Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Finally got my Leica III back from being serviced locally(don't ask me why a leica iii was what i ended up starting with, i bought it on a whim when I didn't know poo poo about poo poo). Been like 6 months, the shop I went to is run by one guy who only takes cash and it's literally like walking out of a time machine when you go in there. Cool shop, just took a while. Anyway, looking forward to shooting some film again and being told it all looks terrible.

I read the OP and wow I'm glad I never got around to buying any Cinestill rolls. Will be telling my(vanishingly small group of) film friends about that immediately. I came across Atlanta Film Company yesterday while perusing available film stocks and bought a few rolls of ECN2 stuff and some repackaged expired Fuji 125T. Hopefully they aren't secretly terrible.

My dad also bought me a Canon 85mm f1.9 as a Christmas present. Can't wait for that to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
^^ I've heard that as well, but people seem to have no issue with any of the Jupiter lenses that I've seen on YouTube. I also have an Industar collapsible 50 that is(at least functionally) identical to the Elmar 50 and that has not given me any trouble.

The big rear end lens on it right now is a Leica 135 "Hektor" f4.5. For whatever reason that particular one is the most affordable Leica glass you can get from this era(presumably the low speed). I picked it up for about 140 bucks a year or two ago.

I'll edit this post shortly when I get on my computer to post some example shots with both!

edit: film is kodak colorplus 200. i don't remember any aperture or speed settings - this was before my camera was serviced, and it would hang up on anything below 1/60, so these are the good ones.

These all got scanned from a professional lab in Denver and I haven't done any cropping or color correction from what they sent me.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 15, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you! I don't remember when all the letter updates were rolled out, I think IIIc was the last one before/during the war. You could also send in your body for an upgrade kit. Mine is an unmodified III with German markings (Z instead of B for bulb time, zu and auf on the bottom latch etc) with a serial date production year in 1935. Little weird to think about but whatever.

I like how (generally) affordable screw mount lenses are but if I had known more going in I probably would have gone for a Canon P just for quality of life improvements. As it stands I'll probably use this for a long time and look for an M mount body at some point in the future and get an adapter to keep using the lenses I have.

I'm a CNC machinist by trade but rarely have time for projects of my own, but whenever I do I'd like to make a double-shoe adapter - I ordered a modern digital lightmeter and I really like the idea of it sitting on the camera next to my big goofy universal viewfinder you can see in my picture. E: although now that I think about it that might introduce parallax issues... Dunno how drastic though.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 15, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
That's super vibrant, though. I really enjoy how much those berries are popping out of the picture.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

a dingus posted:

So I decided that slide film wasn't expensive enough for me and I wanted to try and make some videos. Does anyone mess around with 16mm? Is there a film or video thread? This is a Bell & Howell 70DR. Before Bell & Howell became some as-seen-on-TV brand that sells old people garbage they don't need they actually made some nice cameras. Apparently this one is the VW beetle of movie cameras, being designed in the 1920s and produced relatively unchanged until the 1970s.

Heyyy, I didn't mention it in my last couple posts but I'm also about to start dicking around with this poo poo. I picked up a Kodak Brownie 8mm(regular/double, not Super 8) for a few bucks at a flea market. It seems like it's going to be pricey no matter what, but shooting 16mm will probably be more readily available for you. The famous Dwayne's Photo develops movie film. To find any double 8 I had to order a roll+dev+scan bundle from FPP. It'll be a while before I really shoot it, I have a long ski weekend planned in February that I'll probably shoot the whole reel on.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Got a shiny new lightmeter. Now I just need my buddy with a printer to make me a 2-to-1 adapter so I can use my universal viewfinder.

Edit: a short time later and my print is done. It's so goofy and I love it.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 27, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
This guy. I found it in a review of different cold shoe mounted meters. Shipping to the states took... idk, two weeks maybe. Seems to be a pretty good quality product at least from using it today, we'll see how accurate it was. Til now I had either been doing sunny sixteen or using a free app on my phone.

https://hedeco.de/

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Lol I did notice that, but the screen does turn off after a few seconds so hopefully it won't be a huge issue going forward. There's also some screen lock functionality that I haven't messed with just yet.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That’s just 135mm on a rangefinder though, the 90mm frame lines on a regular VF are like a postage stamp (with parallax).

I find myself wishing I had integrated frame lines sometimes but the window on the viooh is pretty good. I'll leave out how often I forget to set the parallax on it...

