Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Snowman_McK posted:

For satisfying beatdowns, a lot of the good ones already got mentioned, so I'll put in an obscure one: Mike Brown Leonard Garcia.

Not that Garcia was scummy or anything. He's always seemed like a pretty nice guy. But his wild, flailing style could result in as many frustrating fights as great ones, sometimes beating guys that absolutely should have known better. Then, against Brown, Garcia throws one of his trademark looping punches and Brown just counters straight over the top and loving flattens him. I thought Garcia might have been dead. It was just amazing to see someone pull off, so effortlessly, a counter than had seemingly always been there but no one had ever managed to pull off. One of those 'why don't they just do X' and then someone went and did X.
Jesus that fight goes on a whole two minutes after that shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ZNAGObkLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Jesus that fight goes on a whole two minutes after that shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ZNAGObkLE

oh yeah Garcia was and is insanely tough. He's a guy who had an obvious gameplan to beating him but who also made it clear why it was so very hard to execute it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am reminded of a different kind of one sided beat down:

WEC 49: Varner vs Shalorus

The Prince of Persia repeatedly fouls Goon Enemy Jamie Varner and the judges rule the fight a draw. Varner was as dejected after one of those nut shots as any man.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

haven't seen that name in years. always looked forward to "non important non champion: jamie varner" to close out the monthly OPs back in the day

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The Prince of Persia repeatedly fouls Goon Enemy Jamie Varner and the judges rule the fight a draw. Varner was as dejected after one of those nut shots as any man.

Shalorus landing one kick to the groin, getting a warning, landing a second kick to the groin, losing a point, then landing a third kick to the groin and somehow going back to just getting a warning remains one of the most infuriating yet endearingly funny things that has happened in MMA.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CarlCX posted:

Shalorus landing one kick to the groin, getting a warning, landing a second kick to the groin, losing a point, then landing a third kick to the groin and somehow going back to just getting a warning remains one of the most infuriating yet endearingly funny things that has happened in MMA.
There was also the double-leg attempt where he appeared to bend over entirely at the waist with his arms outstretched and walk backwards.

IF THE REFEREE DQ'S ME FOR NUT KICKS I WILL FACE REED HARRIS AND SHOOT BACKWARDS INTO HELL

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

I sat in the 6th row for this and it was amazing

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Foul Fowl posted:

anderson/chael was a heartbreaker. chael was like half a round from becoming champ and then getting stripped of the belt for steroids which would have been incredible.

this was when anderson was massively dominant but aside from the forrest destruction, he was coming off a bunch of really loving boring title fights. and chael knocked him down in the first round and beat the poo poo out of him. we were all rooting for him. but it's chael and he'll find a way to lose drat it.

Anderson Silva has caught a lot of kicks and punished them in his career. As soon as he caught Chael's first kick, I was like "oh no" and then Chael loving Sonnensaulted out of it and thats when I knew that fight was going to be special. Very few fights give you butterflies in your stomach through the whole thing, but that fight was bonkers. Chael may not have won, but in my books, he didn't lose either.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

MassRafTer posted:

It seems impossible that this trial will ever reach a conclusion but we might be closing in on something.

https://twitter.com/erikmagraken/status/1726747888448118877

If this happens, it will be my favourite UFC beat down.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Freudian slippers posted:

If this happens, it will be my favourite UFC beat down.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

someone find a way to work that way into december's thread title, jfc

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Fedor/Bigfoot was also super satisfying. People who are newish here may not remember how insanely annoying Fedor fans were, so imagine Conor fans but somehow worse. Fedor had gotten subbed shortly beforehand but that was explained away as him getting 'caught.' But then Bigfoot, slow even by heavyweight standards but with decent striking fundamentals, straight up outboxed him, exploiting all the shortcomings in Fedor's boxing that had been there for years. No one had been able to exploit them because heavyweight is a toilet fire in a dumpster, but they'd been there. And a glacially slow heavyweight was able to exploit them. His fans tried to explain it as Bigfoot simply being too big, but then Cormier, who was smaller, knocked out Bigfoot in about three minutes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fedor is only talked about with any sort of reverence in MMA communities because he's become that sort of mythical grandfather figure that is obviously the best because everyone says he's the best. A bit like saying Cobain was one of the greatest guitarists in history.
Saying anything to the contrary is showing that you don't know anything about the topic at hand because EVERYONE says it so it has to be right, right? There's maybe a two year window (05 & 06) where he was the best HW going... maybe.

Also, Fedor's loss to Kohsaka was legit, not an intentional elbow, block/evade better, the format demanded a winner. :shrug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Additionally, it should be illegal to allow Arlovski to fight in 2024 (he's fighting in Jan)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

delightful posted:

Chael may not have won, but in my books, he didn't lose either.

Well you see he only lost the round, so on balance he won the fight

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Possibly my favourite MMA moment.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ilmucche posted:

iirc, chael said he didn't know tapping meant you lost the fight, just that you lost the round, which is some grade-a chael-ing right there

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eat This Glob posted:

iirc, chael said he didn't know tapping meant you lost the fight, just that you lost the round, which is some grade-a chael-ing right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV5zqPW-ukI

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watching Faber and dom is the best part of this

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Watching Faber and dom is the best part of this

lmao yeah, that was a treat. good looking out, mr nice!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Eat This Glob posted:

That's what I was referencing. It was top level comedy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

Fedor/Bigfoot was also super satisfying. People who are newish here may not remember how insanely annoying Fedor fans were, so imagine Conor fans but somehow worse. Fedor had gotten subbed shortly beforehand but that was explained away as him getting 'caught.' But then Bigfoot, slow even by heavyweight standards but with decent striking fundamentals, straight up outboxed him, exploiting all the shortcomings in Fedor's boxing that had been there for years. No one had been able to exploit them because heavyweight is a toilet fire in a dumpster, but they'd been there. And a glacially slow heavyweight was able to exploit them. His fans tried to explain it as Bigfoot simply being too big, but then Cormier, who was smaller, knocked out Bigfoot in about three minutes.

Fedor's camp claiming Bigfoot's camp had used some kind of curse made it even better

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i think it was claimed a witch doctor was in the crowd hexxing fedor in the ring directly which is pretty smart thinking for bigfoot

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i've seen things you people wouldn't believe.. witch doctors in the crowd hexing fighters... boomerangs and quail eggs... the MOTHTAGON... all of these moments lost in time.. like tears in rain.. time to die

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rogan yelling, "NOOOOOOO" like Darth Vader while Cung Le was getting his face flattened was another crowd pleaser of a beat down.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Fedor's camp claiming Bigfoot's camp had used some kind of curse made it even better

Ah, gently caress. Forgot about that part. "Forbidden psychic technologies" is the phrase I remembered. The most Brazilian of excuses coming from a Russian.

TheKingslayer posted:

Rogan yelling, "NOOOOOOO" like Darth Vader while Cung Le was getting his face flattened was another crowd pleaser of a beat down.

I feel like it's been a while since Rogan complained excessively about an early stoppage that wasn't early in any way.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

I feel like it's been a while since Rogan complained excessively about an early stoppage that wasn't early in any way.

The last ppv. When jiri was stopped after falling to his back when getting hammered during his recovery shot, before he said he was out in the interview.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
sorry to interrupt a lively and entertaining discussion, but well...

:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren:

PFL 10: World Championships - Friday, November 11

We’ve made it to the fireworks factory. Well, maybe it’s just the sparkler store. Either way, it’s the PFL Championships. There are six world titles at stake tonight, so let’s jump right into the card breakdown.

The prelims start with some guys. Jesse Stirn versus Josh Blyden and Khai Wu versus Phil Caracappa. There are no notable things I can find to say about these four men.

