Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Running up the score is bad in like 7th grade ymca leagues, but at the pro level it’s on the losing team to play better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005

dokmo posted:

The pacers' defense has somehow allowed opponents to shoot 85% on free throws.

e and 40% on threes!

i have a theory that when a team gets a bad reputation on defense other teams come in and shoot even highly contested shots at a higher percentage, on top of all the easy buckets the bad defense gives up. knowing the opponent can't play D gives a psychic barrier to even hard contests.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Running up the score isn't bad in my opinion. However, I think it's bad generally to have a system that is going to force players to play more minutes than they need to play meaninglessly or I guess meaningfully for a point differential when there are in my opinion better ways to handle the tiebreaker.

Like having starters in the game in the fourth quarter with a 25 to 30 point lead just because you need to increase the point differential is just begging for someone to eat an injury and generally just putting more minutes on people pointlessly.

Like if you run up the score over the course of a game regularly then that's fine to me, but I hate a system that is designed for you to do so. In a game like basketball where there are just so many scoring chances and so many ways for something bad to happen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
No Nwin November

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s weird is I do t think literally anyone has brought up running up the score as a sportsmanship thing but that’s all people are talking about

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s weird is I do t think literally anyone has brought up running up the score as a sportsmanship thing but that’s all people are talking about

I think Paul George did?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Papes posted:

Running up the score is bad in like 7th grade ymca leagues, but at the pro level it’s on the losing team to play better

running up the score is a distinctly american phenomenon; in cricket and soccer it’s even considered rude to stop trying

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Billy Donovan did in the presser
https://twitter.com/byjuliapoe/status/1729701854030802957

Frank Vogel said similar things.

Booker, Josh Hart, DeRozan, and others have all chimed in. Most players are saying that it was unusual or kinda awkward but the result of the tourny layout. DeRozan actively said it was disrespecting the game.

So there's been quite a bit of chatter around it from players/coaches

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
The problem with the tiebreaker being quarters won is that it could still end up causing situations where starters are in late despite a game being a blowout, in order to ensure they win the 4th quarter.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It’s disrespecting the game for the bulls to suck so much

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bam adebayo also came out and said that running up the score at the end of the tourney games hurts the integrity of the NBA which is the first uncool thing I've seen him do in years smh bam

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

slave to my cravings posted:

It’s disrespecting the game for the bulls to suck so much

haters vacate

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

The problem with the tiebreaker being quarters won is that it could still end up causing situations where starters are in late despite a game being a blowout, in order to ensure they win the 4th quarter.

Yes, but it could also just make it only 1st through 3rd quarters count for points, the 4th doesn't count but a game win is 4 or 5 points.

The big issue with quarters as a tie breaker is that it's much easier to tie in total "quarter/win points" than total point differential and you have to come up with some other deciding tie breaker.

Currently these are:

Total Points (Total PTS) in group stage
Prior Seasons Regular Season record

If kept, total points would become a more likely tiebreaker and teams would still be pressured to play their stars in the 4th quarter.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah if we are going to call it a heightened injury risk then sure, that's clearly true.

But also who cares? You want to reduce injury risk dramatically? Cut the season in half.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Make the tie breaker based on smallest point differential so that teams have to flirt with letting opponents back in the game and clutch scoring

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

in the majority of sports it is seen as being disrespectful to your opponent to not try to score as much as you can.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

Thats less likely but at least that'd be fun. It's more interesting to watch two teams actually try to win a quarter than 1 team try to win by 40.

I mean, I think this is a small problem overall. Overall the seeding worked.

Papercut posted:

Make the tie breaker based on smallest point differential so that teams have to flirt with letting opponents back in the game and clutch scoring

See this is what I like. Tie breaker is whoever took the fewest free throws.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also in Soccer they absolutely pull star players near the end or play prevent keepaway if they have a lead so I don't know where all of this "Holier than Thou" bullshit is coming from. It's the exact same thing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lockback posted:

Also in Soccer they absolutely pull star players near the end or play prevent keepaway if they have a lead so I don't know where all of this "Holier than Thou" bullshit is coming from. It's the exact same thing.

Usually if a side has a lead of three goals, they'll start pushing forward as normal. Sometimes with a lead of two, but not often.

I agree it's a bad analogy and soccer fans are a bit sanctimonious about it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah like I said I like it generally, I just think point differential is a bit of a weird tiebreaker.

