Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I couldn't get through the first episode of Fleabag, which is odd since I usually love shows about despicable people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

futurama

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Grey Cat posted:

Everyone is a comedy genius

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I

The Bible
May 8, 2010

This, but also The IT Crowd.

I just... don't get what everyone sees in this show. The boss character is stupidly over-the-top, the nerds don't really even talk like actual nerds (and the acting is incredibly hammy and exaggerated), the jokes just aren't funny ("Did you restart it?"), I just don't see what is supposed to be so genius about this show.

It isn't terrible, it just isn't funny at all. I've managed to sit through the first episode and didn't so much as crack a smile even once.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Bible posted:

I just... don't get what everyone sees in this show. The boss character is stupidly over-the-top, the nerds don't really even talk like actual nerds (and the acting is incredibly hammy and exaggerated), the jokes just aren't funny ("Did you restart it?"), I just don't see what is supposed to be so genius about this show.

It isn't terrible, it just isn't funny at all. I've managed to sit through the first episode and didn't so much as crack a smile even once.

america elected donald trump as president and might do so again

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Mostly I'm just indifferent to stuff. lovely Creek (spellcheck error but I stand by it) is probably the show I've bounced off hardest relative to what everyone told me. Which is a bummer, I like Eugine Levy.

Mandalorian has always been pretty garbage, even as a dumb action show it goes to great lengths to make the action as dumb as possible. I did stick with it far enough to get the reveal when he finally meets other Mandalorians, which was actually pretty great, so I just quit a few episodes after that because it can only be downhill from that.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Chinatown posted:

america elected donald trump as president and might do so again

Also very not funny.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Yeah the IT Crowd was fuckin terrible

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

The Bible posted:

The reason you don't get it is because only the peasantry like it. It's actually not funny, you're right. "Hey clown man is doing clown things" is not funny, except to the peasantry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SatansOnion posted:

you just described how I feel about The Big Bang Theory. worse, my father loving loves that show. "I'm a nerd and even though I don't use the specific word 'autism' it's exactly what I am. Bazinga, Penny!" [audience hoots and hollers with derisive laughter for ten minutes]
"Oh, Sheldon. As a normal person, I can say with authority that you're a weird freak." [another fifteen minutes of hoots, hollers]

I don't personally care for the show either and tried to avoid it where I could, but I can't really bring myself to hate it because my mother once told me it was basically one of the few things helped he get through the pain of my father dying when she felt like giving up and dying herself, so I at least have that to be grateful for towards it, I suppose.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I think a lot of shows in the Obama era (particularly NBC) suffer from a general naiveness and “look <insert traditionally terrible thing here> can actually be good now!” that permeates the writing and feel of the show.

Like small town midwestern liberal politics winning over the crusty conservatives and elites like in Parks and Rec. Then 2016 came and showed us that nah, those people want to legitimately kill you.

Anyways, I’m not sure i hate anything too surprising, but I kinda fizzled out on New Girl. I think it became just a bit too twee and a lot of web media I felt was adopting things from the show as like, a way to be with your friends - like “Here’s the REAL RULES to XYZ” whatever that game they made up (presidents or something? It kinda shatters the illusion of it all because all of these things are tools for jokes and not a personality traits. And once you see them identifying as the latter it becomes cringey.

Schitt’s Creek also got brutally slow. Like whole episodes without a solid laugh.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 31, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crazyweasel posted:

I think a lot of shows in the Obama era suffer from a general naiveness and “look <insert traditionally terrible thing here> can actually be good!” that permeates the writing and feel of the show.

Like small town midwestern liberal politics winning over the crusty conservatives and elites like in Parks and Rec. Then 2016 came and showed us that nah, those people want to legitimately kill you.

Anyways, I’m not sure i hate anything too surprising, but I kinda fizzled out on New Girl. I think it became just a bit too twee and a lot of web media was like “Here’s the REAL RULES to XYZ” whatever that game they made up (presidents or something?) and it kinda shatters the illusion of it all because it’s much better as a writing tool for jokes and not a personality trait.

The Obama years really were a magical anomaly that fooled a lot of centrist and leftists into thinking that things in the US could maybe almost be better and that "the evil has been defeated" to quote the girl in the meme, and it turned out that no, they just let their guard down and got steamrolled because evil never rests on its laurels like good does.

