Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
reincarnation / memory reboot seems like as good an answer as any to "what if eternity gets boring"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think if someone existed for long enough to get bored of it entirely then the idea of wiping your memories to do it all over again seems like a nightmare. It feels even more nihilistic that just wishing for oblivion because you're saying that even your subjective experiences have no meaning to you. You're admitting to yourself and understanding fully that existence was pointless and meant nothing - then deciding to do it all over again.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think if someone existed for long enough to get bored of it entirely then the idea of wiping your memories to do it all over again seems like a nightmare. It feels even more nihilistic that just wishing for oblivion because you're saying that even your subjective experiences have no meaning to you. You're admitting to yourself and understanding fully that existence was pointless and meant nothing - then deciding to do it all over again.

Well it would imply a consciousness and self independent of memory to even have the choice, I would think

Unless we're just talking about technological immortality somehow

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Whichever deity you pleased most in life gives you an offer to stay with them. Often this will be surprise if the Jesus doesn't offer you a place in heaven but Acan says you can go live with him. Or you think you were a real bastard and think you are going to the Abyss but Apollo lets you go to the Elysium fields. Or in some cases you might get competing offers to go live with Kali and Tyr. It's a big decision which the intermediate places you hang out like Purgatory and Sigil exist while the paperwork is being finished, you might have to hang out there a while but it's just like a really long weekend.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

maybeadracula posted:

Well it would imply a consciousness and self independent of memory to even have the choice, I would think

Unless we're just talking about technological immortality somehow

That's the only kind that could possibly be and even then immortality should be in quotation marks.

But yeah I certainly couldn't see myself choosing to do it all over again with no memory if I also had the choice of oblivion. To me they're the same thing except in the former I'm setting up some other poor just like me for a lifetime of suffering until they get so bored of it that they kill themselves.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

That's the only kind that could possibly be and even then immortality should be in quotation marks.

I mean I agree that I think this is probably true but obviously many, many people think otherwise

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
You cross over into a verdant land and see a large picnic taking place. Wandering closer, you see the rest of your deceased extended family having a great time. They see you and they're like "Oh! It's <GOON>, so glad you could make it into eternity! It's great to have you with us!" but the people who know you honestly look a little bummed to see you and the party atmosphere fizzles out in no time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Probably nothing, but what do I know?

weg posted:

Reincarnation is the only cool afterlife idea because gently caress floating around in heaven for eternity that would be so boring.

Reincarnation is basically the only kind of afterlife I can possibly fathom, because nonexistence is basically unimaginable. Plus, even though one in a billion trillion quadrillion zillion chance is still greater than absolute zero, it seems impossible that I only needed one chance to get born into this body, in this city, to this family, on this planet, at this time -- it's not that I'm a superhero or anything, just that I'm not a mayfly or a dinosaur or something.

Also, I feel like if heaven does exist, it could only be everyone's individual heaven simulation to be truly heavenly.

quote:

Though being a detached energy consciousness roaming the endless universe looking for cool poo poo to look at and say "whoa neat" would be ok.

:hmmyes:

quote:

Probably just a void tbh.

:smith:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A psychopomp shows up and you discuss the moment of your death. Then you go over the life you lived. Depending on your beliefs, a subjectively good/bad reckoning happens. Then you are reborn. either in a new life, or you resume your prior one.

Or you opt out because human existence is hosed up

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
worms

lots of worms

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

YeahTubaMike posted:

Reincarnation is basically the only kind of afterlife I can possibly fathom, because nonexistence is basically unimaginable. Plus, even though one in a billion trillion quadrillion zillion chance is still greater than absolute zero, it seems impossible that I only needed one chance to get born into this body, in this city, to this family, on this planet, at this time -- it's not that I'm a superhero or anything, just that I'm not a mayfly or a dinosaur or something.

Yeah this is my take too. There’s a short story called The Egg where a guy dies and finds out every living thing ever is just him reincarnating over and over because linear time doesn’t exist.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Head towards the light if you want more iced cream.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
You become Donald John Trump

Eventually we all become Trump and the Universe reaches a Trumpularity

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 30, 2023

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

HD DAD posted:

Do they seal their butts too

Special glue marketed under the tradename "Rectite".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think you take off your helmet and there's some nervous tech support guy there saying poo poo like "sorry. so sorry for the experience you had. we're still working out some bugs. tell you what, we'll give you half off if you'd like another go round and let you keep one (1) memory from your previous life"

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Genesplicer posted:

Special glue marketed under the tradename "Rectite".

still haven’t caught up with the west and our industry standard a-v closures

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It's ok, I've got another guy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's like Bollywood, but with more BBQ.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ur brother steals all ur animes

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

covidstomper58 posted:

Whichever deity you pleased most in life gives you an offer to stay with them. Often this will be surprise if the Jesus doesn't offer you a place in heaven but Acan says you can go live with him. Or you think you were a real bastard and think you are going to the Abyss but Apollo lets you go to the Elysium fields. Or in some cases you might get competing offers to go live with Kali and Tyr. It's a big decision which the intermediate places you hang out like Purgatory and Sigil exist while the paperwork is being finished, you might have to hang out there a while but it's just like a really long weekend.

can i stay with buddha or one of the asian gods, they seem like the coolest ones

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

When I was very young I thought heaven would be a place you could do anything you wanted for as long as you wanted. Then I wondered - what if I want to meet my friends? Are they forced to hang out with me? Does that mean my grandma could force me to hang out with her all the time?

