Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SallieKat7
Apr 26, 2017

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I was a big fan of Heinlein's books when I was younger and some of his books I hold in high regard even today. As I got older and started to read his later books, the whole old man and very young woman relationship trope kept cropping up more and more and I ended up stepping away from his work. The books that I read were in my dad's book collection. I do own a copy of Stranger In A Strange Land but I've been wanting to re-read some of his stories for a while now, Starman Jones has been in my thoughts lately.

Seconding most of this - Heinlein's early stories and juveniles are pretty solid, and I have a soft spot for Podkayne of Mars even if that one didn't hit nearly as well in adulthood. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress still ranks as one of my all-time favorites. And yeah, he went into a Weird/Dirty Old Man phase in his later writings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SallieKat7 posted:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress still ranks as one of my all-time favorites. And yeah, he went into a Weird/Dirty Old Man phase in his later writings.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress posted:

Lajoie shivered. “At her age? It scares me to think of it. She’s below the age of consent. Statutory rape.”

“Oh, bloody! No such thing. Women her age are married or ought to be. Stu, is no rape in Luna. None. Men won’t permit. If rape had been involved, they wouldn’t have bothered to find a judge and all men in earshot would have scrambled to help. But chance that a girl that big is virgin is negligible. When they’re little, their mothers watch over them, with help from everybody in city; children are safe here. But when they reach husband-high, is no holding them and mothers quit trying. If they choose to run corndors and have fun, can’t stop ‘em; once a girl is nubile, she’s her own boss.
The girl in question is 14.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Tiggum posted:

The girl in question is 14.

Yeah, Jake Stonebender's two-year-old daughter (who is hyperintelligent because she fused with the living embodiment of the internet at the moment she was born - long story) also voices some pretty :chloe: stuff about what she plans to do once she turns fourteen. She also invites Nikola Tesla (another long story) to be on her "list", which he graciously accepts. Both her parents are in the room at the time and are OK with this.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This video is the conclusion of our time with Josie and her quest to save the cacao trees. We still have five more people to help, the next person will be the first person I get to while scrolling around the room.

I wasn't sure if there was more to the hieroglyph translations, I did try to read them at various points but I couldn't get anything further to trigger.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

We're not back at Callahan's for too long as Mike has a favour to ask of us and it would be rude of us not to agree to it. We're flying solo for this task, well, more like hiding inside of a box while being transported over 4,600 miles solo for this task.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Dave Syndrome posted:

Stuff I'd rather not repeat

:wtc:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was hoping to have an update ready this weekend but my youngest has decided to pass her cold onto me so I've been feeling under the weather. I would have attempted something if I wasn't blowing my nose every 5-10 minutes. I'm starting to get over the worst of it though, I'm hoping to have something recorded within the next couple of days.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think it's more important that you focus on getting well, instead of feeling like you need to get it out the door - though it's a credit to you that you do.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Jake explores the town of Brasov. At least, I think that it's called Brasov but I've also heard it referenced as Florescu?

I made a bit of a mistake in this video but that involves one of the dialogue choices that I made. In my test run I chose a topic of conversation which opened up extra dialogue with a couple of other characters. During the recording, I chose another line of dialogue which seems to have closed off the extra dialogue. I don't want to go into any details as I'll spoil things but you will see in the video and I do discuss it. I also ended up backtracking slightly as I forgot to ask about this topic in the first place in this video. Hopefully it doesn't detract from things too much.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think it's more important that you focus on getting well, instead of feeling like you need to get it out the door - though it's a credit to you that you do.

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's a stretch but I think "Is this Rare Yuban for Allah Malyv?" = "Is this where you've been for all of my life?"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

It's a stretch but I think "Is this Rare Yuban for Allah Malyv?" = "Is this where you've been for all of my life?"

Thank you, that one way above my head.

It seems like Yuban is a coffee by Maxwell House. I'm having trouble finding out more about the Allah part though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we meet and spend a lot of time with a very nice lady who helps us with our quest to enter Casimir's Place. In fact, this whole video is all about trying to get cursed so we can enter the bar.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I hope you all have a nice day today, no matter what you celebrate, if you do!

In this video, we find Pyotr and find out why he has decided to return to Transylvania. This video is practically all dialogue with one puzzle thrown in for good measure.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The Pon Farr song is definitely a Star Trek reference, as are the Fugatos at the bar who are based on the Mugato from an episode of the original Star Trek (and more recently an episode of Lower Decks).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Not definitely sure what that initial dialogue exchange with Pyotr was about but I don’t think there’s any specific american cultural reference here.

