Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

No no, he went and picked up Rory to avoid that.

I knew someone was going to make a Rory joke.

Tornhelm posted:

RTD is gonna RTD, and apparently Disney Plus has some sort of creative input into the shows, so if you go in expecting stuff to be like 1 level above all the other trash Disney Plus shows like She Hulk & Secret Invasion you might enjoy yourself.

I like most Disney+ shows (Secret Invastion was a rare occasion where I didn't watch past episode one though) so I think I'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Edward Mass posted:

Plus, Chibnall made the Doctor a woman (and that was her sole defining characteristic).

That's not her sole defining characteristic! She also really really really hates anything gun-shaped.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The original version of AAISAT hadn’t got the console layering right, so Matt appears in front of it in one shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9wtQay5yu8

Hahaha well I suppose it's never stated Timelords obey the rules of layering perspective. They just like to pop in closer to the camera sometimes!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's not her sole defining characteristic! She also really really really hates anything gun-shaped.

She had like half an episode of looking like she was going to be some amazing mad steampunky mechanic type, building bonkers gadgets for stuff, but that seemed to drop down to normal background levels for the Doctor pretty quickly

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

gee I wonder why this video is suddenly relevant and trending again

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

lines posted:

This was an interesting watch for what they did and didn't include, especially re: Chibnall's era.

https://youtu.be/s46TZDTTFdM?si=jVZD-FA-bUkvN8Pt

Two minutes in and they claim no one knows Theta Sigma's name, ridiculous.

:v:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

lines posted:

This was an interesting watch for what they did and didn't include, especially re: Chibnall's era.

https://youtu.be/s46TZDTTFdM?si=jVZD-FA-bUkvN8Pt

Back to being the Last of the Timelords, but being the Timeless Child can gently caress off. Good video.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I got to watch The Daleks In Colour in the end and I’m here to inflict my scorching hot take on everyone as well as see what others think.

What I liked
  • The colourisation is really good and its awesome to get an idea of how it actually would have looked had they been able to film in colour at the time.
  • The editing up to the escape from the holding cell was surprisingly good and says a lot about the padding and generally relaxed pace of the earlier stories of the series, and is a decent springboard for newer viewers to get a look at classic tales.

What I didn’t like
  • Unfortunately I felt the editing completely went to poo poo once the Doctor and his companions escape from the holding cell, and it remains this way for the rest of the show. I think perhaps 75 minutes is just insufficient time to be able to squeeze a 3.5 hour story into, and perhaps 90 minutes would have worked a lot better. Although knowing the BBC that’s probably all they had the budget for. The editing is choppy and the story moves at such a breakneck pace there is no opportunity to build any kind of tension or take a breather. Perhaps the flashbacks were added to cover gaps in editing, but are they really necessary for events less than 20 minutes ago? Surely modern audience attention spans aren’t that bad?
  • The music. I actually liked it in the early part of the story as it just expanded on Tristram Cary’s original score along with some extra bits that felt quite at home in a 60’s Doctor Who story. Unfortunately the modern bombastic score that takes over later just doesn’t suit the show at all and honestly pulled me out the story at times with how over the top it was. Some parts felt like something you’d expect to hear in Mass Effect 2, with Ian Chesterton battling waves of Collector troops while trying to find his way back to the Normandy (Mass Effect 2: The Ian Chesterton Special Edition would unironically own btw).
  • Random Nick Briggs. I like the guy but his dalek voices stick out like a sore thumb and its jarring as hell when a dalek goes from sounding like Peter Hawkins, to Nick Briggs, and back to Peter Hawkins again during the same conversation. The additional/replacement dialogue just isn’t as good as the original.

One scene that stuck out in particular for me was when the daleks learn about the thal predicament while listening in on their captives. One dalek suggests they can do nothing and leave the thals to their fate, while another opines that the thals will not just allow themselves to starve to death, and that it was a good idea to preserve their captives and would be an even better idea to use them to bring the thals to the daleks. The scene ends with the daleks expressly looking to lull their captives into a false sense of security to help in whatever scheme they’re cooking up. To have this all replaced by a Nick Briggs dalek loudly laying out their entire plan to draft a letter while twirling its metaphorical moustache just isn’t anywhere near as good.

I know I’m not the target audience and it was a neat idea, but I think it would have been a lot better if they could have had a 90 minute runtime without the bombastic Murray Gold style score.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

[*]Random Nick Briggs. I like the guy but his dalek voices stick out like a sore thumb and its jarring as hell when a dalek goes from sounding like Peter Hawkins, to Nick Briggs, and back to Peter Hawkins again during the same conversation. The additional/replacement dialogue just isn’t as good as the original.
[/list]

Not Briggs, and I bet he's fuming tbh lmfao.

Good though, he gets too proprietary sometimes.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I didn't realize they were re-editing it, too. Sounds like it wasn't a particularly great execution, but The Daleks is probably one of the serials that could benefit most from a shorter runtime.

It's difficult because you're restricted to the existing footage, but re-editing old serials is an idea that appeals to me. I've always thought they should lean into the whole lost episodes thing and cut down on the runtime by popping up a title card that says THE DOCTOR and LEELA try and fail to escape. Bam, 5 minutes gone.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not Briggs, and I bet he's fuming tbh lmfao.

Good though, he gets too proprietary sometimes.

Wow really? Sure sounded like him - have they got another Dalek voice actor?

Rochallor posted:

I didn't realize they were re-editing it, too. Sounds like it wasn't a particularly great execution, but The Daleks is probably one of the serials that could benefit most from a shorter runtime.

