Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pretty sure that BBC America is pretty independent from the BBC proper. The BBC only has like a 50% ownership stake and doesn’t/can’t give them any license fee money. And a lot of their programming has little or no connection to the BBC at this point. If someone else is willing to pay more for Doctor Who rights, they’re not gonna turn them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, the first episode is really good, and obviously has the most historic importance, but the rest of that serial is kind of a slog and probably isn’t worth highlighting in the same way.

What could be interesting if they could manage it, since they’re editing it way down anyway, would’ve been to edit it in such a way that it goes from the first episode of Unearthly Child straight into The Daleks. But obviously the rights issues wouldn’t allow that even if they wanted to.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I'm not sure it's even clear there IS a rights issue, or if the beeb are just being cautious.

I don’t know anything about British copyright law, but I’m guessing the guy at least has enough of a case to make it a headache for the BBC to fight, even if they would end up winning in the end.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The articles main source is apparently saying he was misrepresented.

https://twitter.com/drwhopodcasters/status/1723388160866943358

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t often watch Doctor Who on Pluto, because I don’t want to join in at the middle of some serial, but I definitely stumbled on Remembrance of the Daleks at some point relatively recently.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nick Briggs got an “Additional Dalek Voices” credit. He’s definitely in there.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Should’ve used the wax Tom.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Saw a couple people in a Discord I’m in who watched that episode and didn’t realize Rose was trans. It’s baffling.

Anyway, that episode felt exactly like RTD Who on a bigger budget. Whether that’s good or bad is up to you, but for me that’s a positive. To me, it’s not a standout episode in isolation but was great as a return to form.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

marktheando posted:

the silence … my brain just refuses to store that information.

I mean, yeah, that’s what they do.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I liked last week’s episode because it felt like a nice breath of fresh air after the Chibnall era, but this was just a straight up really good episode.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I didn’t love Chibnall’s first series, but I didn’t hate it either. I actually enjoyed a fair number of those episodes at the time and appreciated that it was a change from Moffat’s version of the show. But Spyfall was a definite turning point for me. It wasn’t the worst episode or anything, but I remember watching it and just feeling nothing.

I kept watching after that out of some misplaced feeling of obligation. My interest never really came back until the new specials.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

A question to fellow Americans - have you seen ANY promotion for Doctor Who this year, either online on on TV? Because I haven’t, which could explain the viewership internationally.

I haven’t really. Word is Disney plans to start up the hype machine with the Christmas special, but I don’t know where that came from originally. There is a certain logic to it though since that’s where Ncuti takes over, and Disney doesn’t have any of the back catalog.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Clouseau posted:

Where are they getting the D+ numbers from, I thought most of that was kept from the public?

In the absence of real numbers direct from the streamers, there are plenty of companies making money coming up with estimates.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I watched the whole flux thing, and it still just sort of slid off my brain. I was surprised when they mentioned that half the universe had been destroyed. If I tried really hard I might have been able to remember that that happened, but if you put a gun to my head I would’ve sworn that The Doctor came up with some way to undo it all at the end.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Wait the next season's already wrapped? Are you telling me we won't have to wait over a year for a whole season? :psyboom:.

Being able to release a series every year was apparently one of RTD’s conditions for coming back.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Weirdly, expanded universe stuff actually did stabilize to calling the Monk a Time Lord, but the Toymaker as a nebulous something else.

The difference I think is that even if they didn’t have the name “Time Lord” yet, The Monk was explicitly stated to be part of the Doctor’s race in the story (he even had his own Tardis), whereas The Toymaker wasn’t.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jassa posted:

I'd still rather have more of that than the low-lows which come with RTD scripts.

At this point it all comes down to taste, because I just can’t agree with this at all. There’s a lot of variability in the quality of RTD’s original run, but during my current rewatch I’ve realize I’d much rather watch RTD’s “bad” episodes than any of the other showrunners’ bad episodes, and with Chibnall’s run I don’t have much desire to even rewatch the episodes I enjoyed.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't been following things super closely but seeing some stuff suggesting the colourisation of The Daleks wasn't a one off?

I think RTD’s suggested he’d love to see all the black and white serials colorized, but I don’t think anything has been specifically announced.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Pretty much nothing in series seven is good to me, unless you count "Day of The Doctor" as part of the season.

I liked series seven way more than series six, but it’s been a decade at this point since I’ve watched either, so maybe I’d feel different watching now. I honestly don’t remember much more than a basic synopsis of most of the episodes, and just a general sense of how they made me feel at the time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My hot take on the question earlier of season-long arcs vs. completely standalone episodes is that either one can be done well, and one being done poorly doesn’t prove that the other is the way to go.

That being said, audiences these days expect some amount of serialization in their TV. The prominence of the story arcs can vary, but realistically you’re not getting a season of completely standalone stories like (most of) classic Who any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The specials have always been longer. I don’t see any reason to assume the normal episodes will be any longer than usual.