It may have just been a way to wax poetic about the honesty of a drunken man and what Pyotr may have been ruminating about when thinking about Jake and maybe about how he always gets the fun and the women while Pyotr gets to drive everyone home. Perhaps. Who really knows what was being alluded to? He was very cryptic.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

The Pon Farr song is definitely a Star Trek reference, as are the Fugatos at the bar who are based on the Mugato from an episode of the original Star Trek (and more recently an episode of Lower Decks).

I was skimming through the song names and completely missed the reference to Nimoy. I didn't realise the Mugato's were another nod to the show, it's been a long time since I watched Star Trek and I've only watched the first two seasons of Lower Decks.

sb hermit posted:

Not definitely sure what that initial dialogue exchange with Pyotr was about but I don’t think there’s any specific american cultural reference here.

It may have just been a way to wax poetic about the honesty of a drunken man and what Pyotr may have been ruminating about when thinking about Jake and maybe about how he always gets the fun and the women while Pyotr gets to drive everyone home. Perhaps. Who really knows what was being alluded to? He was very cryptic.

I honestly thought it was a specific reference to something. My knowledge of American culture is rather limited.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I honestly thought it was a specific reference to something. My knowledge of American culture is rather limited.

As a child of the 80s, I think I’m about 10 to 20 years too young to catch a lot of the pop culture references in this game so if there was something there, I doubt most americans today would catch it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we try to get an impression of Sasha's curse mark without trying to be too inappropriate and we start our journey to find a way to remove it. We also have another blackboard full of clues to solve and I really show my lack of knowledge of the horror genre.

We're nearing the end of Pyotr's storyline now, I believe that we should have things wrapped up in the next update. I wasn't expecting so much content in this game, I knew that a straightforward playthrough was fairly lengthy but there is a ton of additional dialogue to go along with it. Not to mention the shear amount of descriptions for a good chunk of scenery items too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Not sure what “shmegegge” means exactly but the gypsy seems to use the accent and mannerisms of an older jewish american lady. At least, that’s what I think. To be clear, it seems to be a respectful homage to the archetype. So anything that may seem like a loanword may have their origins in Yiddish:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Yiddish_origin

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This game is clearly made with a lot of love and care (especially all the puns), but yeah, I definitely feel like it's not aged well in terms of its reliance on the audience being of a certain age and cultural background to get all the references that it relies on. I also get the feeling that it also assumes the player is very familiar with the source material? Not being in that camp, I don't yet understand enough of the setting/world for it to seem very consistent, or to have much of an idea about what Jake can/can't/should/shouldn't try to do. Having you tag along with another character leading the way was a great way to ease in with the previous big quest, but a bit of exposition about Pyotr and his background would have gone a long way in the leadup to this one. I'm still waiting to see if the intro cutscene has any bearing on what we've seen and done so far (I'm a few videos behind though, so maybe this has changed).

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Crazy Achmed posted:

This game is clearly made with a lot of love and care (especially all the puns), but yeah, I definitely feel like it's not aged well in terms of its reliance on the audience being of a certain age and cultural background to get all the references that it relies on.

Absolutely. It's even worse with the original stories, which assume that you're a Sci-Fi aficionado to even get the punchlines that some of the narratives are built on.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I also get the feeling that it also assumes the player is very familiar with the source material?

Not really. I played the game ages before I ever read the stories, and - just having completed a full readthrough of them last year - I can say with confindence that there are pretty much no clues in them that would influence one's gameplay. If anything, I was taken aback at first that most of the stories are much less wacky and outlandish and much more human than the game. The whole Transsylvania chapter especially really stands out - you'd never find a character like the sinew-and-bones shopkeeper in the stories.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The nice thing is that there seems to be no need for saving and reloading except to save progress between gaming sessions. None of that frustrating Sierra death or dead end game mechanic here.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love this game so much and I love all the Callahan's books. A dream game of mine would just be an very detailed, accurate recreation of Callahan's bar, just hanging out with the regulars, and occasionally a visitor comes in who regales you with a new story. Just a hangout game with some interludes.

This game has been yearly comfort food for me for like, over twenty years now, ever since I was ten and my dad handed me a ragged copy of the first compilation after we bought this game fresh in shrink wrap from a local computer convention. I basically had no loving clue what I was doing for a few years until I became aware of GameFAQs and finally managed a complete playthrough, but I would literally just start the game over and over and talk to everyone in the bar. They became like friends to me.

I even love the corny songs Fast Eddie plays on the piano that Spider Robinson wrote and sang himself, this song has been with me for a long, long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6__73mcjHyo

To this day I love dumbass puns. I can't remember which Callahan's story collection it's in, but the ICBM pun is literally one of the best I've ever read in my life. I'll go through my collection (I own every book Spider Robinson ever wrote lol) and snap a picture and post it here because it's too drat funny not to.

