Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What times does the new ep air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

5:30am in Sydney on Sunday :suicide:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

14 gonna read you a bedtime story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnk6hWr8kZQ

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No Valeyard, Dreamlord, Curator, Timeless Child or Watcher 0/0

PriorMarcus posted:

You weren't blind to it, it was non existent.

I mean they did a real good job of reminding everyone the Doctor was going to be a woman, and that was about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm2PXshWC_0

I wish you had better scripts Jodie :negative:

Hype.

Going to rewatch Power of the Doctor and get prepared :boonie:

I missed out on Rise/Fall Fall/Rise ep chat before, but lol @ what a magnificent rise Power of the Doctor is over Legend of the Sea Devils.
I'm glad 13's run ended on a high note :unsmith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Power of the Doctor rewatch musings
- Dan unceremoniously dumped back on Earth at his request, but cold non-farewell by the Doctor still out of character. A bad farewell to a short time companion.
- Sacha Dhawan's Master absolutely loving eats every scene he's in. Nonstop mindgames and belittling of humans. Dhawan > Gomez > Simms no contest. God I hope 15 faces off against his version of the Master. "Yes YES! Take me away! You'll all feel safer with ME in the building" :allears:
- Doctor asks that Yaz be given a gun due to her concern over the Master's plan. Completely out of character, and an absolutely massive writing sin. Not so much that A Companion Has A Gun, as this happens occasionally, but because the Doctor asked for her companion to carry one, and the stakes were nowhere near that level yet.
- Vinder subplot could literally not exist. He effectively turns up to shoot the Master, get his ship repaired, and that's it. Sooooooo why not have Yaz do it if you're so insistent on her holding the gun? Or have her sonic blast/laser rifle/sci-fi shoot the Master if you didn't want a companion holding a gun.
- Old companions trying out old tactics, gold bullets + cybermen, is a fun nod
- Ace is basically just an older version of her character, but Tegan seemingly just existed to gently caress up and patch the wires where the Holo-Doc told her to do. At least make her a hacker or a something so she didn't need the Doctor.
- Ashad is a waaaaaaaaayy more interesting and threatening a Cyberman than the Cyber Master's will ever be. Cyber Master's are dumb and I hate them as a concept because of how hamfisted they are. Ashad should have been converted into a Time-Lord with infinite regenerations, blammo instant long term villain.
- Fugitive Doctor still good. I still don't agree at all with the TImeless Child/Countless past versions of the Doctor plotlines Chibnall introduced, but Jo Martin loving rules in the role and has instant stage presence.
- All the previous Doctors turning up is always :unsmith:. I hope 2 and 3 turn up for a future multi-Doc story. I hope Eccelston comes back as well, but I don't think his relationship with RTD is going to ever be mended.
- All the old companions having a meeting is also very :unsmith:.
- The Yaz x Doctor romance subplot needed time to cook if they were going to introduce it, so it just felt doubly worse they only tried it for 3 eps and did nothing with it. Sorry Yaz, but at least you got the best farewell.
- If nothing else 13's death and regeneration scenes were really well done, and I wish we saw more sombre 13 than madcap scrunchy face FAM FAM FAM 13
- I'm glad The Fam concept is dead :colbert:

Honestly Power of the Doctor has a bunch of random weird poo poo going on, and a bunch of dumb plotholes, but it was loving fun - something that had been sorely missing from the vast majority of 13's run.

Farewell Jodie, you deserved better.
Chibnall, I'm glad you're gone.

Onwards to Tennant, Gatwa, and RTD.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Donna's back :unsmith:

Donna's back :stare:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lines posted:

WERE BBAK BABEY

ok as a trans person I thought some things were handled a bit clumsily but clearly in a way designed to upset internet chuds so uh, fine, and also, it's rusty, he knows writers who use subtext and they're all cowards, and furthermore

WERE BBAK BABEY

I thought the binary/non-binary bit was a little eye rolly, but it was dumb fun weird instead of dumb bad weird - so who loving cares. RTD back babyyy.

Rose actress was real good though. Didn't understand why she didn't get a whirl in the TARDIS? But also Doctor Donna is back :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lines posted:

Love that we literally got this.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

10 but Ginger

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also it's technically a new series, so we're back to Season 00/Specials ATM, and Season 1 will start next year.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had a quick rewatch and in the end my only real complaint is the engines shutting down repairs the road in reverse :laffo:

https://i.imgur.com/H74a2Im.mp4

"Oh I know some roads even taxi drivers don't, trust me. Grand Master of the Knowledge!"
"That says Grand Mistress.."
"Oh.. *slaps Psychic Paper* Catch up!"
:allears:

lines posted:

So... does anyone have ANY guesses as to what the next episode is actually about?