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

lollybo posted:

I bought a color skopar 35 2.5 for my IIIf. Ended up making one of those viewfinders from a scavenged Canon owl. I love the mix of old and less old, German and Japanese. Something cool about using glass made in 2000s with a camera where you still have to cut the film leaders, and the highest ISO rating recorded is 100. I'm interested in how the pictures will turn out. I have two pictures, one with the lens hood and one without. Is it kosher to walk around with a UV filter for lens protection without a cap over it and using the filter alone for protection? My seller was nice enough to include 3 nice UV filters. I'm thinking of wearing it under my jacket as well.

Gang. I was thinking about picking up an Ultron 35 aspherical for mine but I decided to upgrade my collapsible soviet 50mm instead.

Canon 50mm f1.4 with a hood and a few filters. Should make me shoot 50 more often, I didn't really like the Elmar knockoff as it required sticking your fingers next to the front element to change apertures.

I swear to god, one day I will have some pictures to post here. The local place(Mike's Camera in boulder) had their C41 machine go down so they had to send my first post-CLA test roll to another location, it's been just about a month on the dot. Called on Monday and they said it should be in the mail yesterday, if it's not here by tomorrow I'll call again. I also have a roll of pushed 500t ECN2 sent out and am mailing a couple more rolls somewhere else after work this afternoon.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Lab question: I have an itch to pick up some Ilford 3200 as I like two things: shooting handheld in available light and visible grain. Internet suggests that the "actual sensitivity" of the film is ISO 1000. So if I rate it at 3200 on my meter, what do I mark on the film canister/lab order form? Is that pushed?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Okay, right on, thank you. And to answer your other post, I would be totally down for a Denver shoot sometime. Things are currently a little crazy (spouse medical stuff) but things are calming down. Maybe springtime or something - I'll shoot you a PM around then!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Watched Mann's Ferrari last night and though I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of old cameras it was a lot of fun to watch the mid century press scenes and check out all the cameras - and less fun watching the extras holding them just kinda waggle them around without winding the shutters.

Also Mike's Camera in Boulder appears to have lost my film. Great. They have a record of it showing back up in-store *last week* after they sent it to their other location. Didn't get a call or anything - I have had to badger them all month to find out anything. So no Christmas photos for me I guess.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

My Fuji rolls got here. I didn't have any more time tonight to start messing with darktable or anything so I just tweaked the color and contrast on this a little bit in a basic image viewer. I like this shot more than the other landscapes I took this month so I'll probably rescan it after being a little more diligent about getting dust particles off of it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
My (digital shooting) friend convinced me that Lightroom was the way to go, and I sprung for NLP. First properly(as best as I know how) scanned and edited image. Bonus points, the roll I was upset about losing showed up, so this is one from that. Leica iii, 135mm Leica Hektor f4.5, Kodak Colorplus 200.

My flatbed scanner is an Epson V370, scanning with VueScan into a .dng. It's older and with the full image file(and probably in that linked one) I can see like... stitching errors in a few places from the scanning process. Kind of a bummer. One day I'll spring for something nicer.

Should I ask for critique here, or should I edit a couple more and ask in the chill thread?

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 1, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I was hoping this would no longer be an issue after my CLA, and hopefully it'll go away with use and time, but on at least this one shot there's a lighter section from the shutter curtain not being totally synced. Thankfully it's the only one I've noticed from the rolls I've currently shot. My notes say it was shot at 1/500, but the other ones I shot at that speed seem fine. Hopefully just a rare thing. Anyway, my question is - is there a way to color correct just that one section in Lightroom? I am very new and I don't know all the tools at my disposal.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Got back a roll of Vision3 500t that I pushed one stop. This is really the only one I liked out of the batch, other than a few photos of friends that weren't really for art purposes. This roll was mostly to test shooting handheld at night - there's a rather boisterous wedding I'm headed to and I want to shoot in low exterior light+barroom light while I'm there getting lovely. That experiment seems to have worked, at least.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/200029749@N06/shares/49746D4076

edit: okay I kinda like this one too. I'd like to go back at some point and see if the back sides of the silos are also illuminated at the base, I think it'd be a better image without the seating area. Also makes me want to go shoot the abandoned sugar mill in town.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 7, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

lollybo posted:

Sorry this is an older post, I just bought a canon 1.4 (one of my above photos was taken with it) after seeing multiple positive reviews. It blocks the finder on the Leica III however, how did you get past that part? I ordered a voigtlander Kontur finder, but it’s hard to get used to.

