Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is a graphic adventure game that was released in 1997 by Legend Entertainment. This game is based on the book series "Callahan's Place" by Spider Robinson and we play as the character Jake Stonebender, the book's narrator. Callahan's Crosstime Saloon was designed by Josh Mandel, who also was the co-designer of Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist, Space Quest 6, and was also involved in various capacities in many other games as a designer, writer, producer and\or voice actor.

LP Details

This will be a VLP and I will be recording commentary live and unscripted. I don't have a schedule, it all depends on when I have free time around work and child care but I will aim to have at least one video up a week.

Let's Play: Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

sb hermit posted:

Whoa, another Legend Entertainment game! I mostly know this company from the Companions of Xanth game, although they also released a lot of earlier games that could be played in either text-only or with graphics.

Reading the wikipedia page, it looks like they were Infocom refugees after Activision acquired then closed it down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_Entertainment

That explains some of the writing, I guess. I kind of want to play the earlier Infocom games if I ever get the chance.

I grew up with the Infocom games and I have a lot of fond memories of them. I keep meaning to go back to them at some point. I'm not sure if there is a legit way to play them these days, you may have to resort to emulation or :filez: The Zork anthology is on Steam and GOG but I believe that's about it right now. (Edit: The anthology also includes Planetfall, a game that I remember VERY fondly. It's a shame that the sequel isn't included as well.)

As for the Companions of Xanth game, I remember playing it when I was younger. I have considered doing an LP of it but I'm not sure if I'm really up for poking the Piers Anthony bee nest of creepiness. I've just finished Armikrog and I felt a bit dirty in doing so with TenNapel's controversial views on some matters.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I may have to check the books out in the future. I'm still working my way through H.P. Lovecraft at the moment.

I wonder if whether Spider Robinson has ever played this game as I've read that he is strictly a Mac person. I know he was shown a beta of the game when it was close to release and liked what he saw.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is set entirely inside of Callahan's as we still have a couple of new people to speak to as well as having the riddle to solve. I do take a quick gander around the rooftop as well even though we don't have anything to do up there. The next video will start in an entirely new location as we have agreed to go on an adventure with one of bar friends.

Crazy Achmed posted:

This has started out nice and weird, makes me wish I had a local bar like that. It's giving me some Hitchhikers' Guide vibes, and the voice acting is very nice so far.

I enjoy nice and weird. I also enjoy a good pun and this game seems to be throwing puns by the bucket load.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

It took a bit of help at the end, but I think the riddle is Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show

I’m really enjoying this - it says a lot that we’re about an hour into the game, and aside from some riddles (which unfortunately date it poorly), it’s really just been a lot of dialogue and yet it’s engaging!

I’m just not sure what the object of the game is though…

I don't think that I'd have figured that one out. I believe that Doc gives us more if we ask, which I will do when we return to the bar.

From what I've read about this it was designed to have a strongly positive theme and a contrast to many of the mid-90s dark and violent games around at the time. I don't want to spoil anything right now, but we are going to go on several different adventures throughout this playthrough to help people and try to make the world a little better.

quote:

"It seems like every game I play these days is about monsters, murder, destruction, and evil. I wanted something uplifting, something that would take place in a world I wanted to live in, rather than one I wanted to escape from."

—Designer Josh Mandel in 1997

sb hermit posted:

I would love to have four primary arms so that I could pet four dogs at the same time.

What about the inflatable one?!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I’m so here for this; Callahan’s is one of my all-time favorite book series, and I have fond memories of playing this game way back in the day.

He’s still plugging away at another book, as well as his autobiography, and does irregular blog posts on his website.

Yea, there’s something quite Douglas Adamsesque over this game, especially when compared to Starship Titanic.

Starship Titanic is on my list at some point. But that's only when I'm good and ready for it. I'm trying to space out the more unforgiving adventure games and I've gone through a few of them these past couple of years.

Spider Robinson recorded music for the game and they can be heard when you ask Fast Eddie to play one of his "specialities". I might try to find a way to record and upload these at some point. I'll see if I can find the music files on the disc, if they aren't then I'll have to record the songs in game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Starship Titanic is absolutely wonderful and absolutely bonkers in how much it expects you to just figure out by trial and error.

Drunkards Song, which the game opens with, wasn't written for the game - rather, it's featured in The Law Of Conservation Of Pain, which is one of the short-stories in the first book in the series. The guitar solo is by none other than Amos Garrett, who's got a long and illustrious career.
EDIT: You'll be able to find it on Spiders website, I'm pretty sure that's where I got my copy from.

Spider has made music for several of his books, and there's quite a bit of the author in the books'/games protagonist.

Thank you for the link, these are the same songs that Fast Eddie plays when you ask for one of his specialties.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the first part of our adventure with Josie and it covers our attempt at trying to deal with Faxon-Casteroga about the business with the endangered cocoa plant. This wasn't originally intended to be this long but I decided to just start poking around on a whim and I discovered extra dialogue with certain prompts with people and the scenery. There is still a fair bit of reading, but I did try to cut down on the waiting time a little throughout.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video contains our entire plane journey to the rainforests of Brazil. It's not quite the luxury ride we may have been expecting but it can definitely fly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

I don’t know what authentic brazilian-accented english sounds like but I would be hard pressed to believe that this is an accurate representation.

I've worked with Brazilian and Portuguese people, Guzman's accent was different to what I have heard personally. But everyone is different and Brazil is a very large country.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

Just discovered this thread thanks to Pragmatica's announcement post. Yay!

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is a game I replay every few years or so, and it was through it that I discovered Spider Robinson's books. Hope discussion of the stories isn't considered derailing the thread.

Anyway, apologies for the ramble. It's just that I'm so happy to finally find a place where I can talk about this.

On with the game, and thank you, Rocket Baby Dolls, for creating this thread!

By all means, if you can't talk about Callahan's then where can you talk about it? I'm always happy to read more about this universe as this is all new to me and I am enjoying the game. I will definitely start reading the books once I've finished with Lovecraft. I appreciate the warnings, although it's hard-pressed to find many authors writing about human issues for over 30 years plus who doesn't raise the occasional eyebrow.

I absolutely love Terry Pratchett, he is one of my all-time favourite authors.

I was a big fan of Heinlein's books when I was younger and some of his books I hold in high regard even today. As I got older and started to read his later books, the whole old man and very young woman relationship trope kept cropping up more and more and I ended up stepping away from his work. The books that I read were in my dad's book collection. I do own a copy of Stranger In A Strange Land but I've been wanting to re-read some of his stories for a while now, Starman Jones has been in my thoughts lately.

It's worth noting that Legend Entertainment originally wanted Josh Mandel to develop an adventure game adaption of The Belgariad, but David Eddings rejected the idea outright. The company then asked Mandel for two authors whose works he'd like to adapt and Robinson was obviously one of his answers, the other was Dean Kootz.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Jake and Josie explore the Brazilian rainforest in search of the illusive cacao trees and discover that they're still facing some resistance. The last ten minutes of this video are spent entirely on one puzzle. I called it a Picross in the video it seems like the more common name for it is a Nonogram, but it's also known by a lot of other names. I decided to go through the tutorial section (on a whim) for the people who don't know how these puzzles work which may have been a mistake as I didn't expect it to be so extensive. I clicked through each page every 10 seconds and it still took over three minutes to go through them all. I have put timestamps in the video description but I'll also put them here:

21:42 Puzzle Help
25:06 Start Of Puzzle
30:25 End Of Puzzle

I experiment with each area to see if I can trigger any dialogue and I write down anything of interest. I'm not sure if there are different hotspots with the same name as there were a few places that didn't trigger anything during the recording.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 27, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the conclusion of our time with Josie and her quest to save the cacao trees. We still have five more people to help, the next person will be the first person I get to while scrolling around the room.

I wasn't sure if there was more to the hieroglyph translations, I did try to read them at various points but I couldn't get anything further to trigger.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We're not back at Callahan's for too long as Mike has a favour to ask of us and it would be rude of us not to agree to it. We're flying solo for this task, well, more like hiding inside of a box while being transported over 4,600 miles solo for this task.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was hoping to have an update ready this weekend but my youngest has decided to pass her cold onto me so I've been feeling under the weather. I would have attempted something if I wasn't blowing my nose every 5-10 minutes. I'm starting to get over the worst of it though, I'm hoping to have something recorded within the next couple of days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Jake explores the town of Brasov. At least, I think that it's called Brasov but I've also heard it referenced as Florescu?

I made a bit of a mistake in this video but that involves one of the dialogue choices that I made. In my test run I chose a topic of conversation which opened up extra dialogue with a couple of other characters. During the recording, I chose another line of dialogue which seems to have closed off the extra dialogue. I don't want to go into any details as I'll spoil things but you will see in the video and I do discuss it. I also ended up backtracking slightly as I forgot to ask about this topic in the first place in this video. Hopefully it doesn't detract from things too much.

I think it's more important that you focus on getting well, instead of feeling like you need to get it out the door - though it's a credit to you that you do.

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

It's a stretch but I think "Is this Rare Yuban for Allah Malyv?" = "Is this where you've been for all of my life?"

Thank you, that one way above my head.

