Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

is this thread some kind of elaborate identity theft scheme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Mr.Acula posted:

Is anyone reading all these posts?

Apparently not, since no one has addressed the guy on page one casually saying he veered into two head on collisions.

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

These used to be one of the frequent prizes on some match game type game show when I was a kid. For some reason the phrase “Daihatsu Charade” has stuck with me into my fifties. It just rolls right off my tongue.

It was a great car but dad was working on the engine one day and somehow set it alight. RIP.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

huh posted:

It was a great car but dad was working on the engine one day and somehow set it alight. RIP.

If your dad was like my dad, this was more of a dad problem than something that can be blamed on any particular model of car.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Passed my test later in life in 2018. Briefly drove my wife's Chevrolet Matiz for a bit, then:

2018 - 57 Plate (2007) Peugeot 207 1.4l
2020 - 16 Plate (2016) Nissan Note Acenta 1.2l
2021 - 14 Plate (2014) Nissan Note Acenta Premium 1.2l

Why did I buy an older Nissan Note so shortly after the first one?

Whoops!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

1985 Buick Century station wagon: Was my mother’s car. Put around 50.000 miles on it just driving around when gas was cheap in the late 1990s.

1991 Chevy s-10 Blazer: The first truck I bought and paid for. Baby blue, chromed out running boards, sweet as hell. Totaled out because some 17 year old in her daddy’s Mustang blew a stop sign and t-boned it.

1999 Chevy S-10: my run of good luck with Chevy trucks continues. hosed up by hurricane Charley, spent a Kentucky winter with this truck having a duct tape back window but restored to glory with a delayed insurance payment. Transmission went after 8 years.

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS: Great car that I bought when it was on its last legs from a grimy buy-here pay-here. Brakes failed coming off an interstate exit and I had to do a bootlegger turn to not die. Still not mad at it.

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid: Worst car I’ve ever owned. 4 dollar gas made me purchase the world’s most boring driving appliance. And I learned why you never buy a six year old hybrid unless it’s a Toyota when the battery poo poo the bed and it was 6k to replace it on a car that I still owed 6k on. Let the bank take it.

2015 VW Jetta SE TSI: My consolation prize for the lovely Honda. Amazingly fun to drive, 40 miles a gallon, comfortable with a great stereo. If I could buy one new now I would in a second. Traded it at 100k because it’s a Volkswagen and started burning oil.

2018 Lexus ES 350: I made it. I am a rich bug killer with an entry-level luxury sedan. Unfortunately my wife and I decide to foster to adopt and our needs change.

2022 Honda Pilot: Current vehicle, first new vehicle ever, and a dad van.

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
Ford Orion from the 80's
Ford Mondeo from the early 90's
2003 Saab 95 Aero (what a machine I took it from 150-250k miles on it and the only thing I needed to fix was the brake line after I'd left it unused for 6 months)
2007 Vauxhall Astra (fastest car I ever owned as I did not give a poo poo, it also had no exhaust and I would get lightheaded from the carbon monoxide on long journeys)

I have not needed to buy my own vehicle for the past 8 years.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One cool thing about this thread is I had no idea there were so many car names that I had no idea about!

The Ford Orion???!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A story with photos is better, this is chronological, not actual cars, but same model/color.

First car in 2000, a 1989 Mazda 626

Sold that one and got a 1991 Firebird Trans Am GTA

Used too much fuel for commuting so I got a 1992 Opel, rustbucket!
Kept the firebird for another 10 years though.

Traded in the opel for a 2007 Toyota Yaris in 2009. First and only diesel. I still drive this one, 420,000km on the odometer.

Around 2012 the firebird got sold.

Got a second car in 2019, Mazda 6 2005:

This summer I got a 3rd car, 1990 Saab 900, it's my favorite. And this is the actual photos of the car in question and not just a representation. It deserves two photos so I can show off the louvres:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

A story with photos is better, this is chronological, not actual cars, but same model/color.

First car in 2000, a 1989 Mazda 626

Sold that one and got a 1991 Firebird Trans Am GTA

Used too much fuel for commuting so I got a 1992 Opel, rustbucket!
Kept the firebird for another 10 years though.

Traded in the opel for a 2007 Toyota Yaris in 2009. First and only diesel. I still drive this one, 420,000km on the odometer.

Around 2012 the firebird got sold.

Got a second car in 2019, Mazda 6 2005:

This summer I got a 3rd car, 1990 Saab 900, it's my favorite. And this is the actual photos of the car in question and not just a representation. It deserves two photos so I can show off the louvres:

Bro, were you driving a 91 Trans Am in Europe???!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

That is so cool.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

redshirt posted:

Bro, were you driving a 91 Trans Am in Europe???!

Hell yeah I was! My wallet wept. One one long 300km trip I did manage to get like 30mpg though. Incredible.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

2016-2022: Lexus ES300 1997
2021-2022: Volvo 740 Wagon 1994

The ES300 was sturdy and felt good to drive and was quiet.

The Volvo I got as a project and it turned out pretty great by the end.

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 1, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Hell yeah I was! My wallet wept. One one long 300km trip I did manage to get like 30mpg though. Incredible.

loving legend

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

redshirt posted:

One cool thing about this thread is I had no idea there were so many car names that I had no idea about!

The Ford Orion???!

That’s a typo, it’s actually a Ford Onion. Smells terrible.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Twenty.
Thirteen.
Honda.
Fit.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

1993 Mercury Topaz
1996 Subaru Legacy
2003 Volkswagen Passat
2008 Volkswagen Passat
2018 Nissan Rogue
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan
2020 Subaru Forester

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Darth Brooks posted:

I never use actual information on security so here goes.

You may not for voluntary secondary auth questions. If you have credit history (e.g. a credit card, any kind of loan ever) you do.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Mr.Acula posted:

Is anyone reading all these posts?

scammers and marketers op

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

1996 pontiac firefly (a gift from grandma!) -hit a deer, writeoff

1977 plymouth volare -hit 1 deer and dented it reasonably, 2nd deer wrote it off a year later

1997 toyota tercel -failed an emissions test at 480000 km. Still ran fine.

2005 toyota celica -hit a deer, writeoff

2005 toyota celica -time will tell, but I gotta feeling!!!

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
1982 Toyota Corona
2004 Subaru Impreza 2.0 sedan
1992 Subaru SVX
1998 Subaru Liberty (Legacy) 2.2 wagon
1998 Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2010 Renault Clio RS 200
2007 Merc C200 sedan
2019 "Holden" "Commodore" (Opel Insignia) wagon

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

1977 plymouth volare -hit 1 deer and dented it reasonably, 2nd deer wrote it off a year later

I hope you lived somewhere reasonably flat or had the lean burn carb replaced because that was the stalliest piece of poo poo ever built.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Some identity scammer read my post about my sick 2007 Altima that is almost paid off and decided I was already suffering enough.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Y’know, I had my concerns when the the “post your mom’s maiden name” subforum popped up.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Dell_Zincht posted:

Passed my test later in life in 2018. Briefly drove my wife's Chevrolet Matiz for a bit, then:

2018 - 57 Plate (2007) Peugeot 207 1.4l
2020 - 16 Plate (2016) Nissan Note Acenta 1.2l
2021 - 14 Plate (2014) Nissan Note Acenta Premium 1.2l

Why did I buy an older Nissan Note so shortly after the first one?

Whoops!

My first Note was a diesel and did 175,000 miles before it started to wear out, surprisingly reliable little cars.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
Really shocked at how many people in this thread just get one car and keep it forever. AI poster so maybe my brain is broken. Average length of ownership is 2.25 years

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix
03-04 Named after a kind of race so that means its fast, right? Crashed it 3 times before it was totaled
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 manual
04-06 Cut off exhaust, cut springs, lovely walmart stereo. Trying to be the worst 20 year old I could be
1990 VW Corrado
06-09 The car that solidified I'm a car guy. VR6 swapped, built motor, suspension, big stereo. Real dumb hotboi poo poo
1996 Ford Explorer
06-09 Gifted to me, kept as backup for the Corrado which was always broken
1990 Honda Civic hatch
08-09 purchased as a test to see how cheap I could drive. Purchased for $300, got two tires and brakes replaced for ~$150, sold a year later for $300. No interior. Got over 40MPG but was a terrible car
1996 Audi A6
09-12 Nice car. Reliable, comfortable, very boring
1990 Audi 90
12-13 Quattro 20V Manual. Sounded phenomenal. Least reliable car.
2000 Audi A6
13-20 Quattro 2.7 twin turbo V6 with a manual. S4 in a fat suit. Put a 2000 watt stereo in it because I wanted to relive my youth. Very fun car, stupidly reliable, supremely comfortable
2015 Audi A3 2.0t Quattro
20-22 A6 was feeling like it was about to eat some money, worked at a car dealership so I got a deal on this and needed a commuter. Purchased for 15K, put 20k miles on it, sold for 16K. With a tune was as fast as an S3 while being 50% cost to insure
2001 GMC Sierra C3
22-current AMERICA. TRUCK poo poo. Stay at home dad and we just moved house so I got a truck because gas mileage doesn't matter when you don't have a commute and need to pick up bark and plants and poo poo constantly
2014 Audi A7
23-current 3.0 Supercharged prestige. Cooled Seats, adaptive cruise, lane keep, 4 zone HVAC. Getting coddled every day and I love it. This car fucks

Wife's Cars that I've been the primary steward of
1994 Volvo 240
07-13 Has been in the family since like 2005. She purchased it from her cousin, her brother bought it from her. He still has it
2002 VW GTI VR6
13-20 Totaled twice, both while parked. Another car that was kind of poo poo but sounded amazing
2004 VW GTI 1.8t
14-20 Purchased to replace the other GTI but then this also died and just sat in the garage for 5 years while we drove the other better GTI
2004 Audi A4
14-14 Owned 1 month. Purchased to replace the GTIs but then was totaled in front of our house by a senior driver who totaled 5 cars on our street at 4AM
2017 Audi Q5
20-Current 3.0 Supercharged. This car fucks also

Current Fleet

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Szyznyk posted:

I hope you lived somewhere reasonably flat or had the lean burn carb replaced because that was the stalliest piece of poo poo ever built.

Lol you're not kidding, fuckin hell.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!
Oh hey, something I have strong opinions about!

I'm going to disagree with the "don't buy American" cars take along with the "run the car into the ground" take. Why you ask? Well the run the car into the ground thing is what my parents did when I was growing up, and the number of times that one gets stuck on the side of the road next to a steaming 92 Plymouth Voyager while some dbag classmate rides by in with his mom in their new Mercedes will have that effect on a kid. I also rather pay a set amount every month vs sudden, unplanned $2K or more bills for replacing engine blocks, timing belts, etc.

My thing about buying American cars comes from the following.

1995 Nissan Sentra - First car that I drove from high school through most of college. Inherited it from grandma. Had a whopping 115hp engine that could barely pull itself up a hill. The one good thing about it for a high schooler was that you could do killer hand brake turns with it, which will actually be a relevant point in a minute as you will see. Constantly had poo poo breaking on it and at the time I lived in a family that had no clue that one could fix things on their own. Lots of expensive poo poo randomly blowing up over the years. Anyway the final straw was being out with my girlfriend one day and as we were going down the hill on an overpass with a stoplight at the bottom the breaks made a loud thunk, my foot went to the floor, and it wasn't stopping. Thankfully those j-brake turns from a few years before came right into mind. As I'm rolling toward the car stopped in front of my without thinking I popped it into neutral, pulled the jbrake, and then guided it into a nearby parking lot. Immediately drove it to the Carmax that was a couple of blocks away, got $250 bucks for it, and that was it.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i - Next car is what happens when you are a young 20s computer toucher and your Nissan dies. "Herp derp I see these are 'reliable'", and did you hear that "SYMETRICAL ALL WHEEL DRIVE". "You can go sideways in the snow with it!", but most importantly "RELAIBLE". Within the first year it had blown through the first of about 5 alternators, I found out the hard way that the gas gauges was unreliable, and I began a fight that I would fight for the rest of the time I had with that car where no matter how much professional alignment I had done, it would eat through tires. What else did it like to eat through? Oh just oil, gaskets, brakes, and loving timing belts. This is all a problem for a young computer toucher when you don't have the funds to replace it, but you still need a car to get to work so that you can make more money and work your way up the food chain. At one point though I did just park the loving thing and shared with my girlfriend...

