Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I got Disney+ was this intro shown on the BBC or does Disney assume we're stupid Americans who have never watched the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dabir posted:

The intro with Fourteen and Donna recapping the important bits from fifteen years ago? That was there on the BBC.

Ah ok cause the Matt Smith years had that dumb intro in the United States.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HD DAD posted:

He’s the “please watch Doctor Who again” Doctor

yah and they're doing a real good job of it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

On a related but very positive note, having reflected, I actually really like the whole sequence of the Noble women at home. It's just a very tight bit of writing in microcosm of showing contrasting aspects of a family supporting this young woman. From Donna going full mama bear on the lovely transphobic classmates deadnaming Rose in the street, to her own monologue about how an unexpected avenue of a child coming into her own is what every parent hopes for, to Sylvia being well-meaning but a bit anxious about getting things wrong and making little mistakes (notably the pronoun slip only happens AFTER Rose has left the scene so it doesn't read as a microaggression, more a legit error from someone who's trying to learn).

The true brilliance of RTD's era of Doctor Who was writing the companions as a complete and full thing. Rose, Donna, and Martha all work because they are fleshed out, full humans, with thoughts/feelings/ideas and motivations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

There’s implication the Dhawan Master had one, I think? Missy used a vortex manipulator, for sure. Simms used the Doctor’s, but I can’t remember if he said how he was on the Mondasian ship?

Isn't it the tornado with a house in it?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Warthur posted:

Having discussed it upthread and thought on it:

Much like the Doctor, Time Lords and the Master are a bunch of liars. Time Lords told the Master this for ~rEaSonS~ and needed to tell him this lie to distract him.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Has Moffat ever written a horror movie because he nails his horror stories on Who every time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

Are you referencing the latest episode? It was written by Davies.

Sorry yah, Davies.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, there's a weird trend in the last decade+ of cinematographers and sound editors sort of looking down on traditional TV as a medium. They shoot and mix for darkened rooms on giant 4K displays or projectors, with 7.1 systems. It actually makes them seem kind of limited and bad at their jobs if they can't adapt to how the audience is going to experience the piece and achieve their goals within that brief.

Is that why everything is so loving dark on TV?

Also, I do like the high saturation of color RTD vs. Chinball everything is muted at night color pallet.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Voyager did an episode like that that was ok.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Confusedslight posted:

Modern writers feel the need to say to get the chance to travel with the doctor you will pay a heavy price and I agree it is getting a bit old.

Rose gets stuck on Earth 2 with her replacement doctor and family. - ok, not great.
Martha ends up with Mickey running Torchwood? - 2nd worst fate.
Donna becomes a living god that will kill her (reversed) - 3rd worst fate.
Amy and Rory got to live a full life together though yah separated by time from their family. sucks but at least they are together and lives.
Clara - roams time and space until she decides it time to stop with Me.
Bill Potts - Cyberized - worst fate.
13ths Companions - All fine, I don't really remember.

So you know, yah, its not great.

Also, Whittaker's first year was fine to good but Chinball got way up his own rear end. Gave us a complicated puzzle that he didn't know how to complete.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

She got better!

Sort of.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

There's also so much happening that the episode ends up with a lot of contrivances to keep it all together that don't really hold up to scrutiny.

Truly an homage to most Bond movies.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Harlock posted:

Three companions who all met horrible, but bittersweet ends.

What about the 13th Doctor? Uhh I dunno, the Flux? Let's go with that.

Also Rory gets let out of the conversation for companion which is a shame.

My guess is that RTD had to tell the Beeb fine, I will keep David around in case you all get cold feet but has no real intention on leaning on it. The way I look at it is that if you come up with a cool story to unify everything, great use it. Otherwise, the Doctor is healing from the 2005 NuWho run and is NuerWhoing now.

also, I thought I was tired and misheard the Master/Gold Tooth thing but lol nope.

NuWho is dead. Long live NuWho!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

What games would other Doctors have challenged Toymaker with?

I can’t decide if Three, Four, or Six would have gone with Russian Roulette.

StarCraft Brood War: 5 minutes, no Rush.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ignis posted:

I was kind of bracing for the Toymaker to bring up how the Doctor left Dan without a house just to set up for a joke, but NPH's reaction to "she was killed by a bird!" was much funnier

I mean there was so much hosed up poo poo with Clara he should just had a book about it.

