Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think, as a person with a disability, the sentiment is the really important thing. The slur that applies to my disability is "spastic" and I know it was mainly a bigger thing in the UK than in North America, but honestly... it doesn't really bother me in and of itself. If you use that word in a way that's not obviously mean, that's okay. If you use an "acceptable" word or phrase to say a mean-spirited thing, the words themselves are irrelevant: you're doing a bad thing.

To give an example: I was playing darts with a friend of mind (who did happen to be English, and of an older generation), and he made a poo poo throw and cursed himself "oh, you spastic bastard!" That's not offensive, in my opinion. If he said it to a third person who was playing with us, that'd be questionable. If he said it to me, after I made a poo poo throw, that would be very offensive. But also I knew him well, we were good friends and I knew he wouldn't say anything with the intention of being hurtful toward me.

To say that a word is offensive in any or all contexts is ridiculous, in my opinion. One of the reasons is because it infantilizes the people who are the target of the slur, because it implies that we can't distinguish the difference between the word itself and the intent behind it. On the flipside, it excuses, to some extent, the intent of a very hurtful comment without the coarse language, and therefore I see it as a way in which society launders its repugnant opinions about disadvantaged groups by ensuring that everyone uses the correct language. We wouldn't want to be rude, after all.

That being said, I would of course try to minimize my use of a word that is widely considered to be offensive. That's simply common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU