Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Given the neutral connotations, like the example of retard compression, the medical community should make sure the next slur they're gonna invent is entirely novel. That way, the term is only going to exist as a slur, which will reduce harm to people affected by the slur and also not cast innocent mechanics as assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Artificial Kid posted:

One commonly used alternative is "developmentally/intellectually delayed" which makes it all the more maddening that we've ceded this ground to the assholes because delayed literally has the same meaning as retarded. I wish there were a way to just shut the assholes up so the rest of us can get on with life. It feels like we've all collectively said to the bullies "Oh gosh we are so sorry, sir, we didn't even realise you wanted that word, we'll find another one to use".
Isn't that what's been happening since forever? Like SamuraiFoochs said, the basic sentiment behind the slur is different from others, as it's basically referring to someone being the opposite of a near-universally valued quality. Like, the path to getting people to stop using a slur is:

A: Convincing them that using the slur is bad for them personally (On the balance, I lose social standing when I use this word)
B: Convincing them that the thing the slur represents isn't bad (Black people aren't inferior to white people)

B is a far harder hurdle to clear for any word meaning "Of (extremely) low intelligence" than it is for "dude has a different skin color", and that reflects back on A because it changes the social dynamic. Convincing people that being of (extremely) low intelligence is of such low importance that it becomes near irrelevant is the actual task at hand if you want to avoid people using the word retarded, or its upcoming alternatives.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

tehslime posted:

No they’re considered medically outdated.
"I'm sorry, there's no easy way to say this, so I'll just cut straight to the point: Your child is medically outdated."