Honestly I just kind of wing it. I know what else is in the scene so having the bottom right third or so of the frame obscured isn't a huge deal for me. I have an external viewfinder as well but I only use that for my 85 and 135.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I'm no expert but since I'm also shooting a III, I'll chime in - is there something loaded right now? If your film is bunched up badly it can push against the curtain like that. If not, and it just kinda looks like that, I'd run it through the range of shutter speeds with the lens off and see if anything looks amiss. If any speed hangs up noticeably then I'd send it in, or if you end up having trouble loading in the future.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

02 24 sugar mill F400 18-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

Local graveyard has a sign I find rather portentous.

edit: updated to reflect some tweaks that i made

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 7, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

ooh man i am really thinking about getting one of the OM models. My heart is set on the 4 just because lizard brain is saying "newer=better" even though I know that's not true. The main draw is the dedicated hot shoe and shutter speeds doubling to 1/2000. The 2N looks way more affordable on ebay though... Post back when you've shot with it some please

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

I am so, so very weak. Picked this up today from an eBay seller that I noticed was local. Haven't loaded anything, I want to pore over the manual first but I've been fiddling with it to get familiar. I feel like I just stepped out of a time machine into a dazzling bright future.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 9, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Just develop the film but then also start buying Vision 3 from somewhere if you want to shoot cine film because halation sucks and looks bad :colbert:

edit: i have been buying from https://www.atlantafilmco.com/ for a little while now and I believe they come out a couple bucks cheaper for film+dev than other sellers(I scan at home). I'm also a sucker for a nice label. I did a roll of their "Koji 125"(expired refrigerated Fuji cinema film) in Tucson that I'm pretty stoked for.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 13, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I will be bookmarking both of those places! I meant "cheapest by a couple bucks for ECN2 film+dev," though. My current cheapo C41/B&W mail-in, Reformed Film Lab in Florida, appears to be a dollar or so more expensive than the places you linked.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Wowwww I loving love all those. I'm a machinist by trade and I wish I was allowed to walk around our facility taking pictures but all of our stuff is controlled aerospace so pictures are verboten. I was out shooting today and was trying to find a way to get a decent vantage point of the cement plan out here but no luck. If you missed it, I did give in to my impulses and got myself an OM4 and a couple lenses!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
edit since i'm jumping ahead in line: ^^ i don't really know anything about development but the thing I've always heard is if you're not sure about something, try stand developing overnight? Look up some recipes for the film. That'd be my best guess to get anything useful out of it.

SLR question. My new-to-me OM4 features a little diopter adjuster on the viewer that I have cranked as far as I can to make the focusing screen sharp to my eye. I have two lenses, a 50mm f1.4 and a 75-150 f4. My focusing screen is the horizontal split-prism type. This seems most noticeable on the 50mm, but I can actually focus *past* infinity. I just verified this since it's a clear day and the moon's up in the sky. "infinity" focused by eye seems to be about 2mm of rotation before the infinity stop. I am in the middle of my 2nd roll with this camera, I was planning on sending both out at the same time - I knew I should have listened to that voice in my head that said "shoot a test roll before you go and do anything valuable." Anyway, short of "getting those rolls developed," what can I do to make sure everything is fine and dandy, or make sure I do actually have to send it(or the lens) for an adjustment somewhere? Or am I freaking out over nothing?

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 20, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Megabound posted:

Either the focusing screen is not on plane or the lens is just focusing past infinity. If the focusing screen is in plane and it's just the lens then there will be no issues with your focus as what you see is what you'll get.

Hmmmmmmmmrmrmmmm. Okay. I will just have to wait and see, I guess, I don't exactly know what I'm looking for but nothing inside the camera looks hosed up. There's one or two places local to me that I could take it to once I finish this roll. In the meantime here are some pictures from a friend's birthday weekend(i didn't do any touchups in LR other than cropping since these were all just for fun).

February 2024 Josh Birthday 12-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

February 2024 Josh Birthday 58-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

February 2024 Josh Birthday 71-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

February 2024 Josh Birthday 37-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 20, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I did a "use parchment paper instead of ground glass" test with the back open in bulb mode and I am like 99% sure now that my lens is just focusing past infinity. So that's good.

Less good is I "finished" shooting some double 8 in my dumb little thrift store brownie. Went into a closet and opened up the side and the film is just... everywhere. Pretty sure I hosed up loading the 2nd half somehow. Womp womp.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Man I gotta get some Portra 800. Nice shots, friend.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I know everyone's horny for eclipseposting but I, for one, won't have those ready for a while. In the meantime, testing out a new old-stock offering from Atlanta Film Co, which they've labeled as "Koji 125T." A discontinued Fuji cinema stock that was kept cold stored since 2011, processed in ECN2. These are from a visit to Tucson for a wedding. Metered at 100 ISO, without a warming filter, shot with my Leica III on a Canon 85 f1.8.