Thanks for playing through the game because there's really no good uploads on YT of the game right now, most of them are people not really engaging with the content and just kind of blowing through it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

We also have another blackboard full of clues to solve and I really show my lack of knowledge of the horror genre.
To those riddles, I say "gently caress off". Garbage. Awful. I was disappointed in myself that I hadn't managed to solve a single one - until I found out what the answers actually were. The previous ones were decent, these ones suck poo poo.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

You've never heard of Maize Grist Offerlee?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Apologies for the lack of an update lately. I'm currently fighting off tonsilitis and not really feeling up to the task. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Apologies for the lack of an update lately. I'm currently fighting off tonsilitis and not really feeling up to the task. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.
No worries!

Get better first, then do more episodes once you're ready for it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of Pyotr's storyline.

I hadn't realised that it's been two weeks since the last update. I'm still not 100% but I felt well enough to record today, there were a couple of fluffs during the session but it went fairly well on the whole. I did cut out a small section of this video as I repeated a couple of questions that I had already asked Sasha earlier in the video.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

uh, wow, what a conclusion

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I'm pretty sure I read this whole series plus whatever else Spider Robinson had written until I finally fell off him. I remember loving them back in the day but all I really remember from them is that they gave me the wish to try Irish Coffee, though I still haven't many years down the line.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A good Irish coffee is definitely a real treat.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Our work isn't done yet. We start helping out another friend in this video and this time it's a problem on a global scale.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we start to explore the satellite and it's a rather quiet place. We do make a new friend though who wants us to be one of the gang. This part of the game feels a little slow-paced, there isn't a whole lot of dialogue and the whole place is eerily quiet. This part of the game seems to involve a lot of trial and error, we experienced it with Squish's ship and now we're getting the same treatment on the satellite. There are some vague hints here and there but you're left to your own devices for the most part.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I find it hilarious that our companion on this trip is one of the few people who wear a hat in the bar, and I had half expected the game to show him with a hand on his hat at all times due to the zero G.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of Squish's storyline. This was very short compared to the first two adventures but there was a distinct lack of dialogue compared to this one. It was an interesting adventure but there wasn't a whole lot of hints to get through it, or maybe there were and I missed them. I was examining everything around those control panels but wasn't getting any useful information from them.

sb hermit posted:

I find it hilarious that our companion on this trip is one of the few people who wear a hat in the bar, and I had half expected the game to show him with a hand on his hat at all times due to the zero G.

They have had a few graphical changes to the avatars so either this was an oversight or Noah is wearing a very tight hat.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This video is the final part of Squish's storyline. This was very short compared to the first two adventures but there was a distinct lack of dialogue compared to this one. It was an interesting adventure but there wasn't a whole lot of hints to get through it, or maybe there were and I missed them. I was examining everything around those control panels but wasn't getting any useful information from them.

Something has been on my mind for the last few weeks.

There is a really old DOS shareware game that consists of a bunch of minigames. One of those involves getting a spaceship to take off. The user interface consists of the entirety of the dashboard, rendered in ASCII. I think.

Anyways, all I wanted to say was that I guess the bulk of the gameplay for this chapter was the experimentation and puzzle solving, which probably ate up a lot of development hours since this is probably not something that could just lean on Spider Robinson’s excellent writing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is another fairly short video but at the same time a fairly lengthy interim between Squish's story and the next. In this video, we catch up with our old friends and we meet a couple of new friends. Both of these new friends need our help and my decision to choose one of them was based solely upon the fact they were on the screen as soon as we re-entered Callahan's.

sb hermit posted:

Something has been on my mind for the last few weeks.

There is a really old DOS shareware game that consists of a bunch of minigames. One of those involves getting a spaceship to take off. The user interface consists of the entirety of the dashboard, rendered in ASCII. I think.

Anyways, all I wanted to say was that I guess the bulk of the gameplay for this chapter was the experimentation and puzzle solving, which probably ate up a lot of development hours since this is probably not something that could just lean on Spider Robinson’s excellent writing.

I'm glad that they did decide to experiment with the storylines as it does make things more interesting. One of the downsides to showing this off in an efficient manner is that it skips all of the fun of exploring the environments and tinkering with everything to figure out just how everything works, completely bypassing the developer's hard work into problem-solving.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We visit Al Phee's timeline in this video and we make some new friends while we're looking around the place.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We spend a lot of our time speaking with Hervé, the local tattooist. At least 75% of this video is spent there and most of the time there is spent there is for purely optional dialogue. We do accomplish a couple of things though so progress has been made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I assume ‘The Plane, the Plane’ is a reference to Herve Villechaize’s character in Fantasy Island.

I guess it’s a tenuous link to the tattoo artist being called Herve…