...2006 Chevy Malibu - When I first met her it was much like some of the people in this thread "lol Murcian car bad gonna break". All while I had the Subaru this thing was a loving champ. What little would go wrong with it was stuff like needing new brakes every 70k, a new suspension at one point, just general wear and tear stuff that is connected to the parts that physically touch the road. Engine was always rock solid. While the Subaru sat we racked this thing up to almost 200,000 on the odometer. Actually still have it but am not driving it right now. Anyway after she accidentlyed it into the back of another car and dented it kind bad it kept running but we decided that it and the subaru as a combination could be a "second car" since we weren't sure if they'd be reliable. Subaru never was, even with a dented up front end this thing kept running as a second car to:

2014 Ford Escape Titanium - First real adult car! The dual experiences with the Subaru and the Chevy made me pretty firm and happy with buying 'Murican and it was the best choice I ever made. This thing had features that none of my co-workers or friends (minus my rich rear end bosses at the time) had on their vehicles at the time. Push button start, big rear end (well it seemed so at the time) touch screen, heated seats, giant double paneled sun roof. gently caress yeah I was proud as gently caress with this thing. First time in my life I felt like I had something better than my parents ever had growing up. Actually took it on a trip all the way from home in Wisconsin to San Francisco, with a stop in Denver and drive up Pikes Peak along the way. It got its window smashed in at the BART station while we were at ATT Park watching Brews vs Giants but thanks to that push button start/overall security system it wouldn't unlock when they smashed the window and hit the unlock button, thus saving both my personal Macbook and big work Asus tank. There were a couple of other cars that got burgled at the same time and the cop said the tech on ours saved us. Difference between a couple hundo for a window and a few thousand and hours upon hours of lost work. Totally great car but before I could trade it in for another one a school bus decided to ignore that stop signs are a thing and totaled it with my girlfriend driving. The car had a couple of gifts left in it though, the first being that she was OK as one could be while being hit by a school bus, so no broken bones at least. The next was that we got a killer valuation from the insurance agent who commented on what great shape we kept it in, thereby allowing us to move up to an even better car, and finally once the blood sucking lawyers were done dealing with the bus company we got enough money for a down payment on a house when interest rates were down at 2.75%. :woop:

2018 GMC Terrain Denali - This one had everything the Escape had and then some! 240 HP 2.0L Turbo 4, VENTED seats, heated steering wheel, and even heated BACK seats. Solid rear end vehicle and never had a bit of trouble with it. Changed the oil in it regularly which was super easy, drove it to Kansas City for Packers/Chiefs in 2019, and then didn't get to travel much more since Covid it. Got a couple of COVID tests while sitting in the front seat of it. Went house hunting and to the closing in this thing. Put around 60K on it over a couple of years and then because my philosophy of keeping a new car traded it in when it hit 80k on the odo for only 2 grand less than we paid! Leading to...

2021 Ford Explorer ST - Current "primary" car and the first car bought brand new. The house that we bought had a garage with a 30ft bay in it, meaning that we could finally get the boat that we always dreamed of (plus going from renting to owning was a HUGE savings - death to all landlords), but this would need something more substantial for towing. Living in a big city I wasn't quite ready for a truck but with a rear wheel drive based AWD system (so it's primarily RWD and then kicks in the front as needed, whereas most other mid sized SUVs like this are the opposite) and the turbo and supercharged 400hp engine offered only on the ST and equivalent Lincoln's at the time, this thing checked all the boxes. Pulls my 5000lb boat just fine, although it does suck gas when doing so, and is fast and fun to drive for such a big car the rest of the time. Been awesome for all the projects I've been doing around our house, and I got an 8x4 folding trailer to haul lumber, Christmas trees, and the hot tub that we cut out of the back yard without loving up the interior. Drove it to Buffalo last fall for Packers - Bills on what turned out to be one of my all time favorite vacations, and then this summer towed the boat to the Lake of the Ozarks. Quite like it and so far only have about 35K on it, but seeing as I've had it for a couple of years now I'm starting to kick around the idea of getting a pickup. It'll probably happen in the next year or so as I'd really like a Sierra Denali with the 6.2L that my girlfriend's dad has in his.

2020 Ford Escape Titanium - Current "second" car. Finally traded in the loving Subaru for this last winter after diving home one day and having all the electric fail in it. My combo of Subaru and Malibu had been OK for a second car, and not having a payment was nice, but at a certain point one must realize that they are now in their mid 30s, the Subaru is uncomfortable as gently caress, and this is just stupid. I could afford another car. Also the Subaru wasn't going to pass its emissions that were due in a couple of months. So off we went and found this guy. Going back to our original experience with an Escape this ended up being the best option in our budget. It even has a couple of things that the fully loaded ST doesn't, like a heads up display. Tons of power and a fun little car to drive. She takes it to work most days and it's been awesome. I'm sure we'll drive it a couple more years and then I'm looking at maybe something electric, especially with the good deals on Mustang Mach E's, or maybe that new Cadillac one. I do find the current big tax on electric cars to be appealing along with the appeal of never having to buy gas again. Obviously going to stick to my BUY MURICAN mantra, well, check that, buy good murican, Apartide Clyde doesn't count and I'd never buy a thing from any of his companies.

So yeah, every Big 3 car I've had has been great, while every asian car, especially that loving Subaru, has been a piece. Also something that I've noticed while driving all these American cars is that, if I'm at a light behind another American or German (or European in general) and start to accelerate, the torque bands on them seem to accelerate well and I don't feel like I'm being slowed down. If I see a Honda H, a Toyota logo, or god forbid a Kia, I try and get in the other lane because sure enough, without stomping on the gas, just accelerating normally, I'll be two blocks down while they are still crawing through the intersection. I don't quite know what it is, beyond just general calibration of the transmissions I did have a co-worker way back when who had a Mazda that put this giant "instant fuel economy" thing right in the middle of the dash board, and that caused him to drive slow as poo poo so maybe that's some of it to, but either way I've never found pacific rim cars much fun to drive and definitely annoying to be caught behind.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
I'm sorry that your parents treated their cars like total poo poo, because it caused that post

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mid-1990s Ford Contour: Had a tape player and the buttons flew off it after a while, leaving exposed metal tabs, but still worked. Totaled it after 10 years.

2003 Ford Focus wagon: Probably my favorite. Stroage area was huge and it was easy to find in a parking lot. Had it 10 years through a busted alternator and transmission repair. Had another big repair that cost more than it was worth, so I let it go. I miss that car.

2014 Ford Focus: Boring but deeply unproblematic until this summer. Had almost 110K miles on it and the transmission died. Good news! It's a recall so Ford will cover the repair. Bad news! It'll be at least 3 months before it's fixed.

There is no public transportation and I have to drive a lot, especially that week, so I got a 2023 Ford Escape. It's the first new car I've owned.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I see all these people bitching about how their small cars with like 110-120 hp could barely climb hills or merge on to the highway, and then see people in much more powerful modern cars who seem to have trouble merging on to highways and the only thing I can think of is they must be giving poo poo like 1/3 throttle or something.

I've driven a considerable number of piles of poo poo that had less than 100 HP and had no trouble doing either.

The secret is to floor that fuckin poo poo.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Some of them have a fuel saving thing which limits the acceleration don't they?

I had a newish rented car at one point and it's wild how gutless it felt.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I see all these people bitching about how their small cars with like 110-120 hp could barely climb hills or merge on to the highway, and then see people in much more powerful modern cars who seem to have trouble merging on to highways and the only thing I can think of is they must be giving poo poo like 1/3 throttle or something.

I've driven a considerable number of piles of poo poo that had less than 100 HP and had no trouble doing either.

Yeah but if I put my foot all the way down it makes a loud noise and thats scary
There must have been a prevailing old wives tale that if you do all the steering/braking/accelerating the car is capable of, you'll "use it up"
When I was selling cars it was crazy how many times I'd have to tell people to floor it harder or would let off when the thing was only halfway up the rev range. You aren't going to break it!
Same goes for when you see somebody do a 872 point turn getting out of a parking spot. You can turn the wheel the whole way! Nothing is going to happen!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Always mash that throttle to the floor imo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Oh hey, something I have strong opinions about!

I'm going to disagree with the "don't buy American" cars take along with the "run the car into the ground" take. Why you ask? Well the run the car into the ground thing is what my parents did when I was growing up, and the number of times that one gets stuck on the side of the road next to a steaming 92 Plymouth Voyager while some dbag classmate rides by in with his mom in their new Mercedes will have that effect on a kid. I also rather pay a set amount every month vs sudden, unplanned $2K or more bills for replacing engine blocks, timing belts, etc.

My thing about buying American cars comes from the following.

