Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Welcome back to Russell "Rusty T "The" Davies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

As someone said in one of the many star trek threads recently:

There are two races, white and political

There are two genders, male and political

There are two sexualities, straight and political

And so on

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Capaldi's last series is easily his best. His run should have started there.

It's also Moffat's best series since Smith's first.

Quoting for Truth

I don't want to spoil too much so I'm being indirect here, but: it's not perfect, and it has the apparently DW-requisite mid-season crap episodes, but it's also got 12 at his most actualised, a wonderful companion(s) dynamic, a really nice and fitting set-up, and it ends on an incredibly high note.

It was a huge refreshing breath of fresh air after seasons 8 and 9

Dabir posted:

Shame the DVD set starts with Return of Doctor Mysterio and that his final episode is Twice Upon A Time.

Haha, yes it genuinely is

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 14, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I think I would've really hated Nardole on his own (I have very conflicted feelings about Matt Lucas in general) but he has really good chemistry with Bill and that really makes his character work

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

If nothing else RTD has come out of the gates swinging and provoking discussions (and reactionaries), and that loving owns

I am beginning to suspect I see what he means by calling this season 1 and it being a reboot. It's 2023, it's post-Brexit, the failures of our antediluvian governmental system and social order threw up a rollicking bollocking bullingdon fuckwit to be in charge just in time to make sure the nation was ravaged by covid, Suella Braverman was Actually In Government, no one has any money anymore, nothing works anymore, and no one with any power, anywhere, is offering any solutions. Transphobia Island is going to hell in a hand basket and no-one is willing to talk about it.

In 2005 Rusty brought back Who and brought it up to the standards of the time. Blair's Britain, Pre-Crash Britain, when it still felt like there could be some entente with The Way Things Are Done while being progressive. Change for the better, but keep the old silverware. The Doctor's still a white guy, but now he's at least northern!

That time is over. It collapsed in catastrophe. The Old Ways have hosed us. Failed us utterly. Burn it all down. Year Zero Doctor Who. Gen Zoomer Doctor Who. Ncuti Gatwa Doctor Who. Trans Rights Doctor Who. Disabled Rights Doctor Who.

That's what it is to stay true to the real 'canon' of the show, which is its ethos. Learn. Regenerate. Change.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

One thing I feel is being lost here in the disability discussion is that this is a show for children.

We love it, and we should, but "that's not MY Davros" from a grown-rear end adult matters a hell of a lot less than some kid in a wheelchair or with, say, abundant facial scars, sees their circumstances as a signifier of villainy yet again.

Absolutely. Like I said earlier, DW's true canon is its commitment to Do Better. When it loses that it loses itself

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Creature posted:

That was big dumb emotional fun which is 100% guaranteed to piss off hateful dickheads. I love it.

Yeah this basically

That was a big silly rusty runaround and I never would've thought I'd be glad to see it again but it's been a poo poo thirteen years!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress em

Their time is over

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I think the fact he regenerated with clothes and all might suggest this is some weird inter-state or dream version or some poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yannick_B posted:

Loved it! The metacrisis resolution sort of bothered me, because "we can just let it go" feels like a pretty easy solution because it's presented so quickly BUT that's essentially worrying about something that happened on tv in 2008 so I can understand they're solving it in a very quick way.

It was also a very pointed jab towards males who, er, can't let poo poo go

Like so much with Rusty it made emotional sense, and heck, in this context that's fine, that's plenty

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, I mean, if I put my critical hat on, it was a sloppy mess, as was approx. 60-70% of RTD's output (as in, what he personally wrote, not when he was running the show)

But it's just nice to see a bit of life back in Who's veins, y'know? Chibnall's era was so flat (at least what I saw of it, anyway). And I really did appreciate that RTD came out of the doors swinging at today's prejudices, just like he did back in 2005. And I personally enjoyed the weird mix between "my god, it's 2008 again, I feel young again, this is just like how I remember" and "we've moved on a lot since then (some of us, anyway), and we aren't gonna be subtle about it either"

If it was all like this I wouldn't be so enthused - I do hope we start seeing some genuinely well-crafted stuff. More Midnights, more Blinks, more End of the Worlds, more Human Natures, etc. And I do want to see something new and daring. If this just winds up being a multi-year nostalgia fest, then it will be a massive step back.

But for now, this will do very nicely

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I'm kinda more excited for RTD the show runner than RTD the writer for this reason. His plots do tend to be kinda clunky, but good lord the guy can create really great, really authentic feeling characters and relationships, and the show is historically at it's absolute best when someone who is better that plots then has those characters to play with. And it's not like his plots are bad, just a bit clunky at times.

Like, just the relationship with Sylvia and Donna in this episode. How their relationship has grown and moved on so much since and there's warmth and love but still that little spark of antagonism is still buried in there that they both have to work around, just like most real family relationships usually have that little sore spot you just try to never poke. Moffatt just made all his characters magic orphans so he didn't have to deal with any of that, and I think that was a loss.

