Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always shameless self-advertising! (Click here to bypass this post entirely if you don't want to read it!): An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs/MP4s - May give weird 404 warnings or warnings about "erotic imagery" (Pertwee eating a sandwich?), will keep checking to see if I can find a solution.
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker | Ncuti Gatwa

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings | Survival of the Fittest | The Architects of History
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am so excited to be back in 2005 :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coward posted:

I do not have words for the sheer childish glee I expressed when McGann was revealed in Night of the Doctor.

"Not the one you were expecting" :vince:

Also loved his appearance in The Power of the Doctor where he's not in robes like the others and they grumble about him not playing along :)

Which in turn reminds me of how much fun it was when Davison, Colin and Sylvester are peeking on him at the convention while he's on the phone in The Five-Ish Doctors, muttering,"I bet that's his agent, he's got a job. He's ALWAYS getting jobs!" :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Is the Beginning DVD still in print? Get that!

Physical Media wins again! :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I absolutely loved that :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

How is that show, with the caveat the viewer might prefer to never see disney marvel material ever again? Is it the kinda thing where it stands on its own or do you need to be all up ins marvelsphere to make sense of cross-events and cameos?

First season is very good, second season has been a mixed bag but the last couple of episodes have really improved and it looks like the last episode is gonna recontextualize the season as a whole.

The set design is absolutely top tier, just incredible, and looks vastly different from almost everything else Marvel has been doing. There's a 70s sci-fi/film aesthetic to the whole thing that absolutely works within the context of the setting of the show.

Also, there are a lot of jokes made about it, but there are seriously a lot of ideas, concepts and at times what appear to be straight up references to Doctor Who (the line "You're the criminal with the blue box" from the first ever episode certainly made me go :crossarms: haha). When the Chibnall era was really not setting the world on fire, it did feel like Loki Season 1 was the next best thing for Doctor Who fans who weren't getting what they wanted from the show.

Edit: I mean, you could legit summarize season 1 as "A non-human time traveler escapes from an overly bureaucratic group of time travelers, and meets several incarnations of himself as he travels through time and to alien worlds seeking to stop an evil being that believes it is superior to all other life in the universe"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 5, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As the Doctor put it: "You were a little girl! :mad:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A bunch of RTD stories had me go:

What a rollercoaster, I love this episode so much!
several minutes pass
Hang on, a bunch of that made NO sense and was kinda stupid!
half a second passes
Still loving great though!

It was wildly uneven but when it hit highs they were HIGH and the lows were only rarely too much to look past. Though when they were, boy were they!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ll take a miss from a big swing over playing it safe and dull any day.

If you're Chris Chibnall you can do both like he did with The Timeless Child!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do not think I have ever seen a picture of Ncuti Gatwa that doesn't make him look like the coolest person who has ever lived.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's not like The War Games where you could chop half the episodes out and have an amazing story instead of just a good one that ends perfectly.

But every single second of The War Games is perfection :crossarms:

Why... I'm starting to think maybe us Doctor Who fans might not have a hive mind about what makes a good or a bad episode after all! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You loving tell 'em, Rusty :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Star Beast airs 6:30PM Nov 25, 56 minutes

:bisonyes:

It's been too long.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

How about this one for an uptick?

Delta and the Bannermen to Dragonfire.

Me and the gang every time we're forced to remember Delta and the Bannermen exists:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

The articles main source is apparently saying he was misrepresented.

https://twitter.com/drwhopodcasters/status/1723388160866943358

All I know is that there are existing episodes out there I can't see, and that makes me sad, so please whatever parties are involved just sort it out and make it so I can see the existing episodes thank you very much :kiddo:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The fact they used that wax work of Tom Baker for the end of Day of the Doctor still cracks me up :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

It's been mentioned elsewhere that there may be up to five or six missing eps in private collections, but no one is willing to part with them

Has anybody explained that I want to watch them?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

But what do they get out of it?

That I get to watch the episodes! Everybody wins! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seeing Eddie Robson's name on a Big Finish audio is usually a seal of quality for sure. Human Resources is one of my favorite Cybermen stories ever, it captures them in exactly the way I've always wanted to see them written.

That's great but also I keep being distracted by how loving cool those shoes are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bill ruled so much and I'm sad we only got one season with her as a companion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

The first 12th doctor who episode that I really liked and made his doctor click with me was murder on the orient express. That episode is glorious.

That one and Flatline are a hell of a 1-2 punch of incredible quality.

Then Bill gets Oxygen in her season which is another all-timer. Bring back Jamie Mathieson!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JessKay posted:

100% - stuff like the "Are you secretly a badass?" "Nothing secret about it, babydoll." shouldn't work nearly as well as they make it work.

Haha yeah, on paper those lines are awful but their chemistry and delivery made it work great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember thinking how amazing the color photos of The War Games sets were, it was the first time I really grasped that they had to use colors like this to make the black and white actually look like it should on television.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was tremendously fun. My first thought was,"Hey, that's like the claw from the original design that was too expensive to produce!" and then everything just got better and better from there :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Whenever somebody complains about canon/time travel in Doctor Who, they should just hire Matt Smith to do a PSA where he asks the fans if they're familiar with a particular analogy, confirms that they are, then notes that it's nothing like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

People making a lot of good points and discussing some key ideas on this page. Good to see, imagine being the kind of person who was instead obsessing over whatever single brief frames they could see through the open TARDIS door trying to get a sense of whether they already changed up the console room from the awful one used during the Whittaker era? That would be pretty lame.

:sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's absolutely the Jodie interior.

That makes sense.

:negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Julian Bleach rules and getting to see "young" Davros is pretty drat neat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just don't see how 'canon' even works in Dr. Who.

Very well!

Edit: I love that 11 story where the one guy starts complaining about time travel being impossible and starts with,"The paradoxes-", and 11 just cuts him off with,"-tend to work themselves out!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 11 New Year's Special: Resolution
Written by Chris Chibnall, Directed by Wayne Yip

Ryan Sinclair posted:

Short version: Alien psychopath, in its own tank.

The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing. Doing the bulk of these write-ups after the Chibnall era ended there is valuable knowledge about where things would eventually go, what angles and twists and developments would pay off and which would not for example. It also gives a sense of where (subjectively) each episode effectively ranks against the other, which aged well, which were good (or bad) in the moment and which stood the test of time. Happily, this episode is one of the latter in my opinion. It was good when it first aired, it's still good now, and it ranks among the best of the entire Chibnall/Whittaker run. It's also, and I don't give a poo poo what the DVD releases say, clearly part of Season 11! It's called Resolution for God's sakes!

That's exactly what it is, beyond the obvious nod to airing on New Year's Day. It is a far more effective wrap up to the season than The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos (such a dumb name), it gives some degree of closure to a major plot beat introduced in The Woman Who Fell to Earth for Ryan as a character, demonstrates the now fully developed relationship between the Doctor and her new companions, and perhaps most notably is the first story of Whittaker's run where we get to see her face off with a regularly recurring "monster" from the show's history.

Chibnall's idea, like so many of his were, had a good and positive foundation regardless of how well they ended up being executed: he wanted somewhat of a fresh start for his Doctor, and deliberately chose to do a first season that didn't feature old monsters, old characters, old locations etc. It was Sheffield instead of London, there was no UNIT, Stenza instead of Cybermen, different time periods, different galactic empires etc. He didn't want the show to feel like it was relying on the old and familiar, but was developing and growing in new ways. Sometimes this worked, sometimes (distressingly, often) it didn't, but it was a reasonable idea.

The trouble being, of course, that a lot of these familiar characters, monsters, locations, empires etc are a part and parcel of the Doctor Who experience. They don't need to ALWAYS be there, but neither is it reasonable for them to NEVER be there. There was a sense of this run of Doctor Who was oddly distinct from all others, like other than the TARDIS and the Doctor it didn't really feel like it was a part of the pre-established history of the show. That clearly wasn't the intent (that would be mad!), but the absence of certain familiar beats couldn't help but stand out. And that's part of why this episode felt like it was making it clear,"Okay, we've done what we wanted with the first season, let's cap it off with a reminder that yes, all that other stuff is still there and just waiting to be encountered."

What better way to do that than with a genocidal pepper-pot!?!

Way back in December of 1963, the second ever Doctor Who story was called The Daleks. Sydney Newman had told Verity Lambert he wanted the show to alternate between educational historicals and futuristic sci-fi stories (that also explored educational ideas, albeit through a fantastical lens, not just an excuse for "bug-eyed monsters"!), an idea that didn't take all that long to fall by the wayside as the sci-fi stories clearly generated far more interest (I do lament the loss of the pure historical). Newman, not a fan of "bug-eyed monsters", couldn't deny that The Daleks (episode AND creatures) were a phenomenon. The audience across the 6 weeks the story ran rose by millions, children eagerly played Daleks in the street and on the playground, merchandise was everywhere, they even made two Doctor Who movies with Peter Cushing!

