Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I never use actual information on security so here goes.

1st car was a 1984 Nissan Pickup. It had a manual transmission that died when I didn't have enough money to replace the vehicle. I talked things over with a friend who was a mechanic.

We discovered that a lot of the Japanese vehicles of the same era used the same transmission, just different bell housing. I picked up one and was taking it apart at his shop. He had to leave for awhile and told me that when I got the housing off I should be ready for a bunch of bearings to come out. I finally got the housing off and the engineers who designed the transmission had done a great job. The transmission was self contained and transferred easily.

I also had to replace the truck bed because of rust.

It eventually died when someone decided that stop signs didn't apply to him. First thing the kid said was "I didn't see you." He followed up with "You were going too fast."

The second vehicle was a van, a Trans Port that I used for transport for a couple of years.

Third vehicle is a 1996 Toyota Corolla that is past 280,000 miles. The outside is in rough shape and when I got a "WE'LL GIVE YOU BIG MONEY FOR ANY VEHICLE" ad my first thought was "Really?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited:

Meh, it's what my parents gave me because they wanted me to be "safe".

2002 BMW 330i:

18th birthday present, got a ticket for 109 in a 55, don't buy your child a new BMW, they do stupid poo poo. When I ordered it with a GPS system the salesman tried to tell me that GPS was a fad and that the only people they sold them to were real estate agents.

2005 Lexus SC430:

I absolutely adored this car and drove it for over 10 years. Everyone needs to own a convertible once in their life. It was like driving a boat down the road.

2015 BMW i3:

Look at this ridiculous thing, my husband absolutely hated it because he thought we were going to die in a car accident with a truck. My favorite car of all time , carbon fiber, electric, basically a piece of Swedish furniture inside.

Only sold it because the warranty was up and I didn't want to own a carbon fiber electric BMW out of warranty.

2022 Ford Mach-E:

It's, fine. Actually I really do like it, but it is, a car.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 29, 2023

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
2016 Renault Clio "Sport Tourer"... Fun little thing that really made the most of it's tiny engine.
2018 Skoda Octavia Estate... Good budget off brand VW
2015 Mazda 6 Diesel Estate... Great ride but apparently there were some corners cut to make the engine emissions compliant which causes it to build up carbon fouling, $4000 for a rebuild/cleaning

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

2000's Jeep Wrangler. Still runs really well. Had I known what a party animal and designated driver I'd become in the 2010's I'd have gotten a 4 door.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 29, 2023

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

1981 Leyland mini Anniversary edition. I loving loved this thing. 4 speed manual, like driving a go kart.

1973 Ford Fairlane. Large, 302 engine. Kind of a pig.

1978 Oldsmobile Regency 98. What a stupid idea, way too big for New Zealand, interior was very plush though.

1984 Mazda 323. It was ok I guess.

1997 BMW 318ti (M-sport edition). This thing was very good actually, only sold it because I moved overseas.

2006 Chevy Cavalier. Shitbox, never again.

2007 Toyota Yaris. Extremely reliable, kinda boring. Automatic, which I do not prefer.

2006 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0L twin spark. Current. I love this thing, even though it is silly and Italian. Manual, lovely leather interior. Goes like the clappers.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

88 Ford Taurus. I drove it in high school. Saved up money and bought 6x9 speakers and a subwoofer so I could rattle windows with Ministry and Front 242 and poo poo. I let my friends smoke in the car and the seats accumulated multiple ash burns. Pot seeds picked out of the lovely ditch weed we smoked all over the floor. It was puked in several times. Party on.

96 Chevy S10 pickup. This had a truck cap over the back. I used it in my post college years to move back and forth across the country several times. It was a small pickup truck not big enough to have a full back seat but it had a funny little seat that folded down for a passenger to sit sideways.

98 Honda CR-V. Belonged to my sister who hated driving and offered to give it to me for free as soon as she moved to a city where she no longer had to drive. I drove it past 100k miles and I planned to keep going but I got in so many accidentes getting hit by dumbass LA drivers including a loving US mail truck that it became too hosed up to drive anymore.
This was the CR-V model that was known for having a removable mini folding picnic table in the back. I never used this but I think my sister said she and her friends actually had a picnic one time and used the table.

15 Honda CR-V. My next car ended up being the updated version of my old CR-V, same color and everything. My wife was expecting a baby and this seemed like the best deal for price and safety and all that.
Things I don’t like about it compared to the 98 model is it doesn’t have a full sized spare tire on the back and instead of the back hatch being two separate parts with a glass upper part opening up and the lower part opening to the side, the back hatch is one big flap that opens upward. The old way, if you wanted to load in something extra long, you could shut the lower part of the door, let what you were loading in stick out the back and then tie down the glass upper part.