I have four other rolls of various vision 3 from the same trip to scan and postprocess this weekend. Hopefully some of them came out visually appealing.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
metering: on my leica I use this guy - Hedeco Lime 2.

https://hedeco.de/

Similar to other modern reflective offerings but I thought the silvery finish matched well on the camera body, plus the price was right at the time. It feels highly effective and accurate in outdoor lighting conditions - shade, cloud, sun, etc., but it definitely seems to struggle indoors(or maybe I do).

On the OM4 I just got it's all internal spot metering + exposure comp unless I'm shooting fast in which case I'm just doing auto exposure based on what gives me an acceptable shutter speed for handheld. Haven't gotten any film from it back yet, though, I've only had it for a month or so.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

004545280004 by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

004545280009 by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

004545280011-Pano by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

004545280014 by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

004545270030 by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

50D is quite nice and so is my new Olympus. These are also professional scans(i got them comped, i never do so ordinarily because of the expense) and it is making me really want to splurge on a high quality dedicated 35mm scanner. There are more than a few in my binder that I would like to see if I can improve with a better scan.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
50D is hardly a new thing but my currently preferred retailer finally started carrying it - my photos from the end of the last page were shot with free promo rolls from Atlanta Film Company. They're running mine and other people's photos on their IG page over the next week. Kinda cool to see my one of my photos posted by someone else even if it's just promotional.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6Ega9xO24i/

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

a dingus posted:

Very cool. I have some 250d on the way from them and I'm having some other stuff developed at the lab they use. Glad to see a nice endorsement. I feel like the vision 3 stocks are slept on a bit because I normally only hear about the non cine stuff, but these pics look great.

I think you'll be happy, 250D is a pretty good look IMO. It seems to have great range for playing around in NLP/Lightroom.

I am starting to feel like my quality bottleneck is definitely my scanner after seeing how crispy a professional scan can get. I'm also probably going to be relegating my leica to home developed B&W walkabouts around town and with friends where I'm not as concerned about super high resolution scans, since the olympus glass I have beats the absolute pants off any of my vintage rangefinder glass.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

big black turnout posted:

This is wild to me. I feel like it's the exact opposite and I almost exclusively hear about the vision stocks (and the god awful halation)

Halation is for suckers. Go check out an ECN2 processor's insta or website - AFC, Midwest Film Lab, or Silbersalz35.

The only thing I feel like I'm missing is not being able to shoot anamorphic. That would really nail "the look," imo.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
i like your living room and the creature in it

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
After having a chat with a friend I have come across a macro project I'd like to start. The cheapest way for me to do any macro would be to use my 50mm f1.4 olympus lens with the extension tubes that Olympus manufactured. Obtaining these isn't going to be difficult, but I have a question.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2044855181...emis&media=COPY

This listing shows the three standard extension tube, plus a fourth one labeled "auto 7". Can someone enlighten me as to what "auto" means in this context and what makes it different than the one just labeled "7"?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Havana Affair posted:

If I understand it right with the auto tubes the aperture works like normal on an Olympus slr where it stays wide open and only stops down when you take the photo. With the non-auto tube it stops down immediately when you change the aperture, kinda like if you were to use it with an adapter on a digital camera. It's the same auto as in the zuiko auto-s whatever your lens is called.

ahhhh, of course. a little more googling would have likely got me there, but thank you. i will now be searching ebay with the word 'auto'.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Megabound posted:

For about the same money as that eBay listing you can get the Olympus bellows and that will be much nicer to use than tubes.

Would that be usable with a standard 50 the way the tubes are? Based on initial lookup of the manual for it it looks like i would also perhaps need a double cable release?

edit: first question answered further down the manual, and as for the double cable release there seems to be a way to only use a single but it sounds like more of a pain. hmm

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Okeydoke, I have ordered a nice looking macro bellows set(and i went ahead and got the double cable release while i was at it) for the OM system. I have one other question which is actually plenty relevant to other types of shooting I like to do - is there any way to lock up the mirror before the shutter fires on the OM system, specifically the 4/4Ti? It seems to do it for you when you're doing a self-timer exposure - as soon as you press the shutter release the mirror goes up and you can no longer see through the viewer and then 10 seconds later the shutter goes. It'd be nice for long exposures and for the macros I have planned to not have to sit there and wait 10 seconds on top of however long I'm exposing. I've gone over the user manual twice and saw no mention of it.