Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4731 and then reinstall the latest GPU drivers.

If that doesn't help you could try another video cable.

Has this happened with multiple monitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

Did they send me a bunk GPU back on my RMA? Is this a RAM issue? Neither?

All three are possibilities.

You could run https://memtest.org/ at some point to check RAM health.

Are you on the latest motherboard BIOS? That motherboard and CPU are incompatible if the BIOS is on an older version.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

...the only spare part I have is an old 980 which I used while the 3070 was out for RMA.

Did these issues happen while using the 980?

Cheap Shot posted:

I'm really begging anyone who knows what these error codes mean, or how to open more detailed log files to enlighten me please. I'm very lost.

Or is it possible other hardware like my motherboard or gpu are to blame?

If the system is acting odd while in the BIOS then it could be any piece of hardware.

I wouldn't get too fixated on all those logs with this kind of issue. There are plenty of perfectly fine systems that have errors/warnings showing up.

You might as well run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php and see if there are any issues with your drives.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

No, the blackscreening is a recent thing. To be honest though I didn’t use my computer very much while the 980 was installed so I’m not sure.

I'd just run with the 980 for a couple of weeks and see if you have errors/issues on the computer. It might curtail gaming but if it works fine then it's a good bet that the refurbished 3070 you received is also messed up. If issues still arise while using the 980 then it's most likely another piece of hardware causing problems.

Cheap Shot posted:

I’m really tired and I’ll have to look into the steps you’ve suggested tomorrow after some rest. Both of your suggestions sound like they might be a bit over my head at a glance but I’m too sick with stress so maybe sleep will give me a clearer look. Thank you for continuing to help!

HDSentinel is a Windows program that you can run that will quickly find problems with drives. It's easier to use than Memtest86+ at least.

down1nit mentioned CPU settings which might be more complex for you. But I'm sure he could walk you through it at some point.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Those are probably fine.

Cheap Shot posted:

So far it hasn't blackscreened while just using it with this single older monitor. I'll keep using it to see if it happens. Could bad displayport cables cause this? These are the ones I got https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JG2LGB9?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1. Maybe there's a problem with them that I hadn't considered?

Or could it be that the new monitor I bought is bad somehow? My monitors are both VG27AQ1A. That sounds unlikely to me but I don't know for sure.

It's extremely unlikely a cable or a monitor would cause crashes. I'd bet just about anything else before those things. In the very rare instances where that kind of peripheral has an issue the computer usually won't boot.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, there can be a tendency to think an issue is resolved if a few hours/days go by with no problems. But you really need a solid 2-3 weeks with complete stability to be confident that the issue is resolved.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

All three of those things are possibilities.

Cheap Shot posted:

Also I don’t know if this tells us something but my computer stays on longer before crashing after letting it stay off for a while. If I try using it right away after it crashes it starts happening more and more frequently .

That would point more towards a high temperature issue.

Check your GPU temperature with https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/ and your CPU temperature with https://download.amd.com/Desktop/amd-ryzen-master.exe

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, that process can be bad. Sometimes they're just testing to see if the thing powers on at all and will keep shipping junk out to people.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

Here’s some of the caked on dirt in the fan after blowing compressed air through everything. I’m trying to imagine the pc this came out of. There’s no shot they actually refurbished this thing right?

Places can have different standards for "refurbishing" or when listing something as "like new." But I wouldn't be happy if I got something looking like that. Anything I've bought refurbished has at least looked clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Is the OS fully updated and also is the motherboard on the latest BIOS?

Cheap Shot posted:

What the hell could be the problem?? The two sata ssd’s I wiped and carried over?

It's possible. If you want to eliminate those as an issue then disconnect both of them and boot from a Live USB with an OS. If it crashes from the OS on the USB drive then the SSDs are probably okay.

Cheap Shot posted:

The monitors? The powerbar my pc is plugged into? Or is this just a cruel coincidence? I wish I knew how to diagnose this poo poo. I’m so run down and exhausted.

I'd bet on the new computer having different hardware issues before the monitor or power bar being the culprit.