Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Been slowly playing through this and staying away from threads so this might have been mentioned before but I had to bring this up since I almost accidentally became a speed runner in the Oceanview Hotel probably thanks to my PC barely meeting minimum requirements. I was in the lobby and switched off the Pre-Ritual or whatever scene from the lobby which didn't load the objects blocking the stairwell for a few moments. I walked through, turned around, and the objects had finally loaded. If it wasn't for this already happening in one of the subway rooms earlier I might have thought this was intentional! When it happened in the subway I could still change the scene from where I was blocked in but I couldn't from the stairs so just had to move forward and ended up getting the Climax scene before any of the others. Still did the rest of the hotel but after also falling through the floor a few times in the floor change bathroom I'm going to wait a few moments every time I change a scene or when there's something like the magic doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was kind of disappointed when the FBC showed up in modern clothes, equipment, and flying helicopters instead of using the WWI-ish era stuff you see most of their security staff wearing in the Oldest House. I know that's only because of the weird iconography rules in the House but still. I also only just finished the part where they show up and take Wake so don't quote this with a spoiler block if that does show up later.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Saw credits. Mechanically speaking I think there’s a few stumbles. Maybe this is just me but I never seemed to get a handle on where I was supposed to aim to break a shield. Sometimes I’d do it with a single charge and other times I’d somehow miss entirely, or start hitting a basically stationary Taken and then start missing. This got kind of frustrating in parts particularly during the summoning. It felt like a mistake to try to replicate Children of the Elder God with such a different and slower paced combat system. Felt the same way during Herald of Darkness as well. I adored what was happening around me until I had to kind of fiddle with the inventory and flashlight. For all the faults you can assign to Alan Wake 1 it’s faster paced and less punishing combat lent itself well to those kinds of moments.

I also think the pacing suffered from the semi-open world. Of course part of that is me going to find everything but it always feels necessary. That’s not to say I didn’t like the bespoke parts like exploring Coffee World or Alan’s various levels. It was having to slowly jog through sizable areas to reach an icon I can deal with now or didn’t see before. There was also what seemed to be bugs on the map for when something get collected and cleared or not so things stayed on the map and I always had to go back a few times to make sure I hadn’t missed something.

Anyways I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t love everything else about the game. You bet your rear end I watched the whole movie.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

By the way, is some evidence you can find as Saga gated by difficulty or anything like that? I believe the first game had pages you could only find on the highest difficulty. Despite checking in more than a few places (there’s that pacing again) there were some pieces that I never got and am pretty sure I cannot get.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

There will be a nightmare difficulty DLC down the line that will include some extra manuscript pages and the like, but if you're missing anything it's either bugged or you just missed it. Some of the manuscript pages in particular blend into the background super well, I walked over a few multiple times before realizing they were there. A couple are also permanently missable, like the ones you can find in overlaps.

In that case I wish they had put a big red X through any evidence you couldn’t get any more. It wouldn’t exactly be a stretch for Saga to know something like that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Meiteron posted:

By the time I had hit the endgame my storage was at capacity, full of stuff that was all useful I just had too much of it.

I felt like Alan’s resources were mostly appropriately limited but I did have the same issue with Saga, including the first aid bags. I wanted to use them but why would I carry a heal that will probably get me killed if I need it during a fight? 4 trauma pads (or pads and pills) are infinitely more useful and I could be certain I would find more.

Saga’s charms should have gone in their own separate storage though, like key items.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

site posted:

really getting to enjoy david harewood's expressions this time around

My only regret is that I cannot see Lance Reddick doing the same thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you ever want to understand at least 75% of Sam Lake's/Remedy's writing, remember to ask yourself "What is the most literal meaning of this seemingly important phrase?"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The biggest thing I would add to 2’s combat would be a bit more leeway to the flashlight boost. Nothing as loose as 1 where even the basic beam helps outside of boss enemies but I missed so many boosts when it felt liked I really shouldn’t have.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Remedy should release a Alan Wake 2 gaiden DLC where Jesse shows up to fight the denizens of the dark place by hurling 100 lb. chunks of concrete at near sonic speeds.

it'd probably last about 20 minutes.

