Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

(source)
Hooray! It's time again for the great Trad Games tradition; our 19th year of Trad Games Secret Santa! This year's theme is cyberpunk.

:siren:LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS ARE RUNNING NOW THROUGH DECEMBER 11th-ish! YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! READ THE RULES IN THIS POST AND THEN GO TO HERE!:siren:

Rules Quick-Reference
  1. Post you want to participate, in this thread, with your gift preferences (required), general location, and your solemn vow.
  2. Send an e-mail to me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com with your mailing address, SA username, whether or not you'll ship internationally, and any important info.
  3. Receive and read your confirmation email, which arrives within a couple of days.[/b]
  4. Check your inbox on Monday, November 27th for your Santee Assignment.
  5. Find your Santee's sign-up post in this thread, and read their gift preferences, if any.
  6. Send a gift worth at least $40 to your Santee. Mail it no later than December 15th, AND ensure it will arrive no later than December 19th. MAKE A POST when you send your gift!
  7. Post in the thread when you receive a gift (whether you open it or not). If you're not sure if it's a TGSS gift, then open it, don't wait till xmas. I need to know you got your thing, and so does your Santa!
  8. When you open your gift, post what you got! Take pictures if you can.
  9. If you get a lovely gift, or nothing arrives, or you have any sort of problem, email tgsecretsanta@gmail.com so I can fix it.
  10. Stick around in the thread till it's closed, or at least until mid-January. There might be a follow-up thing you need to do, or a question to answer, or de-grinching to do, or a survey or something.

(source)

OK on to all the :words:
What's Trad Games Secret Santa?
It's an anonymized gift exchange with a Trad Games theme. Goons sign up to trade presents with other goons. I handle the anonymization of assignments, sending your personal information to a total stranger, who will then mail you a gift. Similarly, I'll send someone else's info to you, and you have to send them a gift. Fun!

How do I do it?
Read all the STEP BY STEP RULES in this post (scroll down) and follow them carefully. If you have problems with reading comprehension maybe read it twice or have an adult read it to you. There's ten whole rules and you have to obey them and follow instructions. Each of the rules has a reason behind it so don't skip them.

So I am going to buy something for someone?
Yes. You have to get a gift for a Trad Games goon. Ideally your gift should be picked out specifically for the goon you're assigned. Since this is the Trad Games forum, we're generally focused on games-related stuff, but you kind of have free reign so it doesn't necessarily have to be a game gift... but it probably should, unless you're reasonably sure your non-game gift will delight your target Santee.

Signing up for this is a financial obligation. It is not okay to sign up and then disappear, because someone will send you a present, and then whoever your assignment is, gets grinched. Please take a moment to think seriously about this before you just mash the Reply button.

How much does it cost?
US$40 (or its approximate equivalent in Foreign Money), plus shipping. The shipping isn't part of the gift value because it's not your Santee's fault they live in New Zealand and they shouldn't have to have a worse gift just because you're 8000 miles away.

What if my Santee lives in an Exotic Foreign Land like Montenegro, Thailand, or Canada?
I try to match you to someone in the same country unless you volunteer for international gifting. If you are willing to cover the extra cost, then you can say so and I will randomly choose from among the volunteers where needed to gift someone overseas. You have the option to order directly from an online retailer in their country to avoid international shipping and get a faster delivery. If you don't want to get matched with a foreign goon, say so in your sign-up email.

This Year's Deadlines
Some time on Monday, November 27th, I will make assignments and email them out. You will then have until THE FRIDAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS which is Friday, December 22nd to get your gift delivered to your Secret Santee. To meet that deadline, I am asking that all gifts be mailed by December 15th. Keep in mind if you wait that long you'll have to pay a bunch for premium air mail even for domestic delivery. If you choose to wait until the last minute then you have chosen to send your gift sent on time by using an expensive shipping option.

What if I forget?
Don't forget. Bookmark this thread. You can of course make things easier on yourself by just buying something and shipping it immediately after you get your assignment.

What if I don't get a present because my Secret Santa is an rear end in a top hat?
This is called “being Grinched.” If you get Grinched, like an old-west Sheriff I will round up a posse of de-Grinchers and together we will cover for the rear end in a top hat out of the goodness of our hearts. We haven't actually had a grinch since 2016 so I think let's not dwell on it too much.

It's already after the deadline! Does that mean I can't participate?
You are in luck! After the first deadline, we run LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS!. Beginning November 27th, and continuing until roughly December 11th, we will have one or more extra bonus rounds. Each LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND will have from three to eight goons. Then I do a mini-gift-round assignment. You immediately fire off a Trad Games Present at your Santee, and they do the same! Since the pool of participants will be very small, the odds that multiple goons will have to ship internationally go up, though, so keep that in mind.

I'm rich and/or greedy. Can I send two gifts?
gently caress yes you can! Just let me know in your email (step 2) how many gifts you want to send and receive, and I'll make it happen. Each gift still has to meet all the standard requirements. Also you'll need to actually open gifts to you as soon as they arrive, so we can identify which of your Santas you've been Santeed by.

I only want specific kinds of stuff
That's fine. Just put your requests in your post when you sign up. There's no 100% guarantee, but really that's just like Christmas at home, isn't it? The worst case scenario is you get some $40 Thing that wasn't exactly what you wanted. That's not such a big deal.

(source)

I might get something I already have!
That's true. There's only one way to avoid this for sure, and that's by posting what you've already got. You can use boardgamegeek for that, or just make a list, or be more specific about what you do want. There's still a chance you get a duplicate of something you have, though. I can't think of a way to avoid it completely, so you need to be ready for this to possibly happen. This isn't being Grinched, sorry. It's just the nature of Secret Santa.

