Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Someone, long ago, lost to the mists of time, invented pudding. Someone invented beer. Someone discovered chocolate. Weed. Chicken wings.
The sandwich. Pizza. Ice cream. Even the wonders of magic mushrooms.

God bless these intrepid explorers and inventors, though we will never know their names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Who invented the modern subscription model and how can I hurt them?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Someone at Adobe? Microsoft?

It's a good question, who first made a subscription service work for something that used to be a one time charge?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

you just inspired me to invent pudding pizza. please add me to the op so everyone can direct their adulation right here

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Das Boo posted:

not sure but its topical to bring this uip: bethesda has done a lot of dumb poo poo over the years. remember when they were brutally pilloried for horse armour dlc? i dont think it was the first dlc ever, or even paid dlc, but it was certainly the one that put paid dlc on the map. i remember thinking at the time how greedy bethesda was and, after the public response, no one would be dumb enough to charge for what most devs were doing for free at the time (or bundling into a more fleshed out "expansion pack")

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I invented all of those things op, you’re welcome.

Except for ‘shrooms, I can’t take credit for Mother Nature’s miracles.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I invented all of those things op, you’re welcome.

Except for ‘shrooms, I can’t take credit for Mother Nature’s miracles.

Someone had to discover which shrooms make you trip and which kill you.

Fun mushroom fact: There's a mushroom that is edible UNLESS you combine it with alcohol, then it kills you. Tune in tomorrow to more fun mushroom facts.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like, someone invented sausage. Some guy or gal long ago had the thought: What if we stuff the meat of this dead creature into the intestinal sack of the creature, than cook that up?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cheers to Mistah FAB, who invented ghost riding the whip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLvlGVNInw4

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Cheers to the person who discovered which mushrooms taste good, and condolences to the many more people who discovered which will kill the poo poo out of you.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Not sure about the rest, but Julius Cesar invented pizza while killing the poo poo out of the Gauls.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

redshirt posted:

It's a good question, who first made a subscription service work for something that used to be a one time charge?
dug up the research on the question lmao, the answer is England's John Minsheu in the 17th century for an 11 language dictionary

basically had a Pateron-esque list of people who subscribed to his dictionary that he printed in each edition, which got your name printed on the list of the next volume that came out

subscriptions also saved it from being some dead project because no individual person wanted to pay for the publication as was the customary practice

here are pictures of the list itself

also as a side note, the next guy who did the subscription model to sell poetry loved the money making aspect and bitching about people who didn't pay in the next volume

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the earliest subscription models are any artisan 'guilds' that have ever existed, which have surely existed since the inception of money

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

and taxes in general, i guess

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

not sure but its topical to bring this uip: bethesda has done a lot of dumb poo poo over the years. remember when they were brutally pilloried for horse armour dlc? i dont think it was the first dlc ever, or even paid dlc, but it was certainly the one that put paid dlc on the map. i remember thinking at the time how greedy bethesda was and, after the public response, no one would be dumb enough to charge for what most devs were doing for free at the time (or bundling into a more fleshed out "expansion pack")

seems no coincidence they went on to invent starfield, not content with the damage already wrought

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Shoutout to whatever absolute legend invented the slow-close toilet seat, that poo poo is the best

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

redshirt posted:

Like, someone invented sausage. Some guy or gal long ago had the thought: What if we stuff the meat of this dead creature into the intestinal sack of the creature, than cook that up?

absolute genius that guy though. fuckin love a sausage me

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Just a few days late for November 5, the date that commemorates the day in 1955 when Doc Brown slipped off the toilet and hit his head on the sink and envisioned the flux capacitor.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Reminder that the same dude invented leaded gasoline and CFCs lmao.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There was a Homo Erectus who invented BBQ

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bossy lady posted:

Reminder that the same dude invented leaded gasoline and CFCs lmao.

chemical engineers ftw

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Shoutout to whatever absolute legend invented the slow-close toilet seat, that poo poo is the best

:hmmyes:

I'd like to recognize the person who invented putting your hands in the air like you just don't care.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean, think of it, someone out there first put meat together with bread and perhaps a leafy vegetable.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

The nekmate is fantastic

Carrying bag is super spacious

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I just use a hand mirror and some hand-eye coordination

So I guess I'm glad someone invented those things instead

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

mannerup posted:

dug up the research on the question lmao, the answer is England's John Minsheu in the 17th century for an 11 language dictionary

basically had a Pateron-esque list of people who subscribed to his dictionary that he printed in each edition, which got your name printed on the list of the next volume that came out

subscriptions also saved it from being some dead project because no individual person wanted to pay for the publication as was the customary practice

here are pictures of the list itself

also as a side note, the next guy who did the subscription model to sell poetry loved the money making aspect and bitching about people who didn't pay in the next volume

That's actually quite interesting

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Flowers for QAnon posted:

The nekmate is fantastic

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i wonder when was the first time a human hosed another human up the rear end

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Junk posted:

i wonder when was the first time a human hosed another human up the rear end

I think we've been loving each other's butts for longer than we have been homo sapiens.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

the inventor of buttfucking

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Also no one invented weed, it was discovered.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

I think we've been loving each other's butts for longer than we have been homo sapiens.

but like, the first actual homo sapien to do it, maybe a day or two after we became official

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

i dunno i feel there should be a monument about it

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
There are worse monuments, why not.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Flowers for QAnon posted:

The nekmate is fantastic

What problem is this product solving?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
A lot of those aren't really lost to time. But they also weren't really inventions but changes and refinements on an earlier thing. We know who first did the modern take, but we also know there were earlier versions. If you try to go back far enough to reach the "original", you end up with something that's so different from the familiar modern that it's hard to say if it counts. And that's still going to be based on something older.

This is especially true for pudding and pizza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6XvMKdD2tY

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Das Boo posted:

That's also an old one. It's called taxes. You subscribe to live.

Efb...

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

What problem is this product solving?

the problem of unevenly shaving the back of your neck

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Can’t nek there, mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU