Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I used to have strong feelings about not using it, I certainly gave up using it like fifteen years ago because of those strong feelings. I don't think I still have those strong feelings any more. I think the harm of using it as a general insult for someone/something being stupid is probably fairly minimal at this point. I do still have strong feelings about not calling a cognitively impaired person that as an insult, though. That seems like a much shittier thing to do. With that said, in my usual social circles it's definitely fallen out of favor as a word over that same fifteen year time span to the point where it just seems sort of tacky to use it, even if I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it. I also don't care when I do find myself in social circles where it is acceptable, I think trying to police other people's language is also kind of tacky.

But, I think whatever your thoughts on the subject, there should be a distinction drawn between using it as a slur, and saying it. Saying "r-word" just seems really childish to me and I'm not going to do this weird verbal dance around it. If there's a legitimate reason to say a word, like discussing it, then just say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU