Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
BBC America is essentially a franchise. Not really affiliated with the main company, except for use of the name and trademarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Loki S2e05: “It’s not what… it’s Who.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interesting because Ncuti’s first ep is explicitly a Christmas special.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Actual spoilers, it’s called ’The Church on Ruby Road’

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Very good poster for all 3 specials

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lovely interview with Ncuti via GQ.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He wasn’t lucky to get cast as the Doctor, Doctor Who the show was lucky to get him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Children in Need scene! We’re properly back, baby!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1724004190177861829

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mawaan Riswan is a treasure and a delight, so I’m glad he’s in Who. Maybe it’s a bit from a larger thing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

It's the one where the Doctor and Nardole quietly slip out of a room where a bunch of innocent people are about to be horribly killed, isn't it

The Doctor is eating snacks, and lets innocent people get killed, yeah. It ruins an already bad episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I wonder what the actress is up to these days. I haven't seen her in anything since her season ended.

Gosh, by the end Moffat really didn't know what he was doing, did he?

I don’t know, he rallied for his final season by and large.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Clouseau posted:

I like Capaldi's run in its totality, but Bill is just heads and shoulders above so many others, and I wish we got more with her.

:hmmyes:

I loved Bill as a companion and I’m kinda mad Clara stuck around so long. Also, I don’t mind Nardole, but being a comic character he draws focus a lot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Happy birthday to Paul McGann!:toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Paul McGann Time War miniseries with Jacobi as the War Master. They manage to never meet for the entire series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Andor is absolutely worth your time, and you don’t need to know anything but the broad strokes of SW (galactic empire, rebels exist). It’s got not a sniff of Jedi, but is all about fighting fascism. It’s so, so good, and I’m not crazy about SW.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It's the only Star War that even attempted to rise to the current moment.

Broadly, Star Wars has always been about fascists vs. antifascists, but this is the first time anything's really been about about that.

People who love dressing up as the empire and stormtroopers make me feel weird, because they all seem to forget (ignore?) that the empire are fash through and through.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hmm, not crazy about the blue floor on the TARDIS, and then the Dalek city too.

https://twitter.com/dwpages/status/1724676920678257066

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Doctor Who also has been streaming free on Pluto for as long as I can recall - I don't mention it in the OP because FAST channels are hard to put into a box.

It always seems to be the Android Invasion or Revenge of the Cybermen whenever I look at the Pluto channel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McGann posted:

No clue - supposedly, they licensed about 200 episodes. But googling around some reddit threads finds the same experience as we have had - the same ones repeating ad nauseum.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/pluto-tv-doctor-who-classic-uk-antiques-roadshow-1203238753/

I know I've never seen a McCoy episode on there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pandemic time dilation is still a massive factor in our perception of when events occurred. :sigh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

What gets me going ??? is that RTD stated that Liberation of the Daleks, the DWM comic story that went on for all of last year, was the canonical post-regeneration story for Fourteen, and its ending leads directly into this, and here he is talking about canon like ???

(Also Liberation kinda sucked)

Also apparently that whole story happened in an hour?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That’s what it reminded me of. Lower Decks! Being playfully funny with continuity and fan references while still telling a story. Good, liked it. Bring back Mawaan as a companion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I've not watched enough of the classic series to realize that Davros was supposed to be disabled/injured. I thought it was more that he had far exceeded how long he should have lived, and was clinging onto existence through bitterness and embracing all the Dalek tech he could without completely giving himself over to it.

Essentially this, it’s like the emperors throne in 40K, it’s just a life support system keeping everything going when he should have died centuries ago.

I understand the reasons for the change, and it’s nice to see Bleach getting to emote more. That said, it was also Rusty that put John Lumic in a wheelchair in Rise of the Cybermen when he didn’t have to, so this feels like overcompensating to correct that ill.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’ll probably change in the Star Beast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If they wanted to be clever, they could use a small Volume on the inside back of the TARDIS prop, to have an image of the console room moving around in reaction to the camera.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sorry, the Volume is a giant hi def video screen they put backgrounds on, and it reacts to camera movement in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s better for the actors as they can actually see what environment they’re supposed to be in, rather than just green curtains.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Matinee posted:

Its limitations can become very apparent and distracting if it’s over-used (Mandalorian is very guilty of this), but it’s a really great tool when used thoughtfully - the recent The Batman movie used it to great effect.

Tardis interior (to augment more traditional construction/sets) is a perfect use-case for it.

Yes, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds uses it for the engine room set, and it’s great for conveying a sense of ‘this is an incredibly large room’.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Narsham posted:

How many disabled performers have played disabled villains previously in Doctor Who? Is it zero?

Sil, arguably. Played by disabled actor Nabil Shaban, carried everywhere by his two black muscular slaves (Sil, not Shaban*).

*I presume, I don’t know his private life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Both Good Omens and Loki have used Liz Carr without calling any attention to it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TinTower posted:

Surely you mean Trigger? :colbert:

Americans don’t know. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Sil was a legit great villain and it's a shame they haven't brought him back in some form with the new series.

There’s a fan production, maybe you can borrow Jeremy’s copy?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s treading sliiiightly into Grand Moff Tarkin, but I’m ok with that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God I hope so. Lead the kids into compassion and empathy and doing the right thing :gifttank:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Plus the events of both Genesis and the Time War make it impossible to hold straight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chibnall’s wokery is insipidity bland, but sure it’s fine I guess. Rusty’s is militant and I want more!

:sickos:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Happy 60th birthday, Doctor Who! :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

6:30pm GMT, 1:30pm Eastern on D+

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Clip from Saturday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt59CHiFZcA

Podcast trailer…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJeIo9VBwts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Series trailer the BBC have put out narrated by the Doctor… :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_xYubUJFo