Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im gonna be traveling and so late on board game and the next few. keep posting stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Boardgame Binge

The smoke is made of meeple!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the decanter rocks lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Boardgame Binge

hell yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

that's uncannily close to the real thing

it’s all basic primitive shapes with emissive shaders in eevee. the shirts were the hard part, they’re filled curves. and then i applied a little random noise on everything to make it less “perfect” looking. only hard part was doing the black outlines

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

toiletbrush posted:

Boardgame Binge

:sickos:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I got nothing for Sailing Story, had no time. I had literally one hour in a cafe and this is what I managed to come up with lol

fart you gotta have something

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i will. but im visiting my father in law for a long weekend and thusly derailed on my nodevember schedule

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

I got nothing for Sailing Story, had no time. I had literally one hour in a cafe and this is what I managed to come up with lol

fart you gotta have something

it looks good enough!

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Weird Wardrobe

Boardgame Binge

By far the quickest and easiest one to make, yet I think it might be my favorite.

Sailing Story

Bubble Bath

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
those are all great, Weird Wardrobe is probably my fave, how did you do it?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Bubble Bath

the distortion making it look like the steam is rising is purely luck :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Komojo posted:

Weird Wardrobe

Boardgame Binge

By far the quickest and easiest one to make, yet I think it might be my favorite.

Sailing Story

Bubble Bath

all of these are great. weird wardrobe made me laugh and reminded me of a 2005/2006 era photoshop phriday thread where someone made a "i went to asymmetrical planet and all i got was this lousy F shirt" thing and i still laugh at that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Bubble Bath

the distortion making it look like the steam is rising is purely luck :(

looks like steam to me!

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

those are all great, Weird Wardrobe is probably my fave, how did you do it?

This what the shirts look like before subdivision:

Each arm has a switch that toggles whether or not it extrudes a rectangle.

I was trying to set it up to be randomized, but this method doesn't work for some reason. This is actually one of several frustrating things in the geometry nodes that seems like it should work but doesn't behave the way I expect.
Instead, I just made separate input for the arms in the geometry node modifier and toggled them by hand.

I also shifted the hue and grid size for the material based on the object index, similar to what I did for "Museum Maze."

It would also be nice if I could randomize the object positions in the geometry nodes, but I don't know if there's an easy way to do that other than placing a bunch of group nodes. I just made separate objects that I placed by hand and then ran a cloth simulation. I'm going to say that counts as procedurally generated.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Komojo posted:

Weird Wardrobe

i think this is my favourite for simple visual punch on a theme so far

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

board game binge

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mostly done with the l systems. and made a cool little loft curves thing to make the little flower pots from a a collection of input curves

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

that's uncannily close to the real thing

revisiting this post while sailing story renders out. the whole thing is just some perspective tricks, as u can see when you look behind the curtain

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sailing story. this is the least time ive spent on one yet, but one of the ones im happiest with the result on

e: imgur really mangled that video w/ heavy compression lol

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1093004633313660960/1176544454837030983/sailing_story_2.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/R32Wp6Z.mp4

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 21, 2023

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rly cute

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cool thing i did on this one was i made a little helper node group that lets me input any 2d curve and get x and y paramaterized curves out, so i can put those into a float curve node or something for fine tuning

like here i used the pen tool to draw this "wave"

and then it gives me these which are the x and y position paramaterized by index:

so then i can draw those shapes into a float curve node, and adjust it for smoothing or to fine tune the shape:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ya! I really like how it turned out

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

sailing story. this is the least time ive spent on one yet, but one of the ones im happiest with the result on

e: imgur really mangled that video w/ heavy compression lol

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1093004633313660960/1176544454837030983/sailing_story_2.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/R32Wp6Z.mp4

that is really cool. it reminds me of something i cant quite place. like an old music video or something.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

finding neverland? though I think it’s been used as a stylistic choice in a lot of media over the decades

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Could easily be a shot from a wes anderson film (e: as a compliment)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kinda looks like the waves are made from paper and not the more traditional medium - water

regardless, it’s actually good. fart simpsons is the erindale of nodes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Boardgame Binge

btw, how did you do the chess pieces? they look like a screw modifier or something, and i can think of a few ways to do it but none of them would be that clean

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

post hole digger posted:

that is really cool. it reminds me of something i cant quite place. like an old music video or something.

it's very similar to a ps4 dynamic theme they gave away for free for a time. i use it on my ps4 in fact!

v cute render fart. also there's just a ton of amazing work in this thread, i'm just lurking because i don't blender but y'all are some talented folks

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart you promised me a tutorial. where's my tutorial, fart?

every time I look itt I wish I could make anything even half as cool

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

btw, how did you do the chess pieces? they look like a screw modifier or something, and i can think of a few ways to do it but none of them would be that clean

Here's my best guess:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
everyone who posts in this thread is doing amazing poo poo

I am incapable of learning geonodes but I have a pretty good understanding of how much work and thought has gone into these and it’s worthy

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Bluemillion posted:

Here's my best guess:
Yeah that's basically how I did it, except instead of starting with a curve, I used a cylinder and set the radius of that. your way is cleaner + more flexible though, I'll do that from now on

I wish there was a way of having float-curves as inputs to Groups, cos I keep building groups that do basically that ^^^ and it's really tedious, but you can't really abstract it properly cos the curve you want is stuck 'inside' the group.

echinopsis posted:

I am incapable of learning geonodes but I have a pretty good understanding of how much work and thought has gone into these and it’s worthy
:justpost:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

everyone who posts in this thread is doing amazing poo poo

I am incapable of learning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Here's my best guess:

yeah i figured, but the issue here is the round top geometry gets bad and wrong and the normals look weird

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

we made it into pragmatica's november something to read thread. i would like it if we could get another person or two in here!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

fart you promised me a tutorial. where's my tutorial, fart?

every time I look itt I wish I could make anything even half as cool

im gonna do it. im just way too busy right now lol. the last tutorial video on l systems i made took me like 2 hours irl to record, and then when i was done i realized my screen recorder was set to the wrong resolution and you couldnt see 75% of what i was doing and i had to do it all over lol

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

im gonna do it. im just way too busy right now lol. the last tutorial video on l systems i made took me like 2 hours irl to record, and then when i was done i realized my screen recorder was set to the wrong resolution and you couldnt see 75% of what i was doing and i had to do it all over lol

looking forward to it. tia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

yeah i figured, but the issue here is the round top geometry gets bad and wrong and the normals look weird
yeh this isn't a problem I solved, I just got it as close to ok as I could, and giving it a texture with some subsurface scattering hides most issues

what do you mean by normals looking weird?