Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Spoilers: it's going to be broadcast on December 25th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
They're just bragging that they didn't use AI to make the poster.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Honestly a good way to watch a lot of the black and white episodes is to just keep watching until you get bored and then skip to the next serial. There's some good stuff in the caveman parts of Unearthly Child, but you're not getting much in Episode 4 that you couldn't have gotten in Episode 2. The Daleks, likewise, has some truly iconic moments but is also interminably long and boring.

It's not like the color episodes don't have downtime and dull stretches, but they weren't making like 50 episodes a year at that point so the stories become quite a bit more focused.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Literally the very next story pairing is Attack of the Cybermen to Vengeance on Varos, which is certainly a strong contender.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CobiWann posted:

I asked a friend...

Drop in quality - Twice Upon A Time to The Woman Who Fell to Earth. Nothing against Jodie, everything against Chibnall.

Rise in quality - Inferno to Terror of the Autons. Inferno could have been told in half the time and the monster was weak.

I hate Chibnall but The Woman Who Fell to Earth isn't a terrible start. There's never a moment when Thirteen falls off a cliff, it's just a consistent steep decline.

I'll line up to kick Inferno, it's not a terrible story but it's way too long and easily the weakest story of the season.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm sorry, but that's going to be The Ambassadors...

(*twanng*)

OF DEATH

I said the weakest episode of the season, not the strongest!

lines posted:

The thing is I don't think Thirteen is a consistent decline episode-to-episode, in that there are individual episodes which are better than the last one! But the baseline is just constantly dropping so that you get yourself in the indignity I was in of trying to convince myself that any part of Flux was good. It was like being a boiling frog.

It's going to be weird when RTD's Who is like, mid, but mid-RTD is just so much better than Chibnall on a good day that it'll seem like the best poo poo ever.

This is true, I should have said the trend line is a sharp decline while the individual episodes are more noisy.

There was just a baseline level of competence the show had under RTD and Moffat where you might have one disaster of an episode of a season, but bad episodes were still generally competent pieces of television. Glancing over Series 2 for a moment, which I'd consider the weakest series of the revival, I'd watch about 6 or 7 episodes out of 14 in a rewatch. There's maybe 2 or 3 episodes total of Chibnall era stuff that I'd considering watching again, and at that point I'd just not bother and pretend that Capaldi regenerated into the Fugitive Doctor and had a bunch of neat adventures offscreen before turning into David Tennant again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fil5000 posted:

There's already an amnesty on any lost footage handed over so there's some bullshit going on here.

Also, surely there is a statute of limitations on petty theft from 40 years ago. The article mentions some guy being arrested for video piracy, but that was in the 1970s, nobody's being spooked by that now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Khanstant posted:

Okay I think Pandorica is the episode where I'm officially tired of the Doctor making intimidation rolls based on reputation. Not clever, not cute anymore, also the Doctor is pretty easy to kill like it happens every couple seasons, take your shot! edit: ok yeah I forgot it was a trap

Look the last time a Dalek rolled up and just shot the Doctor he split into two different guys, anybody would be a little gun-shy after that

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I love Andor as much as the next guy (maybe more!) but Doctor Who's strength is that it inherently has to grapple with politics in a way that a lot of non-Andor stuff is content to sidestep. The basic premise of the show is an outsider and usually some more contemporary characters step into a world that is different from and yet alike to our own in key ways, and large parts of the story flow naturally from those differences. Various sci-fi menaces lend themselves extremely well to metaphors that even inept writers can manage. The Rebel Flesh / The Also People, for example, got brought up recently and while I don't think it's a very good episode, it has to try and engage with the idea of what it means to be human just by virtue of its premise.

Now if you want Andor's influence on DW to be More Good Writers and Good Actors and Good Music and Also There's More of It, I'm in total agreement.

EDIT: Regarding Imperial cosplay, the idea does kind of make me uncomfortable but I do think that for most people it's kind of harmless. The costumes are clearly inspired by Nazi Germany, especially the officer uniforms, and Nazi uniforms were specifically designed to make the people who wore them look cool and badass (somehow Hugo Boss still exists). So if you're dressed as a stormtrooper you are at least a level removed from actual fascist regalia, in the same way that Daleks are not hate symbols because they don't actually exist.

Hmm, if only there were a story about our tendency to uphold scary fascist monsters as silly enemies and how it could poison our psyches...