How about handmade gifts?
A lot of us really enjoy the personal touch of a handmade gift, so this might be a great idea. But there are hazards. If you haven't already made your gift, be sure you'll have plenty of time. The estimate of value of the thing you made isn't “what I'd probably sell it for if I sold this,” it's “what my giftee would probably pay for it if they bought it from anyone else.” For example, it takes a huge amount of time to knit a pair of socks; but socks are still only worth a couple dollars to most people, even if you sell your handmade socks for $25. If your giftee asked for a Dice Pouch, it's likely they're thinking of a typical dice pouch which usually costs like ten or fifteen bucks. So if you make one yourself, maybe you should fill it with some cool dice as well? Use your best judgment and run your plans past me if you have any doubt.

Etsy Problems
Lots of very nice and earnest people making handmade or 3d printed stuff earn most of their annual income in December. Unfortuantely, lots of them over-commit and fail to hit promised shipping dates. If you order something from Etsy, order it early, and if it doesn't actually ship with plenty of time, be ready to cancel your order and order a last-minute retail thing from a vendor that has it in-stock.

(source)

What about ebooks and Print-On-Demand services? PDFs and eBook versions of gaming products and POD services are not universally loved. I'd like you to please be certain that your giftee loves them before you send one. Check their post and if they don't mention it, contact me and I can confirm with them whether an ebook or printed-on-demand book is a wonderful or horrible thing, and get permission to share their email address with you. We need to confirm your e-delivery was e-delivered promptly because your Santee probably isn't expecting it. DTRPG has hosed up someone's order more than once, for example, so seriously: DTRPG and other e-delivered gifts require special attention and handling.

What if I've never posted in Trad Games?
Welcome aboard! If you have an SA account in good standing that existed before I posted this post, you're eligible to participate. Welcome to the club! Probably you'll get something TG related, though. Or possibly a dong. If you have a brand new SA account registered after this post was posted, then I'm worried about you. Let's have a chat and figure out if you're trustworthy.

TGSS Mailing List
Would you like to receive a reminder of TG Secret Santa next year? Send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and ask to be added to the official TGSS Mailing List. I will use this list to send out a heads-up each year when I post the new TGSS thread. I won't sell or share the list with anyone, and I will use BCC: so you won't be sharing your email address with the other goons on the list, either. Of course you can also remove yourself from the list at any time, just send me a request and I'll take you off.

:frogsiren:FULL STEP BY STEP RULES:frogsiren:
These are step-by-step instructions in full. Just do all of them, in order.

1. Announce your intention to participate in this here thread. Put the following information in BOLD so it's easy to see:
  • Your Gift Preferences. This means describe things and categories of things you'd love to receive. This is mandatory. You can be specific but it's better to be general. E.g., “I'd love a blueray movie” or “I need tabletop wargaming scenery” or “I'd like the hardback Kings of War 2nd Edition Rulebook.” You can also specify things you don't want, like “I have enough dice thanks” or “I hate animes” or “Do not give money to Wizards of the Coast” or whatever. The more help you give your Secret Santa, the higher the likelihood you will get something that you will actually like. If you just put “I'd love anything at all,” be prepared to receive anything, up to and including Dongs. You also might receive something you already own, especially if seems related to your post history.
  • Your General Location. You'll be telling me your mailing address via e-mail anyway, but goons like to know where in the world all the other goons are. It's funner that way. You can say things like “Chicago” or “Wisconsin” or “Australia,” however specific or general you feel like being.
  • Your Solemn Vow that you will keep up with the thread, send a gift on time, and will post in the thread when you get your present and tell us all what you got and who sent it to you.

2. Send an e-mail to me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com containing the following information:
  • “Secret Santa Sign Up” or similar in the subject line
  • Your REAL NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS. Someone is going to mail things to you and they need to know how. If someone mails a thing to this name and address and you don't get it because you moved or it's not a real address or the postal carrier refused to deliver a package addressed to “Weedlord Bonerhitler” or something, that's your fault and you will have self-Grinched which is the most embarrassing thing ever.
  • Your Something Awful login name. It should be obvious why I need this.
  • Your willingness or unwillingness to ship internationally. Please be specific if you have restrictions. For example, if you're only willing to ship within North America, please say so. Remember, shipping costs are in addition to the $40 gift guideline.
  • Anything else of importance. Special information might include a list of your mortal enemies which I had better not match you with, a date after which you will be at a different address, your allergy to cheese, or whatever. I promise not to match you (as Santa or Santee) with anyone you don't want to be matched with, and I will pass along any messages to your Santa or Santee that you need passed along. You can also ask questions timidly in this email instead of boldly in the thread, if you prefer.

3. Check for a confirmation email from tgsecretsanta@gmail.com
Everyone who signs up will get a confirmation email within a short amount of time (usually within a day or two). If you don't get one, check your spam filters and then let me know and I'll troubleshoot the issue. Your confirmation email is sent at the same time that I put you on the Spreadsheet of Cheer, so it's important.

4. Wait until Monday, November 27th and then check your inbox. That is the day I will close registration for the main round, and assign names using a secret method. I will post in the thread as I get these assignments out.

You must keep your Santee's personal information secret and private. Don't post or forward or copy their real name, other fake name(s), address, or email address in the thread or anywhere else. Don't try to go visit your Santee, that's creepy. This is important. Respect your Santee's privacy.

