Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Whoa, another Legend Entertainment game! I mostly know this company from the Companions of Xanth game, although they also released a lot of earlier games that could be played in either text-only or with graphics.

Reading the wikipedia page, it looks like they were Infocom refugees after Activision acquired then closed it down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_Entertainment

That explains some of the writing, I guess. I kind of want to play the earlier Infocom games if I ever get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would love to have four primary arms so that I could pet four dogs at the same time.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I don’t know what authentic brazilian-accented english sounds like but I would be hard pressed to believe that this is an accurate representation.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Not definitely sure what that initial dialogue exchange with Pyotr was about but I don’t think there’s any specific american cultural reference here.

It may have just been a way to wax poetic about the honesty of a drunken man and what Pyotr may have been ruminating about when thinking about Jake and maybe about how he always gets the fun and the women while Pyotr gets to drive everyone home. Perhaps. Who really knows what was being alluded to? He was very cryptic.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I honestly thought it was a specific reference to something. My knowledge of American culture is rather limited.

As a child of the 80s, I think I’m about 10 to 20 years too young to catch a lot of the pop culture references in this game so if there was something there, I doubt most americans today would catch it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Not sure what “shmegegge” means exactly but the gypsy seems to use the accent and mannerisms of an older jewish american lady. At least, that’s what I think. To be clear, it seems to be a respectful homage to the archetype. So anything that may seem like a loanword may have their origins in Yiddish:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Yiddish_origin

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The nice thing is that there seems to be no need for saving and reloading except to save progress between gaming sessions. None of that frustrating Sierra death or dead end game mechanic here.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

uh, wow, what a conclusion

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I find it hilarious that our companion on this trip is one of the few people who wear a hat in the bar, and I had half expected the game to show him with a hand on his hat at all times due to the zero G.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This video is the final part of Squish's storyline. This was very short compared to the first two adventures but there was a distinct lack of dialogue compared to this one. It was an interesting adventure but there wasn't a whole lot of hints to get through it, or maybe there were and I missed them. I was examining everything around those control panels but wasn't getting any useful information from them.

Something has been on my mind for the last few weeks.

There is a really old DOS shareware game that consists of a bunch of minigames. One of those involves getting a spaceship to take off. The user interface consists of the entirety of the dashboard, rendered in ASCII. I think.

Anyways, all I wanted to say was that I guess the bulk of the gameplay for this chapter was the experimentation and puzzle solving, which probably ate up a lot of development hours since this is probably not something that could just lean on Spider Robinson’s excellent writing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zaroff posted:

I assume ‘The Plane, the Plane’ is a reference to Herve Villechaize’s character in Fantasy Island.

I guess it’s a tenuous link to the tattoo artist being called Herve…

And, if I’m not mistaken, Hervé Villechaize‘s character’s name in that show was Tattoo.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

while listening to the tattoo artist’s rant, It just struck me that environmentalism really started to hit pop culture in the mid 90s. Especially in media targeting kids, such as books and the classic cartoon Captain Planet

nevertheless, it feels like the future is still doing ok with futuristic buildings and medicine

still, I could do without the cannibalism

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, cannibalism?

:hmmyes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I find it funny that the fridge-guarding goon doesn't just try to read Jake's mind whenever he sees him opening the fridge door. Maybe the guy's never had "V" (which feels unlikely because supposedly everyone uses it), or never thinks to read your mind to see what Jake's intentions are (a bit more likely, but I figured it would have been the go-to solution for a lot of problems).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Given the content of this update, I can fairly conclude that the first section of the game (homophones and music bands via “riddle night”) is effectively an age barrier to keep out younger folk.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I appreciate that we are seeing some additional closure from our various adventures.

Also, I would have assumed that Jake would have had the foresight to take a nap before using any time machines! I guess some circumstances would have been less ideal than others to get some shuteye

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm not sure if the panting sounds like a handsaw or someone using sandpaper with coarse grit

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have come to a tentative decision on what I'm going to LP after this game is over, I think I'm ready to be punished again.

:ohdear:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Here is the third and final part of our adventure with Joe. We have made our way inside and have found Ralph, now we just need to find our way out.

I hope you finally get a chance to pet both dogs in a safe place. Maybe at the same time!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I kinda like the quirk of this last level.

Also, I like how Josie implies that you were only gone for 20 minutes but it’s clear that the last excursion didn’t use any time machines or whatever.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nowadays, a lot of breweries in Los Angeles (and thereabouts) allow dogs on the patio if not indoors (I think it’s ok for them to allow it if they don’t serve food that is not alcohol) but I would be chuffed to find a bar in the 90s that was this dog friendly.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

It's fairly common to find dog friendly places in the UK, even more common in more rural areas. There's a café that I infrequently visit in the High Street where I live that keeps dog treats behind the counter.

That’s really cool.

There one place that around here that gives out free dog treats, and it’s a cafe that is drive-thru only (Human Bean). Also, Starbucks has the puppuccino (whipped cream in a cup) and in-n-out will give you a puppy patty (broiled ground beef without ingredients that are toxic to dogs like onions and garlic)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Feels like it would have been a better game design decision to allow the player to stay in the office as long as desired. I know that there is an implied sense of urgency but if that were the case, there would have been no need for the puzzle!

Unless the puzzle was meant to keep the characters occupied until the hearing starts.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Can’t help but overthink the symbolism behind the USA flags in the otherworldly courtroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you very much for the LP!

I half expected Gingranich to show up in the ending scene but I guess the story is stronger with his absence.