Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Annnnd we're back. It only took about two and a half years, but we're back! I know the old thread is still open, but it's been so long we might as well start fresh with a new and shiny one.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales by Insomniac Games was released in November 2020 as a launch game for the PlayStation 5, with a PS4 version coming out on the same day and a PC port arriving a couple of years later. Rather than a full sequel, this is basically a standalone expansion in the vein of Infamous: First Light and Uncharted: Lost Legacy, a smaller game than the original Marvel's Spider-Man from 2018 but still a fun experience in its own right. I'm certainly not complaining about this game having less Open World ContentTM than the overstuffed first game.

Miles Morales was originally introduced in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, becoming Spider-Man after that version of Peter Parker died (he eventually got better, and then the universe collapsed) and eventually crossing over to the main Marvel universe after the Ultimate books were cancelled. While his comic book incarnation is quite popular and the original run by Brian Michael Bendis was very good (I haven't read any of the more recent stuff), most people probably know Miles from the fantastic Spider-Verse movies or, indeed, the Insomniac games.

Miles also showed up in the original PS4 Spider-Man game and got bitten by a genetically modified spider (which seems to happen surprisingly often), and Peter Parker then took Miles under his wing to train him as a Spider-sidekick. Spider-Man: Miles Morales starts off a year or so after that, and Miles finds himself as New York's only Spider-Man as Peter goes to Symkaria with Mary Jane for a few weeks. What could possibly go wrong in a few weeks?

This is a 100% run of the game. I'll be showing off every main and side mission as well as various collectibles, although one of the main collectibles is just a bunch of generic tech caches so I'm cutting most of those out of the videos to save time. There is a variety of unlockable costumes as well, and while I probably won't show every single one of them in action I'll at least try some of them on in side content videos. Because I don't really read the comics anymore, I don't have the same kind of connection to the different suits as I did to stuff like the almighty Spider-Armor or the 90s Scarlet Spider costume in the original game, so I don't have much to say about them and can't go on huge tangents about their origins.

The first nine episodes of the LP were recorded on the PS4 Pro version due to the fact I didn't have a PS5 when we started this in late 2020, as the extremely few units we got over here sold out within 0.8 femtoseconds of preorders going live. The PS4 version is very solid (at least on the Pro), runs at a stable 30 fps, loads much faster than the original, and looks quite nice as well. Of course, it is now nearly three years later and I do in fact have a PS5, so the rest of the LP will be recorded on that version, running in the Performance RT mode so you get both 60 fps (when the recording isn't dropping frames, of course...) and ray tracing.

ChaosArgate joins me for the initial batch of episodes, but due to scheduling difficulties I'm flying (webswinging?) solo for the rest of the LP, starting from episode 8. He will probably return once we get to Spider-Man 2 at some point.

Oh yeah, and :frogsiren: NO SPOILERS! :frogsiren:

VIDEOS:

Episode 1: The Oath
Episode 2: The Underground
Episode 3: Miles Saves Christmas
Episode 4: Spider-Cat
Episode 5: Lost Control
Episode 6: My Time
Episode 7: The Leader
Episode 8: On the Prowl
Episode 9: Helping the Neighborhood
Episode 10: Quintuple Ballin'
Episode 11: Underground Undercover
Episode 12: The Spider-Guy from Harlem
Episode 13: A Friendly Neighborhood
Episode 14: Virtual Vultures
Episode 15: Curtain Call
Episode 16: Beats by SpiDre
Episode 17: Family Business
Episode 18: Red Alert
Episode 19: Family Quarrel

:spidey:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

reserved

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Part 8: On the Prowl

We head to the Roxxon lab to find out what happened to Phin's brother Rick, but as it turns out we're far from alone.

edit: and now the video is no longer private! I knew I forgot something. :eng99:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 1, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hell yeah, glad to see this back!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Posting congratulations on your return. Also giving a shout out to my favorite villain from the first game who is glad she left New York before this game, let alone the recently released sequel.

You’re going to release me from this undisclosed location soon, right, Screwball?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 9: Helping the Neighborhood

It's the last episode recorded on the PS4 Professional in 2021 (the commentary is new, of course), and today we help out a bunch of folks - and punch out many other folks - around Harlem.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Quintuple Ballin'

We do some more friendly neighborhood type stuff and clobber a few Roxxon goons, but this time everything is a lot shinier since we're no longer on last-gen hardware.

In case you're wondering, the episode title is a reference to YouTube legend Chad Warden of PS Triple Ballin' fame. I figured it was appropriate since we're now on the PS Quintuple. Also, since I apparently keep referencing the Cheap Trick song every time an enemy says "Surrender" even though it wasn't funny the first time, I figured I might as well post that. This song was in Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 so it's Star-Lord approved, although they used the vastly inferior studio version for some reason.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 11: Underground Undercover

I'm going deeper underground. There's too much panic in this town.

Sorry about the slightly... thinner-sounding audio in this one compared to the last few episodes, the surround effect on my headphones somehow got activated when it wasn't supposed to and the commentary audio sounded muffled with too much bass, so I overcompensated for that. Of course, if you've been watching my LPs, you know I often mess with my audio settings and sometimes that means I end up sounding like complete crap, so maybe this isn't such a big deal...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I mentioned how 99% of the Underground budget goes to purple LEDs (someone help me budget this, my criminal organization is dying) but now that I've played ahead a bit and completed all of the training challenges, I have a question for anyone who might be following this:

How exactly did Peter Parker, a man who can't even afford a new laptop, manage to set up all this ultra-advanced tech with hard light holograms and everything? Did he "borrow" the gear his old boss left behind? Well, I guess as long as it means not dealing with Screwball, I don't really care all that much.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 16, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

my headcanon is that every marvel hero gets their tech from battlefield salvage, and 90% of the time that means taking tech from people who recently robbed Stark industries

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 12: The Spider-Guy from Harlem

We stop the big guy's criminal shenanigans in Harlem once and for all, and now Miles is truly the Spider-Guy from Harlem. And he gets a cool scarf!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 13: A Friendly Neighborhood

Making the neighborhood friendlier and getting a fancy new suit as a reward. For some reason, the highest resolution YouTube is bothering to render as of this writing is 1440p, but maybe the 4K version finishes processing sometime this year.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

It took a little digging for me to find this thread, but I'm glad I did. I never got into playing the Spider-Man games on PS4 and 5, and I regret that I haven't the time or the finances to do so.

Keep on keeping on; I'll be watching with interest.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 14: Virtual Vultures

Peter, you can't just leave all that stuff lying around in public places, especially on ESU premises.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 15 - Curtain Call

Alright, we're finally going to that theater to grab the Nuform. I hope Miles is happy now, having reminded us of that roughly 932 times in the last couple of videos.

And before my fellow Iron Maiden fans murder me for getting the Phantom of the Opera lyric wrong, I know perfectly well it's "You're standing in the wings, *there* you wait for the curtain to fall". I'm not sure how I screwed that up. Maybe I should've sung that bit instead of speaking it. Maybe not.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

of all the reasons to reveal your identity, "i am 99% sure this will stop me from immediately getting stabbed in the throat" is a pretty good one imo

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 16: Beats by SpiDre

It's so nice to have family you can trust.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 17: Family Business

A rather lengthy episode this time because I want to be done with the side content as soon as possible. From the next episode on, we'll be mainlining the rest of the plot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 18: Red Alert

Oh, so that's where Rhino went.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 19: Family Quarrel

As much as we'd like to hang out with Uncle Aaron, we really need to get to work before the Tinkerer blows up Roxxon Plaza and the rest of Harlem with it.

Two more plot episodes and one postgame video after this. Yes, I have been much more interested in the RoboCop LP recently, in case that wasn't obvious from the fact I've posted thirteen updates in that thread since the last Spider-Man episode. Not entirely unlike what happened to the original iteration of this thread, which got put on ice when it turned out I had too much fun with San Andreas to pay attention to Miles. But we'll see this to the end, I swear!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 9, 2024

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
In fairness, there also has been more activity in that thread. But I'm still watching, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Also still here. Guess I should check out the Robo cop thread as well.