Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GTO posted:

Following on the Stockton rules chat from the previous thread, basically Stockton rules are the same as Pride rules:

When I watched Ngannou x Fury, I was pretty sure Fury would win, but I also thought "if this were Pride rules..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drat, this is why people want to fight Conor

quote:

$5,576,315 vs. Nate Diaz 1 — Diaz received $2,838,158, and the PPV event generated $61 million.

$5,615,490 vs. Nate Diaz 2 — Diaz received $4,315,490.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pasting from kickboxing thread

It’s… actually happening? Ruleset kinda gimmicky given who’s involved

quote:

Kicks, punches, knees, and elbows are allowed, but trips and sweeps are not. Defensive clinch is a no-go, but fighters can clinch for a maximum of three seconds if they are attacking. As with all other BKFC bouts, the fight will consist of five two-minute rounds, and there is no three-knockdown rule

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

having like four different points in that fight where he could have separated and forced a tired Jailton to fight on the feet, and instead Lewis's brain thought, 'no, I'm going to take him down, this is going great for me.'

My medullae was hot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1013914

quote:

Mao, who founded Shanghai’s first women-only boxing gym after retiring from her professional boxing career in 2010, said that business has been so good that she recently opened a second location.

For many women, a big part of the attraction of combat sports is the chance to achieve a more muscular physique. Until recently, the dominant beauty trend in China prized women who were bai shou you, or “pale, slim, and youthful.” But that is now rapidly changing.

Mixed martial arts star Zhang Weili has played a big role in this. When she became China’s first Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) champion in 2019, Zhang’s powerful body became an object of fascination on Chinese social media. So did her fearless attitude, famously telling one interviewer: “I don’t think women should be defined in a certain way … She can be everything.”
perhaps something good can come of this sport.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

New meta of asking for a weight cut exemption is clutch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oops, wrong thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's just Chito's posting a pic of him with Trump, but it's weird that Threads isn't loaded with chuds in the comments

https://www.threads.net/@chitoveraufc/post/Czjn0OfASHd/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

No ones on threads.

Only leftists bagging on Trump and Dana, which isn't strange given who wants to leave Twitter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

I don't know a single person who has ever said one word about power slap so I don't know where these people are that watch it or if they even exist

The metrics touted around are so off the wall that I assume they're buying views and engagement somehow. To the extent that they need to to a) make claims about it being that popular b) so that YT will shove it in my face all the time, along with alt-right manosphere stuff no matter how much I mark that poo poo as "don't show me."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

he did it to promote Powerslap and his own personal brand because that's show business in the 21st century baby!

Very strong theory, as it predicts this:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

The prelims start with some guys. Jesse Stirn versus Josh Blyden and Khai Wu versus Phil Caracappa. There are no notable things I can find to say about these four men.

Khai Wu was the guy sparring with Zuck, Commodus style. One of a few leadups to Elon wanting to fight Zuck and also all those fighters getting on Zuck’s implication party boat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dang, never thought of that

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

that caught kick into sweep was so loving cool and smooth that my wife ran in from the other room because when i saw it i hollered like i hurt myself

Which fight was this?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Also, I dunno if this was scripted or whatever, but it was weird and gross
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/mma/article-12764965/Tom-Aspinall-nina-drama-fingered-ufc.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

It was the main event, first round - time stamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoEfwnN3V0&t=14064s

Neat, that's a pretty typical kick catch sweep in sanshou. It's all known in MT as well, just not used as often.

Eat This Glob posted:

im not at all a kickboxing guy - how is that sweep viewed by judges? knockdown? an effective strike? nothing at all but cool points and a "sick sweep, dude"?

In MT, which is judged over the whole fight, this would be a cleanly landed technique with significant effect (the fall). If repeated, would also demonstrate the appearance of dominance.

A lot of kickboxing rulesets don't allow throws. Ones that do equate them to strikes and not to knockdowns, which can be vague in non point value systems.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

he wasn’t an invincible cyborg KGB assassin Bond villain, he was a flawed light heavyweight competing up a weight (honestly in the modern game he might be best off at middleweight) who mainly just hit hard and was better at integrating grappling and striking than his opponents because sambo already did that.

I'm not sure he could cut and diet down to 185 like Pereira did. He probably would be in the same spot as DC in terms of lhw size.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Marquardt is probably the worst fighter with the best highlight reel alongside James Irvin.

Gotta be Cody McKenzie.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I was unaware that Cody had a highlight reel

They keep diving for it! J/k, he was pretty good at hunting for them

https://youtu.be/Mj9ez-Ts-N4?si=iAqWdf-E0rT_GT7o

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

reeg posted:

If we're being honest with ourselves the bad fighter with the best highlight reel is Derrick Lewis, followed by a dozen other heavyweights

If you really think Black Beast is a worse fighter than Cody, you are not up in this ho.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fun ad, but the apparel it's selling isn't noteworthy. Hope Alex gets paid

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Veronica Hardy’s descriptions of her post concussion symptoms were scarier than Chris Holdsworth’s. I hope it’s worth it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Where can I see/read these

Yeesh, I got her concussion symptoms confused with those of the woman who beat her, Bea Malecki:
https://cagesidepress.com/2022/02/13/bea-malecki-reveals-scary-details-brain-health-suffering-concussions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Posting this out of nostalgia, I suppose, as Duncan really liked this sport when I last posted about it in the kickboxing thread.
A couple weeks ago, the amateur sanda world championships happened in Fort Worth Texas.
In the heaviest 90kg+ division, this one Chinese guy, Ye Xiang, has been dominant for several years. Part of why Duncan was entertained was that Daniel Ghita went up against him and got dominated cuz of the throwing game.

Have a slightly different take on the fat heavyweights brawling stereotype. This is the gold medal match between China and Kazakhstan.
Ye is extremely good at uhh, taking punches to the head. He's really good at fighting to the ruleset, converting on throws and threatening pushing off the platform Very fast kicks, but absolutely no concern for punches, especially given that his own punches are really powerful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp1z2bR7MNs&t=29s