12 Toyota Prius. Not much to say about this one. It’s a Prius. We needed a second car. One feature I absolutely hate is it loving BEEPS AT ME inside the car when it’s in reverse. Why on earth anyone thought this was necessary I will never understand. It’s so distracting. Apparently on earlier models you could disable the beep but not on mine. Someone recently stole the catalytic and it took 6 months to get a new one.

Thank you for reading my list of boring grocery-getters.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
2001 f150. Stripped down single cab long bed work truck with tons of deferred maintenance. Broke down all the time requiring expensive repairs, but it was useful getting me started as an adult. Owned it when gas first started hitting $3 a gallon, so that put me off of big vehicles probably permanently.

2003 Kia Spectra. Shitbox, great car to drive because I didn’t give two shits about it. Was a family car, but I got it for $500 after it got totaled out after being rear ended. Delivered pizzas in it for about 100k miles until I sold it for $500

1998 Audi A4. Bought this so I’d have a car that didn’t smell like pizza. Loved this car so drat much. Black on black, v6 Quattro. Bought it for nothing with a bad clutch, which is a 40 hour repair and requires dropping literally everything off the body, so that cost me something like 2k. Lasted all of 6 months and a single leaf entering the engine bay clogged a rubber funnel which did literally nothing caused about three inches of water for flood the cabin. Caused a short somewhere so the car never ran right again. Sold it for $200.

2010 Mazda 3 base model. Bought new by trading in my f150 under the cash for clunkers program. Parents had been driving it while I unsuccessfully tried selling it (literally nobody was buying trucks at this point). Great car, but I experienced every problem this model is known for. Seat broke while I was on an onramp, almost causing me to drive into a ditch. Dash melted into goo. Then the engine popped at 90k, and just after that I got side swiped, and I was just done with this car.

2014 Chevy Spark EV. Best car in the drat world. Got it from Carvana in 2017 for 7500 during their Black Friday sale (they used to do $1k off any car during Black Friday, which was a great deal when you were sorting by lowest price). Sat in a dennys at midnight refreshing the page and bought it immediately. This thing is super quick with its 400lbs of torque, able to beat any car off the line as long as they don’t realize you’re racing. It’s a compliance car with a short range, but shares a ton of parts with the regular version and most of its electronics with the Volt, so didn’t have any issues getting warranty work done. Nothing broke after warranty except water getting into the tail lights, which are available pretty cheap used. Sold it to some family for $5k.

2023 Tesla Model 3. Kinda got this on a whim. My credit union sent me a loan pre approval with relatively low rates for the time, then Tesla lowered the price, and then offered an additional discount if you picked one from inventory. I’d been in the market for a Bolt, but just was not having any luck getting one without markup. It’s a great car overall, but all the Tesla criticisms are basically right. It’s definitely better than my spark ev in every possible way, and it’s nice not having to borrow my wife’s car or getting a rental to go longer distances, but overall I think I’d have been happier just keeping that car for a while longer. I don’t regret getting the model 3, just regret buying a new car altogether. Definitely a smarter buy than a Bolt at the time.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
1971 Cutlass Convertible
1968 VW Beetle
1982 Mercury Cougar Station Wagon
1988 Mercury Tracer
1991 Buick Park Avenue
1996 Chrysler Sebring convertible
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
2002 Honda Civic
2013 Dodge Journey

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
all my cars I've bought since 1997 have been from 1997.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

2012 Corolla. It's a corolla.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

shan't dox

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I will say this, I had a Honda Fit and ran it up to about 150k and then had a crazy thing happen

My parents neighbor's mom died and he was looking to sell her car which was identical. Same year, trim level, etc, but only 38k miles. So I bought it.

Literally the little old lady only drove it to church type story

So I'm on my second one and it's still great

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

maybeadracula posted:

I will say this, I had a Honda Fit and ran it up to about 150k and then had a crazy thing happen

My parents neighbor's mom died and he was looking to sell her car which was identical. Same year, trim level, etc, but only 38k miles. So I bought it.

Literally the little old lady only drove it to church type story

So I'm on my second one and it's still great

You should’ve done some sort of wacky insurance scam setting the old one on fire and claiming it’s the new one, then drive off into the sunset with your several thousand dollars of ill gotten gains

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Triikan posted:

You should’ve done some sort of wacky insurance scam setting the old one on fire and claiming it’s the new one, then drive off into the sunset with your several thousand dollars of ill gotten gains

I sold the still working old one for more than half what I paid for the much lower mileage one during the pandemic, so I did ok without risking debtors prison

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My first car was a soap box derby race that a made for cub scouts I got second place.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I do love the idea of first car as a security question. Most times you get multiple tries, and if you’re a criminal you just guess like Camry, f150, and Silverado and you’ve just broken into probably 20% of accounts.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Three Olives posted:

2002 BMW 330i:

18th birthday present, got a ticket for 109 in a 55, don't buy your child a new BMW, they do stupid poo poo. When I ordered it with a GPS system the salesman tried to tell me that GPS was a fad and that the only people they sold them to were real estate agents.

