Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

What Happens Next
is a webcomic started in 2021 centered around a murder in the midwest and its ongoing impact in the community. Though Griffin Petty is behind bars, his actions continue to haunt the community, especially the terminally online teens who were closest to the victim.

The comic centers on a young transgender man, Milo Holliday, who was close to the killer when the whole thing kicked off, and does a fantastic job of capturing the spirit of the 2010s internet. It's been years since the heyday of Twilight Sparkle and Karkat Vantas, but thanks to the collective trauma of the event, Milo and his former friends were never really able to grow up. The comic explores how online spaces, specifically Tumblr and Youtube, shaped and continue to shape peoples' real-world relationships. There's a Steven Universe-adjacent traumacore kind of vibe to the art that does a great job setting the tone.

Most of the characters are some flavor of queer or on the spectrum, and they're very much the sort of real-rear end people you keep running into in your teens and twenties. The comic does an excellent job of weighing these characters with an even hand and really trying to deconstruct the kind of binary moralism that social media always resorts to. I'm constantly vacillating between hating Milo and pitying him, and the fact that a webcomic of all things is able to get me to really analyze why I feel that way rather than leading me by the nose to a conclusion is a rare thing.

So this comic is good and you should read it, especially if you're gay or thirty or like to think about how social media broke people's brains forever. It's been on a brief hiatus but it looks like the artist is gearing up to start releasing new pages again, so now's a good time to catch up. I've heard this one get mentioned briefly in the webcomics thread, but I think there's a lot to discuss and it definitely deserves its own thread. The story is told out of sequence, so don't worry too much if you're a little lost in the first few pages. A good rule of thumb is that any time something is in one single color, it's probably a flashback. Don't be afraid to click over to the characters page if you're having trouble keeping them straight.

For bonus points: Read the comments under each page. As the comic has become more popular, it has started to attract the sort of people it's depicting, some of whom seem to miss the point as they delve into arguments about which character is the good guy and which one is the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

WHN is so good, a modern masterpiece. More people should read it - it's unflinchingly real but never loses empathy for the people it's portraying.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Calculon's back! Hiatus is over! That is all.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i am ready for things to get Even Worse

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I binged through the archive of this a little while back and then got concerned like, last week with how long it'd been since an update.

Everyone sucks in this comic, it's so good.