The end of Battlestar Galactica suffers from that too. The show billed itself as a Bush Era sci-fi show with an Obama Era ending so it ends 4 years of utter misery on an ultimately empty positive note because the US defeated racism by electing a black man president.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

The Obama years really were a magical anomaly that fooled a lot of centrist and leftists into thinking that things in the US could maybe almost be better and that "the evil has been defeated"
That never happened.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

the holy poopacy posted:

Mandalorian has always been pretty garbage, even as a dumb action show it goes to great lengths to make the action as dumb as possible. I did stick with it far enough to get the reveal when he finally meets other Mandalorians, which was actually pretty great, so I just quit a few episodes after that because it can only be downhill from that.

One of the most frustrating parts is tedious space chases. Oh no Mando is being chased by eight generic pirates gee hope he somehow wins again effortlessly.

S2 did have some bright spots oddly courtesy of Bill Burr. Him getting to a breaking point listening to an imperial brag about war crimes was a good episode.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Prettz posted:

The reason you don't get it is because only the peasantry like it. It's actually not funny, you're right. "Hey clown man is doing clown things" is not funny, except to the peasantry.

I'm lowbrow as gently caress, though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I watched a ton of Star Trek, like TNG and Voyager, because when I lived in japan as a teenager we only had one english channel on tv, and I don't think I've ever found it anything but boring and annoying. The whole tone of it just reminds me of a community theatre play or something.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Anything to do with the Cyberpunk franchise.

I really liked the art style of Edgerunners, but ended up finishing it out of spite. It's astonishing how well Trigger managed to emulate the feeling of watching an OVA back in the day. I was looking for Miami Mike, the poo poo was such a predictable and empty excuse of a technoir anime.

It's really frustrating because the artists, musicians and voice actors brought their A- game, but the writing is perfunctory at best.

It's kind of worse to be blueballed by something you just almost enjoy, hoping it'll get better, than to sit through something you hate. At least if I hate it, I'll put it down.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

I watched a ton of Star Trek, like TNG and Voyager, because when I lived in japan as a teenager we only had one english channel on tv, and I don't think I've ever found it anything but boring and annoying. The whole tone of it just reminds me of a community theatre play or something.

I like most Trek, but I can't get through the original series.

I know they had like, no budget, and special effects of the day were middling at best even by 60s standards, and I can forgive all that. The effects aren't where the weaknesses lie.

The scripts; goddamn are they just awful. At least three where they encounter some alternate Earth, except something dumb like the Greek gods are real or everyone is mafia. One where Kirk reads the Declaration of Independence, which somehow was written entirely identical to ours, despite a totally different history on their Earth. Then you have episodes like Spock's Brain, which only work because they are so incredibly bad that they are funny.

People talk about episodes like Voyager's Threshold being the worst in the franchise, but if Threshold were a TOS script, it would be lauded as the finest of that entire series.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Basically everything popular, which sucks and takes no risks and is stupid because most people suck and take no risks and are stupid

Caesar Saladin posted:

The show is literally morality plays

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Basically everything popular, which sucks and takes no risks and is stupid because most people suck and take no risks and are stupid

The show is literally morality plays

Sometimes it gets the morals hilariously wrong.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The last Star Wars was really, unintentionally, one of the funniest movie watching experiences I've ever had.It was magical to see every smelly pile of dogshit roll down from the screen, hit after hit. I haven't laughed that hard at a film in years, sorry anybody who went to watch 'Rise of Skywalker' expecting god I dunno, a good film maybe? and had me cackling away a few seats over.

I haven't ever really had any film I've seen since be quite so unintentionally funny to me since. I had a moment watching the Multiverse of Madness film where I *crack ping*'d and realized 'oh, this is a bad film'. The girlfriend thought I was having a seizure, I was convulsing with so much suppressed laughter.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 31, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

i absolutely agree that TNG has community theatre vibes and thats a huge part of the reason i love it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Festivus Miracle posted:

The last Star Wars was really, unintentionally, one of the funniest movie watching experiences I've ever had.It was magical to see every smelly pile of dogshit roll down from the screen, hit after hit. I haven't laughed that hard at a film in years, sorry anybody who went to watch 'Rise of Skywalker' expecting god I dunno, a good film maybe? and had me cackling away a few seats over.

I haven't ever really had any film I've seen since be quite so unintentionally funny to me since. I had a moment watching the Multiverse of Madness film where I *crack ping*'d and realized 'oh, this is a bad film'. The girlfriend thought I was having a seizure, I was convulsing with so much suppressed laughter.

I made it to the scene that reveals the space duct tape on Anakin's light saber, which is I think about the five minutes into Rise of Skywalker before having a :crackping: moment and going "Oh noooo, this one's just gonna be about JJ trying to erase The Last Jedi at the expense of telling an actual story. Holy poo poo this this is gonna suuuuuuck lol" and then was just physically exhausted for the rest of the film. If I ever watch the film again it'll 100% be either with a friend or a group of people and it'll be the funniest comedy ever, but on my own? Fuuuuck that.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Also, if I never have to watch another loving musical, I'll be just fine.

Musical theatre nerds can be such pushy little psychos over a non-issue. I don't get it.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
The office. Jim and Pam are lovely people

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Thing

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

nine-gear crow posted:

I made it to the scene that reveals the space duct tape on Anakin's light saber, which is I think about the five minutes into Rise of Skywalker before having a :crackping: moment and going "Oh noooo, this one's just gonna be about JJ trying to erase The Last Jedi at the expense of telling an actual story. Holy poo poo this this is gonna suuuuuuck lol" and then was just physically exhausted for the rest of the film. If I ever watch the film again it'll 100% be either with a friend or a group of people and it'll be the funniest comedy ever, but on my own? Fuuuuck that.

It's like JJ panicked when TLJ had the gall to put forward the message that Star Wars is for everyone and should be about cool heroic stories and not OT trivia and thought "Oh dear God we're alienating the Reddit audience!"

They all but had Kelly Marie Tran walk straight up to the camera and say "I am okay with being erased from this story because racists on the Internet don't like me."

I really don't ever want to watch a Star Wars anything ever again after that pos.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the news

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ted Lasso. I don't really like Sudeikis that much, or Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court type plots though. Or sports.

Girls. I tried so hard for my wife's benefit to take it seriously and get into it because I know there's not much media made by women for women about real women things but I just hated them all.

Football. gently caress all you for hijacking the conversation at a social gathering or work lunch to talk about "my Packers" and expecting everyone to not be annoyed as poo poo.

Trailer Park Boys. Ok I don't hate it, it's legitimately hilarious in places and I like the character development and throwaway jokes but I just can't stick with it for more than a couple episodes. And the fans are like Rick and Morty fans, when they start talking I just quit caring.

Robot Chicken. Shut the gently caress up Seth Green. Remember back in the 90s on Saturday mornings how Schoolhouse Rock would come on right after Looney Tunes and you'd be so disappointed? That's how I felt after ATHF would end and Robot Chicken would come on.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I should have worded it, "thinks they are‐"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Bible posted:

Also very not funny.

from a nihilist pov its actually extremely funny

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

DicktheCat posted:

Musical theatre nerds can be such pushy little psychos over a non-issue. I don't get it.

The common defense made for musicals is that you haven't seen the right ones. False, I hate them all.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

game of thrones obviously, what an absolute pile of poo poo

also the it crowd, it’s british bbt

just get the gently caress outta here

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

I Think You Should Leave is unfunny dogshit, just absolutely unbearable to watch. Oh look there’s a weird guy in a mall haha omg let’s train the camera on him for an hour how random lol

yeah this too. it’s really bad

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Vacation and Christmas Vacation both feel like something only rear end in a top hat boomers would enjoy to me.

emSparkly fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 31, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DicktheCat posted:

The Book of Mormon would like a word with you!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

The Book of Mormon would like a word with you!

Yup.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Zugzwang posted:

The West Wing often comes up on lists of "best TV shows ever." It's well-acted and all, but the portrayal of government in it is a total loving fantasy, and I'm 100% sure it poisons (lots of) people's brains to think that the GOP can be reasonable in any way.

lol

If you're that dependent on cocaine and end up writing such propagandistic dreck in support of the US government and the American system you can't depict bipartisanship as cocaine orgies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I find most media exhausting now in our hellscape world— it either feels like watching a comedy set in a burning house where the fire is never mentioned, or a comedy where people say “it is funny that I am on fire”