I've still got a 2004 (built in November 2003). Great car, but, having spent its entire existence in areas with winter and salty roads, it's increasingly rusting from the inside out in new places every year no matter how much you try to stop it. If the body was clean I'd dump some money into refreshing everything that needed it and drive it for another decade, but as is, it's not worth putting too much into. Shame too, as it still runs perfectly.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
"Urkelmobile"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
1987 Ford Tempo - grandpa hand-me-down. Gray, basic, AM/FM radio and that’s it. Low maintenance and good on gas which allowed me to save for

1997 Chevy Cavalier RS. Bought new and had saved up like half the purchase price as a down payment so I had a monthly payment of $120.

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. 4 cyl but nice looking. I wanted more power and shortly thereafter traded up to

2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS. V6, sunroof, premium audio w/SIX CD in-dash changer. Pretty fast in a straight line but handled like an 18 wheeler.

2007 Mazda 3 Hatch. Best car I’ve ever owned. Amazing handling, just enough zip, perfect size for commuting and roadtrips. Sadly, the transmission died at 130,000K.

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD. Finally grew up and got something practical. Good for groceries and carting the family and dogs around.

2018 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring AWD. I liked the smaller form factor. I’d probably still have it but my wife lost her job during covid and since I worked from home we dropped the second car.

2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo. Cool blue/grey color and sexy red leather interior. Bose audio. Fast, fun to drive and practical. Leased but we’re going to buy it out when it’s up.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
im a coward

Jelly fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 1, 2023

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

95 Volvo 850
86 Volvo 240
2006 Dodge Grand Caravan
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan
2014 Ford Focus
2008 Volvo XC70

naem
May 29, 2011

want our mothers maiden name and last four of social too

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
1998 Honda Civic - Good little car, it was a five speed manual but continued to have issues with the distributor. Sold it to a coworker for $500 who flipped it to another coworker.
2009 Toyota Tacoma - A shock blew out first time I took it on a dirt road, a newly graded gravel road too. Nothing major since then and it's over 175000 miles now
2013 Honda Fit - Great little car, no issues until some jackass rear ended me when I was going 65 MPH and totaled it. Insurance paid out more than I bought it for after I put 90000 miles on it.
2013 Honda Fit - We'll see how far this one gets me

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I want of oth them eco boost Mustangs. I could totally do it. Just seems so impractical. Civic probably has like, 200k miles left in it.

My coworker has one. He said the tensioner pulley went out at 89000 miles and blew up his engine. Took the catalytic converter with it. 6000 miles later a seal blew on the differential and we think that's also dead, I guess it's getting fixed this week.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

naem posted:

want our mothers maiden name and last four of social too

Blood Type
Shoe Size
Taint Length

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Yeah yeah, that's all good, but that one guy veered into oncoming traffic twice. What's your story, guy?

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
First car I bought my mom's 2000 Ford Focus off her. It got me from A to B and was good on gas. Eventually it threw a piston through the wall of the engine but it was a solid highschool driver.

Second car was a 2003 jetta. It got me from A to B and was good on gas. Drove it for like 8 years, but just sold it off last month.

Now drive a 2017 Rav 4 Hybrid as a stop gap, but have a new Rav 4 Prime on order. Dealership says it will arrive in anywhere from 3-36 months.

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 30, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
I'll tell you the worst car I ever owned, a 1974 VW Beetle. I loving hated that piece of poo poo, something broke on the daily with that piece of garbage, and it just shredded clutch cables and I could never diagnose why. Deathtrap in poo poo-rear end Albuquerque traffic over 20 years ago, I can't imagine driving it here NOW. More than once I permanently lost the clutch pedal in traffic. Taught me more about working on cars than any other one, though, and between that and the '84 Toyota pickup truck is why I own a manual transmission '99 Ranger currently.

I'd rather have a Tacoma of the same era, but when I bought that Mazda Ranger in 2019 my friends sold it to me for $300 with something like 123k miles in pretty cherry shape while Tacomas of the same era cost about half their weight in gold.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 30, 2023

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
1992 Toyota 4Runner
2003 Nissan Altima
2012 Dodge Challenger
2023 Toyota RAV4

Guess I’m due for a new car in 2032

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I started in 2003 with a 1983 Pontiac 6000. Eventually the back right window got stuck down. And when winter comes to Idaho that's not gonna work. I bought a used Mitsubishi after that and drove it until I crashed it. I thought I was at a 4-way stop and ... I wasn't. I hit the brakes and got spun like a top by a huge truck. If I had pulled out farther I would have died in 2007.

