Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Earwicker posted:

yea there's nothing at all particular to podcasts in that regard. or any media. again people do exactly that with books, stories, commentators who write articles, tv channels, etc. it's also like one of the fundamental mechanisms by which religions and cultures and political idealogies have spread over large areas.

Worf posted:

Yes, and the people that need those in their lives for the same reason are identical for the same reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it also takes a lot more free will to consume a book than it does a podcast frankly

you cant really passively consume a book by being in the same room, and realistically it takes more effort to get even an eBook than it does a podcast "delivered" in a consumable state

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Woolie Wool posted:

Rush is prog rock for stupid people. The good poo poo for one level above normie is Yes. The real good poo poo is Magma.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
So you're saying it's been all downhill for humanity since the first clay tablet? I'd say sooner than that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Opiumden34 posted:

So you're saying it's been all downhill for humanity since the first clay tablet? I'd say sooner than that.

some idiot standing in a robe & sandles shouting is just a podcast

the lower the barrier to entry, the more easily manipulated the audience, probably

or at least, the larger the potential audience and thus total potential manipulation

i could see a high barrier to entry eliminating skepticism bc the cost of entry makes the content seem more real lmao

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 9, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
When is the Official Somethingawful Gooncast going to launch?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The thing about Rush being prog for stupid people is true, but Rush also get that rock music is for stupid people and that "prog-smart" isn't a good kind of smart.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I loved me some Pink Floyd when I was a teenager, but now I know that

Can >>>>> Floyd > Rush

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

Can >>>>> Floyd > Rush

Don't sleep on Camel either, they gently caress pretty hard.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Worf posted:

it also takes a lot more free will to consume a book than it does a podcast frankly

people have been passively consuming the words of parents, teachers, priests, authoritiy figures, and random dudes standing on a rock and yelling, for millennia. the podcast is really not a noteworthy turn of events in humans tendency to adopt the ideas of other humans.

like if there comes a time when a new religion is spread via podcast, or a political revolution is led by podcasters somewhere, you might have a point but right now its not even close to one of the main mechanisms of spreading ideas

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, podcasts are just one of the more recent developments in cultural idea sharing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, podcasts are just one of the more recent developments in cultural idea sharing.

it also happens to be immediately accessible on demand with nearly zero barrier to entry, which cant be said for most of the prior developments

yea we had books 300 years ago but what was the literacy rate? a thing thats moot with a podcast

am/fm radio, while similar, wasnt accessible on demand and algorithmically provided

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Worf posted:

yea we had books 300 years ago but what was the literacy rate? a thing thats moot with a podcast

you don't need literacy to listen to someone talk

like again entire religions and culture and political ideologies have been spread across continents via word of mouth, and when printing was invented that changed how ideas spread rapidly, same with radio and tv and the internet, but there hasn't been a single new cultural development or idea that came about or spread specifically because of the podcast.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

hawowanlawow posted:

Can >>>>> Floyd > Rush

Oh yeah, that's true. I never mentally file Can or Floyd as prog somehow.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Earwicker posted:

you don't need literacy to listen to someone talk

like again entire religions and culture and political ideologies have been spread across continents via word of mouth, and when printing was invented that changed how ideas spread rapidly, same with radio and tv and the internet, but there hasn't been a single new cultural development or idea that came about or spread specifically because of the podcast.

i knew you were going to struggle with this

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:cloud:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Podcasts are delicious, i can't watch videos, read books or play video games while cooking, cleaning or pretending being productive at the office, it's great mixing it with the other delicious thing you can do while doing these things namely listening to music

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Podcasts aren't that unique. They're just like radio shows except casted in a pod.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Rush owns

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:haibrow:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

Oh yeah, that's true. I never mentally file Can or Floyd as prog somehow.

