Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Definitely have some GAS right now, on a roll with buying old film cameras. Got an M3 from KEH and first roll developed off of it. Pretty happy with how these turned out. The Zeiss ZM lens has good contrast and saturation. I love how film naturally handles high dynamic range scenes well.

I bought a 5 pack of Velvia off Adorama on backorder. Who knows when it will actually show up. I'm thinking of stocking up on Fujifilm due to the hysteria of them possibly stopping their film production.

I got an old Nikon FE2 off ebay. It seems to be working, but the mirror bumper is disintegrating so I need to buy one of those light seal kits and redo the seals. Theres some crud transferred to the mirror- any advice on how to clean it? I don't want to scratch the mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LimaBiker posted:

To expose it at 1600, while the camera thinks it's 400, you can just set the exposure compensation to -2. It will then expose as if it were 1600 iso film.

Alternatively, find the DX code for 1600 iso film, and get creative with a strip of self adhesive aluminium tape and some squares of masking tape.

Ok maybe I’ll load it up with the 400 and do -2 exposure comp. My only hope is it remembers that between shots. If I have to set it every time there’s no way I shoot a whole roll correctly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hello again film thread. I bought another even dumber thing:

What kind of speed film should I run in this? Here are the available shutter speeds, lens is 50mm f2.8. I'm unlikely to ever use it outside of daylight conditions:

I'm guessing like 100?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 7, 2024

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
The upper limit for normal usage would be 400 ISO in full sun given the range of shutter speeds (sunny 16 ftw). In reality, the top shutter speed is likely slower than the inscribed 1/300s. Foma 200 @ f/16 & 1/300 in full sun would probably be a good match.

Once upon a time, anything rated 100 ISO/ASA was considered a high-speed film. For something a bit more period, try PanF+ or Vision3 with it's whopping 50 ISO, one of Film Ferrania's new offerings, or something more exotic like FPP Sonic 25 if you're confident in your lab.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh sweet, that's easy enough. I'll give the panF a crack as it's fairly cheap, thanks!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I learned two things today:

1) my Kodak Retina focus adjust does not actually adjust. It is stuck at near focus and has been for at least 13 years.
2) some films are supposed to be prewashed before developing. Oops.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

carticket posted:

I learned two things today:

1) my Kodak Retina focus adjust does not actually adjust. It is stuck at near focus and has been for at least 13 years.
2) some films are supposed to be prewashed before developing. Oops.

I learned #1 after a 2 week road trip and vacation. All rolls, garbage. The old retina is like a abusive relationship. You get abused but you can't help but go back and try to fix them.

What type of film requires a prewash? I've only ever done c41 and rinsed beforehand, but Ive probably forgotten before.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

a dingus posted:

I learned #1 after a 2 week road trip and vacation. All rolls, garbage. The old retina is like a abusive relationship. You get abused but you can't help but go back and try to fix them.

What type of film requires a prewash? I've only ever done c41 and rinsed beforehand, but Ive probably forgotten before.

Further research says it's not required, but I turned a batch of HC110 dilution B black by running TMax rolls through without prewashing them, or so I'm told.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, Foma 100 goes bright green, TMax purple. No need to prewash but I find hypo-clear is the best thing to clean up any residual dyes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I didn’t know this was prolific enough to be a meme but lol that someone’s making stickers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Weeeeeell..........

I was right. I fired the camera up and was immediately greeted with a BC error as soon as I tried to fire the shutter. I followed the usual youtube solution of "take the front case off and smack the magnet". That worked for a couple of shots, then it would jam up again. What finally seems to have fixed it was spraying a bit of contact cleaner on the magnet and then letting it fire about 100 times. It jammed once or twice right in the beginning, but once the contact cleaner worked its way in, it was fine and now can fire without jamming.

I have two remaining issues, one is that the in-viewfinder meter has an issue displaying properly, part of it is bright and part of it is dim. I think the actual meter is fine, just the display for it is wonky. And the back dial doesnt work. This sucks, and I'll see if there is a way to take the film back apart to clean it, but otherwise film backs dont seem to be too expensive on ebay

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Double weeeeell……

The film drive is broken. When you load film the camera sees it but doesn’t load it. When you fire frames off, the film transport mechanism doesn’t move.

I took the camera apart a bit, but that stuff is buried deep in there and the chances of me getting it working AND getting it back together without breaking more stuff are slim to none.

It was too good to be true I guess

Thanks for reading my 1N livejournal

I've never been one to know when to give up on a bad idea, so as soon as I figured out that my 1N was a bust because it was a used, ancient film camera, I turned right around and bought another used, even more ancient film camera! I got the 1N's older brother, the EOS 1, basically the same camera with fewer autofocus points and no viewfinder shutter for long exposures

So far it powers up, doesnt error out, will load and rewind film, and the rear dial works great, so its already off to a much better start! Now I just need to get it home so I can make sure it doesnt have any issues accepting lenses, and then its off to shoot a test roll

On the left: New and busted
On the right: Old hotness

The new one is in fantastic shape, hardly a mark on it, so I'm hoping it lived an easy life. I wish there was a way to tell how many shutter activations these old bodies have, but I'll just have to take solace in the fact that its clean, and has a manufacture date of 91, which is later in the EOS 1's lifecycle.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 8, 2024

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
A kid off Facebook marketplace was selling a box of vintage Kodak cameras for $100 that belonged to his father.