It seems like Yuban is a coffee by Maxwell House. I'm having trouble finding out more about the Allah part though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we meet and spend a lot of time with a very nice lady who helps us with our quest to enter Casimir's Place. In fact, this whole video is all about trying to get cursed so we can enter the bar.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I hope you all have a nice day today, no matter what you celebrate, if you do!

In this video, we find Pyotr and find out why he has decided to return to Transylvania. This video is practically all dialogue with one puzzle thrown in for good measure.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

The Pon Farr song is definitely a Star Trek reference, as are the Fugatos at the bar who are based on the Mugato from an episode of the original Star Trek (and more recently an episode of Lower Decks).

I was skimming through the song names and completely missed the reference to Nimoy. I didn't realise the Mugato's were another nod to the show, it's been a long time since I watched Star Trek and I've only watched the first two seasons of Lower Decks.

sb hermit posted:

Not definitely sure what that initial dialogue exchange with Pyotr was about but I don’t think there’s any specific american cultural reference here.

It may have just been a way to wax poetic about the honesty of a drunken man and what Pyotr may have been ruminating about when thinking about Jake and maybe about how he always gets the fun and the women while Pyotr gets to drive everyone home. Perhaps. Who really knows what was being alluded to? He was very cryptic.

I honestly thought it was a specific reference to something. My knowledge of American culture is rather limited.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we try to get an impression of Sasha's curse mark without trying to be too inappropriate and we start our journey to find a way to remove it. We also have another blackboard full of clues to solve and I really show my lack of knowledge of the horror genre.

We're nearing the end of Pyotr's storyline now, I believe that we should have things wrapped up in the next update. I wasn't expecting so much content in this game, I knew that a straightforward playthrough was fairly lengthy but there is a ton of additional dialogue to go along with it. Not to mention the shear amount of descriptions for a good chunk of scenery items too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

You've never heard of Maize Grist Offerlee?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Apologies for the lack of an update lately. I'm currently fighting off tonsilitis and not really feeling up to the task. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of Pyotr's storyline.

I hadn't realised that it's been two weeks since the last update. I'm still not 100% but I felt well enough to record today, there were a couple of fluffs during the session but it went fairly well on the whole. I did cut out a small section of this video as I repeated a couple of questions that I had already asked Sasha earlier in the video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Our work isn't done yet. We start helping out another friend in this video and this time it's a problem on a global scale.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we start to explore the satellite and it's a rather quiet place. We do make a new friend though who wants us to be one of the gang. This part of the game feels a little slow-paced, there isn't a whole lot of dialogue and the whole place is eerily quiet. This part of the game seems to involve a lot of trial and error, we experienced it with Squish's ship and now we're getting the same treatment on the satellite. There are some vague hints here and there but you're left to your own devices for the most part.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of Squish's storyline. This was very short compared to the first two adventures but there was a distinct lack of dialogue compared to this one. It was an interesting adventure but there wasn't a whole lot of hints to get through it, or maybe there were and I missed them. I was examining everything around those control panels but wasn't getting any useful information from them.

sb hermit posted:

I find it hilarious that our companion on this trip is one of the few people who wear a hat in the bar, and I had half expected the game to show him with a hand on his hat at all times due to the zero G.

They have had a few graphical changes to the avatars so either this was an oversight or Noah is wearing a very tight hat.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is another fairly short video but at the same time a fairly lengthy interim between Squish's story and the next. In this video, we catch up with our old friends and we meet a couple of new friends. Both of these new friends need our help and my decision to choose one of them was based solely upon the fact they were on the screen as soon as we re-entered Callahan's.

sb hermit posted:

Something has been on my mind for the last few weeks.

There is a really old DOS shareware game that consists of a bunch of minigames. One of those involves getting a spaceship to take off. The user interface consists of the entirety of the dashboard, rendered in ASCII. I think.

Anyways, all I wanted to say was that I guess the bulk of the gameplay for this chapter was the experimentation and puzzle solving, which probably ate up a lot of development hours since this is probably not something that could just lean on Spider Robinson’s excellent writing.

I'm glad that they did decide to experiment with the storylines as it does make things more interesting. One of the downsides to showing this off in an efficient manner is that it skips all of the fun of exploring the environments and tinkering with everything to figure out just how everything works, completely bypassing the developer's hard work into problem-solving.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We visit Al Phee's timeline in this video and we make some new friends while we're looking around the place.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We spend a lot of our time speaking with Hervé, the local tattooist. At least 75% of this video is spent there and most of the time there is spent there is for purely optional dialogue. We do accomplish a couple of things though so progress has been made.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Jake works on joining the organisation. He has the tattoo and now he just needs to look the part, find a sponsor and get his harassment voucher filled in.

I felt like I wasted a lot of time in the final 6-7 minutes as there was a lot of written dialogue in trying to solve one puzzle. There were a couple of places where I could have spent more time with as I could have gone for other options but I felt like time was slipping away more than usual in this recording so I will revisit them in the next update. I like to plan things in advance so I can find a good place to stop but time seems to slip by way too fast when I'm recording a video so it never usually ends up where I was aiming for.

sb hermit posted:

while listening to the tattoo artist’s rant, It just struck me that environmentalism really started to hit pop culture in the mid 90s. Especially in media targeting kids, such as books and the classic cartoon Captain Planet

nevertheless, it feels like the future is still doing ok with futuristic buildings and medicine

still, I could do without the cannibalism

I meant to reply to your posts. Thank you for for the information regarding Hervé.

Also, cannibalism?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

I find it funny that the fridge-guarding goon doesn't just try to read Jake's mind whenever he sees him opening the fridge door. Maybe the guy's never had "V" (which feels unlikely because supposedly everyone uses it), or never thinks to read your mind to see what Jake's intentions are (a bit more likely, but I figured it would have been the go-to solution for a lot of problems).

The mechanic claimed he could read Jake's mind but he clearly either couldn't or was ignorant of them. Maybe it works better for some people or some people have just learnt to tune other people's thoughts out?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of Al Phee's storyline. I probably should have ended the last video after I had returned the kidney to Ratzass as this video went on for a little longer than intended, but it is what it is. We have one more person to save and then we can all live happily ever after... unless something else pops up.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We spend most of our time in this video chatting to people in the bar. I was in two minds about cutting the video early and starting the adventure with Joe fresh in the next video but the first section didn't take too long to get through. It took a lot longer initially as it took me several attempts to wrap my head around a puzzle, but I eventually got through it after... eight attempts? This is also another video where I bang on about nothing much at times, it's one of those times where I have things that I want to say but the words aren't coming out properly. So be prepared for some rambling here and there.

I'm enjoying the puns and I'm getting a fair amount of references. I'm failing a lot at some of the older American references outside of popular media.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm in no rush, it's been a pretty chill adventure game so far and I'm happy to take my time with it. I wasn't planning to go all out on content like I have in other LPs but I will try to get as much content in as I can during a somewhat normal playthrough.

I was thinking that it's only been a matter of hours in game, but we've not had to endure the plane trips, car rides and coach journeys that Jake has.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It looks like we're only 2 or 3 videos away from the end of the LP. This is definitely been one of the longer adventure games that I've done and I'm almost sad that we're nearing the end of it.

I have no idea what I'm going to LP after this. I have some more 90s adventures in mind, as well as a few from the early 00s. This has been a very chill LP so far, maybe it's time to dive blind into some insanity.

Joe Chill posted:

Jake's family :smith:

I retrospect, I'm glad I played the game before I read the first book. The game does a good job building up what happened with Jake's family before out right explaining it while the book just explains it right away.

I do want to read the books but it seems like they're now out of print. I may have to scour soke charity shops where I live but I'm not holding out much hope.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Spider narrates at least some of the audiobooks, if that’s a way you like reading.

Definitely been enjoying the LP so far, keep up the good work!

That might be a good bet, I'll keep an eye out for those two. I'm not looking to buy yet but I will closer to the time when I'm nearing the end of what I'm reading at the moment.

Thank you for your kind words! I'm hoping to have another update up in the next couple of days and it's going to be an interesting one.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Jake may have broken through the fence but he still has a long way to go and more obstacles to get through to reach Ralph. I thought that I could finish this segment in one go so I recorded the whole thing in one session, but it ended up being a little over 50 minutes so I decided to split the video to make it a two-parter. I'll most likely post the second part this weekend.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I remember the end bit being conceived of by some linguist but only remember the first two parts of how "ghoti" is "fish".

When spoken aloud:
The 'gh' in words like rough, tough, and enough forms an 'f' sound. (ruf, tuf, enuf)
The 'o' in 'women' forms an 'i' sound. (wimen)

It's novel to presumably make that into a cryptogram-adjacent puzzle, but I'd be worried about decoding the 'alphabet' either being a pain or being stuck having to look up resources that would amount to a guide in practice.

You've hit the nail on the head with this puzzle. We will get some form of answers to some of them in the next update, you'll also witness a moment where I'm like a deer in the headlights trying to solve one of these during live play.

sb hermit posted:

I'm not sure if the panting sounds like a handsaw or someone using sandpaper with coarse grit

Now that you mention it it does remind me of sandpaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Here is the third and final part of our adventure with Joe. We have made our way inside and have found Ralph, now we just need to find our way out.

I have come to a tentative decision on what I'm going to LP after this game is over, I think I'm ready to be punished again.