102923_4
Oct 30, 2023
there's no one in this thread poorer than a millionaire

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

102923_4 posted:

I assure you I am unsuccessful. I only needed $10 which took me over one hour to earn in 2007.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

102923_4 posted:

Do I need to post pictures?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
1990 Honda Accord - King poo poo.

2012 Honda Civic - everybody talks about the great engine that runs forever, but nobody talks about the fragile little bitchass fiberglass frame that explodes into pieces after every NYC pothole. gently caress honda forever.

2020 Chevy Trax - pretty good and cool. GIANT LED TRUCK LIGHTS HAVE MADE OWNING A SEDAN IMPOSSIBLE BTW

MTA Metrocard - King poo poo reprise

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MrQwerty posted:

I'd rather have a Tacoma of the same era, but when I bought that Mazda Ranger in 2019 my friends sold it to me for $300 with something like 123k miles in pretty cherry shape while Tacomas of the same era cost about half their weight in gold.

I owned a 2000 Tacoma from 2002 to three days before Christmas 2017 when a guy decided to turn left before waiting for a large truck blocking his view to move first. I T-boned him and he was faulted. The truck was still drivable and I drove it for a month while the insurance sorted things out. In the end, it was totaled out and I got almost $5,400 for a 17 year old truck that looked like a 17 year old truck.

Last I saw of it, it was sold on Copart to a private buyer, so I hope they fixed the front end and got the world’s most dependable truck. It only had 167,000 miles on it. The engine was just breaking in on that thing!

I honestly wasn’t expecting nearly $5,400 for that thing, so it was a wise investment and just goes to show how well old Toyotas hold their value. If that accident never happened, I’d probably still be driving it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Some of y’all didn’t have your parents sit you down and give you the talk about not buying American cars, and it shows.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

102923_4 posted:

I can tell you're not a resourceful individual.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

The Management posted:

Some of y’all didn’t have your parents sit you down and give you the talk about not buying American cars, and it shows.
Going to agree with this. Japan FTW.
My Saturn did run forever and I sold it while it was still running, but it was still a problematic piece of poo poo and the worst car I've had.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Management posted:

I remember the K Car. The Pinto. The Gremlin.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Not sure if I remember the years right on the older ones...

'95 Dodge Intrepid: Simply put the worst car ever made. Should never have allowed the prototype to be shown to the public. Piece of poo poo that broke down constantly and left me on the interstate as a young person on several occassions.
'02 Mercury Sable: It was a car.
'07 Chevy Colorado: Passed down from my dad, I'm not a truck guy but it actually drove a lot better than the same truck from 10 years later, which is what he has now.
2013 Nissan Altima: Felt good to drive but had a ton of maintenance issues. For some reason, best sounding radio I have ever heard.
2019 Honda Accord Hybrid: So far so good! I live in a hilly area and one time got the miles per gallon to hit 90 on an hour long trip! Speakers sound tinny compared to the altima, otherwise easily the best car I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Great thread!

Cheating a bit, because it was my dad’s car I got to drive for a bit after getting my license:

late 80s Mercedes 190D - what a tank of a car, I miss it. Backed into a concrete post and the post fell apart. First and last car I drove with a 4-gear gearbox.

Mid-90e Daewoo Espero - based on Opel mechanics, it was an OK sedan, but built very shoddily. Strangely, the body work was design by Bertone and it was a pretty cool looking car at the time.

Early 00’s Ford Mondeo Ghia Estate - first car I bought with my own money, was a great ride but ultimately the automatic gearbox exploded.

Mid 90’s Toyota Starlet - emergency car I got for 200 euros, and one I remember fondly. Reliable, surprisingly quick off the lights and cheap to run. Also, at 193 cm I was strangely comfortable driving it.

Mid 00’s Ford Fiesta - my wife’s car, I don’t remember anything about it.

2019 Abarth 123 Spider - lovely little speedster that took me and the wife around the Med numerous times. Had to sell because it’s a you g person’s car, but it was awesome.

2011 BMW F11 - love this thing. It’s long in the tooth at 260k km but it’s not giving me problems, even if the yearly maintenance bill is a bit high.

2018 Toyota Yaris - wife’s French import, fun trim and an OK car. Surprisingly OK on the highway, but the way Toyota tunes their euro city car engines suuuuucks

2020 Toyota Corolla hatch - wife’s current car. Hate it. Lacks character. Engine is the most lukewarm poo poo I ever drove. Onboard tech stinks. Has stupid quirks and is irritating.