It's always been my mantra that Pink Floyd Is Not Prog. Not sure why I believe this, maybe it's not "technical" enough to qualify?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Rush are good, 2 nerdy longhairs meet a tractor salesman in the wilds of early 70s Canada, listen to Led Zep and away they go. I like how they surfed every rock trend going at the time, like a screechy Bowie

(edit: actually I don't think they "went disco" like Kiss but ICBW)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chrpno posted:

It's always been my mantra that Pink Floyd Is Not Prog. Not sure why I believe this, maybe it's not "technical" enough to qualify?

i mean they did start out as more of a psych rock band with a simpler sound but once it gets into their mid 70's stuff and waters became the main writer, they pretty much check all the boxes of doing what the other major prog rock bands of the time were doing? i don't really get what would make them "not prog".

personally my favorite of that whole scene is king crimson but there's very little prog that i don't like. Can i would file more under krautrock, but that's certainly prog adjacent.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

“Post Things That You Love That Everyone Should Love Unless They’re a Dicksweat”

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't like progressive rock (overall). I like patterns and things fitting into place and lining up.

I am a simple kinda man.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't like progressive rock (overall). I like patterns and things fitting into place and lining up.

I am a simple kinda man.

Linear/through-composed music is all about things fitting into place/lining up, though?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I am a simple kinda man.

That’s fair, something I love and understand

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't find Jon Hamm funny at all. He's fine in Mad Men, but any time he starts mugging to the camera and making wacky faces it's the worst. His whole shtick is basically George Clooney but not as good (or handsome).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Linear/through-composed music is all about things fitting into place/lining up, though?

Progressive rock, in my understanding of it, was always doing things that don't fit nicely into place. Not the standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus or whatever. Off beats, mixing up timing, key changes, experimental, non-standard stuff hence the "progressiveness" of it. Unconventional.

Maybe I'm wrong in some way but that's my current understanding of what progressive rock is.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

pretty much all lyrics to every song are dumb as hell and its amazing people aren't embarrassed to be singing them

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Randallteal posted:

I don't find Jon Hamm funny at all. He's fine in Mad Men, but any time he starts mugging to the camera and making wacky faces it's the worst. His whole shtick is basically George Clooney but not as good (or handsome).

Great Value George Clooney

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Progressive rock, in my understanding of it, was always doing things that don't fit nicely into place. Not the standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus or whatever. Off beats, mixing up timing, key changes, experimental, non-standard stuff hence the "progressiveness" of it. Unconventional.

Maybe I'm wrong in some way but that's my current understanding of what progressive rock is.

that really depends on which band/era you are talking about

a lot of the early prog rock bands were essentially bringing in elements of classical music and jazz to rock. they did write plenty of typical verse/chorus/verse songs, but they also wrote extremely long multipart pieces that were musically complex and involved different time signatures. however, these elements were already pretty conventional outside of rock, in the realms orchestral music and jazz and other genres. progressive rock was different in that it playing with this stuff but with small rock groups led by electric instruments. jazz fusion was a similar genre that emerged around the same time and has a lot of crossover appeal with prog, tho unlike prog its almost entirely instrumental.

in many cases the music is still quite linear and fits nicely into place, jethro tull's thick as a brick for example is just solid rock grooves and great riffs the whole way through and quite accessible except for the fact that it's 46 minutes long.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 10, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Earwicker posted:

except for the fact that it's 46 minutes long.

:stare:

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

I am a simple kinda man.

this groove fits into place pretty perfectly, its just 13/8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugE0AnIHT8

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Whatever it is, it's loving awful. :shrug:

Also, please guys, don't try to get super pedantic like the loving music genre bullshit earlier. I don't care if my definition of "progressive rock" is what is considered absolutely correct, I was able to get my point across just fine.

"I don't like weird poo poo." - me, kinda

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 10, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

my favorite genre of music is Human Rights For All and pennywise DM'd me saying he hates it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pennywise is against human rights

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

pennywise is against human rights

Like I said, I don't like weird poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fighting Elegy posted:

this groove fits into place pretty perfectly, its just 13/8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugE0AnIHT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_8iD5xS1hI