For the following decades that Doctor Who was running, the Daleks were a near constant experience, sometimes disappearing for a little while but ALWAYS returning, their absences usually a result of Terry Nation exploring attempts to make them their own standalone show/movie. The thing was, the Daleks were a part and parcel of Doctor Who, neither felt quite complete without the other. So the Daleks always returned to Doctor Who, and while certainly not every story was a classic, even the worst of them had those terrifying voices, that inhuman "eye", the utter fear that was felt by their victims. When the show was revived in 2005, one of the first questions asked was would the Daleks appear? They did, in one of those "classic" stories, where it was suggested perhaps this Dalek was the LAST Dalek. They returned of course, and would continue to return, to the point that rumors continue to persist that part of the licensing agreement with the Nation Estate is that there must be at least one Dalek appearance every season (or year of specials).

All of which is a long-winded way of saying that this episode has a Dalek in it, and it's both a welcome surprise and also not a surprise at all! I can't say it's a "classic" Dalek episode, but it is a very good one, and while it is the old and the familiar returning to a season of Doctor Who designed to be new and fresh, it also offers a very interesting twist on the classic Dalek episode structure, one that just further demonstrates not just how scarily resourceful a Dalek can be, but how utterly cruel and monstrous they are. There is even a twist on the classic design, one that makes sense as a one-off (the design would appear again, with a reasonable explanation, but it didn't work anywhere near as well the second time) as well as a twisted take on the Doctor. Her engineering of a new Sonic Screwdriver from what parts she could scavenge in The Woman Who Fell to Earth (another idea we can see was largely forgotten/abandoned with the benefit of hindsight) is mirrored in a sense as "Lin" builds a Dalek shell from scavenged and recovered parts, yet another example of the way the Doctor and the Daleks are (much to both their chagrin) seemingly forever connected.

Jodie Whittaker finally gets a chance as the Doctor to face off with a Dalek, and she nails it. There is a brief prior scene of her communicating with the mutant through holographic projection which is solid, but late in the episode when she and the Dalek share a scene together is one of the sadly too few times that she really gets to have a classic Doctor moment. The Dalek represents the antithesis of the Doctor as a character, and she takes the opportunity afforded by the built-in history that simply wasn't there for the likes of the Stenza to clash with the monster over the wrongness of its philosophy, of her belief in humanity, and gets a wonderful moment where she reveals her identity to the Dalek and it recoils in horror and alarm as it realizes it has come face to eyestalk with the boogeyman.

The episode itself is far from being perfect, and indeed many of the issues it has are ones that once again the benefit of hindsight shows us were staples of the Chibnall era. It is certainly more effective at the parts it gets right, but it's an overstuffed episode that has too much in it while simultaneously not giving all the characters enough to do. The character who suffers the most from this is, once again, Yaz, with Mandip Gill again suffering for the fact her character is not a showy one. It's a fine thing to try and demonstrate a police officer character as actually focusing on the less visible elements of police work: she talks with people, she spots when they are overwhelmed or upset, she figures out how to coax more information out of people etc. But it also means that she is largely relegated to the background, while Graham and in particular Ryan get a lot more meat to work with through their shared family history and the appearance of Ryan's father at long last.

What makes this stand out the most is that a key point in the story features "Lin" being pulled over by police, the Kaled mutant gleefully using this as an opportunity for "combat". Two police officers are murdered, something you would think would cause a massive reaction from the police force which in turn would pull in Yaz (or that she would be understandably upset/shocked when she discovered what had happened), except... it apparently happens in complete isolation from the rest of the story. The deaths are never mentioned or have any further impact on the story, the moment they're off-screen they cease to exist, in much the same way the wiping out of a military unit later in the episode also apparently happens completely in isolation with no impact, the military just... not bothering to send any more units or showing alarm over an attack.

