Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
title says it all, really

made the mistake of closing my browser. when i opened it back up again, looked like poo poo :chome:

this thread is for positing about computer programs getting worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there is a menu of some sort that I don’t think I can get rid of :rip:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
jfc

"just use vivaldi / brave / safari"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
guess it’s dogshit :chome: for me

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
discord lets me talk to my dnd friends so it’s good in my book

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

isnt brave the one that has a bitcoin miner built in or something?

they deny it, so it definitely does

Armitag3 posted:

remember iceweasel

remembering it right now and loling

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Cat Face Joe posted:

that's not what it's for anymore. it's for buying nitro and exclusive reaction emojis

oh yeah. I lold about the idea of paying for nitro or w/e to a friend and he told me that he did so to support the product or something. almost as bad as paying for a search engine

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

echinopsis posted:

op should turn on their monitor

nice try but my current screen is glossy so I can see my hideous visage anyway

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Cat Face Joe posted:

i had a job that required failfox, chome, and an outdated version of internet exploder. the contract cjs would have to manually install them so you could run all the lovely internal apps

I’m glad that your life has improved since then, op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
gmail is ok but is firmly in the “every six months it gets slightly worse due to google trying to fix things” territory

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:chome:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
smdh at having to read docs for a browser extension

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Internet Old One posted:

I remember arguing against Slack and everyone was like “shut up nerd they let you use your dork IRC client anyhow”. I knew it was a trick but there was no way to explain it to anyone who didn’t already think so without sounding crazy.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I have used the Internet since it first existed. I never used UUCP, though occasionally I sent emails to addresses that specified further transmission via UUCP.

I am careful in how I connect to the internet.

Specifically, I refuse to connect through portals that would require me to identify myself, or to run any nontrivial nonfree Javascript code. I use LibreJS to prevent nonfree Javascript code from running..

I don't mind giving an identity that isn't really me, in order to connect, if that works. That does not violate my privacy.

I often connect in a person's home. The person of course knows who I am, but I have no objection to that. What I would object to is putting my identity in a database that can be searched. I prevent that by changing my mac address at each location.

I am careful in how I use the Internet.

I generally do not connect to web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites I have some special relationship with. I usually fetch web pages from other sites by sending mail to a program (see https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them, much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly. I usually try lynx first, then a graphical browser if the page needs it.

I occasionally also browse unrelated sites using IceCat via Tor. Except for rare cases, I do not identify myself to them. I think that plus Tor plus LibreJS is enough to prevent my browsing from being associated with me. IceCat blocks tracking tags and most fingerprinting methods.

I never run nonfree Javascript on my browser, unless LibreJS finds it to be trivial.

I never pay for anything on the Web, because that generally requires running nonfree Javascript code in my browser. It also requires identifying myself. I never identify myself to buy any product.

I avoid paying with credit cards generally. That page describes a very few exceptions.

For freedom's sake, insist on paying cash. When a business pressures you to pay in an identified way, it's your chance to defend freedom by saying, "If you won't take my cash, no sale!"

I would not mind paying for a copy of an e-book or music recording on the Internet if I could do so anonymously, and it treated me justly in other ways (no DRM or EULA). But that option almost never exists. I keep looking for ways to make it exist.

For searching, I often DuckDuckGo. Thanks to Tor and LibreJS, it does not identify me.

I used to use searx to search specifically for images, but this no longer works: specifying search for images now depends on nonfree Javascript code. Unless and until this is fixed, I no longer use searx.

I also sometimes use ixquick.com. My usual precautions should stop them from knowing it is me.

Since several years ago, I cannot directly access Google search. It sends me a broken CAPTCHA. I suspect the reason it tries to send me a CAPTCHA is that I am coming through Tor. I would answer the CAPTCHA if that worked, but it does not.

I suspect that the reason the CAPTCHA is broken is that it depends on nonfree Javascript that it tries to run in my computer. I refuse to let that run. I am not willing to let Google see where I am, so I won't bypass Tor.

However, the Librex proxies have worked around that problem. They enable me to access Google Search indirectly, and they work correctly through Tor with LibreJS enabled.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

JAnon posted:

that should be its own emote

already have a chedge emote :nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

git apologist posted:

i can never really vibe with how mad people get about ui changes, i honestly don’t even really notice them. i guess im a loving idiot

spoken like a true dock on the right side of the screen -er