Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Wait why are we fighting evil, I just want to finish off my degree

I am really starting to question this school's accreditation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fat Albert in a can posted:

I’m called The Repairwoman because my superpower is I Can Fix Him.

Doesn’t matter that he ain’t broken, I can make him the best him he can be! He just has to change this one little thing about who he is as a person, first. And, his hair.

So, who’s up for some fixing? :boom:

You should talk with The Shipper.

I'd like to see you take a shot with the guy who calls himself "Unfixable".

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Does the Danger Room count as credits towards my Associates Degree in Physical Education?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
My name is Rumi Caverno, aka Danger Rumi. My super power is being able to fit all of you inside me, although some of you might get injured or killed in the process. I'm very sorry, Professor X makes me do this.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can directly channel divorced dad energy. I recharge by sitting in my F150 and vlogging

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Wait why are we fighting evil, I just want to finish off my degree

I am really starting to question this school's accreditation

Evil is a strong word. Also, just think of it as gym class.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yes, hello, my name is Magn-I mean, um... Mr. Otengam, yes that'll do for now. After my family died in the Holocaust, I vowed to use my awesome powers over magnetism to help...ugh, mutant-human coexistence. Yep, I just love humans, love 'em to bits. I would love to join your organization and learn all of its secrets, so I can help ingratiate mutantkind with humanity like a bunch of simpering Uncle Toms. So, what do you say? Care to show me where you keep the airplane and such? Maybe tell me the passcodes for the more restricted areas?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Yes, hello, my name is Magn-I mean, um... Mr. Otengam, yes that'll do for now. After my family died in the Holocaust, I vowed to use my awesome powers over magnetism to help...ugh, mutant-human coexistence. Yep, I just love humans, love 'em to bits. I would love to join your organization and learn all of its secrets, so I can help ingratiate mutantkind with humanity like a bunch of simpering Uncle Toms. So, what do you say? Care to show me where you keep the airplane and such? Maybe tell me the passcodes for the more restricted areas?

Bro, you're like 90 years old. Why are you applying for JV?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm Sterilizing Agent.

My mutant power is that I emit a low-level radiation that kills off all virus, bacteria, and other microscopic organisms in a 30 meter range after just a few seconds of exposure. After a minute, even small bugs will die off. I'm perfect for living in a huge building with lots of people since just my power will keep us disease and pest free.

I also, um, make people sterile after about 10 minutes of being in that same field, and I've been waiting in line for this interview for the last 30 minutes. I don't know if it's permanent or not. But this is a school, and just my presence alone will cut down on teen pregnancies.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Call me Red. I got a long fuse, but when I get angry, I just see red. Like you've got no idea, man, I just see red and my hands start swinging. I get so angry it doesn't matter what anyone tries to do to me cause I'll never give up. Ever. I'll just see red and power out of any hold. Go ahead, punch me as hard as you can and see what happens. Do it. No, do it.

Fuckin' do it.

Not in my face you prick! That was loving cheap man -- look, now my nose is bleeding!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I can project my voice with a 1ft range.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm Sterilizing Agent.

My mutant power is that I emit a low-level radiation that kills off all virus, bacteria, and other microscopic organisms in a 30 meter range after just a few seconds of exposure.

How does your GI tract work?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

the canonical worst X-man ever

His mutant power was that he could explode. He could only do it once, because he wasn't immune to his own power and had no special healing factor

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

StarkRavingMad posted:

His mutant power was that he could explode. He could only do it once, because he wasn't immune to his own power and had no special healing factor

How did that work out for him?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The name? It's The Converter! I can convert any currency in the world into Apple gift cards.

No, I can't convert them back into anything else, why do you ask?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Why the HELL is that kid on the Varsity squad???

Xavier is sick and twisted.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Outrail posted:

How did that work out for him?

poorly

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Outrail posted:

How does your GI tract work?

poorly

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

redshirt posted:

Why the HELL is that kid on the Varsity squad???

Poorly

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

We all laughed at Cypher back in the day but Douglock is pretty cool

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Blonde... brunette... bomb...redhead

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
My name is Pourly.

My power is that I can exactly transfer whatever volume or mass perfectly. Like if you need exactly 5ml of vanilla for that recipe... I can do that. You need need exactly 10 dollars of gas in your car? Take me with you, put the pump in my hand, and even if I close my eyes I'll get you exactly 10 dollars of gas, perfectly.

But my power can be more useful than that. Like if you need me to mix solutions in your labs, I can do exactly what you need me to do without even trying.

You need exactly 42 units of insulin? You could fill up a 10cc syringe with insulin and I'd STILL only inject exactly 42 units without even looking.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

I can annoy any elephant on earth from wherever I happen to be. Anything from mild irritation to murderous rampage. Every time I use my power the tiny elephants that live in my bloodstream (long story) kill off all my skin mites, but I don't really notice.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Bonzo posted:

Cypher was just used poorly. He could comprehend 'any language'. As later writer showed, if his power is that vague, that means he should be an utter master with computers AND highly skilled in hand to hand (comprehend language? Even body language?). Still a bit of a liability in a superpower fight, but invaluable as an assist.

Buttchocks posted:

My name is Rumi Caverno, aka Danger Rumi. My super power is being able to fit all of you inside me, although some of you might get injured or killed in the process. I'm very sorry, Professor X makes me do this.

Danger, stop trying to join the JV team, we don't need a ringer and your disguise is just humanface. Which is racist. I think. Maybe. At the least the makeup is bad because it's running like a former NY's mayor's hair dye.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 14, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Cypher had a problem of just being created as a character at the wrong time, too.

He is created and killed well before the 90s computer boom, so at a time when writers/readers had a far different idea of what 'good with computers' (which was probably about 1/2 the use of his powers at the time) could be capable of.

But on the other hand, had he been created in the 90s rather than the 80s, he'd been an edgelord computer hacker with piercings and a ponytail. He'd also be a big anime otaku and write N64 and PS1 games for fun.

Who am I?

My name is the All-ternative. I can tell you what every alternate universe version of various mutants would be like.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

My name is Neon, ok. For the last time, it's not Rudolph. I want to be called Neon. Screw those jerks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We've decided you can't play games with us btw.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cypher is pretty perfect as a support character, like especially given the international themes of the X-men he'd absolutely be their go-to diplomat and exposition guy, right? The problem is X-men writers in particular seem to have no concept of how to use a character outside a fight scene.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Buttchocks posted:

My name is Neon, ok. For the last time, it's not Rudolph. I want to be called Neon. Screw those jerks.

Their mockery, their hatred, it festers under their thin veneer of gratitude. They will never accept you. Do not save them. Do not serve. Rise up... and join me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I read Cypher's death when it was published and it made me angry. Even more so that he was killed protecting a character we never saw again. Bird Brain or something?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

X-Men Cypher was after my time; was he related (or inspired by) to the Matrix Cypher in any way?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Didn't he die in the first episode of the animated series from the 90s?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

redshirt posted:

X-Men Cypher was after my time; was he related (or inspired by) to the Matrix Cypher in any way?

That's a crossover I'd read. X-Men vs Matrix. Turns out Neo is a mutant.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Bonzo posted:

I read Cypher's death when it was published and it made me angry. Even more so that he was killed protecting a character we never saw again. Bird Brain or something?

I thought it was with that storyline, but he'd gotten in the way of a bullet meant for Rahne. I think they were trying to push later on that the pair had a secret crush on one another or something or she had survivor's guilt.

A kind of big derail on this includes:

-"Where was Warlock during all this?" Well, around that time Warlock and Sunspot had left the NM for multiple issues to be in a miniseries called "Fallen Angels" (I think it was originally called Misfits, but either the Jem IP or the rock group caused them to change it.) Warlock and Sunspot came back for the tail end of the Birdboy saga.

-We got the pretty messed up "Warlock sees a zombie movie and drives Doug's dead body around town to friends and family like it's Weekend at Bernie's" issue a few issues later.

Around the time of all this there was IIRC, The Fall of the Mutants story arc, which at the same time has the world believing the X-Men to be dead and the surviving X-Men having left to join Excalibur. It also has the end of the Xavier school (blown up). Magneto going evil (again.) There's a lot of mix/matching during this window of New Mutants/Fallen Angels characters from characters that appear in the X-Terminators (IIRC) mini. I think Claremont was actually no longer doing New Mutatns during this time and Simonson had taken over and she was maybe looking to make the characters more 'adventurous and fanciful', then Claremont was doing, maybe really trying to aim at a more 'youth market' or a 'Teen Titans' with the concept.. Etc.

I kind of have a lot of theories on stuff like this and I keep thinking Marvel trying to reinvent the New Mutants for about 3 years from around issue 50 for the next three years until Liefeld shows up and kept trying to find some new gimmick to shove youth mutant characters into and none of it ever worked. If you look at it, in barely three years, the title loses a LOT of long-time characters in that time. Had Liefeld/X-Force relaunch had not been successful, they almost seem like they whittling the team down to a few names that could be easily shipped around or relaunched into a new team.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
My name is Nerdlock. My power is that I can manifest a psychic locker to shove a nerd into anytime I'm in the presence of one, and it looks like I just found my demonstration partner

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big black turnout posted:

My name is Nerdlock. My power is that I can manifest a psychic locker to shove a nerd into anytime I'm in the presence of one, and it looks like I just found my demonstration partner

That stuff don't fly at the Xavier Academy bro.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

big black turnout posted:

my own personal danger room

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My name is Charles Xavier and I have psychic powers.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Inzombiac posted:

My name is Charles Xavier and I have psychic powers.

brain powers are nerd powers, locker this dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Good luck getting my wheel hair in there, idiot.