Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Misunderstood posted:

Like, poor reasoning is currently causing (and always has caused) gigantic problems in the world, and I think a lot of things about society would have to change before we, as a society, mentally decouple reasoning and cognition, if such a thing is possible.

“Poor reasoning” “high cognitive capacity”

What exactly do you mean by reasoning. I think a much more accurate way to think about this is that there is a list of things brains do and characteristics of how particular brains work. There is also a list of signals brains get from senses and other parts of the brain.

Each of these things could be present or absent. Each could express early or late. Each could have the volume turned way up or way down.

A brain might might have verbal comprehension and visual spatial three standard deviations above the mean and working memory two deviations below. Another brain might not perceive social signals or have the volume way down on them but then have extremely high working memory but also low impulse control.

It’s extremely complicated and it all expresses in extremely complicated ways. A person can be have extremely high cognitive capacity and simultaneously multiple disabilities.

So when I read “poor reasoning” “is currently causing (and always has caused) gigantic problems “. I see a gross simplification “poor reasoning” followed by a subjective value judgement “is currently causing (and always has caused) gigantic problems”.

You are defending the idea that you can call people who’s decisions you disagree with, stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU