Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Achmed Jones)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Halloween is happening soon. After that it'll be Thanksgiving, and then things are gonna get weird. Fuzzy Mammal has stepped down from organizing the Yosmas gift exchange, but he left me some OPs, a Google form, and some Apps Script stuff. Let's get this Yosmas train rolling.

:siren: Rules :siren:
  • No lurkers please
  • Minimum of $20 (shipping not included). Handmade gifts are 100% encouraged and appreciated, so long as there was obvious thought put into it.
  • You must post in this thread - both the required registration post and subsequent update posts, including unboxing pics.
  • Register by end of SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 26TH. I live on the west coast of the US, so that's the time zone I care about, but let's not be rules lawyers about sending gifts. Assignments will go out 24 hours or so after registration closes. If necessary, we might try to pick up stragglers after registration closes, but probably not.
  • Proof of shipment. This can be PM'd or emailed to jonesachmed@gmail.com. If you're doing multiple shipments, please let me know. If proof of shipment has not been received by Dec. 31st, you will be considered a flake.

:siren: Instructions :siren:
  1. Fill out the form here: https://forms.gle/zjpN6aNVPg34FLmE6 (no login required). If you would like your package addressed to something other than your forums name, be sure to include it here. Note that there have been problems in the past delivering to forums handles (mostly with international shipping, if I remember correctly).
  2. Post an introduction in the thread.
  3. Don't flake.
  4. When your gifts arrive, post some cool pictures of what you got. If you can include your dog, cat, bird, or lizard then so much the better. Nothing bad happens if you don't do this, but c'mon!

Previous years:

Please PM me and/or post in this thread if you're willing to help out with elf-ing.

Midjack is currently our sole, and also therefore best and most dashing, elf. He has this advice for you:

quote:

note to all participants: especially for non-us, make sure you supply a name where you can receive mail. if your gift has to clear incoming customs santa will have to address it and your box may get hung up at the post office until you can release it. my post office won't release a box addressed to "Midjack" but will release one addressed to my real name if they assess duties owed on it.

Current status: Registrations are closed and assignments have been sent. We are now in the "stalk your recipient, send them cool gifts" phase of the operation.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Wow, am I the first one here?

So happy you've brought this back this year! I look forward to it every year, such weird and unique gifts. I really like seeing what other people get and send.

I've got 2 kiddos and wife and a dog, wife loves kdramas and kids love legos (even the ones from ali express). Myself, I'm a fan of all things cyberpunk, retrogaming/computing. I own some macross 82-99 Vinyls and play retro games on my AYN Odin and have physical copies of multiple cyberpunk novels. Big in to comics but I rarely buy them anymore.

Beyond that I'm a huge linux nerd who hacks mainframes for a living.

If youre thinking kids stuff one of my kids is super allergic to peanuts so no to that. Also the doggo is 30lbs wet.

Really excited to watch this space for the next 3 months.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:discourse:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
In

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
thanks achmedjones for taking over. i’m pretty sure I can participate!

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
hell ya im in

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Hacker voice I’m in

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im not just the organizer, im also a participant!

(im in)

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

extremely in

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
Had a blast with this last year, I'm IN

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think the last time i did this might’ve been pre covid

what ridiculous thing should i make

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

[ik note: try posting again, just do it better this time. or dont post at all, that'd be great too]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 3, 2023

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

I'm all in, gentlemans

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gently caress it, I am IN this year

I’m Silver Alicorn, your local gay panda fan. I like red pandas, non-commercial space exploration, sci-fi, sewing, computer games, red pandas, pumas, servals, coyotes, foxes, opossums, unicorns, hobby electronics, lots of other nerd stuff?? Don’t have pets or kids, no alcohol/drugs

I have been working on a vintage computer build for some time, the parts I need for it now are pretty hard to get/expensive (lian-li aluminum case?? GeForce 2 Pro???) so I’m not expecting much. this being YosPos though I expect you to have some kind of computer garbage lying around. if you send me some cool windows 2000 compatible software I will install it and show it off. bonus points if it can actually make use of 2 CPUs. music stuff is cool. actually I could use a floppy drive cable