The Taken sure but the Dark Presence has proven itself pretty good at hurling large things.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jesse’s dance number was the ashtray maze.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t hate it but it was also obviously trying to be the ashtray maze except on 1/100th of the budget so it just felt cheap.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Taken wearing deer masks are I assume cult members that were, uh, taken while fighting the Dark Presence after they failed to properly kill Taken-Nightingale. They’re now fighting you. That’s deliberate so it wasn’t wrong to think you’re fighting the cult all along. The parts in Alan’s story serve to reinforce that but I assumed that stuff didn’t actually happen as written. I know real-Casey talks about a real murder cult in NYC but I doubt what turns out to be a community watch group in Washington state took trips to NYC to do some ritual murder.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When you find yourself playing as a supporting character in (maybe) non-canon DLC you might just be in… Night Springs.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If it’ll make you feel better I’ll edit that out in the next loop.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s a couple of times as Saga when solving an optional puzzle as soon as you find it before a boss is absolutely the best thing to do.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just don’t put it on Nightmare (on PC).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

site posted:

But AN really does set up how the dark place and scratch work, all that continues into aw2. the only real change is scratch's "personality"

The biggest letdown of AW2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kchama posted:

lol, wonder if they'd say that about literally any guy character with the same exact skillset.

That spot added like two weeks to the time it took me to beat the game, because there was a chair in the way to the kitchen in the back you have to go through and it blocked me from progressing. Prolly would have been easy to push past normally, but it was different to do that WHILE dodging instakill attacks from multiple people.

Same thing almost happened to me. I was running toward the door and saw the chair slide into place and I got halfway through a “gently caress!” and then I hit the right spot for Alan to push it back the way it came.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Herald of Darkness is a great song in-game but without that context it’s not as good as Take Control or Children of the Elder God or even Late Goodbye.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I imagine Nightingale is a casualty of its development. Game was originally open world so I can see a game where Nightingale shows up a bunch with a different author name every time (instead of throwing out a dozen in every scene) and Alan always manages to escape every trap, somehow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jesse remembered the movie.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Enemies will also just drop boxes of ammo and batteries if you’re low. Though batteries remained pretty tight for me because I always seemed to be aiming at just the wrong spot.

As for combat in 1 and 2 it’s not that I dislike it in AW2 at all - the RE2 remake is an obvious comparison and it remains one of my favorite games - but We Sing or the lakeside fight don’t play to its strengths. Fighting the Taken and the shadows is slow, tense, and surprisingly precise but those parts get some bombastic music going and throw a lot of enemies at you all at once which you’re expected to tear through quickly. We Sing gives you the flare gun but even with that the fighting didn’t really match everything else that was going on and the lakeside just had way too many enemies. I also realized I should have kept the double barrel shotgun instead of using the pump action because that reload speed is agonizingly slow, which would be great in almost any other context in the game but at the lake got me killed a couple times.

It feels like instead of big showy rock music the game should have gone with something slower and more sinister but still rock. I can’t think of an example but I’m sure something exists.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9dyNh5Qxy8

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

As I approach the halfway point of my playthrough of NG+ (decided to just blast through Saga's side before going further than We Sing as Alan) I've got one question that's remained with me since my first playthrough. Am I just unobservant and missed a bunch of clues each time? Like my first playthrough I've got massive chunks of Saga's case board missing, not to mention the usual clues that have remained "available later" like a bunch of stuff from Tor. Especially since I have the Mayor Setter charm I'm pretty confident I haven't missed any clues that get marked on the map. What am I missing? Or is there just a bunch of stuff you aren't meant to find?

I wasn't missing what I'd call a massive chunk of clues but there were some I never got either despite going everywhere I could. I don't know if it was because of bugs or maybe I needed to go talk to someone in a different location at a very specific point that I missed. I vaguely recall a few that feel like they should have come from Rose but I never got any new dialogue with her.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

We’re never really going to know if Alan is a good writer or not because we only see extremely small snippets. Even the “pages” we find wouldn’t take up even 1/4 a standard novel page.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The natural follow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6eGRh_tpDU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not saying that isn't good overall but a publisher selling an IP for the (relatively) paltry amount they've paid for development on the first game's sequel seems like it means 505 isn't doing great and that might also mean Control 2 could face issues as well since Remedy will need to find another publisher or fund it themselves.