Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

It's alive!
The scary amalgamation of pumpkin and banana bread is here to terrorize your taste buds!
Also simply known as pumpkin banana bread. This was a first attempt and I learned a lot; this recipe could be greatly improved which I'll note what I think could be changed at the end.

Recipe
code:
Preheat Oven to 350F
9x5 bread pan
Baking spray or equivalent
    2 - overly ripe bananas
1 1/3 - cups pumpkin purée
  1/2 - cup of honey
  1/2 - cup of brown sugar
  1/3 - cup of vegetable oil
    2 - large eggies
2 1/2 - cups of white flour
    1 - tsp baking soda
    1 - tsp baking soda
  1/2 - tsp salt
    1 - tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 - tsp pumpkin spice
Step1: Thaw those frozen nanners

Step2: Acquire and spray your 9x5 pan

Step3: Measure out your pumpkin purée, oil, and honey, mix in a large bowl with naked bananas and eggs.

Step4: The secret ingredient is love sugar. Add it into your mix and whisk.

Step5: In a separate bowl combine your remaining flour, powders, and spices

Step6: Slowly add the flour mixture into your goo bowl while whisking until just mixed. If you're like me and don't have a mixer, borrow a second pair of hands to save on the tedium.

Step7: Pour and smooth the mixture into the bread pan, you can force the borrowed pair of hands to keep working for this step.

Step8: Place into oven for 45min. This was made at altitude so your time and temperature may vary. I had to add an extra 10 minutes. Place a toothpick, skewer, or chopstick into the center of the bread, if it comes out clean then it's done!

Serve optionally with swipe of butter

The loaf came out a little bigger than I'd wanted, just look at this monster.

It came out a lot better than I expected overall, but there are improvements I'd like to add here for people wanting to try it out.
1. Needs a bit less flour unless you want to have a mammoth loaf like mine.
2. I'd opt for a 3rd banana if you really like banana bread, I'd have enjoyed a bit more of that flavor but there's plenty to be found
3. More spices, the pumpkin spice isn't very noticeable, I'd add a bit more pumpkin spice and cinnamon if you enjoy that flavor
4. Some chocolate chunks or something similar like peanut butter chips, etc, would be a great addition to this to add a bit more variety
5. Maybe experiment with red bananas for something a little more unique. I wasn't sure how they'd do so I stuck with yellow for the recipe.

I'm sure if someone played around with the ingredient ratios a bit they'd make a really good pumpkin banana bread. Thanks for coming to my bread talk.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
hell yeah i would eat this bread

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

That bread with a nice schmear of apple butter would be great.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

kumba posted:

hell yeah i would eat this bread

Hell yeah!

Grandicap posted:

That sounds really good, tbh.
I'm sure there's quite a few things you could spread on here that would be pretty great. Butter was just what I had on hand and thought of at the time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad loves making banana bread and he would eat the poo poo out of this. Hell I might eat some myself.

Grandicap posted:

This is a really good idea.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grey Cat posted:

Step7: Pour and smooth the mixture into the bread pan, you can force the borrowed pair of hands to keep working for this step.

Are those really really overripe bananas, or some interestingly colored variety?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Brutal Garcon posted:

Are those really really overripe bananas, or some interestingly colored variety?

Those on the counter are red bananas! :)

They are pretty ripe also, but their peels come red. They're a pretty similar flavor but the texture and flavor are noticeably different from yellow bananas.

If you ever try some make sure they're pretty ripe when you get them. Otherwise they are very dry and fibrous. They also ripen very slowly.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 30, 2023

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Freezing them is also going to generally make bananas look a lot riper than they looked before.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Griddle of Love posted:

Freezing them is also going to generally make bananas look a lot riper than they looked before.

The red bananas weren't frozen yet, they just look like that when they're ripe. They've hit peak smoothie levels.
The yellow bananas pictured at the start were frozen and yeah they go in black and yellow and come out a nearly homogeneous brown bruise.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Oh wow, if you hadn't explained it, I would not have spotted the difference.

Also now I'm thinking of delicious banana bread again, curses! (It's really hard to make banana bread when your banana consumption just scales up to meet your banana supply.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Griddle of Love posted:

Also now I'm thinking of delicious banana bread again, curses! (It's really hard to make banana bread when your banana consumption just scales up to meet your banana supply.)

It's a curse I think we can all live with.

The bigger problem is now I've filled 12 freezers full of bananas! At this rate I'll be buried alive.