1995 Nissan Sentra - First car that I drove from high school through most of college. Inherited it from grandma. Had a whopping 115hp engine that could barely pull itself up a hill. The one good thing about it for a high schooler was that you could do killer hand brake turns with it, which will actually be a relevant point in a minute as you will see. Constantly had poo poo breaking on it and at the time I lived in a family that had no clue that one could fix things on their own. Lots of expensive poo poo randomly blowing up over the years. Anyway the final straw was being out with my girlfriend one day and as we were going down the hill on an overpass with a stoplight at the bottom the breaks made a loud thunk, my foot went to the floor, and it wasn't stopping. Thankfully those j-brake turns from a few years before came right into mind. As I'm rolling toward the car stopped in front of my without thinking I popped it into neutral, pulled the jbrake, and then guided it into a nearby parking lot. Immediately drove it to the Carmax that was a couple of blocks away, got $250 bucks for it, and that was it.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i - Next car is what happens when you are a young 20s computer toucher and your Nissan dies. "Herp derp I see these are 'reliable'", and did you hear that "SYMETRICAL ALL WHEEL DRIVE". "You can go sideways in the snow with it!", but most importantly "RELAIBLE". Within the first year it had blown through the first of about 5 alternators, I found out the hard way that the gas gauges was unreliable, and I began a fight that I would fight for the rest of the time I had with that car where no matter how much professional alignment I had done, it would eat through tires. What else did it like to eat through? Oh just oil, gaskets, brakes, and loving timing belts. This is all a problem for a young computer toucher when you don't have the funds to replace it, but you still need a car to get to work so that you can make more money and work your way up the food chain. At one point though I did just park the loving thing and shared with my girlfriend...

...2006 Chevy Malibu - When I first met her it was much like some of the people in this thread "lol Murcian car bad gonna break". All while I had the Subaru this thing was a loving champ. What little would go wrong with it was stuff like needing new brakes every 70k, a new suspension at one point, just general wear and tear stuff that is connected to the parts that physically touch the road. Engine was always rock solid. While the Subaru sat we racked this thing up to almost 200,000 on the odometer. Actually still have it but am not driving it right now. Anyway after she accidentlyed it into the back of another car and dented it kind bad it kept running but we decided that it and the subaru as a combination could be a "second car" since we weren't sure if they'd be reliable. Subaru never was, even with a dented up front end this thing kept running as a second car to:

2014 Ford Escape Titanium - First real adult car! The dual experiences with the Subaru and the Chevy made me pretty firm and happy with buying 'Murican and it was the best choice I ever made. This thing had features that none of my co-workers or friends (minus my rich rear end bosses at the time) had on their vehicles at the time. Push button start, big rear end (well it seemed so at the time) touch screen, heated seats, giant double paneled sun roof. gently caress yeah I was proud as gently caress with this thing. First time in my life I felt like I had something better than my parents ever had growing up. Actually took it on a trip all the way from home in Wisconsin to San Francisco, with a stop in Denver and drive up Pikes Peak along the way. It got its window smashed in at the BART station while we were at ATT Park watching Brews vs Giants but thanks to that push button start/overall security system it wouldn't unlock when they smashed the window and hit the unlock button, thus saving both my personal Macbook and big work Asus tank. There were a couple of other cars that got burgled at the same time and the cop said the tech on ours saved us. Difference between a couple hundo for a window and a few thousand and hours upon hours of lost work. Totally great car but before I could trade it in for another one a school bus decided to ignore that stop signs are a thing and totaled it with my girlfriend driving. The car had a couple of gifts left in it though, the first being that she was OK as one could be while being hit by a school bus, so no broken bones at least. The next was that we got a killer valuation from the insurance agent who commented on what great shape we kept it in, thereby allowing us to move up to an even better car, and finally once the blood sucking lawyers were done dealing with the bus company we got enough money for a down payment on a house when interest rates were down at 2.75%. :woop:

2018 GMC Terrain Denali - This one had everything the Escape had and then some! 240 HP 2.0L Turbo 4, VENTED seats, heated steering wheel, and even heated BACK seats. Solid rear end vehicle and never had a bit of trouble with it. Changed the oil in it regularly which was super easy, drove it to Kansas City for Packers/Chiefs in 2019, and then didn't get to travel much more since Covid it. Got a couple of COVID tests while sitting in the front seat of it. Went house hunting and to the closing in this thing. Put around 60K on it over a couple of years and then because my philosophy of keeping a new car traded it in when it hit 80k on the odo for only 2 grand less than we paid! Leading to...