It's difficult because you're restricted to the existing footage, but re-editing old serials is an idea that appeals to me. I've always thought they should lean into the whole lost episodes thing and cut down on the runtime by popping up a title card that says THE DOCTOR and LEELA try and fail to escape. Bam, 5 minutes gone.

The Pertwee 7 parters would greatly benefit from this I think. The amount of times they get captured, escape, captured again, escape etc in some of them is absurd. But I personally would prefer it to simply be a case of trimming and tightening the pacing as opposed to inserting new effects and dialogue.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 24, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Wow really? Sure sounded like him - have they got another Dalek voice actor?

It's David Graham, the original dude.

Honestly I was surprised too ngl

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hmm, I don’t think that’s right, I went back and checked the credits and Nick Briggs is credited as additional Dalek voices.

I figured during the episode he did try and mimic David Graham at some points. Kinda wish he’d done so during the modern series run actually, Dalek voices work a lot better when there’s obviously two different actors talking to each other instead of one dude just altering his pitch.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nick Briggs got an “Additional Dalek Voices” credit. He’s definitely in there.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
If that's true then he would be the oldest contributor to a doctor who at the age of ninety eight.
edit: David Graham that is.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

It’s loving wild that, for a show so entrenched in pop culture for the last 60 years, they can just ring up the original VA for the Daleks.

e: or maybe it wasn’t him. But apparently the guy is still working.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

is there anywhere in America I can see this new version of The Daleks? I looked on Disney, it wasn't there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was going off of this: https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2...-of-the-daleks/

I guess both he and Briggs contributed?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
23 hours and 56 minutes to go!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe I was just kind of blind to it during the Jodie era, but the RTD marketing machine is running at full blast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve seen that Ncuti clip from AAISAT a few times now over social media, and I tear up every time. There’s just something about it that plucks my heart strings. :unsmith:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Harlock posted:

Maybe I was just kind of blind to it during the Jodie era, but the RTD marketing machine is running at full blast.

You weren't blind to it, it was non existent.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, RTD was always better at this. During his tenure it always felt like there was something happening, be it the show itself airing, a trailer, the Christmas special, Torchwood, Totally Doctor Who, one of those CBBC animated shows, etc etc. And the beeb was always telling you those things were happening. They even got Big Finish actively in on things, with the Eighth Doctor Adventures getting broadcast on Radio 7 I think before they got released on CD?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, RTD was always better at this. During his tenure it always felt like there was something happening, be it the show itself airing, a trailer, the Christmas special, Torchwood, Totally Doctor Who, one of those CBBC animated shows, etc etc. And the beeb was always telling you those things were happening. They even got Big Finish actively in on things, with the Eighth Doctor Adventures getting broadcast on Radio 7 I think before they got released on CD?

It was more they made the stories with him and Susan Sheridan in FOR the radio, and then released them as audioplays. But yeah, when the RTD hype machine gets rolling, he never messes about.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I feel like my excitement level might be a little excessive, but I am so so looking forward to this. Like I can't believe we're going to get new doctor who incredibly soon. Favourite show in the world since I started watching in 05 when I was ten and I feel like that kid again.

So this isn't just me saying the same stuff over and over again here's a short clip of tennent being excited about the new tardis. Don't worry there are no spoilers!
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSNucw3Mj/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I'm so hyped :supaburn:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm happy that there is going to be new doctor who but it's so surreal that I can't get hype

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think I'll be able to finish my rewatch on time, just starting Day of the Doctor. I love that the BBC iPlayer just has it in the episode list where it's meant to go! Definitely worth hopping on VPN to use iPlayer over my other options.

My one beef is they don't often seem to want to autoplay next episode and I have to refresh to get episode list back, since it just eventually hides itself?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/reverend61a/status/1728082938061856811?s=46

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chibnall: I notice the Morbius "Doctors" aren't in there, I'm sure there must be a lot of anger about that online!
a tumbleweed tumbles by

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No Valeyard, Dreamlord, Curator, Timeless Child or Watcher 0/0

PriorMarcus posted:

I mean they did a real good job of reminding everyone the Doctor was going to be a woman, and that was about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm2PXshWC_0

I wish you had better scripts Jodie :negative:

Hype.

Going to rewatch Power of the Doctor and get prepared :boonie:

I missed out on Rise/Fall Fall/Rise ep chat before, but lol @ what a magnificent rise Power of the Doctor is over Legend of the Sea Devils.
I'm glad 13's run ended on a high note :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The quality shift between Eve of the Daleks, the Sea Devil one, and Power of the Doctor is a wild loving rollercoaster.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Isn't that a PC benchmarking program?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Just once I want the Watcher to inexplicably reappear, t-posing in the background somewhere, just doing what he does, watching.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Should’ve used the wax Tom.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And Five, Six, and Seven from the Five-ish Doctors with their screen-printed outfits :allears:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Diabolik900 posted:

Should’ve used the wax Tom.

I remember CRACKING up that they used Wax Tom as the figure for the last shot of the 50th with all the doctors lined up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

Back to being the Last of the Timelords, but being the Timeless Child can gently caress off. Good video.
I will be fine with the Timeless Child if it turns out to have actually been The Master, as somebody here suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's a lot of easy outs

The Master lied (what better way to mess with the Doctor than to dump their trauma off on them?)
The Matrix is flawed (has it ever not been?)
Something something machinations by other party (CIA, Shadow Proclamation, Great Intelligence, Absorbaloff...)