Donna fucks up
Hilarity ensues

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's a bit weird that they're referring to this new regeneration as 14, when it's quite clearly just 10.
Exact same mannerisms and personality - there's nothing unique about him that'd make him a 14th 'personality' of the Doctor.

The Curator is a future regeneration, but would mean he'd also just be 4?

Gimmick is fun, but confusing. Hopefully it gets cleared up during the specials.
:thunk:

Also there's a new Doctor Who ep next week!
And the week after that!
Then there's a Christmas Special with a new Doctor!

Holy poo poo! It's been so long :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxOX1CCtBA

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I have missed Donna so loving much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-DvXBoxKjY

Best 10 companion
Best 14 companion

Rack Ruby Sunday off so she can be best 15 companion

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

When will those idiot suits at the beeb finally give us the doctor we deserve - Brian Blessed hosting his unhinged Have I Got News For You episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlPRA-2OgtE

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's Brian Blessed from a 2008 episode of Have I Got News For You, where he was absolutely bouncing off the walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yif3FM6PQtw

Basically travel back in time and turn that version of him into a Doctor

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would have liked to have seen Tennant with Moffat as showrunner. That combo would potentially be quite deadly for an all time fav Doctor list.
Moffat did a good majority of my fav 10 stories, and would have loved to have seen what he could have got up to with him for a full season.

As much as 10 is my Doctor, I'd probably rate 12 above him.
Some of Capaldi's performances were amazing.

Harlock posted:

If we get just like 30 seconds of Eccelston on screen again in the RTD2 era, it will all have been worth it.

A 9 cameo would be amazing, but as mentioned he probably won't do it with RTD around - not unless RTD prostrates himself and apologises appropriately.

He's done audio stories, so he's def open to the idea of playing the Doctor again tho!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Problem with her first half-season is that it wasn’t with Capaldi, and her and Smith as a pairing just became sorta obnoxious.

I always liked the way they handled the changing of the status quo from Smith to Capaldi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1os_szONEg&t=113s

"Clara, I'm not your boyfriend."
"..I never thought you were."
"I never said it was your mistake."

I like carry-over companions. I think they're super interesting cause the dynamic changes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In 50min isn't it? :thunk:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Fine I'll rewatch star beast again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dumb jokes are back

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Attack on Tardis

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is straight up Midnight 2.0

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wilf :unsmith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Hey that's the Machine-Person from Metropolis in the background I think!?!

It was there in the 1st ep

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

While I hated the Timeless Child as a concept, I'm glad that some kind of acknowledgement of half the universe being wiped out by the Flux actually got mentioned!

It really loving annoyed me that 13 wasn't more cut up about this fact. Bombastic Doctor Who is all well and good, but 13 barely acknowledged that half of all life got wiped out in a cheap Thanos pastiche

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Bless that poor dead alien captain, saving an entire universe who would never, ever know what they had done. :shobon:

They're talking about Horseoglyphs on Unleashed :allears:

Every dumb clickbait youtuber "BETA RAY BILL TURNS UP IN DOCTOR WHO???????" "MCU x DOCTOR WHO CROSS OVER CONFIRMED!!!!! REAL LEAK!!!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgaQZmUV_g

Gatwa :allears:

Looking like the Tardis going to get some decorations once he's moved in :swoon:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

That was great.
Although now hearing the credits theme for a second time and not having to digest so much, who the gently caress thought that having that "clackity clack" over the top and nearly drowning out the main music was a good idea?

A new whovian discovers Murray Gold

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

While this was a good episode, I feel like none of these 60th Anniversary episodes really feel like a 60th Anniversary episode, and just feel like episodes you could have any Doctor and companion in.

Yeah Gimme a multi-doc episode

Gimme 15+14 team up before 14 even regenerates.

Gimme 14 Doctors Team up

Gimme weird wacky poo poo for Anniversaries

These have been 2 Good Eps, but they don't feel like Anniversary eps.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No Doctor talking out of his arse clip? :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

I appreciate the references to the previous seasons, RTD didn't have to. But I hope he doesn't feel the need to spend too much time or energy justifying and "fixing" it over just doing his own thing.

There's a couple of things from Chibnall's run that RTD can wrap up/hook into
- Doctor's grief due to the events of the Flux, which 13 never addressed half the universe being killed - Something that is on the same scale of the Time War which effectively gave 9 major PTSD
- The MacGuffin Timeless Child Fob Watch containing all of the Doctor's 'lost memories', which is now buried inside the Tardis somewhere. A plot hook that technically doesn't ever need to be picked up again by any showrunners
- Cyber Master's and the Doctors rage at having his people cannibalised into infinitely regenerating Cyber-men
- Jo Martin's Fugitive Doctor, and if they want to handwave that away as a parallel universe Doctor or whatever so she can make future appearances
That's pretty much it from 13's run?