Then i freaked myself out really badly.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I always reconciled this idea with the concept of playing video games, insomuch as you the person 'playing' the game has complete and total knowledge of the situation, whereas the character your playing has only their limited knowledge from within the game and the seemingly random and unguided drives dictated by you the player. For a while the player might even lose track of their own 'reality and all the knowledge that entails' as they get so immersed in the game but once the game ends the player steps back from the game now armed with the new knowledge of that 'playthrough' added to their sum total library of experience, at which point you can pick a new game or not.

naem
May 29, 2011

DandyLion posted:

I always reconciled this idea with the concept of playing video games, insomuch as you the person 'playing' the game has complete and total knowledge of the situation, whereas the character your playing has only their limited knowledge from within the game and the seemingly random and unguided drives dictated by you the player. For a while the player might even lose track of their own 'reality and all the knowledge that entails' as they get so immersed in the game but once the game ends the player steps back from the game now armed with the new knowledge of that 'playthrough' added to their sum total library of experience, at which point you can pick a new game or not.

can I have Lydia from Skyrim as a follower

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Life: the ultimate roguelike

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Huge amounts of stuff happen after you're dead. It's just that none of it actually involves you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fun fact! The many hydrogen atoms you are currently using were made in The Beginning, in the Big Bang et al....

And you've used them! And when done, you will return them to The Great Stream. Where, at some point later, they will be used again.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
For me at least, either one of two things will happen:

1) nothing (most likely outcome)

2) greeting Satan. Satan, FROM HELL.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

Fun fact! The many hydrogen atoms you are currently using were made in The Beginning, in the Big Bang et al....

And you've used them! And when done, you will return them to The Great Stream. Where, at some point later, they will be used again.

ew thats gross. where can i get some clean hydrogen atoms that no one has touched

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

ew thats gross. where can i get some clean hydrogen atoms that no one has touched

Nebula XrR-56c

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

redshirt posted:

The average breath holds 6 atoms of nitrogen that were once breathed in by William Shakespeare! Or William Shatner, if you prefer.

The average bite of food contains 1 atom of phosphorus that was crapped out of the rear end of Adolph Hitler.

When you drink water, every drop has been pissed out by some other animal at some point. Probably more than one!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"you" go to the place I see when I smoke DMT or drink ayahuasca. I'm fuckin' certain of it.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

kntfkr posted:

"you" go to the place I see when I smoke DMT or drink ayahuasca. I'm fuckin' certain of it.

this is technically, if only momentarily, true

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We are all just balls of energy bouncing around till we lose our bounce....

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’m gonna drop fat loads in heaven. I’m going to blow gooey ropes on gods tits.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

covidstomper58 posted:

unironically agree with this

i remember being shopped around to various deities.

Loki straight up told me to gently caress off

that was the coolest dream about dying and being in the afterlife ever

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Heinlein wrote a story that involved something like this. Each religion had its own afterlife. One dude who had died was in his religion's heaven, and was getting really frustrated. An angel pointed out that getting laid outside of marriage was against their religion, but not against the rules in "This other religion. You know, the heaven over there...." and tells the young man to visit it, get laid and come back later in the afternoon.

I liked the idea that you lived in one, but could visit the others.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

Heinlein wrote a story that involved something like this. Each religion had its own afterlife. One dude who had died was in his religion's heaven, and was getting really frustrated. An angel pointed out that getting laid outside of marriage was against their religion, but not against the rules in "This other religion. You know, the heaven over there...." and tells the young man to visit it, get laid and come back later in the afternoon.

I liked the idea that you lived in one, but could visit the others.

But we already know all that is bunk

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’m gonna drop fat loads in heaven. I’m going to blow gooey ropes on gods tits.

The first time I vaped DMT, the technique with which you smoke it (3 massive hits while holding your breath) reminded me of smoking crack and I got incredibly horny but I was aware the windows to my condo were open. So at some point I crawled up the stairs, reality dripping off me in a syrup and shattering all crystalline on the steps. Make it to the tempurpedic, flop down and the room is just billions upon billions of eyeballs and I cranked one out right then and there under all them eyeballs.

DMT entities must think I'm some kind of pervert but it's not like our kids go to school together so gently caress it.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

redshirt posted:

But we already know all that is bunk

Do we now, Mr. "Bouncy balls of energy". Do we now?

(Of course, there is no empirical evidence for an afterlife of any sort.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I have empirical evidence of the afterlife. It's still in the box. I'm waiting for the value to go up and I'll sell it.