Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I remain baffled at people who like Doctor Who (and indeed Star Trek) who get angry at progressive politics. What on earth are they finding in the show to enjoy?
I used to wonder this about Star Trek, but the franchise is about boldly going where no one has gone before, finding people already there, telling them their ways are bad and wrong, loving up their entire society in a day or two, then loving off and never following up.

That's some conservative-rear end poo poo, and Doctor Who occasionally does this too.

But to your point, mostly it's because conservates are as bad at media literacy as they are at sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They were right pretty much most of the time, but it's still a very conservative mindset dressed up with a military structure of command.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh give me a break already. This is such a deliberately hostile misreading of the entire franchise.
It's not my reading, yo. It's theirs. It's a vibe that resonates with the truly awful, even if they could never in a million years comprehend that that's why they like it.

But the rest just don't understand media on any level whatsoever beyond "things happened in it and I liked watching them happen."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Do y'all seriously not get that when I'm explaining why conservatives would like a thing, I'm not talking about myself?

Because I'm literally a trans communist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“Conservative dipshits like Star Trek because it secretly has conservative overtones"
Okay, I'm going to try this one more time:

"Why do conservatives like Star Trek?"

Because if they squint really hard and ignore most of the rest of it, there are bits that appear conform to their dogshit worldview.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You don’t get to post like a condescending rear end
I'm not, friend-o. When people respond in ways out of step with what I feel I've tried to say, I usually assume I've hosed up and rephrase my post to closer align to what I believe, attempting to remove colorful metaphors and hyperbole or replacing them with ones I hope are clearer, but often when I do this, people assume I think they're idiots who can't understand my very simple point or whatever.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's lividliquid. She's just really angry all the time.
I'm really not. I just speak in ways average people have difficulty parsing and have an angry avatar.

Funny thing about that: years ago, I changed it to a happy face in the glass of water and people responded to me very, very differently.

Sometimes I do get frustrated when these miscommunications happen, though, because I feel like I'm being very clear and it's impossible to tell who just needs further clarification, who understands just fine but disagrees, and who's performatively misunderstanding me to win an argument and if I get to the point that I think it's the latter, I will take the gloves off from time to time.

McGann posted:

Let me just say as an outside observer, this did look a lot like people misread the intent of the original post. Which was better phrased above by Senator Tron.
Much better. I agree completely. I think my point would've landed a lot better if I compared it to the two different types of Mad Men fans.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

gently caress the rich.

Wait. That idiom is too ambiguous.

Nobody ever gently caress anybody who's rich.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Andor is absolutely worth your time, and you don’t need to know anything but the broad strokes of SW (galactic empire, rebels exist). It’s got not a sniff of Jedi, but is all about fighting fascism. It’s so, so good, and I’m not crazy about SW.
It's the only Star War that even attempted to rise to the current moment.

Broadly, Star Wars has always been about fascists vs. antifascists, but this is the first time anything's really been about about that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

People who love dressing up as the empire and stormtroopers make me feel weird, because they all seem to forget (ignore?) that the empire are fash through and through.
I was early on in my transition at a con when had to spend a very tense elevator ride wondering if the person with whom I was now trapped and alone was dressed as a space nazi because he liked Star Wars, or because he liked Star Wars and relished the opportunity to let his fash flag fly in public.

Because sadly, that's a thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it’s extremely silly to get into an elevator with a cosplayer and suddenly worry whether or not they’re a literal fascist, but that’s just me.
Friend-o, every time I leave the house I have to wonder if today's the day I don't come back. I have to assess the level of danger every time I enter a room or interact with a stranger.

Trans people are a huge target right now. I didn't think, "this guy's definitely a nazi." I just prepared for the possibility that he might be.

Women have to wonder how much danger we're in every time we're alone with a man. This man was dressed as a nazi and I'm trans. It makes that worse.

McGann posted:

While I agree on principle that it's silly and ridiculous and I hate that we're here...but given LividLiquid's statement that they were early in transition, and the current state of American (I assume based on this story, but we're leeching our poison out into the world at an alarming rate here too..) politics made TOTAL sense to me. Any person in transition is going to be HYPER AWARE of any potential threats - and fascist sympathizers are a huge threat lately, unfortunately. So any potential dog whistle is just a bomb that may or may not be armed, basically
Exactly this, yes. Thank you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My genuine apologies then, I hadn’t considered that perspective.
This so rarely happens on this here internet. From anybody to anybody else. Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart, and good on ya'.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is Tubi one of the free ones?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

McGann posted:

This is the downside, it always plays the same drat episodes the same time every day it seems. I believe Plex does the same.
So do they only have the rights to a handful of them? Why would they repeat every day?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm disabled and I super appreciate it.