5. Check the thread, find your Santee's first post, and read up on their greedy demands. And then buy them a present and mail it. The Officially Recommended Spending Amount is US$40. It is OK to spend a bit more than that if you feel generous. It is OK to spend slightly less than that if you have the perfect thing which costs $38.95, or whatever. But it is not OK to Grinch your Santee by sending them a used paperback book and $8 of pokemon cards.
The only truly universal gifts are love and money. For everything else, it's best to consider whether your amazing gift idea would actually be delightful to your Santee. Many people like to leave their options wide open and you can feel free to send whatever you like to them. Others have a more focused domain of Trad Gaming they enjoy, and it's best to try and fit your present into that domain if you can.
If you get stuck on gift ideas, send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and I will help you out. I can ask your Santee questions while preserving the fog of war, and I also am full of great ideas for the difficult-to-shop-for.

Also, you must check with me (so I can check with your Santee) before sending food or alcoholic beverages to your Santee. I can check if they're allergic or a recovering alcoholic etc.

Sometimes you have a thing that you already own that you want to send, that's OK too, just try and figure out what that thing would be worth, roughly (in its present used condition of course), and make sure your giftee is delighted by your largesse instead of saddened by your cheapness.

(source)

6. Send a gift to your Santee in a timely manner
In today's heavily-impacted logistics hellworld, shipping is especailly turbofucked. If you procrastinate and delay, you are still on the hook for on-time delivery, and that will mean having to select a more expensive shipping option. It's OK to take a few days or even a couple weeks if you need it to get your awesome present together, but keep your eye on the calendar and don't screw yourself over by waiting too long! If you can't afford like $100 for next-day shipping the last week before Christmas, then don't procrastinate!

If you purchase a gift online, verify that the item is actually in stock. Check and make sure it's shipped, not just “ordered.” Get a tracking number if you can, and check it every day. You can send me your tracking number if you want, but it's up to you to monitor it and see that your gift got delivered. I can't monitor 100 tracking numbers. Let me know right away if there's a problem or delay.

If a gift receipt is an option, please get one. I know it's not always available, but it's best to make sure that if your Santee already has one of what you got him or her, he can return the new thing and/or exchange it for something else that is great. This isn't a rule, just a preference.

POST INDICATING YOUR PRESENT HAS BEEN SHIPPED BY NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, DECEMBER 15th, 2023. Your gift has to be delivered by Friday, December 22nd. To help meet that deadline, I am asking that all gifts be mailed by December 15th. Keep in mind that one week for delivery is quite unlikely unless you paid extra for expedited delivery.
If you have some reasonable issue that's OK, come post about it in the thread or send me an e-mail or ask your Red Cross coordinator at the disaster relief shelter to send me an e-mail. In this modern world there are very few legit excuses for being unable to communicate for an extended period. You can avoid the risk of an issue by just shipping a gift within a few days of getting your Santee assignment.
Military goons: if you might possibly be deployed, you should let me know in advance and figure out how you will both send and receive your gift and make posts about that. Being deployed is not an acceptable excuse for failing to get a gift to your Santee or going AWOL on communications.
Overseas shippers: if you are shipping something overseas, realistically you should give it at least three weeks for shipping! Strongly consider ordering something from a vendor in your target country to avoid long shipping times and the uncertainty of customs.

7. Post in the thread when you receive a gift
You can open it right away or you can wait till your preferred present-opening moment and open it then. Regardless, you need to post in the thread as soon as your gift has arrived. If you get a box and you're not sure if it's your Secret Santa gift, then you need to open it and find out. If you are a double or triple-gifter, you need to open the gift immediately when it arrives so we know which Santa's gift you got.
This way your anxious Santa knows you got your present, and I can register that they have fulfilled their duty by putting a symbol into a box on a spreadsheet, which I loving love doing, you don't even know. Please don't blow this off. Every year a few people dutifully send their gifts, and then disappear from the thread, and we are left with no easy way to confirm that they also received what they were supposed to. That's not being a Grinch, but it is a source of anxiety for your Santa and for me and that's not very nice.

(source)

8. Post what you got!
Whenever you get around to opening your gift, please let us know what you got. Take a picture! You should also say thank you and describe your joy. Half the fun of giving a gift is experiencing your Santee's pleasure. THIS IS AN ACTUAL RULE, NOT JUST A SUGGESTION. Saying “thank you” is the socially expected response to a gift, OK?. Some participants never bother and that's rude.

9. If you got a lovely gift, or didn't get a gift, send me an email immediately.
Email me at tgsecretsanta@gmail.com if you get something lousy. That doesn't just mean you got a nice approximately $40 thing that you didn't especially want: unless you specifically said “I don't want RPGs” you can't really complain that you got an RPG. But, you do need to let me know if your Santa has not lived up to the spirit and intent of the rules, OR – and this has actually happened – if your Santa was victimized by a shady retailer who has ripped both you and your Santa off.

(source)

10. Please stick around in the thread until a week or two into January, or until I close the thread
People sometimes get stuff a little late, like when they go back home from their holiday travel or whatever, and it sucks when they have nobody to share their fun with when they open their gift. There are sometimes last-minute hiccups and if someone gets Grinched, I'll be asking for volunteer de-grinchers. This is likely to happen in January, if it happens.

