Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Caidin posted:

I never figured out if Thomas Zane created Alan with his writing, or if Alan created TZ with HIS writing, or if the Old Gods of Asgard did with their music, or if somehow they all created each other.

I saw a pretty good youtube theory video that proposes the idea that Zane was the original protagonist of the book that the dark presence wanted Wake to write, and his existance is just a holdover from when Alan broke from it's influence and changed the story so that Alan himself became the new protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Is that really just a theory? A GAME THEORY I always thought that was the intended interpretation, that Zane was essentially just an earlier draft of Alan before he started writing himself directly into the story.

Dunno, I could see how someone could interpret Zane as a real person who discovered the lake before Alan did but failed to escape. The whole reality altering power of the lake kinda fucks up the concept of a true order of events.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Rookersh posted:

The problem is while this interpretation is neat we know from Alan Wake 1/Control that The Presence can't actually create. It can only take/corrupt. It can alter reality, but cannot create new realities.

Which puts a huge damper on that idea. Alan can't have created Zane, because Zane couldn't be created. Unless Zane was already someone who was living in the region with Barbara.

The only way that would work is if Zane and Barbara were in Bright Falls when Alan arrived, and after losing Alice at the cabin he wrote them into the story in such a way. Which is possible? I guess? But is kinda hosed up tbh and I don't think the intended system, especially since it'd mean the entire first part of Alan Wake wasn't real which isn't really implied at all.

Gonna address your points, but note that I haven't played 2 yet so if the new game contradicts me, I'll simply stand corrected.

The first game makes it clear that the Dark Presence, while powerful in it's own right, doesn't wield the ability to alter our reality on it's own. It needs someone from our world with a creative mind to manipulate in order to do so. Otherwise, it could just sit at the typewriter itself and be a god.

My interpretation is that the Zane backstory really happened, he was real, tried to resurrect his wife, unleashed the presence, and decided the only solution was to retroactively delete himself from reality, thereby undoing his mistake. Zane is now truly gone. Later, Alan is trapped in the dark place and manipulated into writing a horror story about Zane unleashing the Dark Presence into our world except without the deleting himself part, thereby negating the real Zane's original solution. Alan realizes what is happening and changes course by switching the protagonist from Zane to himself. Therefore, anytime we encounter Zane, it's the fictional version from the previous draft that is helping him, not the real person that ceased existing. This is how Zane can leave Alan the shoebox with the clicker. The real Zane had no way of knowing about that, nor did he shape Alan's entire life by writing a single page about his childhood. Alan wrote that himself and attributed it to Zane as part of the narrative.