Next up is the rubber match between Bubba “Bad Man” Jenkins and “The Long Island Killer” Chris Wade. Wade took the first meeting in 2021 by decision, and Jenkins returned the favor this year. Both men are wrestlers who fell to 2022 champ Brendan Loughnane, and both lost in the playoffs of 2023. Because they are so similar, they hate each other immensely.

Then there’s the contractually obligated Biaggio Ali Walsh Amateur Hours Showcase match. Did you know: Biaggio Ali Walsh is the grandson of Muhammed Ali?

To show how much PFL really doesn’t want either guy here, the Featherweight title bout is the Prelim Main Event as Jesus Pinedo takes on Gabriel Alves Braga. These two met at PFL 1 this year, with Braga taking a split decision. Another thing to keep an eye on is that Pinedo missed weight for his playoff bout against Bubba Jenkins. Will he hit 145.0 on the dot against Braga? Or will it be a shitshow?

To start the main card, we have a classic Big Dumb Idiot Fight as Ray “Bradda Boy” Cooper III makes his Middleweight debut against former UFC participant Derek Brunson. At 5’7”, Cooper was severely undersized as a Welterweight, but he just punched people in the face, real fuckin hard, so most of the time that didn’t matter that much. Here, he’s giving up half a foot of reach and height. Let’s hope both guys embrace how stupid this matchup is and just swang hammers at each other until someone falls over. Or, more likely, Brunson just wrestles the hell out of Cooper.

Next up, we’ve got the last non-title fight as Kayla Harrison takes on Aspen Ladd. Harrison has not fought in over a year since losing for the first time ever to Larissa Pacheco in the tournament finals. This is also just the second time she’s making the Featherweight limit, having done a trial run in Invicta in 2020. Ladd is on a one-fight win streak, submitting Karolina Sobek back in June.

We are now at the start of five straight title fights. For the Light Heavyweight title, Impa Kasanganay faces off against Josh Silveira. Impa’s riding a five fight, four finish win streak, while Josh has won three in a row, all by first round stoppage. What happens when two guys with power that know the other guy has power meet? You guessed it: Tepid Kickboxing!

In the Welterweight title bout, we finally get our required dosage of B-League Magomed, as Magomed Magomedkerimov faces “The Swedish Denzel” Sadibou Sy. Magomedkerimov hasn’t lost since he failed to capture the 2021 PFL title, winning five in a row. Sy, on a seven fight win streak of his own, took home the 2022 PFL belt and is looking to go back to back. I feel like I should have made a reference to a Denzel movie, but I’m tired. So very tired.

Larissa Pacheco is looking to become Featherweight champ with her tenth straight win as she faces Marina Mokhnatkina. Marina has won five in a row, including three finishes, while Pacheco has 7 stoppage wins in her streak, all coming inside the first round. With Amanda Nunes retired, we need Pacheco to continue the proud tradition of a hard punching Brazilian 145er. Let’s go, Larissa!

In the co-main event, we’ve got BIG BEEF’UM BOI ACTION! Renan Ferreira faces off against Denis Goltsov. Ferreira has won two in a row, while Goltsov has won five straight, his last loss coming in 2021. But really, the story here is both guys are mildly cursed. Goltsov’s Tapology page is full of fight cancellations, withdrawals, and rebookings. He’s 10-2 in PFL, and has had 9 other fights fall apart. As for Ferreira, his curse has taken the form of Weird poo poo Going On. Renan is 5-1 in PFL with 3 No Contests. The first one came in 2021 against Fabricio Werdum. Ferreira was originally declared the victor by ground and pound TKO, but video review showed he actually tapped to Werdum’s triangle choke prior to escaping (And he only escaped because Werdum thought he had just won) and beginning the punching. Next up, Renan lost a decision to Klidson Abreu in 2022, but that was overturned when Klidson failed a test for an unspecified banned substance. Then Ferreira dropped another decision to Rizvan Kuniev in 2023, but Kuniev tested positive for the following anabolic steroids: drostanolone, metenelone, boldenone, and 19-norandrosterone. So this fight actually taking place and the result not getting changed after the fact is going to be a tough loving journey, a real hard row to hoe.

We are finally at the main event, the Lightweight title bout between “Cassius” Clay Collard and “The Canadian Gangster” Olivier Aubin-Mercier. Collard has won all three of his 2023 PFL bouts by punching, punching, just endlessly punching people. His strategy to counter anything done by his opponent is to punch them, many times. OAM has won 9 in a row, including taking home the 2022 170 lb title over Stevie Ray. He has not tasted defeat since 2019. This should be an exceptional card, because OAM will try to not get punched, but buddy, if you think you ain’t getting punched while in a fight against Clay Collard, you’ve got another thing coming. That other thing? You guessed it, punches!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
BJ Penn getting kissed by a dude right before the GSP fight

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

BJ Penn getting kissed by a dude right before the GSP fight

Also quitting on the stool after going 'to the death' was pretty drat funny. Penn had some of the most annoying fans as well who viewed him as a shroedinger figure. He was a massive badass for going up in weight to fight Diaz or Rory, but also those losses didn' count because the other guy is too big.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
remember penn edgar 3

hope everyone had a good weekend

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

John Romero posted:

remember penn edgar 3

hope everyone had a good weekend

*kramers in awkwardly on my tiptoes*
I'm trying something new for this fight.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

LobsterMobster posted:

sorry to interrupt a lively and entertaining discussion, but well...

:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren:

PFL 10: World Championships - Friday, November 11

In the Welterweight title bout, we finally get our required dosage of B-League Magomed, as Magomed Magomedkerimov faces “The Swedish Denzel” Sadibou Sy. Magomedkerimov hasn’t lost since he failed to capture the 2021 PFL title, winning five in a row. Sy, on a seven fight win streak of his own, took home the 2022 PFL belt and is looking to go back to back. I feel like I should have made a reference to a Denzel movie, but I’m tired. So very tired.
Let us not just say "Sy took home the 2022 belt" without noting that it was one of the worst fights ever televised.

I am attending the PFL Championship show, I will post pictures. I hope to see Francis Ngannou in person.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Also quitting on the stool after going 'to the death' was pretty drat funny. Penn had some of the most annoying fans as well who viewed him as a shroedinger figure. He was a massive badass for going up in weight to fight Diaz or Rory, but also those losses didn' count because the other guy is too big.

FWIW I think that's true at least about his fight with Lyoto loving enormous by comparison Machida. Lyoto weighed in at 220, and it was somehow kind of competitive until Bloated BJ gassed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LobsterMobster posted:

The prelims start with some guys. Jesse Stirn versus Josh Blyden and Khai Wu versus Phil Caracappa. There are no notable things I can find to say about these four men.

Khai Wu was the guy sparring with Zuck, Commodus style. One of a few leadups to Elon wanting to fight Zuck and also all those fighters getting on Zuck’s implication party boat.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Joey McChrist posted:

i've seen things you people wouldn't believe.. witch doctors in the crowd hexing fighters... boomerangs and quail eggs... the MOTHTAGON... all of these moments lost in time.. like tears in rain.. time to die

Before the Diaz's were mainstream cult and just cult cult remember the time Nick Diaz claimed he missed weight by like 5 pounds because of seawater?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Someone find Duncan's Brazilian national anthem

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dunc, in the long-forgotten past posted:

didn't want to gently caress my wife
had no testes all my life

had it bad, fever, dengue
we cannot roll if you are gay

was too well trained, my knee was sprained
had the flu, was feeling drained

it was not roids, 'twas novodex
off to japan, where they don't test

i hurt my back and my knees too
failed a drug test from barbeque

ccubed