(source)

Disclaimers
Participation in this event is voluntary. I am not employed by Something Awful LLC, Jeffery of YOSPOS, or any of its affiliates, sponsors, advertisers, subsidiaries, associates, officers, enlisted men, serfs, or holdings (hereafter referred to collectively as SA). My volunteer position as a moderator does not in any way imply or bind SA or myself in a legal way to any kind of responsibility or accontability for what happens with secret santa gift exchanges conducted on the forums. This event is in no way endorsed or sponsored by SA. If you get ripped off by another goon, neither SA, nor I, can promise you relief. Nobody's insurance is covering this. Any supportive or punitive action taken by SA or its moderators or administrators, including stickying threads and punishing bad goons, is purely voluntary and ad-hoc and is not a promise or representation that SA is actually responsible or required to take such action, nor a promise or representation that it will act in a similar manner in the future, present, or past. There is no gold fringe on our flag and we decline to create joinder. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

I promise to take reasonable and prudent steps to keep your personal information confidential. It is secured by the use of a reasonably obscure password on the tgsecretsanta@gmail.com gmail account. I also copy your your real name and email address to my Spreadsheet of Cheer which is stored on a reasonably secure computer behind a firewall. Participation requires that I send your user name and your physical mailing address to another person via email, and I cannot ensure that that person will do the right thing and keep your info private nor that their email account is secure. I also cannot guarantee that my email account or computer is impervious to being hacked or compromised. Obviously anyone who shares or abuses your private information is an rear end in a top hat and if I find out he or she did that and can confirm it then they go right on the poo poo list immediately and forever, and I will also ban the poo poo out of them and recommend the admins permaban them. But you must agree not to hold me or SA financially, legally, ethically, or spiritually responsible if that happens, nor view this statement as a legal promise to do such things. Any further relief you seek will be between you and the rear end in a top hat and your respective lawyers, basically. Participating means you agree to these rules and conditions and that you understand and accept the risks.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
On the dark streets of Neo North Pole, you die a giftee or live long enough to be a giftee.

Pennsylvania, USA

Desires: I am deep in Battletech's mechanical jaws. Force Packs of any sort are great, as are Iron Wind Metals funky miniatures. However, mini painting supplies/modeling stuff of any sort is also great. I always need more paint brushes!

The softback Technical Readout/TRO books are a guilty pleasure I can't justify buying myself, but are floppy, floppy bits of nostalgia I wouldn't mind seeing.

Any of the big beautiful neoprene battlemaps EXCEPT Desert/Grasslands A would be great, as would the Hextech terrain.

For particularly generous santas, I don't have the Clan Invasion boxset yet.

Solemn Oath: Only corpos grinch, and I'm a neocybercore street punk for life.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 4, 2023

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yes hello I am back again for presents.

Preferences
I've had good success with book requests, primarily sci-fi and fantasy fiction! I also enjoy tasty food, treats or low-prep preferred. TTRPG stuff is always appreciated, but I have no local groups and no in-person games to play so they will see no use at all, alas.

Steam games also work! Though I prefer at least one physical component to any gift, as I like opening boxes.

The Vow
Also, I shall never grinch.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I love the idea of giving someone weird hipster trad games poo poo.

Vow:
Only corp trash grinch so this Jim Carey cosplay is ready to hack your Noel.

Generalized anxiety location:
Rochester NY

Gift Preferences:
I am a worthless read game hipster who has been working on finding the perfect 100 game collection to teach what board games are capable.

At the moment, I am giving away games more than I am buying them….at record levels.

So I’m interested in small games, hipster game garbage, inserts, and just sort of alternate ephemera for games (coins, quick rules, 3D printed materials, and general upgrades).

Can send you my bgg collection if you are interested.

PuttyKnife fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 4, 2023

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
Generalized location:
North Florida
Gift Preferences:
oldhammer 40k style miniatures(3rd party or not, printed, anything! I just love the rogue trader style! neat scratchbuild stuff is also welcome! for reference my army is blood angels)/ old TTRPG gamebooks or supplements from say pre 2000 or so(they always give me writing inspiration)/books on the history of TTRPGS or personal history to one writer(the elfish gene, of dice and men, empire and imagination, the art and arcana were my faves)/ I also love classic scifi and fantasy and have been wanting to read book of the new sun for some time now.

MY VOW, MY WORD, MY HONOR!
I WILL NOT GRINCH
I WILL GIVE A WORTHY GIFT TO A GOON(UNFORTUNATELY NOT INTERNATIONALLY)
I WILL REGULARLY CHECK THE THREAD
I WILL EMAIL AND SEND MY PACKAGES IN A TIMELY MANNER
I WILL HELP DEGRINCH A MOFO
AND ON CHRISTMAS MORNING IF I STILL DRAW BREATH ILL POST THE GIFT I GOT AND THANK THE GOON WHO GAVE IT TO ME WITH A BIG SMILE ON MY OGRYN-ESQUE FACE

LurchinTard fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 14, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm gonna sign up for this!

I would like Orky fingz. I just started painting some Boyz on a whim, and now I've got the bug!

I'm in Connecticut, USA.

I solemnly swear I will not gently caress goons and grinch my Santee on penalty of permaban.

:toxx:

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
YES!
Once again, my favorite time of the year!
How many years has it been?

Gift Preferences:
I mostly play the following systems and forces:
40K: Guard, Orks, Deathwatch, Genestealer Cult, Imperial Agents
FoW: Poles, Soviets, Germans, Italians
TY: East Germans, West Germans, Iranians
BT: Taurians, Hell's Horses, Filtvelt, Mercs
SWL: Alliance, Empire
Your gift can add to any of these forces or help me start a new project. I'm considering starting an ARVN or PAVN force for 'Nam.
I also enjoy cool things for Guard, Inquisition, and post-apocalyptic costuming (pins, patches, pouches, etc.).
Dice are always welcome too. Neat snacks, even a dong are awesome.

Vow:
I WILL NOT GRINTCH!
This I do solemnly swear.

ToyotaThong fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 14, 2023

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I intend to participate fully in this thread and, in fact, am excited to do so.

Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

I focus on 28mm miniatures games. Could always use new enemies for Silver Bayonet or Last War. Also could use terrain.
Or Battletech. Always Battletech.

I Solemnly Vow that I will keep up with the thread, send a gift on time, and will post in the thread when I get my present and tell you all what I got and who sent it to me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Took a year off last year but I'm back and ready for tactical deployment of holiday cheer.