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 15, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Not a big fan of colorizations in general, but I think those pictures look pretty similar to the movie version. It's a little garish but that’s what it would have looked like at the time.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I am cool with ditching the nastier elements of the Davros design, but I'd like there to be something there to bridge the gap to the new design. He could still be rocking the metal glove or have that proto-Dalek third eye headdress without him being blind (although he wasn't blind in The Witch's Familiar, his eyes were just kind of... atrophied?).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Veotax posted:

It's a fancy green screen, if you want to be really reductive.

It can let you do a bunch of stuff that cuts down on post-production (though it adds a ton of pre-production, as you need to have CG environments ready to go on set), and it'll light the set too, so you don't have to worry about matching the lighting to the CG environment. Since it's a bunch of screens it'll just throw light at the actors. Look at about 40 seconds in the above video for a good example.

The biggest criticism I have of it after seeing its use in Star Wars stuff is that a whole lot of scenes start being set in round rooms about 25 feet across... which is not an issue if it's going to be used for the TARDIS interior.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Here's another frustration I have with it: instead of acknowledging that Davros should have gone to a wheelchair user (or, let's be fair here, a vision impaired actor) we're now facing a situation where Davros will continue to be played by an non-disabled actor.

Additionally, Davies is essentially making the argument that villains should only be played by non-disabled actors, so to avoid the association of disability with evil. Which sucks if the intention is to open up greater opportunities for wheelchair users, the vision impaired, etc.

Speaking as someone who's losing his sight ("My vision is impaired, I cannot see." har har) playing a villain is loving great, and people like me should have the opportunity to do so in ways that are meaningful to us and our lived experience.

That's a good point about limiting the potential roles of disabled actors, but the solution to that, I think, is just to cast more of them (I do not think DW will do this) so that your sole disabled actor isn't playing a bad guy whose inhumanity is visually represented by his disability. It's not so much about Davros (and Lumic, good example) being bad guys who are in sort-of-wheelchairs, it's that their disability is being used as a way to dehumanize them and make them into people who could create monsters like the Daleks or Cybermen.

(I was about to type "it would be different if Davros was Black instead of disabled...", but making your Nazi race scientist a Black character is its own can of worms, so let's use Lumic instead.) If you cast, say, 2006 walking about Idris Elba as Lumic instead of the Harry Potter guy, you've got a bad guy played by a Black actor whose race is unconnected to their badness.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I wasn't sure whether or not to bring up Sil, but casting little people as aliens or fantasy creatures in heavy makeup, instead of just little people, is its own whole big thing. Guys like Warwick Davis certainly make bank off of it, but it was also nice when they cast him as just A Guy in that one Cyberman episode, even if it the episode wasn't very good.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In terms of "disfigurement = evil", there's a bit from Malcolm Hulke's novelization of Invasion of the Dinosaurs, where Sarah Jane is being locked up by a bad guy with a big scar on his face, and she cruelly mocks him, asking if he got it in a knife fight or something; and he quietly replies that no, he used to be a firefighter and got it when he had to climb through a broken glass window to rescue a child from a burning house. I always thought that it was a shame that never made it on TV in the original episode, as it would've been a pretty good lesson for kids to not judge people by appearances.

Speaking of, there is of course Galaxy 4 from the First Doctor's era, where the monstrous-looking beings are actually kind and helpful, while the "normal" beautiful beings are ruthless and willing to kill everyone else to save themselves.

It's always neat when you get little bits of backstory or hints of dissension within the ranks of henchmen or between competing bad guys.

Davros1 posted:

Shaban has mentioned in interviews that his agent originally rejected the role for him, feeling that it was just "a monster" part, but when Shaban read the script himself, he saw the richness of the character and told his agent to get him that part, since he wouldn't ever be offered to play a character like that.

And when we did see another member of Sil's species, he was played a "normal" height (albeit shorter than average) Christopher Ryan.

I did not know that, that's really cool.

This conversation brings to mind Lawrence Miles trying to make the Ogrons less problematic in Interference (I think the design is just a bridge too far, but he gives it his best shot). He has K-9 tell Sarah Jane that he's picking up additional subsonic frequencies in the Ogrons' speech that don't get heard by human ears so they just sound like cavemen, and there's this bit that I do quite of an Ogron being quite cool (his name is Lost Boy):

quote:

Lost Boy didn’t understand any of this. So he just grunted. ‘Don’t want girl. Want woman.’

The woman stopped backing away. ‘You want me? You came here just for me?’

‘Followed you. Found your machine.’

