Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

YeahTubaMike posted:

I worked at Starbucks very briefly back in 2006, and they told us that if a customer ordered a beverage using a normal size (small coffee, medium latte, etc.), we were to repeat it back to them using Starbucks sizes ("tall coffee/grande latte, coming right up! :v: "). I refused to, because it was just weird.

I noticed this and thought it was coffee snobbery over some italian sizing poo poo that I'd never heard of and was slightly turned off to the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

syntaxfunction posted:

I love that Starbucks tried going hard expanding here (Australia) but the massive amounts of sugary drinks and the fact that their basic coffee was more expensive kind of hosed them up here and they lost a poo poo tonne of money lol

I would like a basic latte, do I get the more expensive Starbucks or just go to one of the other three cafes in walking distance and pay less? What a difficult choice!

The only one I see get any business is the one placed near the main area tourists go through, which makes sense.

It somehow worked in Seattle. Seattle had a ton of really great coffee shops, often times there would be a line out the door of the starbucks it would have loud weird music playing and be hard to get a place to sit, it had that high traffic fast-food place level of weird finger grime all over everything, it was more expensive and arguably lower quality. The little coffee shop next door you could just walk in and get a coffee, if you ordered a latte you'd get it before people in starbucks even got to put in an order. There were a few starbucks there where you could see multiple other starbucks from their front door.

Once all the other coffee places closed up they closed up a bunch of starbucks and now you just couldn't get coffee for a few blocks, Seattle was absolutely saturated with interesting places to get a cup of coffee before. It's crazy that there are other coffee chains that are HQ'd in Seattle like Tullys and Seattle's Best and neither of them have a presence in the city now.

So from Starbuck's PoV it makes perfect sense that they could just come in and take over good on you guys for not falling for it or else you might actually have less places to get coffee than you do now.