One of the cameras is one of those motion picture cameras. It seemed to be working okay when I messed around with it. Several of the cameras worked but had slow shutter speeds I can imagine the lube is very dried up. There's a bunch of folding cameras that I haven't even figured out how to open yet. It has a Land Camera 150 as well in decent condition, that shoots roll film that is no longer made (apparently can convert it to shoot 120 film) The film was interestingly still in the camera but it looked used up

This is cool, film expired in 1931! Part of me is curious to see if it can still be shot and developed

Interestingly, I opened up the box that appeared to be a camera box. It ended up being an entire box of Kodachrome slides!

I offered to give the slides back if they had memories, but he didn't want them and said I can "throw them away". I definitely don't think I will be throwing these away. I can separate the slides that appear to have family members or key memories to give him back later. Hopefully I can find a Kodak carousel and view some of these slides.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lollybo posted:

This is cool, film expired in 1931! Part of me is curious to see if it can still be shot and developed

Nice find! I would absolutely try that film if I were you. Worst that can happen is it doesn’t turn out.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That polaroid is the pick of the bunch. People convert them to shoot 4x5 sheet film and they're great at that.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cool haul! You can get a nice slide viewer for like $25 on Amazon. Much easier than setting up the projector.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I took my seemingly perfectly functional practika to the marina for a test run, this is the first roll I've had developed from it. Everything seems to function correctly except it looks like the view finder is kinda offset sideways? Idk how to describe it, here are some potato shots of two crappy prints that make it really obvious:

When I took the pic the buoy was totally centered, I don't think this is a skill issue because I don't have a problem with my other camera. I know the lens isn't the issue because again, it works fine on my other camera.

Again the walkway was pretty close to perfectly centred in the viewfinder.

What causes this? Can I fix it somehow?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just crop. I can barely remember how I composed my photos anyway, intent is in the edit.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I took my seemingly perfectly functional practika to the marina for a test run, this is the first roll I've had developed from it. Everything seems to function correctly except it looks like the view finder is kinda offset sideways? Idk how to describe it, here are some potato shots of two crappy prints that make it really obvious:

Is one of your eyes further to the left or right than the other? One of mine is definitely higher than the other, or one leg is shorter because the horizon is never straight on my pictures.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Also if your scans and prints are from a lab they could have hosed up the scanning position. Look at the negs and see if they're similarly off

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

a dingus posted:

Is one of your eyes further to the left or right than the other? One of mine is definitely higher than the other, or one leg is shorter because the horizon is never straight on my pictures.

It's got nothing to do with my eyes etc, I have no problems with my other camera. This camera just seems to cut off the left hand edge of the picture when you're looking through the viewfinder. So if you're standing dead center in front of an object it will appear perfectly head on in the photo but off to the right.

I'm not interested in editing or cropping things digitally, the whole reason I switched to film is cause I have no interest in that stuff. But that's neither here nor there. The issue is definitely in the camera because again, I've never had this problem with my other camera at the same lab over the course of a bunch of rolls. I don't really see how the lab could've hosed it up but I'm not that clear on how that side works so maybe. Seems unlikely.

I'm thinking the viewfinder or mirror or something is misaligned somehow? Or it's just east German shityness? It's a fifty year old camera.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Slavvy posted:

I'm thinking the viewfinder or mirror or something is misaligned somehow? Or it's just east German shityness? It's a fifty year old camera.

You’re probably aware, but remember viewfinders typically don’t have 100% coverage. For example, my Nikkormat FT2 viewfinder has 92% coverage which was extremely apparent when I developed my first roll after getting a 24mm lens.

Maybe your viewfinder is somehow misaligned and all of the missing horizontal coverage is on one side. I have no idea if or how that would be possible tho.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I very much doubt the viewfinder / mirror is misaligned. That would lead to a whole host of other problems which would mean missing focus. The only thing I can think of is that the silvering has come off one side of the mirror, but also that would mean you wouldn't see the full image in your viewfinder. The best thing you can do is review the negatives as with just scans you're at the mercy of whatever the lab does. Labs are not particularly interested in providing you the best scan possible, only a good enough one for every customer, and labs routinely mess up.

Also you should edit, a negative is just sheet music, the edited image is your performance.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's got nothing to do with my eyes etc,

I'm almost positive you have one eye more to the right of the other and vice versa.

I'm just loving with you but you should crop your photos either digitally or on the enlarger.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's an SLR right? I know horizontal calibration can be an issue with rangefinders, but I've never heard of such a thing in an SLR... If you look at something with parallel lines in the viewfinder do they look parallel?

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Dive Bars: Nature's Tripod

If having an SLR doesn't earn you a side-eye then ordering a Manhattan up definitely will.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Update: looked at the negatives and they were perfectly centered, lab hosed up somehow.

Time to find a new place I guess

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Update: looked at the negatives and they were perfectly centered, lab hosed up somehow.

