Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kavros posted:

Was just having a discussion about this over a father who's been working in automotive engineering for big diesel engines like that they put in school busses and semis, or "diesel pushers" which go on the back of tour busses or exceptionally large motorhomes, and frequently has to talk about, say, retarded ignition timing. Or retard compression.

Their individual solution after a dirty look incident was to avoid verbally discussing such things over the phone in a public place or anywhere its use could be accidentally offensive. Because when we're talking about the world at large and its general usage, it is a slur primarily used to punch down as it can to equip sophomoric cruelty, and it shouldn't be a complicated question about intentionally omitting it when asked.

So an automotive engineer was overheard saying “retard” within the context of his work, received a dirty look from passerby, and …. decided to never use such language in public again? Seems like an overreaction to me, especially given that that the pejorative use of the word “retard” is pronounced differently than the verb “retard”.

In my experience most people are able to use context clues to determine when someone is being bigoted or not. Say I hear someone talking about “fixing their tranny” .. I can presume they are likely referring to repairing the transmission in their car—and not sterilizing a transgender individual. Same thing goes for the use of “retard” in an industrial setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU