Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
It was me.

I was the Glacier mark.

I got hyped as hell for the Blood Runs Cold promos, waiting months for this dollar-store Sub-Zero to debut. I intently followed his undefeated streak. I used to keep my own written notes on WCW shows as if I was keeping score at a baseball game, and Glacier squashes always got five stars. When my brother and I wrestled, he'd be Sting, while I'd practice my Cryonic Kick. When Mortis pinned him at Bash at the Beach 1997, I rationalized it by saying it was a tag match. Ernest Miller let him down. When he lost his first singles match to Buff Bagwell, I was deflated. My blood ran cold, for all the wrong reasons. Sure, I liked DDP and Goldberg and Malenko and the luchadors too. But I was the Glacier mark.

My question then, for all of you, is who are your most embarrassing favorite wrestlers? You can interpret this any way you'd like. Did you like someone no one else marked for? Did you have an embarrassing favorite when you were a kid that you grew out of? Is there someone you like now that you know sucks, but you just can't deny yourself the guilty pleasure?

Confess, posters of EPA. Confess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I loving love Disco Inferno's work. Dude could do comedy, had a consistent gimmick, worked safe and didn't botch

I love Mongo for the opposite reason, he was botchy as hell but you knew you'd always see something interesting whenever he was in the ring because when he hosed up a move he was strong enough to make sure nobody got hurt and drop them safely but it'd end up as some kinda strange poo poo you've never seen before, also dude just always seemed to be having a great time out there and he also had a cute dog

I love Sycho Sid but that's not shameful because that's not a guy who had to have big workrate matches, he was a guy whos ring presence alone was enough to make him rule. He was this huge sweaty intense dude who just showed up and everything he did made you say "this fuckin rules"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

kane...

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Tatanka

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

my introduction to wrestling was a friend showing me some select matches + a bunch of rumbles because they are fun... at least until the endings which are usually bad

the lucha dragons were in one of the rumbles i liked them and their theme a lot

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kane post mask removal

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i had dave mysterio's autograph on my wall into my 20s, the brother of rey mysterio. he was very nice to me at an independent show i went to as a kid and promised to point to me before he did his finisher, the shooting star press, and he did. anytime kids in school would talk about how cool rey mysterio was i'd say, pff, you know who is cooler? his brother dave mysterio

well you know what. dave mysterio wasnt rey mysterios brother. he wasnt even dave mysterio. i dont even think he was mexican. his name was dave webb and he basically only worked as dave mysterio for 3 months before wwf presumably told him to stop

----------------

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm not embarrassed by any of my favorite wrestlers. I'm proud of all of them. The 123 Kid, Giant Gonzales, Toru Yano, Scotty 2 Hotty... That's my Boys Stable right there.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

i had dave mysterio's autograph on my wall into my 20s, the brother of rey mysterio. he was very nice to me at an independent show i went to as a kid and promised to point to me before he did his finisher, the shooting star press, and he did. anytime kids in school would talk about how cool rey mysterio was i'd say, pff, you know who is cooler? his brother dave mysterio

well you know what. dave mysterio wasnt rey mysterios brother. he wasnt even dave mysterio. i dont even think he was mexican. his name was dave webb and he basically only worked as dave mysterio for 3 months before wwf presumably told him to stop

Here is just a little info on the man known as Dave Webb:

Name: David Guinup

Date of Birth: April 13, 1977

Home Town: Kennett Square, PA

Favorite Superhero: The Amazing Spiderman

Idol: Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat

Finishing Moves: The Webb Spinner (like the 619), The Arachnittack (like the Vantermanator)

Theme Music: DMX- X gonna give it to ya

Click to hear Dave Webb's Theme [Editor's note: dead link to techn9neabsolutepower.mp3]

Favorite Food: Slim Jims

Insperational Quote:
Sometimes you just feel tired.
You feel weak and when you feel weak you feel like you wanna just give up.
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
and just pull that poo poo out of you and get that motivation to not give up
and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 5, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he does sorta look like a discount rey mysterio lol

