Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

:spooky: Where to watch? :spooky:
link removed

:spooky: Movie Night Schedule (Eastern US Timezone) :spooky:
  • 7:30pm EST: Mr Vampire (1985)*
  • 9:10pm EST Intermission: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)
  • 9:40pm EST: Encounter of the Spooky Kind (1980)*
* - Films will be shown with English subtitles

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089371/
Rated: PG-13

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060550/

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080827/
Rated: R

:spooky: Additional Information :spooky:

How gross or scary are these 1980s horror kung fu films? Well... I will warn everyone that both of these films have some typical horror movie scenes, including violence, nudity, weird what the gently caress moments, and campy movie-style gore. Keep in mind these are comedy/fantasy/wuxia movies on top of horror/action, so the main focus is not gross violent stuff.

However, I want to be as up front as possible that two chickens and a snake are shown being killed in these films. It is over quickly and moves on to the next scenes, but it still sucks a lot if you are sensitive to that. This is nowhere near a main focus; just some unfortunate very short scenes that are not abnormal for kung fu films in the era.

Why are the movies subtitled and not dubbed? Trust me; this is the best experience! :3: (I am very picky about my subtitle files for these films!)

What the hell is cytu.be? A way to watch streams, such as movies, with your friends. It keeps everyone in sync with each other and provides a chat room. Even if you show up late, it will catch you up to where everyone is.

Are there special rules for the chatroom? Keep chat messages in line with general SA rules. Please don't spam the chat or make the experience lovely for other people. I have uploaded some SA smilies as well to make us feel at home.

I don't want to watch the Charlie Brown movie! That's fine!! I wanted to give some time for people to take care of things between the two movies. Go get some more drinks and snacks, smoke a bowl, play a video game, whatever! However, some SA store certificate giveaways are planned during intermission!

I have more questions! Reach out to me via PM.

:spooky: If you want, share below if you are planning to attend! :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Postin about hopefully joining for the third movie.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, that's a funny coincidence: we just ran Encounters of the Spooky Kind yesterday for BYOB Movie Nite.

There's two important CWs to mention:
1) at the 42 minute mark, a wizard will behead a live chicken and it's a whole minute until that scene is over
2) on the final 30 seconds of the film, a very lovely WTF scene happens that should basically be skipped over with "and then they divorced, THE END"

Otherwise, it was a fun film. Sadly, on Cytube you can't skip portions of a film, but here's the information anyway.

We were also undecided if we were going with Mr Vampire or this Sammo Hung production, so it's neat to see you go for both.

Also, kind of surprised to see someone else using Cytube. We used to go for that option until earlier this year when the problems mounting kept us from actually broadcasting films and thus our switch to Discord streaming a few months back.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
what issues did you have with cytube? i’ve used it for other non-SA movie nights with no issues.

yeah! i had no idea, great minds think alike, i guess. lmao

and thanks for the content warning info. i am going to add spoiler text to your post for the two points, but i did try to add my own above in the “additional information” section. both mr. vampire and encounter of the spooky kind have chicken killing, which is not abnormal for older kung fu films unfortunately. these types of films can have some pretty WHAT THE gently caress moments, so always be prepared for that.

we won’t be able to skip any portions of the films with cytube.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Pragmatica posted:

what issues did you have with cytube?

A plethora that mainly revolves around Youtube API changing from one moment to another and Cytube not being able to use it as a source for a few days. Regional blocking, age blocking, and other non-embedable issues, plus just plain copyright issues, making it very hard to pick things to watch (since we do twice a week movie watching, having slim pickings was becoming a big issue). Oh, and the randoms joining in on chat and making GBS threads up the place occasionally as soon as they would find a room with more than 6 people.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
ahhh okay. i don’t use youtube for my movie streams. i plan to password protect if it gets randoms spamming chat, but i’m not going to post the channel publicly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Pragmatica posted:

ahhh okay. i don’t use youtube for my movie streams.

Wait, what are you using with Cytube, then? That could be a useful path for us.

Edit: vvvvv appreciated!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 29, 2023

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, what are you using with Cytube, then? That could be a useful path for us.

i will PM you!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

lets loving go. i'm ready for a yuen biao double feature

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I just missed a screening of Mr Vampire the other week. Gonna try to remember this.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I will check it out.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i also have a few surprises for the pre-show (starting about 10 min before the stream) and during the intermission/between the movies. lots of nostalgia for everyone, hint hint!

:spooky:

even if you can't make it for the whole night, that's okay! cytube will jump you right to where we are are in the stream.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
These look great. Hoping to make it to the showings!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Hell yeah! Socialization with other goons while watching goofy movies? I’m there!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I don't know for how many movies but I will show up at some point tonight.
Hopefully at least Charlie Brown, maybe time for the 3rd movie too.

Vertical stats GBS verified 6/30/2023 185.4cm

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm in.

Thanks gibb3h!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
if you are planning to chat in the chatroom, please make an account! it is free, and i dont think it even requires email verification or anything.

see you all in about 30 min! pre-show starts at 7:20pm :3:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
:munch:

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i stopped the halloween music, so if you still hear/see it, you need to refresh to clear the cache.

i will add the pre-show and other files shortly!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
we have started. it looks like i set it up correctly to not need an account so please join in!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

God-loving-damnit, it is not accepting any of the names I'm trying to enter.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The first movie is very bad and I can't wait to get back to see the second one. If it's half as bad as the first one it will be a grand time.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Bored posted:

God-loving-damnit, it is not accepting any of the names I'm trying to enter.

oh no!! keep trying, add random numbers!

H110Hawk posted:

The first movie is very bad and I can't wait to get back to see the second one. If it's half as bad as the first one it will be a grand time.

omg... badass you mean?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pragmatica posted:

omg... badass you mean?

No I mean very bad. (This is a good thing.)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Did the room die?

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i think cytube died????

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
okay - it is back!!!!!

reload and it should be in the right spot

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was heavily invested in Vampire Sleepover Challenge (impossible)

Sig by Insane Anime ~thx

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

That was lots of fun, imo and I would like to virtually hang out and watch silly movies again in the future.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
extremely worth it an pissed i ended up missing like the first half

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Glad I stuck around for the end. :stare:

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Could have done with a content warning ahead of time on the ending of the last film.
Otherwise enjoyable, cheers.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

Could have done with a content warning ahead of time on the ending of the last film.
Otherwise enjoyable, cheers.

i will be honest that i had not seen this movie in several years and had definitely forgotten about the very last scene. next time, i will definitely be more careful to lay out that type of thing. i remembered the chickens at least... ugh lol

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
thank you everyone for coming to watch movies with me!!!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
they really coulda just skipped this whole thing by breaking the gently caress up or not getting married in the first place

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i showed up late and only caught the ending but holy poo poo lmfao

absolute blood debts tier. no notes.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
10/10 classics of cinema

need to remember to raise my altar

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I wasn't paying attention and missed the last scene what happened?

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

10/10 classics of cinema

need to remember to raise my altar

it is extremely important and powerful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

All time ending frame of cinema.