I do kinda wish they'd start with a male companion just to shake it up a bit. Luckily, RTD's strength is the companions.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I kinda like Ncuti Gatwa cartoonish almost Bugs Bunny like energy from when he wins the prize and I hope they continue with it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I like the regeneration limit as a thing because it does make it seem like something the doctor shouldn't waste trivially.

Oh no, I got a pimple

~*MURRAY GOLD*~

HMM new skin, that's weird.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Every time I try to remember Penny Dreadful my mind forcibly rejects it lest I remember Billie Piper's Irish accent. I can't even read the words I just wrote in the preceding sentence, it's all gone blurry!

Is it worse the Gabrielle Anwar's Irish accent?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Covok posted:

Gonna throw it out here, I agree with Youtuber, DAVIS, that it would be kind of fine if a future writer reveals that The Master was the real Timeless Child. How it justifies he hatred of Gallifrey and why he'd destroy it. And telling The Doctor that story was just a distraction.

You could also make the timeless child an Authorian or Greek God type of Time Lord ancient myth. That it was an old story to make sense of their world/abilities/society.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I kinda want to learn more about the adipose and also can the Slitheen be redeemed? Also, how are our Ood friends doing?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Amy as a character is literally saved by the fact that Karen Gillan is so charming, the first time watching it you paper over the MANY faults that Moffat had writing the character. The third series with The Doctor, Amy, and Rory works because they moved passed Amy being in love with the Doctor and its up probably being the best series of the that trio because of it (I think anyways).

I think Moffat trying to recreate the Rose dynamic (twice) works against him and in a way that hurt the characters. Rose worked because yah, she was in love with this guy but she's fairly independent a character, able to be on her own without needing the Doctor. Martha kinda has elements of this too being a literal Doctor but doesn't work because they never knew if they wanted to keep the romance plot a thing. Donna meanwhile and Bill work amazingly because they are both independent, call the Doctor on his bullshit, and are played full people.

Thirteen's companions also I think work better (for the most part) than Moffat's companions for similar reasons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Oh yah, I wouldn't mind Dr. Mysterio coming back.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Series six had a lot of good poo poo in it, but as a season, it really was a trainwreck. Only one of the episodes fully works for me ("The Doctor's Wife"). Pretty much nothing in series seven is good to me, unless you count "Day of The Doctor" as part of the season.

It's amazing that Riversong as a character kinda recovered cause it was awful for that season.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Warthur posted:

There's a really sharp shift in between Silence In the Library/Forest of the Dead, in which she was a competent, daring space archaeologist, and Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, where Moffat decides "actually, she's a sexy badass assassin domme" which is exactly the same thing he turned Irene Adler and Mary Watson into in Sherlock. Utterly tragic to watch Moffat dip into his own past repertoire of characters to turn them all into exactly the same goddamn thing yet again.

Also, losing focus on the fact that Doctor is suppose to learn more about her and she knows less each time they meet, which he tossed the second people like Riversong.

Credit to Alex Kingston though for keeping people invested.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I enjoyed all of Capaldi’s seasons, but yeah S10 technically should have been his schtick from the beginning.

I dunno Capaldi's first season felt a bit rough, not because of him mind you but the dynamic didn't work and it the plot seems to want to gently caress Clara extra hard for reasons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I love that the Doctor is kind of wrong-footed because the proper answers to how his companions are actually all right then are just so long and convoluted that he has to give these mealy-mouthed replies.

"Bill was killed by the Cybermen!"

"Ok, well, yes, but, er... so we met this weird water elemental space traveling creature that is the person that she was before she became an alien but also kind of isn't, and..."

edit: also because we're never going to stop saying it is it too late to change the thread title to Doctor Who: OH WELL THAT'S ALL RIGHT THEN

Alternatively:

The Doctor: It makes sense in context!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

McGann posted:

Now I'm expecting some sort of Patrick Mahomes cameo. That would delight at least...7 or 8 people, I imagine!

New wide receiver corp, that's weird.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I like this as an intro episode for Ncuti Gatwa. Energetic, charming guy, who is super empathetic, that whole scene when Ruby disappears from the timeline and the mother while a bit heavy handed also shows that this doctor feels for the people who is trying to help and the helpers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I thought the whole scene at the end with Ruby coming on board was the Doctor needed to make sure it was her choice to go and that he didn't influence her to join.