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, from the black and white thumbnail I did a small double take as well. I'm just imagining Rey unmasking and this guy seeing dollar signs.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

shannon moore

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on top of kane, it was also the hurricane

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

When I was a little kid my favourite was Virgil and I remember being disappointed he didn’t win the royal rumble

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That DICK! posted:

Thats not embarassing that owns.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

lash leroux but only when he looked like the above, before becoming a funny little joke military faction guy

he was allowed to get 3-4 moves in on scott hall

he started 1999 off strong then didn't win a match in march, april, may, june, or july

undefeated against Villanos IV and V

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I liked that he shaved his sideburns into Ls.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm a Bushwhackers Mark.

----------------

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

TheSwizzler posted:

When I was a little kid my favourite was Virgil and I remember being disappointed he didn’t win the royal rumble

lol

----------------

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Virgil was insane over after turning on DiBiase but being Virgil he couldn't quite capitalize

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rooting for a guy in the royal rumble was probably the funnest thing of all time that anyone's done. especially when your guy had been in there for like 11+ minutes. felt like 3 hours. he's going all the way

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

sheamus (also from seeing him in rumbles)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mine was d’lo and i was fully tilted when kurt angle called himself the first euro continental champion

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

mine was d’lo and i was fully tilted when kurt angle called himself the first euro continental champion

Were you really a wrestling fan in the late '90s if you didn't practice the D'Lo head bob in the mirror?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

grunting "vader time" in the mirror at 3am until catholic mom calls an exorcist

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

there is no shame in loving Big Van Vader and wishing to emulate his life style of being very fat and yelling at people

----------------

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

Were you really a wrestling fan in the late '90s if you didn't practice the D'Lo head bob in the mirror?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hell yeah. Making an elaborate sign so you can cheer on D'Lo as he defends the European title against Mideon.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Does Lance Storm count?

If not probably Doink and IRS.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I respect Lance Storm.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Every power plant guy. Palumbo and O'Haire were the real stars of the invasion

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

lmao custom chunky p

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Kurrgan and I’m not embarrassed. From the Truth Commission to the Oddities, Kurrgan was the poo poo. Glad he’s as big as The Rock in Hollywood now

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Never thought much of Alex Wright growing up but looking back on some of his matches, the kid was probably just as good at 19 or 20 than most of the upper card guys WCW was pushing. There's probably an alternate reality where he continued his career in Japan after WCW folded and he wound up a superstar or something.

I was a luchador mark though, Juventud and Psicosis were two of my favorites as a flippy kid. Also I was a Raven fan. I still don't know why.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Alex Wright did everything so crisp that he didn’t have to be too flashy in the ring, big fan

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

TheSwizzler posted:

Alex Wright did everything so crisp that he didn’t have to be too flashy in the ring, big fan

Yeah, he's one of those guys that could have done really really well in ROH or Japan if he hadn't been burned out by WCW politics, I was just too young at the time to appreciate good technical work, and by the time I came around to appreciating guys like Malenko, they'd relegated Alex to teaming with Disco Inferno.

iirc he was only 18 or something when he got signed? Someone knew his dad and basically was like 'as good as his dad is, his kid's better'

Rags to Liches fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 16, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rags to Liches posted:

I was a luchador mark though, Juventud and Psicosis were two of my favorites as a flippy kid.

It's totally acceptable to mark out for Juvi or Psychosis. However, if you ever find yourself able to recognize Lizmark Jr.s' entrance music, or start forming an opinion on your favorite Villano, you might have a problem.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Crescent Wrench posted:

It's totally acceptable to mark out for Juvi or Psychosis. However, if you ever find yourself able to recognize Lizmark Jr.s' entrance music, or start forming an opinion on your favorite Villano, you might have a problem.

I don’t remember if I could tell the Villanos apart growing up or if I paid any attention to them but I thought Ciclope had the coolest mask. And I never doubted El Dandy.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Just remembered I liked Ahmed Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Stiev Awt posted:

Just remembered I liked Ahmed Johnson.

/