Northern Germany, EU. Who knows, maybe we'll get more than a small handful of Eurogoons this year?

Preferences:
RPGs are my main jam, and you can find a list of the systems and supplements that I own on my RPGGeek profile (check comments for my owned supplements). I'm open for pretty much anything except 5e -- the only thing is that I'm really not so hot on PDFs and would very much prefer dead trees (POD is fine as well). Highlights would be Pathfinder 2e, OSR supplements/zine collections, chasing the white whale that is finishing out my FFG Star Wars collection, or general GM tip/adventure authoring stuff, but pretty much anything goes (except 5e really, which I'm not very into). Not like I think it'll come up but I'd also mention that I prefer my dead trees to be in English, not German :)

Board games/card games are really good too! Specifically anything that is co-operative instead of competitive, especially so if it can be enjoyed as a two-player experience. Also really into finding games that non-boardgamey nerd types can easily get into for our non-gaming friends. My BGG profile here will give you an idea of what we already have.

For non-gaming stuff I'm into just sort of general cool poo poo, idk, surprise me. I fuckin' love cool maps if you want to go the poster route, or pretty much anything to decorate our new place.

Vow:
I have never grinched before and it would be insane to start now. I solemnly swear to shower my santee with holiday cheer!

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 27, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lets do this!

Preferences:
I think I have plenty of board games and minis at the moment, but maybe some supplies or games-adjacent content would be cool; things like stickers, paints, brushes, interesting hobby tools, hobby-related art pieces?

I like metal (music) and cute things (general), i like anything really related to cute goblins or skeletons or dogs, cats are okay.

Obviously won't say no to miniatures, I just have a bit of a backlog. Maybe something non-GW? If not, more Grey Knights or Stormcast Eternal, or hell even Tau or Skitarii might be interesting, or start me on a trip down to the golden throne with some Custodians.

Other ideas would be some playmats of some sort for wargaming, or some sort of terrain piece, scifi or fantasy. Maybe some interesting dice? Dice Storage? Dice jail?

Hell, I would be even interested in nerdy jewellery, I have some d20 and d6 dice earrings so something like that is cool too

If none of that works, some solitare-style board gaming is interesting, here is my bgg link so you can see what I already have: BGG

Vow:
I will not grinch and have participated several years now without grinching :)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I loved doing this before so well up for doing it again

Scotland in the EU UK.

I am happy to ship to the US etc though.

Preferences :

Boardgames! I love boardgames of all types. I do have a decent collection that I will list here but anything odd or good for 2 playerd would round out my collection nicely. Ive included a link to my collection here which might help.

https://geekgroup.app/users/aramoro/collection

Vow

I have never and will never grinch at Christmas.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 28, 2023

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
It's that time of the year again!

I'm Generally Located in Missouri, in the middle of the USA.

My Gift Preferences are:

*Blood Bowl (Forge World Star Players, here is my current "checklist"; the 4 Chaos Warriors (Chaos Hands) from the Greebo Cruelty Team (don't ask me how you'll get just them though, and I have plenty of their beastmen); 3rd party bleachers and fans; something else really cool and oddball?)
*Emperor's Children Horus Heresy (anything except Lucius and Fulgrim at this point would be fine)
*Tiny planes for Legions Imperialis / Aeronautica Imperialis (specifically, anything for Legiones Astartes or Divisio Aeronautica except Thunderhawks). I could also use a set of tokens and an Area of Engagement (I'd love a Vanaheim Area of Engagement, but that's super pricey) and some bases. The Legiones Astartes and Divisio Aeronautica Cards ("Aircraft and Aces") would be cool too, but they're also hard-to-find and/or pricey
*I still need the rest of The Badger Deck (which I'd received in a previous TGSS), which would be the 11-20 cards, which could be an idea along with some sort of storage box (for the entire set of 443 cards).
*Kings of War Clash of Kings 2024
*I'm curious about Mantic's Armada also, but I think anything there would be out of the price range unless you found a stealdeal.
*I have the Warhammer Quest Cursed City Expansions, but I'm missing most of the miniatures needed, so I could use those. To wit: Radukar the Beast; Lady Annika the Thirsting Blade; Kritza the Rat Prince; Wight King; a Grave Guard unit; a Vargheists unit; a Dire Wolves unit; a Fell Bats unit (I guess I could also say I'm involuntarily starting a Vampire Counts army?)
*Apparently there is a Warhammer Underworlds scenario that uses a Fomoroid Crusher, so that could go on the list.
*The Statuesque Miniatures Cloth Goblins are a possibility.
*I collect tarot cards and playing cards, but I have a lot of the latter and several of the former, so finding a nice set I don't have might be risky.
*I'm a fan of a well-crafted board game or ttrpg (usually osr or "indie" style), but I have a lot, so again there's a lot of chance of duplication. I started working on my collection on bgg, but it's (a) not done (still working) and (b) now unmanageably large. There are some wishlist things in there though.
*Failing anything else, dice or dice storage are usually cool; unique or stylish minis can be nifty too (I've always liked Stonehaven for that, although I have a lot of their stuff - not the really old stuff, just the medium old stuff).

If I'm able to come up with more ideas, I will update.

My Solemn Vow is that I will keep up with the thread, send a gift on time, and will post in the thread when I get my present and tell us all what I got and who sent it to me.

thegodofchuck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 23, 2023

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

I love TGSS!