But the Rules are the rules, so I'm not mad at the teams that did it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Monty must always have someone who draws his ire. Who was it in NO?

quote:

There was early word during training camp that Williams’ affinity for Detroit’s pair of rookies, Ausar Thompson and Marcus Sasser, was shoving Ivey onto the backburner.

Williams didn’t hold any meeting or direct communication with Ivey at the beginning of the season to share he would be playing off the pine.

“There wasn’t anything said,” Ivey told Yahoo Sports. “Once I saw what was going on, coming off the bench was no problem for me. I love every single one of these dudes in here. I’d ride for them any day. Coming off the bench isn’t a confidence thing or a downer for me. I’m still confident in my game and play the same way.”

If Ivey remains on precarious footing, rest assured rival front offices will be dialing the Pistons.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

maybe Monty sucks at this head coaching thing has anyone considered that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Aye Doc posted:

impossible he's making so much money

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Just trashing Ivey for nothing is such a bad reason. Oh one of the fastest guys with a ball in his hand in the league, who learned how to change speeds last year and looked like a future starting 2 guard, or at very least a great 6th man, now getting no burn at all.

We know he couldn't play defense. That's what coaching is for. Just benching him for nothing is obviously not a motivating factor. This also burns detroit in other players eyes, like I don't want to be drafted/sign there. Monty could just start to hate me and gently caress my career up.

Monty needs to loving grow up and play his roster

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Just trashing Ivey for nothing is such a bad reason. Oh one of the fastest guys with a ball in his hand in the league, who learned how to change speeds last year and looked like a future starting 2 guard, or at very least a great 6th man, now getting no burn at all.

We know he couldn't play defense. That's what coaching is for. Just benching him for nothing is obviously not a motivating factor. This also burns detroit in other players eyes, like I don't want to be drafted/sign there. Monty could just start to hate me and gently caress my career up.

Monty needs to loving grow up and play his roster

Isn't he getting like 22 mpg? My mpg he's their 7th man

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Aye Doc posted:

I don't think he's doing a good job right now and I think his last couple months in Phoenix were pretty rough, liked him a lot before that.

There was some coach who I saw said the most valuable thing that they ever had was that year after they were fired because it was enough time to see what they did wrong and to absorb new stuff via consulting (plus I'm sure it's a lot easier to be unemployed when you have a muti-million dollar check hitting the bank like most coaches do). Monty just jumped right which in retrospect might have been a mistake but also that's too much money to pass on.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm just gobsmacked he's giving the Ayton treatment immediately to Ivey instead of the more natural and logical choices in Bagley and Wiseman

Or...maybe this is his way of showing he's changed???

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Monty must always have someone who draws his ire. Who was it in NO?

The team didn’t have any youngsters back then. AD and Rivers were the youngest.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Monty likes picking favorites and shunning one stupid bitch. I wonder which member of the pistons he has said could marry his daughter? That was Landry shamet last time

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Basketball is a hard sport to not run up the score because you have to take a shot within 24 seconds and you get a lot of possessions. You can’t start taking shot clock violations until under a minute.

Leaving your starters out there to stat pad on the end of another team’s bench would be tacky, but if it’s the end of one bench still outplaying the end of another team’s bench, the scores gonna get worse and there’s nothing you can really do about it.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Monty likes picking favorites and shunning one stupid bitch. I wonder which member of the pistons he has said could marry his daughter? That was Landry shamet last time

https://x.com/omarisankofa/status/1680018583873630208?s=20

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Take My Daughter - Please!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Tre_Potts/status/1730410461026218171?t=306rW1WELtkqtIox9jG7cw&s=19

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

temple posted:

The Heat are like Anton Chigurh getting hit by the car and then some innocent kids help him and he gets away again.

lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Giddey's totally normal year continues

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1730608936347119956

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Didn’t shamet get that wild contract and be playoff unplayable

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s way more disrespectful to the game that Drummond still can’t hit free throws

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Isn't he getting like 22 mpg? My mpg he's their 7th man

He got like 30 minutes a game for a five minute stretch going back a couple games, which was great. Then he went to 18 and 11 minutes the last couple games. I mean they were actually in the 11 minute game so maybe he's on to something.

I think young players need defined roles and not to be messed around with so they can grow comfortable in a role and not have to worry about that.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Isentropy posted:

Didn’t shamet get that wild contract and be playoff unplayable

lol basically yes. He had one actual good game in the playoffs last season actually but he was totally awful otherwise. Think it was in the clippers series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

nachos posted:

Kyle Lowry is shooting 46% from 3 on 5 attempts a game

Draymond Green is shooting 46% from 3 also.

As we all expected.