Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
It's fun watching the word that used to be the right word become the wrong word. I hope I live long enough to see it happen over and over. Language is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
So will all the other words people come up with as a better word. Every clinical work for a disability will eventually become an insult. Changing the word doesn't change the problem. Moron, idiot and cretin all used to be clinical terms.

I'm quite willing to stop using any word that pisses someone off, but don't think getting rid of the "R word" will solve the fundamental problem that people outside the "norm" get treated poorly.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
It will just become a standard insult, just like dumb. I don't think anyone uses it to refer to mute people.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Bastard used to be an unthinkable insult, now people throw ir around all the time. The R word will get there, it's just the nature of language.