Part of the reason for this is that there are too many characters, too much going on, and Yaz ends up having no space. What's the alternative here, given all three companions have to be present for the story (this was a common problem in the Davison era, where they would frequently just leave one of the companions in the TARDIS or otherwise isolated)? Maybe Yaz could be the victim of the Kaled Mutant, giving the attempts to free her a more personal stake for the Doctor, Ryan and Graham? That would certainly give the scene with the officers being murdered higher stakes, given she'd have to deal with that guilt afterwards even knowing that she wasn't responsible. She could have used her police training to try and talk the Kaled mutant down, which would fail to convince it but would perhaps serve to infuriate it as she poked holes in its revolting "logic" of supremacy?

It's an idea, but not necessarily a good one, just an alternative to Yaz effectively doing nothing. The Doctor doesn't NEED a personal stake to want to save the Dalek's victim, and while it kind of sucks for Mandip Gill to be a primary cast member but having less to do than a supporting guest cast member, I wouldn't want to lose Charlotte Ritchie's Lin because she does a tremendous job. Both as the victim Lin AND as the puppeteered body having the Kaled mutant's monstrous will filtered through a human's facial expressions, Ritchie is really, really good. It's also fun seeing her in a role like this, given my familiarity with her is mostly through the very broad comedy of Ghosts.

What the Dalek does to her is horrifying, as well as an entirely new aspect of the Daleks not seen before in any story (that I can recall). Having been trisected and buried in different parts of the world in a frankly kind of awful opening segment (why is there a narrator? Who is narrating? Do the other two members of the centuries old pact just kind of shrug and gently caress off when the thing their order has been guarding for centuries disappears?), part of the mutant is rediscovered by Lin and her colleague (and sorta-kinda-maybe boyfriend) in an archeological dig and accidentally revived. Reuniting its component parts (this ability is put down to its status as an "enhanced" Scout, one of the first to ever leave Skaro after the Daleks discovered space - and time! - travel were possible), the mutant latches itself onto Lin's body, takes control of her body and brain and puppeteers her through its pursuit of whatever existing Dalek technology it can find so it can restore itself and contact the Dalek fleet.

That's horrific enough, but what makes it more so is the sheer cruelty and sadistic pleasure it takes in what it is doing. It needs Lin alive while it moves her about, but it also makes certain that she knows what it is doing, that she is constantly aware of what is happening to her and what it is making her body do. Its hatred and contempt leaks through into her facial expressions, leaving her unsure where it starts and she ends, and it makes a point of murdering even when it doesn't have to, even when she could talk her way out of situations. It's a scout, intelligent and dangerous but also designed for recon, and the fact it forgoes subtlety for blatant murder is both a reminder of how alien the Daleks are and also how violently they react to anything that challenges their own perception of their so-called superiority. This Dalek was humiliated, it might have taken 3 armies (no explanation of how all three came together from such different parts of the world in the 9th Century) but it was defeated, trisected, and its parts buried in the ground for centuries. Now it is out, and it means to humiliate Lin, to revel in murder, to take savage satisfaction from teaching these humans a lesson for daring to make it question its own bred in belief that it is superior form of life.

There's a moment in particular that really stands out. The Doctor has used techno-babble to force a holographic face-to-face confrontation with "Lin", which she also uses as a way to both goad the Dalek while also getting through to Lin and offering her a sense of hope. As she and the Dalek verbally joust, she talks up humanity's strength and demands it free Lin, and a horrible, hacking, gurgling noise emerges from "Lin". The Doctor is as confused as anybody, but believes she knows what she is hearing, as horrifying as it is.

The Dalek is laughing.

That's one of the horrifying things about them. Even laughter is monstrous. There is no joy in its laughter, no humor, no happiness. It is cruel, full of contempt, and clearly something that Daleks do not usually do. "DALEKS DO NOT LAUGH!" is a line you might expect to hear in an episode at some point, and of course they don't, because laughter SHOULD mean having some kind of soul, some kind of joy for the world. Cruel laughter, laughter that punches down, that mocks or taunts purely out of contempt, is pointless and mean and nasty. But even that at least sounds human. Laughter from a Dalek is an abomination, the sounds having to be forced out as an approximation, potentially only possible at all because they can be filtered through Lin's human body and the mutant's presence in her mind allows it to follow neural pathways either long since atrophied in its own if not outright expunged from the early days of Davros' experiments.

As mentioned earlier, this is one of the sadly few episodes where the Doctor actually gets a chance to be proactive, to demonstrate her intelligence and the fact that she's very, very, very clever. Confronting the Dalek through the holographic projection was a multi-faceted move on her part, getting her location data, giving her a chance to figure out exactly what and where this specific Dalek's origins were, but also to offer Lin hope. That pays off after the recreation of the Dalek shell, as Lin grasps that puppeteering her body is taking as much out of the mutant as it is out of her... in fact more. It is the mutant that is weakening, that desperately needs to get inside this approximation of its life-support shell to regain both its formidable weaponry but also its strength. She fights it off body and mind, and thus ends up saving herself. This will go a long way to helping her recover (which will be a LOOOONG road, one largely glossed over by the story with her and Mitch seemingly ready to just move on with their lives), because she wasn't used and discarded, she was used but fought back and freed herself, presumably a massive psychological lift for her sense of self.

But all of that, while the main plotline of the story, is also accompanied by a pretty massive subplot that builds into the climax. Its both a strength and weakness of the episode, because Tosin Cole in particular gets a lot to chew on as Ryan's father finally shows up after failing to appear at Grace's funeral, with Bradley Walsh also getting some strong moments in his role in this plot, but it's vying for time with the pretty massive events of the main plot. That Chibnall is actually able to write Ryan's dad - Aaron - with some degree of sympathy given how primed we are to dislike him, to allow some time for a couple of strong scenes between Ryan and Aaron as well as Graham and Aaron, is to his credit. Tying it in with the climax of the episode (even if Chekov's microwave is a bit silly) also works well, but it does make for a very packed episode, with Yaz the innocent bystander mowed down by all these other actors having something to do.

Graham's initial reaction to Aaron's appearance could be played for comedy, but it works because there is every reason for him to see this man on his doorstep and just shut the door in his face. Aaron has been an absent father for Ryan, was an absent son for Grace, and now while all these important and pivotal things are happening, he shows up on the doorstep having decided the time now suits him to appear?

But Graham is also a good person, and it is to his credit that he isn't overly upset by Ryan's willingness to talk to Aaron, and that in fact later in the episode when unexpectedly left behind with him in the house, he doesn't just sit in silence, he doesn't just talk, but he takes active steps to try and understand Aaron's point of view as well as showcase to him just how important his status as a parent is, how much Grace loved him and how Aaron has a chance now to try and make up for lost time. Graham has been through a lot in this season, in the two previous episodes in particular, and it demonstrates real growth that his exposure to the Doctor has made him understand the importance of forgiveness and second chances.

Similarly, Ryan gets a strong scene where he and Aaron go to a cafe and Ryan gets to unload on Aaron his frustrations over being abandoned by him. Aaron doesn't have some grand excuse, some secret reason why he had no choice, even if there were things that happened that hurt him badly too. He handled those badly, he ran away, he looked to work in Engineering and on oil rigs, and none of it justifies being a bad father, but he can at least admit - after a pathetic token effort to criticize Ryan for being disrespectful - that he's ashamed of his actions.

Things get a little muddied after that as the main plot overtakes things (aside from Graham and Aaron having a proper chat where Graham finally gets an explanation for why Aaron didn't attend Grace's funeral), and Aaron's inclusion in the TARDIS smacks a little too much of just needing him in there for the big emotional climactic moment as well as Chekov's microwave. It isn't entirely clear how Ryan feels about Aaron at this point, he's heard him out and seems to be getting along reasonably okay, but mentions to Yaz that he still doesn't want him around at all. Of course, Aaron being put in peril gives Ryan the emotional push he needs to set aside animosity to reach out figuratively and literally to his father, but while the scenes mentioned above do some strong groundwork for rebuilding a relationship, it feels like they take a shortcut to get to where they end up by the episode's finish, particularly since - again with the benefit of context - Daniel Adegboyega never shows up as Aaron ever again, and unless I've forgotten something never actually gets mentioned again at any point? Making the entire thing feel, not pointless certainly, but also kind of vestigial.

There's some lighthearted attempts at comedy that would probably have passed a little easier or held up better if this was the typical Christmas special which tend to be broader in terms of comedy beats than regular episodes, but New Year's doesn't really have quite the same festive spirit going for it. There's a Brexit (never directly referenced) joke about the disbanding of UNIT due to Britain's international partners not feeling like footing the bill for an organization invented in the show as a nod to the European Union, which would be a pretty ignominious (and cruel) end to decades of show history if that benefit of hindsight didn't show that UNIT and Kate Stewart got a chance to shine again later. A crack about the Internet going down leads to a double-shot of jokes about how monstrous an act that is to do on New Year's Day which are amusing (if groanworthy) enough in the moment but kind of clash with the tone of the episode at that point - presumably they were intended as a tension breaker? But isn't this where the tension should be at its highest? Again, it might work at Christmas, not necessarily on New Year's.