Not mobility disabled mind, but there's solidary there and normalizing this kind of thing is good for everybody.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

lines posted:

It seems like a good change. The comments on YouTube there seem to hate it though so I worry it'll become a canard to criticise RTD's work with, "he's making the show too PC" or that kinda thing. Not that I don't think he or the show can weather it, it's just annoying. But gently caress 'em!
For real. Those people would poo poo on the show for being too PC for having a woman in it. Their culture war is a recruiting tactic. They find fandoms that won't kick them out, nest there, and spread their mind-poisoned far right bigotry to grow their numbers and far too many of them are Youtube reactionaries whose job is to be outraged and whiny all the time.

So if those people will poo poo on anything for the crime of, like, having a woman in it, you might as well go for broke. In for a penny, in for a pound.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One thing I feel is being lost here in the disability discussion is that this is a show for children.

We love it, and we should, but "that's not MY Davros" from a grown-rear end adult matters a hell of a lot less than some kid in a wheelchair or with, say, abundant facial scars, sees their circumstances as a signifier of villainy yet again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Canon in fiction is a dumb concept anyway. It only exists for people to get bent out of shape about, and for concepts of commercial ownership of settings.
Every story needs to have a baseline of consistency or nothing matters. It can break its own rules, but it can't just not set them up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

That's not true. There are countless storytelling modes where rigid conceptions of plot are not particularly important.
I didn't say rigid.

If something huge happens in the first act, you don't just pretend it didn't by the third because whatever, who cares, that was an hour ago. We've all moved on. You write your way out of it.

Sometimes wriggling out of this is as easy as "they are Klingons. And it is a long story." I'm not asking for everybody to stop dead in their tracks to explain why some minor thing from 40 years ago isn't matching up exactly right, but if it's a big enough part of the story, you can't just pretend it isn't.

This stuff absolutely matters. It just shouldn't be so strictly adhered to that it becomes a problem in the other direction.

You can ignore the Timeless Children, but you can't ignore everything The Doctor has ever done so hard that you tell the viewer that nothing they're seeing now will ever matter. There needs to be some sense that the things we see happen mean something to these people or why the hell would I ever bother getting invested?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If a companion dies in one episode and is walking around like nothing happened in the next, because canon "doesn't matter," why would I give a poo poo about anything?

Is that clearer?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That example was deliberately paired down to the most simplistic version of what canon is to help better explain why I think it matters, and I'm getting the sense that I'm not gonna' be understood here, but I'll try one more time.

You can bend it all you want, but you can't break it too often or nothing ever matters.

You might as well have an anthology show at that point. The canon is there for a reason and is a part of why we all love the show.

It's a tool. One that when used properly makes viewers far more invested in a show. If everything for the last 60 years has mattered, it follows that everything for the next 60 will too, so I'd better pay attention and can allow myself to get invested.

And once you have that, the little stuff — or even the occasional huge, then-igored misstep like half human on my mother's side — don't matter.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ignorant poo poo
Buddy, you definitely don't want to get into this with me and this thread is usually very nice and doesn't deserve to have to witness me to doing my thing again.

I'm an insufferable SJW and you're terribly ignorant. Have more empathy and listen to more and different people. End of argument.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

Back to being the Last of the Timelords, but being the Timeless Child can gently caress off. Good video.
I will be fine with the Timeless Child if it turns out to have actually been The Master, as somebody here suggested.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

The best use of the premise would be to use it as an excuse to be able to get any actor in for a single story where they get to be the Doctor, like Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne, or David Morrissey
Wait. What? Like, a pre-Hartnell doc like Martin was?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I somehow thought this was happening tomorrow, woke up to a bunch of Youtube notifications about transphobia, got sad, and now it's aaaaaaaaaall great again! :dance:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Watching Unleashed, and Tennant and Tate are having the time of their lives, it's fantastic.
Guessing this isn't available in the states. :(

I was expecting more from the 60th than just another Who episode, but nothing was ever going to match the 50th, it tied off a really gross loose end in a great way, and gave the finger to transphobes, so I'm going to enjoy this a hell of a lot more when I rewatch it with appropriately adjusted expectations.

It was really great.

The_Doctor posted:

I love that even with a small clip and a trailer, we still know nothing about the next ep. :allears:
Is this available anywhere? Disney+ didn't play it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ah ok cause the Matt Smith years had that dumb intro in the United States.
I quite like that.

"And we've been running ever since."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlCddFeFjQ

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I totally forgot about this.
Unsurprising. They didn't do it for the whole run. Just enough to get new viewers on board.