I didn’t participate for the last couple of years because I was brainsad and didn’t think I could come up with anything cool to send. I am more optimistic this year but I might still solicit tips.

what else should I say? mleb

E: I should also say I collect playing cards. I have a lot of fancy ones. been meaning to get a nice tarock deck but I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet

but also if you can find any cool local themed playing cards that fun too

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 6, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

JAnon posted:

I'm all in, gentlemans

janon, I'm sorry, but I don't recognize you and I've received several messages from other people who are, frankly, a bit concerned that you might get their physical address. you're a new registration with only a few posts in yospos. so while i don't have a bad thing to say about you, part of doing this sort of thing is making sure that participants feel safe disclosing their personal details. and since people have said that they are specifically _not_ comfortable with relatively unknown people taking part, i am going to exclude you under the 'no lurkers, please' provision. please do feel free to keep on yosposting and to take part next year!

but, like, post better. your thing begging for expensive computer components might have been intended as a joke, but if so it was a very dumb joke that kinda flies in the face of the whole vibe here and just, like, c'mon man.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

I'm all in, gentlemans

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

what's the appetite for shipping to/from APAC? Or maybe we can do a regional yosmas down here?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if APAC folks don't mind shipping internationally, it's not a problem at all

if they do i can just try to match them up with each other or w/e (though might not be able to keep it strictly intranational)

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I'm fine with shipping anywhere

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sweet, it wont be a problem at all then

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
how bad is international shipping nowadays? I could probably do it actually but it will impact the budget for the actual gift

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

how bad is international shipping nowadays? I could probably do it actually but it will impact the budget for the actual gift

for small things and national post probably not too bad. I looked at courier for an mbp to Europe and it was 200 dollarydoos. kinda why I asked in the first place, not so much for me as for the person who’d have to send something down under

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

from straya to us

up to 20kg
6-9 days
from $21AUD

up to 1kg
15+ business days
from $13.55

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
fond memories of a 2 liter shasta costing $80 to get shipped to straya

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shitface posted:

from straya to us

up to 20kg
6-9 days
from $21AUD

up to 1kg
15+ business days
from $13.55

golly is that ever reasonable

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

*yosmas voice* im in

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i volunteer to elf again!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I’m in if I don’t count as a lurker. I only post in the catte thread and lurk everything else. im changing careers into computer touching so you’ll see more of my terrible posting in the future and I’ll participate next year if I can’t this year. I assume elf-ing is standby secret Santa’s for people who can’t send their gifts out?

also just happy to see Santa Teddy :unsmith:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

elf-ing is more acting as a liaison if a santa needs to ask their santee a question (or vice versa). i dont think that elf-ing generally involves serving as a backstop but maybe im wrong on that front. i will let midjack speak authoritatively to the scope of their duties (also, thanks midjack!)

cat thread 100% counts imo. i dont read it but that's a me-problem not a you-problem

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fwiw i also assumed elfing was backup santa duty

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

elf-ing is more acting as a liaison if a santa needs to ask their santee a question (or vice versa). i dont think that elf-ing generally involves serving as a backstop but maybe im wrong on that front. i will let midjack speak authoritatively to the scope of their duties (also, thanks midjack!)

cat thread 100% counts imo. i dont read it but that's a me-problem not a you-problem

glad to help! thanks for coordinating it. :cheerdoge:

the bulk of elf duty is acting as a proxy for santas asking questions but very occasionally elves un-grinch if a santa falls out of comms, gets banned, or has a sudden change in finances. i had to un-grinch once the first time i elfed but not again since, we have a pretty low grinch rate overall here.

note to all participants: especially for non-us, make sure you supply a name where you can receive mail. if your gift has to clear incoming customs santa will have to address it and your box may get hung up at the post office until you can release it. my post office won't release a box addressed to "Midjack" but will release one addressed to my real name if they assess duties owed on it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
buyin gifts early this year

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kuvo posted:

lmao

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lmao. buy em early enough and they may have pupated by the time santee gets em too.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i wonder who'll get the dreamcast this year

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Kuvo posted:

:lmao:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Kuvo posted:

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored