Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just made a post about how comedy wrestling kept me interested in wrestling between like 2008 - 2015 and it made me super nostalgic about I dunno the vibes of this place back in the day.

Been posting since 2005 and pretty much every week was us just lambasting poo poo in WWE, making fun of TNA, catching really cool gifs from lesser known federations like ROH, PWG, Chikara.

It can't be understated how much disappointment we would get for about a decade plus from WWE being the only easily accessible wrestling for North America. You would like stuff you liked, hope it would get pushed, it wouldn't, or if it did was pushed in a stupid way that didn't give you what you wanted.

So I decided to make a thread for us old timers. Feel free to come in, chat about back in the day posting or anything else you wanna. Or if you're young come in and make fun of the boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Time proved free market gravy right

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Remember how "Release the Doves" went from a WH2K meme to an actual PPV poster? Good times.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I didn't pay attention to wrestling or come to this subform until a couple years ago so I hope people post here so I can retroactively experience the fun times of the Wrestle Hut :)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lots of poo poo posts. Lots of transformations. Like I know we have a quarterly meeting in the feedback thread about each other's rudeness or whatever - but this place is way nicer than it used to be.

But even back in the 2005 era the wrestling sub forum was way chiller than other places on SA.

My friend Matt told me about this place in 2004 and I would lurk for like a year until I got my first credit card in 2005 and I bought my sub. Even back then the idea that this was a place that would use a price tag to gate keep the worst away really appealed to me and at least in WH2K it worked.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shard posted:

Lots of poo poo posts. Lots of transformations. Like I know we have a quarterly meeting in the feedback thread about each other's rudeness or whatever - but this place is way nicer than it used to be.

But even back in the 2005 era the wrestling sub forum was way chiller than other places on SA.

My friend Matt told me about this place in 2004 and I would lurk for like a year until I got my first credit card in 2005 and I bought my sub. Even back then the idea that this was a place that would use a price tag to gate keep the worst away really appealed to me and at least in WH2K it worked.

I decided to post here after lurking through a thread where everyone was talking about how cool Bam Bam Bigelow was in the wake of his death. This is by far the nicest subforum in SA and the least openly hostile to new/unfamiliar posters.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I remember there was a span of around a couple of months or so where there would be some lovely B movie on Syfy after ECW and we would just watch it and poo poo on it in the thread. I remember there was one where Jason Mewes had a an affair with a vampire who ended up murdering his girlfriend. And another one about mutant monkeys killing college students in Africa that had F. Murray Abraham in it for some reason.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Wrestling Merch Buy/Sell/Trade Marketplace, and of course Triple E's HUGE Wrestling DVD Sale.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Oh poo poo I just remembered the release the doves meme and that one goon made a shirt of it and I bought it. Had that shirt for years.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

frankly i do not believe an rear end would be very hospitable

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I remember once drawing Kevin Nash's quads exploding while he enjoyed an ice cream cone. This must have been during CM Punk's WWECW run. I'm nostalgic for that lost piece of art.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i stumbled in here when i started watching wrestling again in 07/08 and matt (of hulkamatt fame) streamed an roh show randomly one night and i was hooked. fun place, great help in finding new stuff. dont miss the butt crew weirdoes

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I enjoyed the time period where many of us from here would watch cartoon era wwf and pre-nwo wcw together on goon tube or whatever it was called

its the period of wrestling I remember most fondly from my childhood and riffing on it as an adult with other people was good fun

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I remember fondly watching Samoe Joe vs Necro Butcher for the first time and thinking "haha yeah gently caress yeah kill him". Thank you Wrestlehut 2000 for showing me cool poo poo before it was widespread.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

neoaxd posted:

I remember fondly watching Samoe Joe vs Necro Butcher for the first time and thinking "haha yeah gently caress yeah kill him". Thank you Wrestlehut 2000 for showing me cool poo poo before it was widespread.

I first saw wrestling outside of WWE post 2002 from here. I remember losing my poo poo when someone shared a video file of petey williams doing a canadian destroyer. And hearing about all these amazing wrestlers on roh like Samoa Joe, CM Punk (I thought he was cool back then), Bryan Danielson, El Generico and Kevin Steen.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

"Put On The loving Shirt Cena."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Back when I still had the free time I used to love putting together the "Mystery Box" compilations of various tenuously-related-to-a-theme wrestling matches and doing a synchronized watch here on the forums. This was before there were a lot of streaming options (I think some people would use Justin.tv for that?) so I'd upload them with a little clock in the corner synched up to Eastern Time so people could stay synched up :3:

The Syfy ECW revival was a blast if only for the silly threads (the wrestling was often good too!), it was a good time atmosphere in there or at least I don't remember any bad parts/aggression (that's nostalgia for you!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

neoaxd posted:

"Put On The loving Shirt Cena."

:negative:

We all waited so long...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

made a lot of cool irl friends thanks to this place.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

I never posted but I would read the WWE gdts when watching the shows at work the next morning and definitely wouldn't have kept watching wrestling after the 2011 punk stuff if it wasn't for this place turning me on to the existence of other wrestling. It's been the only worthwhile place to talk about wrestling online for as long as I've been watching, butts crew notwithstanding

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i remember when tna had austin aries beat bobby roode for the tna title and completely kill their massive long-term storyline of storm/roode, and this forum treated it like tna had finally done something good for the first time ever

then aries did a lovely cm punk ripoff promo and lost the title to jeff hardy and james storm was turned into a total dork lmao tna was the best because any time you had hope, no matter for what reason or in whom, you were stupid for it

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You know how weirdo freaks who are probably racists love to say “You couldn’t make Blazing Saddles today?” You couldn’t have a Buttz Krew today, nor should you.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Also Wrestlehut meetups before ROH shows were really fun. Goonrow for Misawa was a great time.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Matt Hardy turning on Jeff in WWE and the internet breakdown after spawned the first variation of the Bad Wrestling Opinions thread called "Jeff Hardy will win for Wrestlema!" Or something like that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

weekly font posted:

Also Wrestlehut meetups before ROH shows were really fun. Goonrow for Misawa was a great time.
that was probably my favorite period ever being a wrestling fan, goin to roh with the goons

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My favorite WH2K moment is still Mark Henry crushing Randy Orton for the belt and WH2K just being :stonk: :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My favorite WH2K moment is still Mark Henry crushing Randy Orton for the belt and WH2K just being :stonk: :stare:

The reactions to Mark Henry faking out a retirement was incredible too. "I GOT PLENTY OF GAS LEFT IN THE TANK!" :stonklol:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

There were some really bright spots in dark times and Mark Henry was most definitely one of them.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

This sub-forum dogpiling on Matt Hardy during his pre-Broken phase when he was a complete mess of a man was fun times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There was a time when Jeff Hardy was legitimately seen as a top level star while Matt was his embarrassing mess of a brother whose career had been destroyed through a mixture of external and internal factors. Crazy what time can do.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 31, 2023

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

WH2K: Please sign all of our indy darlings WWE!
TKO: Stop signing all of our indy darlings WWE!

Turns out signing better talent didn't fix systemic company issues.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

There was a time when Jeff Hardy was legitimately seen as a top level star while Matt was his embarrassing mess of a brother whose career had been destroyed through a mixture of external and internal factors. Crazy what time can do.
this was pre-wh2k but the wwe thread arguing whether matt hardy grabbing the mic from the crowd at RAW and saying he was gonna be at ring of honor was a work or not was really funny stuff

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It did fix the problem where everybody in WWE was boring as poo poo and I didn't want to root for any of them.
I didn't even care about John Cena's reign of terror so much because I didn't think anybody else in the company was being robbed of their day in the sun.
Batista was dull in the ring and didn't start being interesting until he turned heel at the end of his run. And Randy Orton is called 'Blandy Boreton' for a reason.

After they started signing indie darlings it became 'everybody in WWE except Daniel Bryan and CM Punk is boring as poo poo and why are you still pushing John Cena over them'

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

On a more positive note, I remember Smackdown advertising a segment that The Undertaker would eviscerate CM Punk and we all thought in the GDT that he was going to literally kill him. Good times.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

*looks at my regdate*

Agh I’ve wasted my life

Gormeau
Apr 6, 2009

I always loved Randy Orton's never ending battle against breakable tables. There was some fun piling on in the threads

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Without this subforum, I definitely never would have watched short-lived Sci-Fi Channel series Cha$e, which had Ricky Ortiz in one episode. He was fun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bryan Danielson losing the World Title to Sheamus in 18 seconds at WM, and the reactions it produced in the mania thread was priceless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Bryan Danielson losing the World Title to Sheamus in 18 seconds at WM, and the reactions it produced in the mania thread was priceless.

I laughed my rear end off and then waited for them to redo the match and then I realized oh my God that was it, they weren't going to do anything else, Danielson was done for the night. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I still miss the Punchsport Pisscast. The four hour ramblings made for a great listen at the job I was working at the time.

"I call him Kevin Steen"