We got to see a bit of the grief in the latest ep, as well as a little bit of the Doctor's anxiety over whether or not he actually is truly Gallifreyan.

I'm hoping Gatwa gets to do his own thing in his first season, and I can't wait for the Christmas ep :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RTD release the Shaved Meep Cut you coward!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRuqFceddfU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The loving scale of the set is insane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQkN0qtImcg

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

One of my big regrets is that we never got an RTD episode written while Moffat was the showrunner, I would have loved to have seen that dynamic. Closest we got was RTD writing 11 in Sarah Jane Adventures, which was a lot of fun but not quite the same thing.

Is Moffat interested in writing for the new series?

Cause gently caress me I'd love to see what he could do for Gatwa

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

He's hinted heavily on instagram that he may.

Give him a 2 parter, let him cook.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

So that's that. Gallifrey got wiped out anyway. Oh well. Remember all this billions of children in particular that the Doctor lamented dying in the Time War only to discover they'd saved them all? Yeah, apparently they all died anyway. Horribly. With worse yet to come in reveals made at the end of this season. Ugh.

I loving hate Chibnall's run and this is one of the main reasons.

Can't have Sacha Dhawan's scene-eating Master without the off-screen slaughter of Gallifrey and the Cyber Master horseshit.
Can't have Jo Martin's enigmatic Fugitive Doctor without accepting the Timeless Child retcon mess.

There's playing with that built up canon, something the animated Spider-verse films does well, and then there's the wholesale disrespect of decades worth of build up in Chibnall's run.

God I wish Whittaker had a season under a different showrunner :cripes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I was going to make a snarky comment, then I realised I could make a snarky edit

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor + Donna best combo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bASJEchs3N8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This does a reasonable job summarising the Timeless Child + Flux

Jerusalem posted:

If you take the word of noted liar The Master as the truth, due to him using the infallible Matrix (proven fallible in its own first appearance, due to sabotage by.... The Master!) to prove it, then the Doctor was some kid found on a deserted planet next to a portal to another universe by a contemporary of Rassilon and Omega who adopted her, then discovered she could regenerate when she died and proceeded to vivisect her for years until she figured out how to pass on the ability to regenerate to the Time Lords at the top of Gallifreyan society. Then the Time Lord version of the even worse CIA than the Celestial Intervention Agency from Pertwee's era put the Doctor to work for some reason doing various war crimes or wetwork for them, including capturing the Sugar Skull Gang and something something something Time is a living entity apparently this bit I gotta admit I haven't got a clue about until eventually one incarnation disguised herself as a human in 21st Century Earth until she met Jodie Whittaker and was restored to full awareness again and went back on the run. At some point she got caught and mind-wiped again and became Hartnell (you know, the actual FIRST Doctor. The one who was actually called the Doctor for the first time by Ian and Barbara, the one who got the TARDIS stuck as a police box in the first place, the one that every other instance of the show looking back over past lives showed to be the FIRST Doctor?) who then took off into hiding and this time the Time Lords just.... didn't do anything about it until Troughton summoned them in The War Games?

Anyway the vivisectionist was in charge of the Super CIA and hiding outside of the Universe all through the Time War etc, built the Flux and used it to wipe out half the universe to power her space station to go into the other universe the Doctor originally came from, but then it turned out the Sugar Skull Gang could just.... teleport outside of the Universe as well and killed her unceremoniously making her entire thing a complete waste of time, then kidnapped the Doctor leaving the universe still half destroyed. Then Time was a real thing that.... killed the Sugar Skull Gang? And they were happy about it? And told the Doctor it hated her and then... just hosed off? And the Doctor never mentioned the Flux again after making the next Flux wave go inside the Passenger Robot, literally dumped the locket with her memories of past lives into a trash can, then had three last random stories, got bodyswapped briefly with The Master then regenerated back into Tennant.

It also ends with literally half the universe destroyed, planets and all, and the Doctor apparently isn't traumatised by this in the 3 post-Flux episodes 13 is in; nor does she seemingly mourn the loss of trillions upon trillions.

Flux sucks cause there's a REALLY good Weeping Angels episode in that run, that is unfortunately tied to the rest of the Flux poo poo.

Let us never forget Chibnall just straight up deus ex machina'd the Passenger hoovering up a universe ending threat and that was the end of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7IEZ0bc3uk
tl;dr Chibnall is an absolute hack of a sci-fi writer, and Whittaker deserved better.

:cripes: