Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
This is kind of a weird story.

Every time I come back from a vacation and I turn my screen on, I see something like this:

These weird lines cover the whole screen at the start, and it then, kind of line by line horizontally, becomes clearer, even though sometimes the lines will come back.
It takes a couple of hours for it all to clear up. Then next morning, it'll do the same, but clear up faster. And then after that, all is well.

This is a Samsung screen (LC34H890WJUXEN) I bought a little over four years ago, and I've used it a lot, so I can accept it failing a bit.

It's just something that only happens when I come back from vacation, and that's kind of a frustrating moment.
The screen is connected to a power bar that is off when I'm not home. I've noticed this happening in March and now in October. I don't think it's a temperature thing, since it's always above 15C in my house even when I'm gone.

It this a thing anyone has ever seen before? How worried should I be that next time, it's not going to come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try another video cable and see if the same behavior occurs.

You could also try running one of those dead pixel fix videos and see if it makes the issue go away faster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjdrMuKpaCI

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Oh, yeah, I did also try with my HDMI cable to my laptop instead of the DP cable to the desktop. Didn't make a difference, so I think I'm ready to conclude it's in the screen itself.

The dead pixel fix video is a good idea to try the next time, just to see if it helps resolve it faster, thanks!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

EricBauman posted:

Oh, yeah, I did also try with my HDMI cable to my laptop instead of the DP cable to the desktop. Didn't make a difference, so I think I'm ready to conclude it's in the screen itself.

The dead pixel fix video is a good idea to try the next time, just to see if it helps resolve it faster, thanks!

It sounds like it needs a flex cable resoldered. It's a repair TV techs usually are able to do, good luck finding any! There are monitor repair places that will charge an arm and a leg. Any warranty on this? How old is it, sometimes you can get an extended warranty if you bought it with a good credit card.

Search youtube for "lcd flex cable" to get an idea of what you're dealing with.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

down1nit posted:

It sounds like it needs a flex cable resoldered. It's a repair TV techs usually are able to do, good luck finding any! There are monitor repair places that will charge an arm and a leg. Any warranty on this? How old is it, sometimes you can get an extended warranty if you bought it with a good credit card.

Search youtube for "lcd flex cable" to get an idea of what you're dealing with.

Looking at the videos, I think you may be right about the source of the issue.

I bought the monitor in late 2019, so it's out of warranty, and Dutch credit cards don't do poo poo for consumers, sadly.

It's going to be hard to find someone who can repair it, and likely nor worth it with how old the screen is. I'll probably pay a third or half of what a new screen would cost, and other parts are going to start failing soon too. I think it's better to just set apart some money for when it finally doesn't recover from the problem or has some other issue it can't recover from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

EricBauman posted:

Looking at the videos, I think you may be right about the source of the issue.

I bought the monitor in late 2019, so it's out of warranty, and Dutch credit cards don't do poo poo for consumers, sadly.

It's going to be hard to find someone who can repair it, and likely nor worth it with how old the screen is. I'll probably pay a third or half of what a new screen would cost, and other parts are going to start failing soon too. I think it's better to just set apart some money for when it finally doesn't recover from the problem or has some other issue it can't recover from

It's definitely a nice screen, I reckon if there were an interested repair shop/hobbyist, you could probably sell it for a couple :euro10bux: as a test of their skills? I mean the power supply in there is still worth a little bit. Likely USB repeaters/displayport demuxers blah blah, nothing worth a lot though.