2021 Ford Explorer ST - Current "primary" car and the first car bought brand new. The house that we bought had a garage with a 30ft bay in it, meaning that we could finally get the boat that we always dreamed of (plus going from renting to owning was a HUGE savings - death to all landlords), but this would need something more substantial for towing. Living in a big city I wasn't quite ready for a truck but with a rear wheel drive based AWD system (so it's primarily RWD and then kicks in the front as needed, whereas most other mid sized SUVs like this are the opposite) and the turbo and supercharged 400hp engine offered only on the ST and equivalent Lincoln's at the time, this thing checked all the boxes. Pulls my 5000lb boat just fine, although it does suck gas when doing so, and is fast and fun to drive for such a big car the rest of the time. Been awesome for all the projects I've been doing around our house, and I got an 8x4 folding trailer to haul lumber, Christmas trees, and the hot tub that we cut out of the back yard without loving up the interior. Drove it to Buffalo last fall for Packers - Bills on what turned out to be one of my all time favorite vacations, and then this summer towed the boat to the Lake of the Ozarks. Quite like it and so far only have about 35K on it, but seeing as I've had it for a couple of years now I'm starting to kick around the idea of getting a pickup. It'll probably happen in the next year or so as I'd really like a Sierra Denali with the 6.2L that my girlfriend's dad has in his.

2020 Ford Escape Titanium - Current "second" car. Finally traded in the loving Subaru for this last winter after diving home one day and having all the electric fail in it. My combo of Subaru and Malibu had been OK for a second car, and not having a payment was nice, but at a certain point one must realize that they are now in their mid 30s, the Subaru is uncomfortable as gently caress, and this is just stupid. I could afford another car. Also the Subaru wasn't going to pass its emissions that were due in a couple of months. So off we went and found this guy. Going back to our original experience with an Escape this ended up being the best option in our budget. It even has a couple of things that the fully loaded ST doesn't, like a heads up display. Tons of power and a fun little car to drive. She takes it to work most days and it's been awesome. I'm sure we'll drive it a couple more years and then I'm looking at maybe something electric, especially with the good deals on Mustang Mach E's, or maybe that new Cadillac one. I do find the current big tax on electric cars to be appealing along with the appeal of never having to buy gas again. Obviously going to stick to my BUY MURICAN mantra, well, check that, buy good murican, Apartide Clyde doesn't count and I'd never buy a thing from any of his companies.

So yeah, every Big 3 car I've had has been great, while every asian car, especially that loving Subaru, has been a piece. Also something that I've noticed while driving all these American cars is that, if I'm at a light behind another American or German (or European in general) and start to accelerate, the torque bands on them seem to accelerate well and I don't feel like I'm being slowed down. If I see a Honda H, a Toyota logo, or god forbid a Kia, I try and get in the other lane because sure enough, without stomping on the gas, just accelerating normally, I'll be two blocks down while they are still crawing through the intersection. I don't quite know what it is, beyond just general calibration of the transmissions I did have a co-worker way back when who had a Mazda that put this giant "instant fuel economy" thing right in the middle of the dash board, and that caused him to drive slow as poo poo so maybe that's some of it to, but either way I've never found pacific rim cars much fun to drive and definitely annoying to be caught behind.

cars in general are more reliable now than in the past, so american cars, and cars in general, have fewer issues than 40 years ago. american cars are still among the worst in the world, with a few exceptions. your anecdotes won't change that unfortunately but im glad most of your cars have held up.

anyway, i dont know a single person who believes or believed a subaru to be reliable lol. the older ones are capable cars, esp on loose surfaces, but theyve never been reliable. maybe compared to a jeep lmao. and i know a LOT of subaru owners

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Towards the end my 88 Civic did have difficulty going up big hills, there was this 50MPH big one that was particularly embarrassing because some folks want to speed and I am flooring it to keep it at 45-49.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

redshirt posted:

Towards the end my 88 Civic did have difficulty going up big hills, there was this 50MPH big one that was particularly embarrassing because some folks want to speed and I am flooring it to keep it at 45-49.

Yeah my first car struggled with stuff like that too. It was weird when I got a different car that on the same hills I didn't even need to downshift to keep pace.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

anyway, i dont know a single person who believes or believed a subaru to be reliable lol. the older ones are capable cars, esp on loose surfaces, but theyve never been reliable. maybe compared to a jeep lmao. and i know a LOT of subaru owners

seriously. and doing the kinds of jobs they need like head gaskets absolutely sucks because they're usually like a flat 4

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

lol those of you buying a new car almost every other year. are most of them sitting on your lawn or something?

Dick Fontaine posted:

is this thread some kind of elaborate identity theft scheme?

probably

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
TIL if someone remembers you from your high school years they apparently have full access to your bank account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

frogge posted:

lol those of you buying a new car almost every other year. are most of them sitting on your lawn or something?

Let me introduce you to the concept of selling cars when you would like to stop owning them