Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’m used to windows 10 automatically restarting after updates but this last time seems extremely weird. On logging in I found that:

Firefox restored tabs from months past research

Cookies for social media, email, twitch, etc all expired

Mods are missing from the Valheim mod manager I’d been using the last few days

Voicemeeter failed to start back up

It almost seems like windows update poo poo the bed and loaded a system restore point but I can’t recall ever running into that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run this to see if the OS drive is okay: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

If the drive is okay then I'd try to update it again and see what happens.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah how many drives does the system have? Is it possible you upgraded an SSD recently and left the old one in? It could be booting from an old install or something too.

Restore points (usually) do not mess with user files, but they definitely uninstall software! where is your valheim mod manager located or supposed to be located? It's probably still there, but uninstalled, tracking with a restore point.

I'd do a backup, ccleaner temp files wipe, a virus scan, HD Sentinel, and then make a new restore point manually before doing an update.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hey guys thanks for the responses, this kinda fell off my radar for a minute because of other projects.

There are several drives but none have old windows installs on them.

This morning I fired my PC back up after being off for a couple days because I needed access behind my desk, and the first thing I notice weird is that backblaze complains my backup state was inherited by another computer and backups are paused as of oct 24 (I opened this thread on the 25th)

Firefox opens with a different set of tabs? All my poo poo is (predictably) logged out. Start menu missing some reorganization I did last week.

Now if I go look at system restore I see one from the Oct 17th and one from Oct 7.

At this point it kinda looks like windows set a system restore, did an update, and during some future reboot ??something?? happens and it rolls back but doesn't give any indication it's done so?

Edit, didn't think to check before but in current state, event log shows installation events going right up until 5 AM Oct 24, and the log coming up this morning shows a Critical noting that the previous shutdown was dirty

Edit edit:
I'm an idiot, the person who helped me do my last round of upgrades reminded me there's an SSD in there with a faulty connector that I forgot about, I bet my jostling the case got it working enough to boot off of and then when I moved it recently the reverse happened. The replacement was a clone so nothing looked off about the boot drive, I dunno why I didn't notice an extra though, maybe windows doesn't display or otherwise like it when two have the same name and signature or some poo poo.

Fucks sake :shobon:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 13, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Great fuckin news mate.