Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
(mods import "Thunder" tag into EPA)

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=7;t=000453;go=newer

quote:

"Miss NWO finally ended with the sight of Bischoff French kissing an overweight mid 50s woman to no cheers, even fewer laughs, and a lot of gagging around the country. By this time the show was as much fun to watch as three hours of somebody masturbating. In fact, I'm not sure that isn't what we were watching." - The Wrestling Observer: February 3, 1997.

quote:

"Nobody has any idea why they brought a live tiger from the zoo to accompany Steiner to the ring on Nitro. Backstage, when he was trying to get a photo with the tiger, the tiger nearly took a chuck out of Rey Mysterio's eye" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 10, 2000.

quote:

"CNN ran a special on Goldberg on 10/22. They showed Vince Russo and the booking team talking about a Nitro where Bill Goldberg would get revenge on Scott Steiner. Russo had an idea that Steiner would be in the dressing room bleaching his mustache and Goldberg would pour Clorox down Steiner's throat. Ed Ferrara noted that you don't bleach a mustache with Clorox. He then said they could use bleach instead."- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 30, 2000.

Things were insane when they started losing the monday night wars but before they got into full swing there was some top tier lunatic poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-3yDeIdrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8Xb5VJulQ

The Jim Herd/Ole Anderson era was even crazier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyuqZdx0U4k

but at the same time there were some great matches happening too, nitro-era cruiserweights, the early days of the steiners when they were in full beastmode, regal and finlay

watch some old WCW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WCW was real. I remember watching it on TV

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

WCW was real. I remember watching it on TV

what era?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It was on after cartoon network finished so we're talking mid 90s before cartoon network went 24h. Dont ask me to remember anything specific because I was maybe 7 years old

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

WCW Saturday Night was my favorite because one match might be some underpushed but technically brilliant guys like the luchas or brad armstrong coming out and putting on a banger, then the next match was your alcoholic uncle wandering out to beat up some guy calling himself "The Gambler"

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TheSwizzler posted:

WCW Saturday Night was my favorite because one match might be some underpushed but technically brilliant guys like the luchas or brad armstrong coming out and putting on a banger, then the next match was your alcoholic uncle wandering out to beat up some guy calling himself "The Gambler"

impact still pulls poo poo like this

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

yah it was real. real DUMB

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Stiev Awt posted:

yah it was real. real DUMB

WCW ruled

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

I got to chatting wrestling with a guy in college and I had him laughing for a good 10 minutes just rattling off WCW jobbers from the weekend shows.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

I got to chatting wrestling with a guy in college and I had him laughing for a good 10 minutes just rattling off WCW jobbers from the weekend shows.

Oh yeah they had some incredible ones, Jimmy Del Ray of the Heavenly Bodies turning into "Jimmy Graffiti" in spite of being around 40 years old was a good one. Disorderly Conduct with Mean Mike and Tough Tom, Roadblock, The Gambler, the various incarnations of Barry Darsow and Brad Armstrong, High Voltage (who deserved better)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

Oh yeah they had some incredible ones, Jimmy Del Ray of the Heavenly Bodies turning into "Jimmy Graffiti" in spite of being around 40 years old was a good one. Disorderly Conduct with Mean Mike and Tough Tom, Roadblock, The Gambler, the various incarnations of Barry Darsow and Brad Armstrong, High Voltage (who deserved better)

I had a soft spot for High Voltage because they were billed as coming from Anchorage. I was so pumped that I got to see them (job) at a house show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if we ever get custom buttons..

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Roadblock tag when

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

no.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

WCW had to be real because it had the second best N64 wrestling game I ever played, WCW/nWo Revenge.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

WCW had to be real because it had the second best N64 wrestling game I ever played, WCW/nWo Revenge.

World Tour ruled too

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

TheSwizzler posted:

World Tour ruled too

That game was the go-to for my friends and I whenever we got together in high school.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

That game was the go-to for my friends and I whenever we got together in high school.

you guys have a No Bischoff rule too?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

TheSwizzler posted:

you guys have a No Bischoff rule too?

Holy poo poo yeah we did. :lol:

Ultimo Dragon was all kinds of broken in that game, I loved it.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Holy poo poo yeah we did. :lol:

Ultimo Dragon was all kinds of broken in that game, I loved it.

I lost so many matches because I insisted on finishing with his running powerbomb instead of just ending the match because it ruled

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
WCW was great. It's greatest moment was when they did a storyline for a German tour where they invited a German c-list celebrity, lovely comedian Tom Gerhard. He was set up to have a match with Berlyn. The big motivation for Berlyn to take on Tom came when Tom stole the exhaust pipe of Berlyn's car.

I forgot the match. I just remember there was some kinda show of respect afterwards.

If anyone has footage of the match, please share. I'm not sure it exists anywhere because they never put it on the network.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There was that time Hogan threw Big Show across a river like a pebble because he's small and then he turned up to the arena later all OK and dry.

Also that time Goldberg took like an hour to walk across a road.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

billed as an Auspuff match, had to google what that was

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I figured it was just a wwf brand extension, same dudes on the ads , same ad style, on the same channels that had wwf the year before.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
tried watching wcw once as a kid and it was really bad and then i heard it died

wcw vs nwo revenge was good though

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WCW was never real. It was all a dream op

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
WCW was real and also real bad pretty often. But holy fuckin poo poo that cruiserweight scene and undercard were some must see television. Just future stars of the industry just going out every week and upstaging the big money acts.

You Can Join Something Awful Wrestling Today

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9pm Eastern on twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

The way they burned money for no good reason was great

Masahiro Chono and Great Muta flying all the way out to America to curtain jerk against jobbers

Hiring Lanny Poffo and keeping him under contract paying him to sit at home for years (I think Honky Tonk had a similar deal for a while)