Chibnall of course kept throwing middle aged men into the Tardis instead. Write what you know, I guess. The Doctor is real, and she's your friend, and any day now you'll go on adventures together. Keep dreaming the dream mate.

I was wondering going in why a trans woman, who I assume picked her own new name when she transitioned, would have ended up being called Rose. But that's the inherited Metacrisis acting on her subconscious. Nice. Clever piece of foreshadowing, that!

I hope we get more of badass unit science lady and her rocket launcher inspector gadget wheelchair. She owned.

Well said

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I dig Ruby Sunday's theme

EDIT and someone earlier said that they got a great impression of Gatwa in the AAiSaT re-do, and I agree

He hums with Doctor-y-ness

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 25, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I've changed my mind re: the 15th Doctor's theme, it's actully good

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhv5GVexW2E

Some fun!

Bill's been doin' this bit for decades but this is definitely the classiest version

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ignis posted:

From Unleashed

:hmmyes:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

Also as someone who only a couple weeks ago had my own um gender identity revelation, I really liked the stuff towards the end with Donna’s daughter even if it was a little clunky. It was nice.

Love and solidarity :love:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I was very pleased to hear the Doctor's theme again

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

He's so Doctor-y

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Just caught up with the Children in Need special with NuDavros, and while I'm not thrilled with the change, if that's what it takes to keep the Yoof engaged with the show then whatever. But - doesn't "disfigured guy in a wheelchair" also apply to the Daleks themselves? That's literally all they are, congenitally hosed-up little dudes with mobility aids. Are they all going to be normal looking and walking around too?

e: just a guy in shorts wandering around pointing his finger at passersby casually going 'Exterminate"

e2: i did like the punchline with the plunger but ngl i think it would have been funnier coming from oldDavros

Daleks don't look like a disfigured person in a wheelchair. They look like ambulatory bins.

This isn't the equivalence you seem to think it is

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

If we get just like 30 seconds of Eccelston on screen again in the RTD2 era, it will all have been worth it.

I agree but out of all the outre possibilities recently proposed ITT this is by far the least likely

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

elf help book posted:

Spyfall 1 is where Chibnall lost me, and not for any one good reason. Just the slow buildup of disinterest finally crushing it. I very clearly remember watching the car/motorcycle chase scene and thinking "this looks great.... and I don't care"

Haha, I was exactly the same. That was the last episode of Who I watched until Rusty came back. I never even felt tempted to come back to it, it just dropped out of my mind entirely

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I only watched the first series but I struggle to describe 13 at all

She's...nice?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Because they didn't. And before you think I'm being an rear end in a top hat, I actually am going somewhere with this:

The time travel rules of Doctor Who are thus:

1.) You absolutely cannot interfere in your own timeline.

2.)Unless you already did. Then you must.

So, if you are experiencing an event for the very first time and a causal loop future you is involved or intervenes, when present you becomes the future you, you must repeat those events exactly as they happened the first time, now as the other you, Bill and Ted Circle K parking lot style.

I super love it.

On a completely different topic, I've mentioned before that I got into Doctor Who at the 50th when I was losing my father to cancer because there was an awful lot of it and I needed distractions. It was the perfect fit, turned out, because there was so much optimism amid the tragedies.

Then when I was coming to terms with being trans a few years later, they released the next Doctor promo with Jodie Whittaker and I was so jazzed with second-hand gender euphoria that I came out of the closet immediately. Like, not ten minutes later.

As for now, we had a discussion a few weeks back about changing Davros to be less lovely to disabled people and I mentioned that while I am disabled, I don't have a mobility disability and whoops! Now I do. Wheelchair for a year, cane for the rest of my life, and right as I'm coming to terms with this new adventure, The Tardis gets a wheelchair ramp.

It is uncanny how there for me, specifically, Doctor Who has been for the last ten years.

My girlfriend left me at around the time of Doomsday., I took it very hard and was mopey for years (I was a young stupid man). I really identified with Tennant-Doc

Then I decided - in 2010 - to move on. But I didn't really properly move on (because my problems were actually much older and deeper than 'gf left me', I just didn't realise it), and I decided to travel and be manic and charming (I thought) and funny and playful. I was in a seriously intense relationship with a couple, who were a nurse and a redhead named Amy. The three of us did everything together. They had a child lock on the passenger doors of their car, where I used to ride (for their niece) - this led to everyone joking that they were my 'parents'. I'd already had floppy hair for years, though I never went as far as a bowtie

Then in 2014 I started my phd because I decided to 'grow up' and be 'serious', but I was actually having a major identity crisis and was growing angry and bitter and contemptuous and misanthropic as I watched the country and the world get worse and worse. Once I started teaching I started to feel a bit better about things. I'd already been dressing in boots and a crombie coat + hoodie combo for years

Anyway, yeah, I feel ya, it's been uncanny at times

Edit oh, and yeah, after years of intensive therapy and recuperation, I am now a proud uncle with his own mad house, settling down (with the occasional adventure)

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 10, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Good! Never be afraid to have an adventure!