Gift Preferences
I'm being lured back into the Warhammer/40k orbit by the twin siren songs of Kill Team and Orks.(I currently have: Kommandos) Anything Orky, to include 3rd party models (pirate and/or soviet-style orks are especially cool), will be welcome! I'm definitely going to play a game of Kill Team/40k/etc and need to be prepared. Further in that vein, the Kill Team Octarius book giving me the full Kommando rules would be helpful, as would similarly-themed terrain. Bits, 3rd party kits, historical vehicle models of appropriate scale, etc to do orky kitbashes would also be a blast to get.

I've eyed the Middle Earth Strategy Battle game as well, and would enjoy something pushing me in that direction. I've always liked the Rohirrim in the books and movies, but anything you think is cool and is also non-elfy would likely be right up my alley.

Texture paints, brushes, Tamiya extra-thin cement, and other hobbying nice-to-haves would be, well, nice to have. (I love my new fancy Tamiya clippers!)

D&D adventures would also be appreciated, as my family has gotten into D&D over past year-ish and as the DM with less time than I'd like, someone else having done most of the work in coming up with adventures/campaign.

Neoprene gaming mats for either mini-based wargames or for D&D would be great, and definitely beat the kitchen table-style ground our guys currently battle on.

General Location
I'm in Maryland, US.

Solemn Vow
I solemnly vow that I will not grinch. I have never grinched, and I will never grinch, so help me Santa Silverhand.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Back again, going to hack Santa's network and install a cheerworm to the central server.

Gift Preferences
Board Games, anything relatively new I probably don't have since I've been cutting back except for Kickstarters/Gamefounds. Anything that's the new it game or relatively recent it game would be perfect. I like deckbuilders, worker placement, party games, and engine builders mostly. Local snacks, weird gaming stuff, and spice mixes for cooking are also good.

General Location
I'm in San Bernardino County, California

Solemn Vow
Haven't grinched won't grinch

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 14, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wrap the box i'm gifting in
Mail the goods i'm gifting in
Deck the halls i'm gifting in
merry flows

First timer. I am located in New Jersey, USA.

In terms of preferences I love weird old RPG books, especially like, obscure sourcebooks. More modern stuff is good too. I am particularly interested in old World of Darkness (especially Werewolf), Ars Magica, GURPS, Cyberpunk 2020/RED, Call of Cthulhu, and (especially) Paranoia. I can also be brought around on 2nd ed AD&D. More recent books in these veins are also welcome; if you want to PM me to see if I already have a particular thing, "go for it."

I would also love a painted Warjack from Warmachine if someone has one laying around they have no use for. A specific request, but a heartfelt one.

I swear, on my honor, my karma, my money, and most importantly my Posts that I shall not "Grinch."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks everyone who has signed up so far! I am caught up on emails.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

santasantasantasantasantasantasantasantasantasantasantasantasantasantasanta:yayclod:

Gift Preferences
I like all kinds of things, from miniatures and terrain, to board games, to RPGs (that I never get to play but at least get to read I actually have a regular game of 5E going now! :unsmith:), to game adjacent things like gear, merch, and gundams and other hobby kit stuff. I prefer physical things, but digital is fine too if that's what works for my santa. This is my BGG collection/wishlist, this is my DTRPG wishlist and all the RPGs I own that have a listing there should be on my Goodreads (years later and DTRPG still doesn't have a way to share what I already have, and tbh I should probably just put a list on my minis spreadsheet if I get time this month), and this is my roughly up to date miniatures collection not including big rear end boxes of Bones 2/3/4/5/6 so many bones. Surprises, local delights, home made demonstrations of your skills/passions, food and alcohol, et al, are all fine with me, I mean there's lots of things that I don't even know I want yet :buddy: All parcels will be inspected by Junior Customs Officer Bonnie

Solemn Vow
Grinch?! Where?! :tfrxmas:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 10, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Really enjoyed doing this last time

Gift Preferences
Mostly a board gamer, my collection can be found at here, I like nice and crunchy board games mostly, but also just board games of all flavours. Nice art is a bonus. But also I like upgrading my board games, or improving their organization. I also do D&D, though not sure what I'd want from that sort of space, perhaps new campaign books (I own Princes of the Apocalypse and the Saltmarsh one), maybe some real nice fancy dice, or a dice rolling mat that can be stored easily.

I also have a very specific request for the Archipelago solo expansion, which is the longest shot but thought I'd throw it out there if actual Santa Claus is in the chat.

General Location
Ontario, Canada

Solemn Vow
Grinches get stinches

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
Always a yearly highlight!

Gift Preferences
I'm really just in this for the fun so pretty much anything will be appreciated. That said, weird, local, home/hand-made stuff is super appreciated. Same goes for solo rpgs, gamebooks, and setting guides (especially ones with lots of maps in them!). Finally, over the past year I've gotten into 40k, reading a bunch of novels and building a few space marine models. But I've not worked up the courage to paint any of them yet...

Your General Location
Brabant, The Netherlands

Your Solemn Vow
Ik zweer dat ik Grinch niet doe

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dear Santa,

I'm DigitalRaven, and I'm a Santaholic. It's been 8 years since my first TGSS, and I have no desire to break that streak.

Gift Preferences
Board games! Things that play well at two players are best, as are things with a strong solo mode. A small form factor is also a blessing given how small my place is.

This is my BGG collection, but I tend to like deck builders and narrative things, frequently with cards — Star Realms/Hero Realms, Villagers, Streets, Arkham Horror LCG, and many and varied Tiny Epic games are always a hit. I've heard good things about the Final Girl series, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

I also love art/setting books that I can use for game inspiration — previous TGSS gifts have included The Worlds of Android, and The World of Might and Magic, which were amazing! I like weird and wonderful stuff as well, things that spark the imagination: obscure roleplaying games, interesting tarot decks, weird bits of art, that kind of thing. More Escher than Geiger, more Carcosa than Cthulhu, but anything that'll get my brain flowing.