‘My…?’ The woman’s eyes opened even wider. Lost Boy wasn’t sure whether they were supposed to do that. ‘The Land Rover? The, um, vehicle?’

‘Used Remote’s computer. Stole records from…’ Lost Boy rolled the words around his head for a few moments before he said them out loud. ‘…Vehicle Registry Office. Followed you. From your house. Followed you here.’

‘You can’t have done! We’d have seen you –’

Lost Boy proudly puffed out his chest. ‘Prize tracker. Won many skins, for following. Never been seen.’

‘But you’re an Ogron! And this is London, for heaven’s sake!’

‘Prize tracker.’

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It sounds good until you change what he's saying and the context of what's happening

I'm glad you picked up on this, because I read that bit and went, "wait, what the gently caress?" but there were already a lot of posts afterwards and and I felt hesitant about trying to dredge it back up.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's more true than false, tbh - much modern racism has its roots in slavery, the attempt to justify it morally by defining black africans as sub-human.

I'd personally argue that showing a multicultural society and not drawing attention to it is not saying that this is how the world is and it's not inherently a glorification of current society. Why can't it be aspirational, why can't it be a part of bringing that society about by showing it as normal? Star Trek didn't make a song and dance about Nichols being a regular member of the bridge crew in the 60s, for example.

Two distinct and very good points. Medieval Britain was probably not chock full of people of color, but nor was it lily-white, either. People moved around a lot more than you might expect. I'm a lot more familiar with Rome than Britain (and obviously Rome was closer to areas with Black people) but we've found the skeleton of a Japanese man buried in a Roman graveyard. And the Roman Empire, while xenophobic in other ways, didn't make much of a big deal about skin color. If you were a Roman citizen, you were a-ok, and if you weren't you could piss off.

...and even if that wasn't the case, the fact is is that modern Britain is a diverse country with lots of different people and refusing to cast those people in an episode set in the past is depriving them of potential jobs, and it ought to be okay to bend history a little bit in the same way that it's okay to bend history by having them speak modern English.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Heard they're doing a remake of Rip Van Winkle where he gets woke at the end

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yannick_B posted:

Conveying a HUGE amount of character and backstory in like 3-4 lines, RTD IS BACK BAYBEEE

It's insane how much better the writing is from just one isolated scene, I already know more about Rose as a character than any of the main cast from the past few series. And I've never been one to push for DW needing the best visual effects... but the Meep looks amazing. I think they're doing some CGI work to manipulate the mouth, but if you told me it was a puppet I'd believe you.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I remember at the time they said it was the intention to reshoot that scene with the current Doctor, did they ever end up doing it with Capaldi or Whitaker?

You should get a dropdown menu when you play the episode if you want Smith, Gatwa, or a cardboard cutout of Tom Baker.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I didn't realize they were re-editing it, too. Sounds like it wasn't a particularly great execution, but The Daleks is probably one of the serials that could benefit most from a shorter runtime.

It's difficult because you're restricted to the existing footage, but re-editing old serials is an idea that appeals to me. I've always thought they should lean into the whole lost episodes thing and cut down on the runtime by popping up a title card that says THE DOCTOR and LEELA try and fail to escape. Bam, 5 minutes gone.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, I thought it was a decent but not great episode (however, all hail the Meep!). It's a bit sloppy, a bit too pat in the resolution, and gets kind of clunky. It's the kind of thing that characterized a lot of the Russell T. Davies era. It wasn't a brilliant episode, but it had several great moments that helped carry it. The episode's biggest strength is that after Chibnall and even most of Moffat, this is such an enormous step up.

I think when it was announced that Davies was coming back I said something like, "His highs were rarely as high as the show could be, but his lows were never that low." And that's where this fell for me: good Doctor Who but not an all-time classic.

Genuinely love the Meep, though. Fantastic design in both forms.

Yeah this is basically where I'm at. It's such a gigantic improvement from Chibnall that it's easy to forget that the shootout scene in the middle takes way too long. It's a pretty good episode, which means it's the best DW episode in 5 years.

It's cool that immediately following the discussion around Davros we immediately get an actor in a wheelchair, and of course the second (?) trans actor we've ever had. Rose is great, it's a shame it looks like she's not in the next one based on the TARDIS loving off. I hope she's back for third special.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I don’t like the breathy acapella over the end theme. Nope, no thank you:

Insane decision, like literally what the gently caress.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It was lovely seeing Pat Mills and Dave Gibbons on the set for this, and I'm assuming they got checks for this too (because of the writing credits), which is a nice change from the way Disney treats the other comics they adapt.