”We all change, when you think about it. We're all different people; all through our lives, and that's okay. That's good, you've got to keep moving. So long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear.”

:love:

If I regenerated back into the Me I'm most comfortable as, it'd be that Me. The one like him

I did find myself a bit resentful re: the last episode that one could quite easily interpret 11, 12 and 13 as a detour before the Doctor became his real/best self again (Tennant), but eh, I get the business reasoning

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OldMemes posted:

I loved it...until the bi-regeneration.

Despite all its flaws, I really like Twice Upon a Twice for how it shows the bittersweet nature of regeneration (that and the Doctor/TARDIS relationship). Regeneration is about change, but it doesn't diminish what you liked about the previous actor, and ties a bow under their version of the character. It felt like it was RTD trying to have his cake and eat it. It feels like how "I don't want to go" undermined Smith for a lot of casual viewers, but on steroids.

Regeneration keeps the Doctor going, but there's a price. It's a traumatic, uncertain and painful process most of the time, which is what gives it dramatic stakes.

Also, the Doctor has had tons of breaks and time to rest? Half their off screen adventures are just them chilling.

Agreed.

I really hope at some point Tennant Doctor gets folded back into Gatwa Doctor. I understand how important it was for the Doctor to come face to face with themself and love themself, but the Doctor is a Person, no matter how exaggerated. They have A life, not two. We don't have two. It loses dramatic cohesion.

And also if they keep using Tennant Doctor then it is, frankly, undermining the first black Doctor. No way around it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Happy 60th page for the 60th anniversary, Who thread!

I might've just griped a bit, but I'm back in love with this mad, silly, heartfelt thing.

Never be cruel, and never be cowardly. Never give up, and never give in. And never, ever eat pears!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, don't get me wrong - Gatwa's Doctor being a fully healed person is wonderful.

Seriously, wonderful. My favourite part of the whole thing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Second black Doctor.

The first was also alongside a white one.

Gatwa is already amazing, but it does suck that for 60 years, one actor passed the baton to another, and suddenly when it's a black actor, we have to have the single most popular white one exist alongside him.

Yeah that's fair, I genuinely forgot Jo

But in my defense, it's because I didn't watch anything by Chibnall after the first season

But mea culpa, wholly

Edit and yes, your last paragraph is absolutely how I feel

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm tired and may be misreading you but if 'the bit that was left to the side' was 11, 12 and 13, then that sucks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I don’t like that read either. However in 30 years time, I get the feeling that Tennant will be held in the same regard as Tom Baker as “everyone’s Doctor”. The Smith-Capaldi-Whittaker run will probably be our version of the Davison-Baker-McCoy era, in terms of cultural memory.

Yeah :smith:

But that's the Passage and Vagaries of Time, and I can live with that. I loved 5, 6 and 7, and I was only actually alive for one of them. And I only truly fell in love with them via audio plays.

But hey, I'm back on board. Doctor Who forever! Run fast, laugh hard, be kind

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

The only people for whom Gatwa has been actually undermined by this were already bad faith bigots looking for excuses not to accepting him.

Thanks no I'm not a loving bigot and I say nothing in bad faith

Captain Fargle posted:

I thought it was nice that The Doctor got to give himself a hug for once. That was very sweet.

Absolutely 100% agreed

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Serious question, and I'm not just being a dick:

Why?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lines posted:

Obviously this is superb in and of itself, but I'm also quite interested in how much this seems to be continuing the "myths becoming true" theme from The Giggle.

As has been speculated, it seems to fit with the logo change. We might be getting something like a repeat of Sly's era - high concept weirdness and (hopefully) sharp criticism of the tories

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The logo is in fact from the 70s, not the 80s. I hang my head in shame

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Silly old Tom

It's actually 'Doctors Who'

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

See, like I said, from my point of view it makes more sense for Ncuti to be underdressed: Tennant's doctor is both literally and metaphorically tightly buttoned up, which is the whole problem that they're emphasising at that moment. Ncuti is free and easy. He's comfortable.

If Tennant's doctor had been in his underwear it wouldn't have been in character for it to go unremarked and leave it, he would've been kinda awkward. But the fact that Ncuti doesn't care gives us a sense of his character. It acts to establish him.

This was my read as well

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'd say McCoy's definitely the one whose actual voice has held up the best, although I think that C.Bakes and McGann are better than him at the actual medium, so to speak.

And yeah, Gatwa is the first doctor younger than me as well, but that's absolutely fine by me. Welcome, even.

Bring on Woke Zoomer Doctor Who - lord knows we need it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Eccleston is a seriously right on dude and it is for that reason he's my favourite doctor of all and it is for that reason also that I fully understand and respect that he won't be the doctor on screen again until and unless the production is also right on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Our boy Chrissy E was on Would I Lie To You tonight

He did pretty good. You can tell he was a bit uncomfortable but he did pretty good