I'm a big Transformers fan and a bit of a Gundam nut, so plastic robots in kit or toy form are always welcome. Scifi stuff in general is pretty awesome, and I'm good with dongs. I mean, I'm good with receiving dongs. I've not had any complaints about anything else I do involving dongs, but that's not TGSS-related.

General Location

:scotland:

Solemn Vow

I shall not grinch lest I be drowned in the spunk from the seven unholy testes of mighty Vectron.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hi prospective Santas and Santees! Love doing this, it's always great fun.

Gift Preferences
Board games! This is my collection. Looking for games that work both for 2 player and 4+. While I like crunchy games, my group doesn't like trying to spend the first 2 hours of a game on set-up and learning the rules, so mid-levels crunch is more preferred.

Cool larp poo poo. Rings, cool medallions, funky looking blank books, chests and stuff like that are great. If you think it'd look cool in a fantasy setting, I welcome it.

Setting/art books, interesting to read rpg books are both welcome. I'm running a rl cyberpunk RED game right now that I got gifted last year.

No minis or TCGs please. I play magic online and limited in person so I don't have to have a billion cards cluttering up my house

Solemn Vow
I was grinched the first year I participated in this, and it sucks. I will never grinch them. Grinches get Stitches.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far! I've finally gotten caught up with emails. We've got about 20 people exchanging about 25 gifts so far! We had 30 people exchanging about 35 gifts in the main round last year, with about 2 weeks still to get signups, so that's not a bad pace at all.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I was expecting a whole lot more participants, ngl.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's still time, and we also do LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS every year after the first deadline and those usually attract a few people and some repeat players. That said, participation is way down from its heyday: I've been running this thing since 2011 and it peaked in participation in 2013 with just about 95 main round gifts exchanged and about 24 additional lightning round gifts exchanged. This roughly corresponds to the gradual drop in posting in TG overall I think, just our dead gay forums dying really. But as long as at least three people sign up I'm gonna keep doing it I think.

There's always a little surge of signups the last couple days before the deadline, too. People wait to see what their budgets are like, and to start getting into the holiday spirit, and that sort of thing.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Why, yes, that is Glemdenning

Chooms. The winter landscape glistens under its blanket of snow like freshly slotted chrome. *draws heavily on a cigar, breath and smoke frosting the air like new snow*

It's time to get them eddies.

Its time to gift.

Gift Preferences
I like to make things, so stuff like legos, mechano, kits, gunpla, etc are always a fun and welcome gift.
I love puzzles, not so much jigsaw, but like, escape rooms, lil things you have to solve like the houdini water torture puzzle, that sort of thing.
I have many many board games so please see our list, but anything not on our list is fair game. https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/amandaofdoom
I also like tiki stuff a lot (like the movement of the 30s and 40s) so anything you'd see at trader vic's is pretty rad.
(edit) I am also down for sci fi mini terrain that isn't GRIMDARK GOTHIC CATHEDRALS (/edit)
I like jerky. Jerky is rad.
I am now heavily addicted to Final Fantasy XIV and everything associated with it.
I have a cat, an 9 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a wife.

Half a klick inside the Gilbert Barrens in the Arizona desert.

Solemn Vow
I have never grinched a runner, nor would I ever dump my team in the cacky like that.

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far! I've finally gotten caught up with emails. We've got about 20 people exchanging about 25 gifts so far! We had 30 people exchanging about 35 gifts in the main round last year, with about 2 weeks still to get signups, so that's not a bad pace at all.

YAY!!! this is my first secret santa( I did one on the 4chan /k/ board way back in 2021 where I ended up getting a book about the chechen war that was awesome) and its so cool to know so many people are getting involved. my favorite part of the thread was seeing everyone posting what they got and thanking their santa and I'm really looking forward to posting and seeing my santa-ee(hopefully) enjoy their gift

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I really like that part to, and it's part of the rules that you're supposed to stick around and share what you got so there will be plenty of that!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'll probably join, but I have to make sure I have the Cashola for an appropriate gift.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's a good idea. Nobody should like, spend their last $40 in the world on secret santa. Please feed your kids.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Whew, was worried I missed the cut-off—thankfully had the wrong Monday in mind! Definitely want in on the magic of TGSSmas.

Below are things I’d like (books: digital preferred over physical, but either are fine):
  • Night's Black Agents: Looking to dip my toes into this with eye toward tackling the Dracula Dossier. Think my only DD gaps are the Edom Files, Edom Field Manual, and Hawkins Papers; any non-DD NBA expansion supplements also welcome! (I have both Solo Ops supplements though)
  • Dice: Cool/unusual/just darn pretty dice are always nice.
  • The One Ring: Only missing Tales From the Lone-lands.
  • Middle-earth Strategy Battle Game: Looking to start a Rivendell or Easterling army.
  • Blade Runner: Would love the Fiery Angels set.
  • Tolkien/Middle-earth: Artwork, figures/models, any of the History of Middle-earth books (except Morgoth’s Ring, already got that one).
  • 40K: Any non-model/non-book tchotchkes (especially Mechanicus, Sisters of Battle, or Custodes) like mugs, pins, bookmarks, etc.
  • Terrain: 40K Kill Team or Middle-Earth Strategy squad appropriate stuff.
  • Dune: Have loved since a lad, always open to anything Dune-related. I do have all the current RPG supplements and Frank Herbert novels (i.e. the only canon ones).
  • Anything Arthurian or medieval (including grammars for medieval languages).
  • Weird & Wondrous Things: Cool or oddball stuff, from weird but good indie RPGS (or enjoyably bad ones), minis, coffee mugs, really anything.