If it was longer, it would've bothered me, but it felt very much like "theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the quantum leap accelerator... and vanished! :aaaaa:"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pops Mgee posted:

Absolutely loved that. Vibes were immaculate after being off for the almost the entire Chibnall run. Whittaker deserved a better showrunner. RTD Tennant and Tate haven’t missed a step. Also as someone who only a couple weeks ago had my own um gender identity revelation, I really liked the stuff towards the end with Donna’s daughter even if it was a little clunky. It was nice.
One of us! One of us!

Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, we just had a fangirl CSO with Osgood and she was great for her first appearance and then absolutely awful afterwards.
I still love Osgood. :shrug:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

As iconic as it is, the TARDIS only matters in so much as it's how the heroes get to The Place.
This is something that actually makes me sad sometimes. It's The Doctor's home. It should be treated as something more than their car.

It's why the movie TARDIS and 12's are my favorite. They look cozy. Lived-in. A place where you read books and drink tea.

Harlock posted:

Every season requires a Tardis bottle episode to stretch the budget for more content
Every season requires a TARDIS bottle episode because it's a rad location we don't explore nearly enough!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was an absolutely fabulous episode. Bordering on classic, had the ideas not already been explored a few times in the show.

I don't want to complain about having new, great Doctor Who, but does anybody else feel kind of disappointed that for the 60th anniversary, we're just sort of... getting new, great Doctor Who?

The last episode resolved the gross Donna issue — again, really, and properly this time. Twelve mind-wiping himself instead of Clara last time felt like a sort of resolution of that problem — and that was very nice, but it felt a little tacked onto a completely normal, though really great, episode of the show.

There's still time. We've got one more special to go. But Day of the Doctor set a really high bar, and the precedent seemed to be that big anniversaries are for multi-doctor stories, and that's what I was expecting.

But to wrap back around to a positive note, we're getting fantastic new episodes and that is certainly more important than lore stuff and gimmicks.

But I wants me some lore stuff and gimmicks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comparison, but I don't think the Tenth Doctor mindwiping himself would have helped prevent Donna's death at all.
You had, but I speak in ways that often confounds others.

What I meant was that it seemed like he regretted having to mindwipe Donna, so the next the gross "I have to violate you to save you" trope came up in the writing, The Doctor handled it differently. He included himself in the 50/50 shot.

It would've meant more if twelve just wiped himself without the coin flip, but it still felt like something of a resolution of said violation because he clearly still regretted having to do it to Donna.

So it's nice they went back and undid it. It's been a pebble in my shoe since I first saw it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tbh I don't find the Donna mindwipe to be that gross. Her brain was cooking so hard she couldn't finish a sentence, and had maybe a minute to live. You can't consent to die in that kind of situation. What the Doctor did was an emergency triage.
A writer invented that crisis. A writer came up with a really gross solution to the crisis they'd made up.

I respect that it didn't bother you, but I found it to be yet another example of a troublesome and oft-repeated writing device of a man having to violate a woman to save her. Even all the way back to the trop of slapping a "hysterical" woman to calm her down "for her own good," it has permeated fiction for ages, and I'm quite glad we have grown enough as a culture that many fiction writers and producers who have engaged in that sort of thing have realized why it's not something they should be doing.

It's a very good thing that they got the opportunity to undo it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, I must have created a mind block but I completely forgot what the gently caress happened during Flux and Timeless Child.
That wasn't you. That's just the effect of Chibnall's 'Who.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

McGann posted:

Wow. Thank you for pointing this out, I have never made the connection before but it makes perfect sense now that you've made the point. I really do appreciate your input in this thread, fwiw
Aww! Thank you! :glomp: And thank you for being rad about it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

'annoyed me' is a weird way to spell 'was rad as gently caress'.

I think trying to make Capaldi into the second coming of Pertwee like Moffat was trying early on was jamming a square peg into a round hole. The whole 'uni lecturer who stayed up until 4am at the student union doing mushrooms and jamming on his guitar' vibe fit him way better.
I liked both, but vastly improved the latter. He *really* came into his own in his second season. Riding a tank into an axe fight playing a bitchin' solo. Aging rock star fit twelve so well it's hard to imagine why they even tried anything else.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"Anyone for Dodgems?" is one of the greatest Doctor entrances ever put to screen.
Also true!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Clouseau posted:

There's people who hate this. I am not among them.

Tbh, I find Capaldi such a charismatic presence he can do whatever fourth wall breaking insanity he wants, it doesn't matter to me.
Spot on.

It's an overused expression, but I'd watch twelve read the phone book provided he got to say something about every name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TL posted:

To me, the absolute low point of NuWho was the Doctor saying it was wrong to put kids suffering with mental health issues on medication. Anything and everything they’ve done poorly pales compared to that.
That poo poo was like 3 Garden States.

It was completely hosed and I'm still angry about it.