Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

They had a 200 million year run and didn't do much with it. So I'd say, no, there would be no advanced species of space faring Lizard People.

or there was a subset of dinosaurs who became advanced enough to develop a space faring civilization, saw the asteroid coming, and left for a better planet, and the remains of their settlements were long ago eaten by their stupid trex brothers and swallowed up by the vast jungles of that age. every once in a while the distant dinosaur civilization checks up on us but we are still too annoying so they won't come back yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
We've already done those simulations during the early 90s:

Turns out they'd just be super annoying.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Snowy posted:

If an asteroid hadn’t killed off the dinosaurs, would any of them evolved to be really intelligent?

maybe like humans/apes there would have been some smart dinosaurs walking around talking to each other while there’s still mostly dummy dinos

I guess that humans/apes isn’t the best analogy there but whatevs

Maybe, maybe not. Evolution doesn't trend towards intelligence or anything. It's random mutations that may or may not carry over to successive generations depending on conditions, competition, and completely random things that can't be accounted for.

It doesn't have a goal of any sort. It doesn't optimise for the best possible results.

Besides intelligence they would have also have had to separately evolve the capacity for language.

Intelligent also doesn't equal technological. There was nothing to suggest we'd rapidly develop into a species that can fly to the fricking moon until we suddenly did about 11,000 years ago. Before that we'd been living pretty much unchanged for 200000-300000 years. Many more than that if you include the other species of human before us.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why do I triple tap the top of a soda can before opening it? I've done it all my life. I don't know what began the habit, but I do it every single time for any canned beverage I open.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

LuckyCat posted:

Why do I triple tap the top of a soda can before opening it? I've done it all my life. I don't know what began the habit, but I do it every single time for any canned beverage I open.

Dunno, but you're supposed to tap the sides.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You’re supposed to…

https://youtu.be/80HrR1OvLTo?si=zIxg6suVN871zcWZ

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

Check to see if it's an explosive I'd guess.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

LuckyCat posted:

Just like flicking the tiny earring bag full of cocaine before ladling out a line, it's just how it gets done.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's to see if it's a mimic or not. So you tap with your least favored hand, or ideally someone else's.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dr_rat posted:

It's to see if it's a mimic or not. So you tap with your least favored hand, or ideally someone else's.

Drinking soda just hasn't been the same since they stopped putting the little chains on the lids.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is tap water really partially dinosaur pee?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Is tap water really partially dinosaur pee?

Only in classy places who have the money to pay dinosaurs to piss in their water reserves.

It's like the fluoride of the kinky rich.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Is Studio Ghibli pronounced "Ghibli" as in "gif" the way the wrong way, or "gif" the way the right way to say it is?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The right way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

credburn posted:

Is Studio Ghibli pronounced "Ghibli" as in "gif" the way the wrong way, or "gif" the way the right way to say it is?

Who the heck pronounces it "JIF"?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's pronounced sword

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Studio jibbly lol

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Its pronounced Studio Uh-Guh-Hee-Buh-Lee

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

My question is: Why did you resurrect this thread?
WHY COULD YOU NOT LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I need to jump start my car and every instruction says DO NOT CONNECT THE NEGATIVE CLAMPS TO THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL, accompanied by an image of what usually looks to me like negative-to-negative. It says to connect the negative instead to "an unpainted metal surface."

What the gently caress does this mean? Can I just connect it to... like, I don't know, everything on this engine block is too big to clamp to or covered in rubber or what I THINK might be paint? I don't want to blow myself up trying to jump start my car and I feel like such an idiot :(

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Dump your grotesque polluting metal hulk and get some good hiking shoes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I figured it out -- I connected it to a bolt sticking out from something. It just really felt way more dangerous, the directions are too vague for something accompanied by warnings of instant death by electrocution or explosion :(

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

What time is it?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

23:51 where I am.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

What time is it?

18:07

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Stoatbringer posted:

What time is it?

Time for you to get a watch

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if ten baboons were stranded on a island how many of them would prefer to eat coconuts versus eating clams

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Did the inventor of the Segway really die while riding on one that malfunctioned? I checked snopes but couldn't find anything.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Outpost22 posted:

Did the inventor of the Segway really die while riding on one that malfunctioned? I checked snopes but couldn't find anything.

it was the president of the company that bought segway when the inventor sold iirc

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Outpost22 posted:

On his Wikipedia page, (guy who bought it, not the inventor)

quote:

James William "Jimi" Heselden OBE (27 March 1948 – 26 September 2010) was an English entrepreneur. A former coal miner, he became wealthy by manufacturing the Hesco bastion barrier system. In 2009, he bought Segway Inc. He died in 2010 from injuries sustained falling from a cliff while riding his own Segway PT.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
He fell off a CLIFF?!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

What time is it?

9:59

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mozi posted:

if ten baboons were stranded on a island how many of them would prefer to eat coconuts versus eating clams

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

credburn posted:

I need to jump start my car and every instruction says DO NOT CONNECT THE NEGATIVE CLAMPS TO THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL, accompanied by an image of what usually looks to me like negative-to-negative. It says to connect the negative instead to "an unpainted metal surface."

What the gently caress does this mean? Can I just connect it to... like, I don't know, everything on this engine block is too big to clamp to or covered in rubber or what I THINK might be paint? I don't want to blow myself up trying to jump start my car and I feel like such an idiot :(

"Though some may say it’s alright to attach the last negative jumper cable clamp to the negative terminal of the dead battery, this increases the risk of fire or explosion if the jump start doesn’t go as planned. Try to find somewhere away from the battery, to decrease the potential of sparks igniting any hydrogen gas that could be coming from the battery. Safer options include the car’s chassis, a bolt on the engine, the alternator bracket, or a designated grounding terminal away from the battery."

https://www.geturgently.com/blog/how-to-jump-start-a-car

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mozi posted:

Your baboonist question ignores the fact that baboons have individual preferences. It's like asking, "Of ten people, how many would prefer to eat a burger vs. eating Chinese food?".

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 23, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is Goons With Spoons woke? :ohdear:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

BigBadSteve posted:

Your baboonist question ignores the fact that baboons have individual preferences. It's like asking, "Of ten people, how many would prefer to eat a burger vs. eating Chinese food?".

good point, we need a larger sample size

there's 10,000 baboons on the island now

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

buglord posted:

Is Goons With Spoons woke? :ohdear:

Seems unlikely.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

By popular demand posted:

My question is: Why did you resurrect this thread?
WHY COULD YOU NOT LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE

:siren:I THINK I DESERVE A loving ANSWER:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Why do most animals have their testicles on the outside? It seems like the worst place to put them and where all your enemies can get to them.