General Location: Silicon Valley

Solemn Vow: Never Grinch you up, never gonna let you down

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 25, 2023

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Screw it, I gotta sign up for this again.

Interests: Weird miniatures are always a favorite. I’m just starting in on some WWII Finns in 28mm, but anything that is neat and interesting is always welcome. I tend to collect oddities and old minis, so anything is welcome. I also play a ton of Blood Bowl, but don’t need any more teams - sideline figures like coaches, refs, and others would be really cool.

For non-gaming stuff, I appreciate handmade stuff, art, and anything really, really gay. Patches for my angry punk lesbian denim jacket are also more than welcome, because adding weird patches from a Secret Santa would be cool.

Oath of Non-Grinchitude: I do so solemnly vow to deliver cheer without fear, and I do so by the honor of my tiny dogs.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
God I love TGSS but Imma be in the middle of moving right before the holidays so I probably won't be able to participate as much this year.

Interest: General TG and Geek stuff, this year I'm requesting things that are light-weight and/or easy to pack and move. I'll be moving right before the big day, so expedient delivery will be necessary.
Edit: Moving day is Dec 20.

Things I love:
  • Chewbacca
  • Orks
  • Meat

Things I don't like/want
  • WotC DnD stuff
  • GG DCC stuff (I already own it all)
  • Plushies
  • More dice
  • Candy or Sugary Snacks

Vow: Grinches are bitches and I ain't no bitch

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 26, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

gently caress yeah, get me in on this action!

Interests: Literally anything that isn't intentionally lovely. I enjoy the creativity of a gift more than the actual thing. I'd especially enjoy anything handmade, antique, or obscure.

If you want more structure than that:

I collect Xiangqi boards.

Anything Modiphius 2D20 except Conan, John Carter, or Dune (I own those lines completely)

Speaking of which, any Dune themed things (not the board games, I have those).

My buddies have been trying to get me into Shatterpoint and MCP. (If you go this route I'd prefer Shatterpoint).

Edit: oh, and Lorcana if you win the lottery.

Oath: Grinch = :toxx:

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 21, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ok sweet we have an ad now, thanks to mister jeffrey of yospos
I made it all by myself

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I toss my hat in the ring at least 2 or 3 times. Seriously. I like sending poo poo out, it feels good. I'm in Utah and have 0 fucks to give in terms of where I send. I work for USPS and will ship anywhere.

I love all things Epic 40k (Imperialis whatever the gently caress it's called now) and anything related to Titanicus as well like campaign books or whatever. poo poo, I'd even be tickled with STL's or whatever to print.
Epic size terrain? Believe it's 8mm or 10mm

Books! Choose your own adventure or whatever the hell you like to read. Seriously.
(I have the Ryan North Shakespeare funny style choose your own adventure books as well as the one...can't remember the name...your a stuffed bunny surviving a Zombie apocalypse and everyone is human)

Dice? Why the poo poo not, whatever dice you love the look of. I'm a big word bearer fan because I am a traitor through and through.
(D6's are my main type for gaming but I wouldn't turn down some nice D&D ones fun colours)

Board games? I love board games or card games. I'll post my list of what I have but anything deep is A+ in my book. Player count doesn't matter. I play with 1-6 frequently
Link to BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/292020/current-boardgames?page=3 I believe it's mostly current.

I also love Gravity Falls and I have 0 regrets lol

Vow I vow to keep my Oath and gift whoever, wherever they are. Sign me up 3 times or whatever we need. I love sending stuff out

If people want poo poo printed, hit me up. I just wanna share the love

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 2, 2023

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
living in mormonville and being a die-hard word bearer is pretty funny, I wont lie.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
I see my stealth was good enough to beat the passive perception of the thread!

Gift preferences: I play 5e, so DnD Accessories are good! Do you have a 3d printer? Fairy Adventurers! there are no official models, so Ive had to resort to etsy in the past :(. Still not sure? Dice I have many dice, and had to upgrade my dice bag to hold more, which means i need MORE DICE to fill my bag!

Vow: The fey have no use for lies, the gift shall be sent. 50/50 Chance on Tuesday because I have AL on Monday.

E: Current Status: Shipped!

Tnega posted:

Gift Received!

Tnega fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 6, 2023

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Haven’t done this for a few years cause life has gotten in the way, but I’m back. I’m pretty easy:
  • Anything GURPS is always an easy win.
  • Battletech is good too (mechs, lances, terrain, anything but the box sets). It’s around 6mm or 1/265ish scale-wise if you’re unfamiliar.
  • Hobby accessories such as crafting/painting supplies are never amiss.
  • Love me some board/card games - light to crunchy, worker placement to drafting, and anything in between. If it’s portable, that’s a bonus but not a requirement.
  • Quality speculative fiction reading isn’t bad.
  • Handmade stuff and/or personal passions welcome!
  • Hell, even general tabletop stuff like cool-rear end dice is enjoyable.

I’m in Florida but am fine with shipping internationally! I’ve been part of the TG community here for almost 20 years at this point, so you will get a gift.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's great to have you back!

Tomorrow is the deadline for the main round! The exact cutoff time will depend on my day, which is shaping up to be somewhat chaotic, but I will try to leave it till later in my day to let any final stragglers get in. I'll post in the thread when I start doing assignments and sending out those emails.

As of right now we have 27 people signed up to exchange 33 gifts.

Last year we had... 27 people... signed up to exchange uh... 33 gifts. Huh. Well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK! I'm declaring the cutoff!

I am going to start processing the Spreadsheet of Cheer. This will take me a while. I'll try to get all the assignments out tonight. Look for an email in the next couple of hours. After that's done, we'll open things up for the first bonus round!