Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guessing this console room's a bit sterile because the final version is going to appear when Fifteen updates it in the same way that Twelve updated Eleven's without totally changing sets, except this time they planned it from the start.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There's no speculation because RTD himself admitted that Disney+ has input into the scripts, he even gave a vague example of them telling him to change a particular scene because it wasn't jolly enough or some such thing.

Oof, that sounds bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RTD seems like he'd be the kind to say 'hey this is a deal-breaker' in the representation front. And if it got out that Disney was trying to remove LGBTQ content from Doctor Who the backlash would be catastrophic, far worse than when they do it to their own shows.

But ugh, Disney is probably going to try to fit this into one of their standard demographic target boxes and Doctor Who doesn't really fit theirs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 28, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Disney only cares about that stuff inasmuch as whether it'll affect movie ticket sales in China (since the Chinese market is one they've desperately been trying to break into; and from what I understand, China has some very restrictive anti-LGBTQ+ laws, to say the least). Beyond that, they seemingly don't care if characters in a show are gay or bi or trans or whatnot. And I don't think they're hoping to crack the Chinese market via Doctor Who any time soon.

Nah, there's a lot of stuff out there on feedback various creators have gotten about cutting back or removing LGBT implications. Although most of what I've seen is in the animated TV division.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Resdfru posted:

Somebody hasn't seen Andor

Andor is Adult, that's a different kettle of fish. Disney has very different handling of queer content with their Kids vs Teen vs Family vs Adult etc, and Who would definitely be being handled as a family show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LGBT stuff aside, I wonder what the Disney feedback would've been on, like, Midnight, for example. I can easily see them as pushing the show away from stuff like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prodigy's the only one that's somewhat differentiated in terms of audience. LDS is targeting the core trekkie audience and SNW/Disco are trying to target core plus the casual-scifi-watcher audience (SNW more successfully than Disco). While Prodigy is hitting up the general kids audience (as well the trekkies, who are assumed.)

(Although judging by these forums Prodigy lost a lot of the trekkies early on when it seemed very non-Trek in tone and was quite star-wars-esque. In the long run it turned out to be done deliberately so it could explicitly shift from being Wars-like to being Trek-like as an introduction to the franchise for kids. And then turned out to be Voyager season 8 and 9)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 28, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but those episodes are often the best episodes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Drift of a couple years if we assume the episode is exactly taking place when aired, but not too bad.

'A Time Thing happened.'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'll be Grand Admiral Thrawn, courtesy of the new Disney+ deal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I feel like a bit of a double-edged sword for Moffat is that he didn't really have 'one overarching thing', like RTD had the Time War and Chibnall had the Timeless Child. Moffat just found a new big, weird thing to do every season or so.

SILENCE WILL FALL

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well that's up to the writer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Fourth Doctor's "secondary console room" was great and it's a shame we never got more than a single season with it

It's nicely cozy. I like the cozy rooms, that's why my favourites are Eight's and Twelve's after he put in the chairs and shelves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a general problem with TV these days that they don't mix for people who are just using their built in speakers or basic sound system anymore, they tend to design things around high end headphones or professionally set up 7.1 sound systems.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 3, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Since they've got so much space they should just pile up souvenirs from his various adventures over time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's life that exists in space in Doctor Who so there are probably vacuum-resistant microbes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

The doctor being mostly in control of the TARDIS and the material realities of television production where actors want to move on create a circumstance where companions only leave in times of crisis or under tragic circumstances because otherwise the doctor could just take them home but also why would they want to go home?

Honestly, I feel like instead of shooting Amy and Rory off into the past, they could've just had them say 'enough is enough' after having to mutually commit suicide at the end of Angels take Manhattan to survive. They'd been building TARDIS fatigue on them for a while.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

She got better!

Plus, thanks to the Testimony Foundation, everyone got better sort of!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

He did keep doing that, with Amy and Rory specifically. Him just being there kept dragging them into things, but they were family, he couldn't keep away unless he had no other choice.