Time to find a new place I guess

If you're doing black and white and really keen on it then home processing is the way to go. It's super cheap and the quality you'll get out of it will surpass any lab you can find. Initial investment for 35mm might look like $400 - $500 of gear (developing gear, chemicals, scanner, negative storage) but at least in Australia that's quickly recouped. My local charges $25 for dev and high res scan, it cost me 4c to process one roll.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Megabound posted:

If you're doing black and white and really keen on it then home processing is the way to go. It's super cheap and the quality you'll get out of it will surpass any lab you can find. Initial investment for 35mm might look like $400 - $500 of gear (developing gear, chemicals, scanner, negative storage) but at least in Australia that's quickly recouped. My local charges $25 for dev and high res scan, it cost me 4c to process one roll.

It was xp2, so a fair bit cheaper per roll than 'real' BW, but I take your point

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It was xp2

Fancy that, so was the Manhattan snapshot, metered at ISO 800 and processed in C-41 bleach bypass.

From the same roll a ~12x enlargement onto 3.5x5" paper.

After a few more printing sessions I'm going to bleach & re-fix the negatives to see if it makes any difference.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That looks fantastic, love the texture

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

lollybo posted:

Interestingly, I opened up the box that appeared to be a camera box. It ended up being an entire box of Kodachrome slides!

I offered to give the slides back if they had memories, but he didn't want them and said I can "throw them away". I definitely don't think I will be throwing these away. I can separate the slides that appear to have family members or key memories to give him back later. Hopefully I can find a Kodak carousel and view some of these slides.

I love found photos, especially slides, I’ve started collecting them and archiving them when I can. We have a found photos thread too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got my film back from my California trip, and I'm disappointed to find that most of them are underexposed. They were all shot on my ME Super on auto mode for simplicities sake, but it looks like either the meter is off in the camera, or the shutter is fast (I'm imagining shutters normally fail to a slower speed, rather than faster?). I'll have to see if I can rescue them in Lightroom.

I guess I'm glad I got the EOS1, which almost has to have a more accurate meter than the ME. Maybe I'll shoot a roll completely manually metered on the ME and see if its the shutter or meter thats messing me up.

ALSO, is it a valid test to take my 5D and my EOS1 out and compare their metering results (assuming the same lens on both)? My 5D meters fine, so I'd guess if I set it to the same ISO as the EOS1 I could use it to validate the metering on the EOS1?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I got my film back from my California trip, and I'm disappointed to find that most of them are underexposed. They were all shot on my ME Super on auto mode for simplicities sake, but it looks like either the meter is off in the camera, or the shutter is fast (I'm imagining shutters normally fail to a slower speed, rather than faster?). I'll have to see if I can rescue them in Lightroom.

I guess I'm glad I got the EOS1, which almost has to have a more accurate meter than the ME. Maybe I'll shoot a roll completely manually metered on the ME and see if its the shutter or meter thats messing me up.

ALSO, is it a valid test to take my 5D and my EOS1 out and compare their metering results (assuming the same lens on both)? My 5D meters fine, so I'd guess if I set it to the same ISO as the EOS1 I could use it to validate the metering on the EOS1?

Yes you can test it that way. Ideally the same corrected focal length so you on don't get a different scene to meter.

When you say you got your film back, you mean just negatives that you're going to scan right? You're not talking about prints? If it's the latter the negs may be properly exposed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Yes you can test it that way. Ideally the same corrected focal length so you on don't get a different scene to meter.

When you say you got your film back, you mean just negatives that you're going to scan right? You're not talking about prints? If it's the latter the negs may be properly exposed.

Just negatives, no prints

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Beve Stuscemi posted:

ME Super light meters dying is pretty common, mine is consistently about 2 stops under. You can adjust with the exposure comp dial if it's consistent.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
The film speed dial on one of my ME Supers is janky, so that's worth checking out. If you wiggle the dial a little it changes the speed and you can watch the shutter speed dance up and down in auto mode.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I got another OM-2 for a song, and it seems like there's some light leak issues. I've ordered new seals from eBay, but I wonder if worn light seals could cause underexposed photos?

Light leak:

Is black and white film more sensitive when it comes to over/underexposure? I've taken some great shots with colour film in this camera, but maybe colour film has more leeway when it comes to underexposure?

afen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 11, 2024

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
The light meter in the camera is probably out of calibration, because a light leak wouldn't cause pictures to be underexposed. There's probably a leak around the film door since the orange color is normally created by light passing through the orange back of the film.

I thought b/w film was normally more forgiving but maybe it depends on the film stock. Have you tried pushing the contrast around in post?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No light seals won't cause underexposed photos. Are you scanning at home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

afen posted:

I got another OM-2 for a song, and it seems like there's some light leak issues. I've ordered new seals from eBay, but I wonder if worn light seals could cause underexposed photos?

Light leak:

Is black and white film more sensitive when it comes to over/underexposure? I've taken some great shots with colour film in this camera, but maybe colour film has more leeway when it comes to underexposure?

I would guess shutter speeds being off before light meter calibration for most cameras.