Working with her "fam", the Doctor prevents the Dalek from using GCHQ to contact the Dalek fleet, and destroys the Dalek Shell (remember, it's got Dalek parts/technology but is also made up of scrap parts to complete it), seemingly killing the Dalek. The mutant has escaped however and takes over Aaron's body, demanding the Doctor take it in the TARDIS to reunite with the fleet. The Doctor is seemingly gullible enough to take it at its word that it will release Aaron afterwards, but happily this was just her playing on the Dalek's own belief in her inferiority, as she instead drops them next to a supenova and cracks open a tiny portion of the TARDIS force-field to rip it off Aaron.

She hasn't accounted fully for its sheer hatred however, because as much as the Doctor and the Daleks know each other, they can never TRULY know what it is like to feel as the other does. There is no gain from taking Aaron with it, and though it might calculate there is a chance the Doctor will relent and close the TARDIS doors, its primary thought is likely that it will at least kill something "inferior" as it goes, one last spit of defiance at the university purely for its own sake. It's Ryan reaching out figuratively and literally to his father that saves him, giving him the strength - like the Doctor gave to Lin earlier, along with the presence of Mitch - to hold out against the overwhelming hatred of the mutant. The Dalek is torn free and sucked into the supernova, burned down to the atoms, disintegrated, and this time there would be nothing for archeologists to find centuries down the line.

We'll get to Revolution of the Daleks at the end of Season 12 :sigh:

After an over-packed episode, the wrap-up is rather abrupt. Aaron turns down an offer from the Doctor to come along for a ride on their next trip, Ryan and Aaron hug and then... that's that. We never see Aaron again, Lin and Mitch get maybe one line to wrap up their story (to be fair, Lin got a hefty chunk of the episode), the murders of the police officers and the wiping out of a British military unit on British soil go unmentioned, and the Doctor her and companions just head off on another adventure.

This sounds like a negative, but really despite some flaws this was a really, really strong episode and one that showcased some of the promise that the show still had at this point. With the benefit of hindsight, for me Season 12 - which has some great moments and episodes, don't get me wrong! - starts seeing the tipping point for the Chibnall era being something that I could see promise in to something I saw as both promise squandered as well as some pointlessly stupid and bad decisions that would ultimately go absolutely nowhere. None of that changed my opinion that Jodie Whittaker was inspired casting and she was giving her all, but this episodes remains one of the few where she really got a chance to realize that promise.

Despite the abrupt ending, the episode ends on a great line. Having started the episode taking the companions on a series of New Year's Days which helped showcase that not every adventure she takes them on is life or death, the episode ends with Yaz asking the Doctor where to next. Her answer is wonderful.

"I was thinking... everywhere."

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 21, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

My YouTube suggestions somehow became flooded with "hot takes" and "we need to talk abouts" concerning the 'new' Davros and how it's a sign of how 'woke' the show has become.

Here's a handy tip that has served me well. If somebody says,"<x> has become too "woke"" then you can safely never listen, acknowledge or care about anything they ever say ever again for the rest of eternity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Heard they're doing a remake of Rip Van Winkle where he gets woke at the end

Amazing :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You pulled its tummy out!"

God I can't wait.

The_Doctor posted:

Happy 60th birthday, Doctor Who! :toot:

:cheers:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So good to hear the Doctor's voice! :neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

The mad lads did it.

:bisonyes:

I'm so excited for new Doctor Who :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

lines posted:

This was an interesting watch for what they did and didn't include, especially re: Chibnall's era.

https://youtu.be/s46TZDTTFdM?si=jVZD-FA-bUkvN8Pt

10: I'm 903-years-old!

Man, kinda crazy to think back to when he was that young.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Just a drip in the pond

No no, he went and picked up Rory to avoid that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I'm so hyped :supaburn:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chibnall: I notice the Morbius "Doctors" aren't in there, I'm sure there must be a lot of anger about that online!
a tumbleweed tumbles by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The quality shift between Eve of the Daleks, the Sea Devil one, and Power of the Doctor is a wild loving rollercoaster.