Well, he wasn't just visiting them, they were coming along with him. It could've worked if they'd left by the two of them retiring from the TARDIS and show but it's implied he just occasionally visited them but they won't ever join him on journeys.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tell me that the round buildings in the background are actually building-sized daleks with regular daleks riding inside.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Oh I can't wait for the weekend :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5Qa8hqQR0

Bernard Cribbins stunt double spotted :smith:

Colonel Ibrahim more like colonel ibra-hunk

Toymaker's pretty great in this glimpse, love the little focus-rack

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 7, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'll give him that they were good ideas, unlike, uh, everything I've heard about Inside Man.

and let's not even talk about Douglas Is Cancelled (which admittedly isn't out yet but just the premise is so goddamn dire)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

And honestly I still don't quite get how the cyber conversion thing in that episode even worked given it required consent from the dead mind for half of it but then they were just raising entire graveyards in seconds.

The minds were already done beforehand, she'd been capturing every dead human's mind and getting them to consent in the nethersphere and processing them to be Cybermen for much of history. The nanite rain was just to assimilate the bodies in the cemeteries and create Cybermen for the minds to be downloaded back into.

It's a pretty horrific implication. Tens of billions of dead humans were taken and twisted by her in the nethersphere. All our dead loved ones. The episode kinda skips over the scale.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 8, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Oh, that makes sense, fair enough. I refuse to believe that literally the only people that couldn't break the conditioning were Danny and the Brig though.

There were probably a few other outliers, but with Danny it was more that they just hadn't had time to finish gaslighting him into consenting. The initial pass failed when he was interrupted by the kid he killed, but I'm sure they would've just stepped it up a notch and gotten him anyway if events hadn't reached a climax first.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it just me or does the original toymaker's face looks so much like Timothy Dalton Rassilon it's distracting

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That terrible accent is going to be so distracting

It sounds like he drops it at the end of the clip?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah Rusty and Julie can actually get poo poo done can't they

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bi-generation being a myth that turned out real makes me think of the Doctor having just invoked superstition at the edge of the universe last episode. Did he make superstitions and myths start to become real?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Missy killing the Master, having a legit heel-face turn, and then having the Master kill her anyway was always such a great bit of Who.

I love Dhawan, I want to see him face off against 15, but I'd love to have Missy back again.

Maybe I'll turn out they actually bigenerated into both Missy and Dhawan so we can have them both back.

(That's a joke but come to think of it I could see them doing a plot where the Master bigenerates next, they could take one down the Missy redemption path and the other can still be mad evil)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 9, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if (preview spoilers) the pirate ship and heroic leaps and stuff next episode is deliberate in the way that I'm getting the sense Fifteen is intended to be the Swashbuckling Doctor and they're trying to explicitly draw that association in his intro.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've been out is there a reason people tend to refer to him as Ncuti instead of Gatwa? Generally when taking about the others it's surname that's most commonly used but I see y'all saying Ncuti more often.

I suppose people tended to refer to Jodie Whittaker as Jodie too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 9, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looking at old Toymaker stuff.

Steven Taylor has such a strong chin.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That big unit HQ set looked far too well built, I assume it was done as part of spinoff development.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Coq au Nandos posted:

I for one can’t wait to learn about Dalek mythology.

I feel like a lot of their mythology would be about the Doctor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

As a bloke into blokes, and Ncuti being right up my alley, the next few years are going to be wild. :3:

Oh it's gonna take some getting used to having a Doctor that's sexy-model-hot. In past they were at best awkward-nerdy-hot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah we're rebooting everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd never heard that about The Toymaker, where's that from?

Tardis wiki credits Donald Tosh on the Time Meddler DVD commentary: they're apparently talking about the Monk and mention that the Toymaker was also intended behind the scenes to be of the same race as the Doctor, back when it was very undefined what the Doctor was. Was well before the Time Lords were named in The War Games.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Going with a pocketwatch as the Doctor's new sonic feels odd if they're doing s Doctor vs. myths thing now. He should have a magic wand for those kinds of fights.

I always thought Capaldi's should've looked a little more like a magic wand to compliment the magician outfit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

I do kinda wish they'd start with a male companion just to shake it up a bit.

We won't have true equality until it's the Doctor and a young blond twink running around having adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

For the BBC? Nothing!

For Disney+, on the other hand...