I do really like the new TARDIS, it looks like the new series doing a take on the very first console room in a way that's very satisfying. Also I wasn't quite sure in the episode itself, but seeing the scene again in the behind-the-scenes Donna just transparently throws her coffee onto the console to trigger an adventure. :allears:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Vinylshadow posted:

Pocket change for bus fare, some lint, ...ooh, a stick of gum

That's enough for twenty episodes, right?

I take back what I said about the Volume working well

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Infinitum posted:

I thought the binary/non-binary bit was a little eye rolly, but it was dumb fun weird instead of dumb bad weird - so who loving cares. RTD back babyyy.

Rose actress was real good though. Didn't understand why she didn't get a whirl in the TARDIS? But also Doctor Donna is back :3:

It was extremely eye-rolly (at least to me, a straight person) but it felt earnest, and as other have pointed out it feels very much like a needed gently caress you to anybody jumping back on because it's not NURSE WHO anymore.

Although if I'm being honest, the character arc here basically obviates any need to actually watch any of Whitaker's run, as Capaldi getting back his memories of Clara makes a great motivation for him to regenerate into 2ennant and undo the awful poo poo he did to Donna.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think RTD has enough TV sense to not dive too deeply into the past. The was the odd TENNANT IN SPACE intro that set up the stakes of the whole Donna situation, but that stuff was also brought up a couple times in the episode itself, so I'm guessing the intro was a later addition just to make sure that people who didn't remember TV from 15 years ago knew what was going on. If that's what's getting a "previously on..." I doubt we're doing much more.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Disney deal sounds awful, though I'm wondering if there's some kind of distinction between TV reruns and streams. Even after the WGA strike I expect streaming companies to be extremely cagey and sneaky with their stream numbers, so even if the terms are bad the writers still probably aren't losing out on much money. If they're also not getting any residuals from reruns, though, that's really bad.

On the subject of Doctor Who as pure sci-fi, as someone who's not watched much Star Trek I always thought The Mutants was a very Trek-esque story in terms of feeling more like golden-age SF.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The article mentions that the terms aren't related to the strike per the reasons that you said, but I would have thought that since Disney's beholden to the new WGA contract that they would have had to share streaming data regardless. It's a moot point though if they're cut out of residuals though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zaroff posted:

Tennant has said in the behind the scenes show that he doesn’t know who the Boss is, so the presumption is that he’s either lying or it’s something carrying over into Gatwa’s era.

Okay, I knew I had read something to that effect but couldn't remember where, it was really bugging me. So we're not talking the Occidental Toymaker, any bets on which classic series baddie we're bringing back? Personally I'm hoping for the Vardans, let's turn this into a show for five people.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's definitely riffing on Midnight but also distinct enough that it doesn't feel like trying to remake the episode. There's something very Chat-GPT about the creatures, at least until they get actually good at mimicking the Doctor and Donna. Things like forgetting that the tie one of them removed is supposed to exists after it's been taken off, or being badgered into believing the superstition about salt.

Having not watched Flux I figured people talking about half the universe being destroyed were just being slightly uncharitable (he deserves it though) to Chibnall, and lmao that that's actually a thing he did and just never followed up on? Christ, what a trainwreck. Good on RTD for bothering to go back and actually wring some story out of that, then.

The initial cut where the imposter beasts first come into play was really odd, going from Tennant standing over the orange cabinet to peering through the blue shelves, and I went back and rewatched it because it felt like I had missed something, but then of course you learn a couple minutes later it's purposely disorienting and jarring. That, plus the scene last week with the laser blasts bouncing harmlessly off the car turning out to be a plot point, makes this feel like a show that actively rewards paying attention, is not afraid to mess with a viewer's expectation, and basically is not designed to be CGI wallpaper like some eras that I could mention.

I was going to say last week that if Star Beast was the floor for this era we're in for a treat, and even if it was the ceiling it's at least better than anything we've had for the past few years. But if Wild Blue Yonder is the ceiling we're in for a helluva ride.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I definitely got a Moffat vibe at first as well, though; however I think Moffat's scary stuff tends to be the very familiar and RTD's tends towards the mysterious and unknowable.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah OK I should have said "it would be excellent if it were a straight historical but instead you have to ignore the sci fi bit because it's bad"

And Ka-blam has a worse message than Orphan 55, for sure. Orphan 55 is a terrible piece of television regardless of the message it's trying to convey, it's like Bill Baggs was asked to put something together for the show using his normal budgets.

Of the bits of Series 12 that I did watch, Orphan 55 was easily the second-least bad; I honestly don't get how an episode that is only 31% dogshit by volume has become the punching bad when Spyfall is right there.

Ker-blam, despite its politics, is still probably the second-best episode of its series, and it's competent in terms of story in a way that no other episode of Whitaker's I saw was. And really, is it that out of line with the rest of the era? There's a terminal amount of enlightened centrism present in basically every episode. "Would kicking this maniacal, murderous Dalek out into space just make me as bad as it is?" angsts the Doctor. She can't do anything to stop the Trump analogue because she would be stooping to his level. She chastises Graham for wanting to kill the creature who killed his wife and is also a mass murderer. The triumphant climax of an episode is a white woman turning over a brown man to the Nazis because he deserves it, the race traitor. Hell, Ker-blam's message basically boils down to, "Amazon is awesome, but maybe they go a little bit too far sometimes?" which is a line in a speech Joe Biden will give within one month of this post. By that standard, it's positively left of center for the Chibnall era.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It says it's the 61st most watched "movie," I'm not using D+ but presumably you can sort by popularity on the app, it just won't give you any hard numbers.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's fitting that the story with the heated gamer moment is the one that looks like it was animated in Fortnite.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HD DAD posted:

Chibs falling out with people due to poor script quality

Weird, you'd think they could find some common ground there

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yannick_B posted:

According to the original podcast & the in-vision commentary, Russell T Davies offers that not only the 14th Doctor bigenerated but EVERY other Doctor did in some sort of time-loop, explaining that the older 5,6 and 7th Doctors from Tales of The Tardis are all bi-generated Doctors. Now that is fanwanking I can get behind.

Bi-generation is absurd and I think it's really silly there's just another Tennant and TARDIS out there (the second TARDIS is really pushing it!) but I do love RTD going full fanwank on the idea. I suppose the original Ten-2 was just a pre-manifestation of that then? And the Curator as well? And David Bradley oh god how deep does this rabbithole go

I was really skeptical of using the Toymaker at all based on his racist origins, but goddamn, making the Toymaker canonically racist is actually a pretty clever way of squaring that circle. And NPH is frightening enough that, yeah, fine, you did it.

EDIT: There was so much going on in this episode that I forgot it opened with the Toymaker creating a memetic virus to turn everybody into sovereign citizens.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 9, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LividLiquid posted:

I miss Osgood too. :(

I enjoyed it when she showed up but I'm pretty happy with where we left her. When she first shows up she's a fun Doctor fangirl, appropriate for the 50th anniversary. That gives us a named character that we like to be killed cruelly and callously by Missy. And then the last time we see her she's still got a fascination with the Doctor, but she's also got her own thing that's more important. It's a nice, solid character arc and she gets a better resolution than most of the people in proximity to the Doctor.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PriorMarcus posted:

Also she might be a Zygon.

Well that's alright then!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

lines posted:

I thought it was a fantastically barbed skewer of the Moffat era, followed by a sort of "??? The flux???" to summarise Chibnall's time, which, fair, yeah.

It honestly felt like RTD knowing Moffat's a good enough writer to take it (also I'm reminded of Moffat doing a similar thing to RTD's companions in Let's Kill Hitler), while he treated Chibnall with kid gloves by just following up on the Flux point instead of trying to gently mock him, too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Astroman posted:

One could also point out that NPH putting on a hammy German stereotype accent is it's own form of problematic (imagine if if he was doing an Apu one the same way?).

https://twitter.com/chlocialism/status/1416115334872981514

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
AFAIK celestial is a really old-timey slur and 99% of the time it refers to space. It's just that when you look at the costume that Michael Gough is wearing and listen to the way he's talking it's clear that somebody is pulling a joke by having it mean that the Toymaker is both from the stars and Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mr.Radar posted:

I've been getting those kinds of videos in my recommendations since I started watching Doctor Who content after The Star Beast came out despite having tuned the algorithm pretty well through careful pruning of my watch history so it doesn't usually recommend that kind of poo poo to me.

I basically only use YouTube to listen to albums by 70s Japanese singer-songwriters, and I got recommended that DW IS COMING FOR YOUR KIDS?!?! one immediately after watching that trolly RTD clip that got posted in this thread. The algorithm just loves people complaining about The Woke Agenda.