Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Good op, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Developing is easy, takes a small amount of space, and just produces the negative. Enlarging is a lot more involved, takes a lot more space, and produces prints. You can make multiple prints from a negative and you do have a lot of control over the process to adjust contrast etc

e: to echo bobmarleysghost, my whole film workflow is completely stalled out right now because of how much I hate scanning

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 10, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
You don't even need a tent, just a changing bag that can fit on a kitchen counter

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
There's also currently a number of people making automated devices for film development with temperature probes and auto stirring that can make home color easier for whatever that's worth

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

lollybo posted:

I know Cinestill is supposed to be evil, but shot my first roll of it and liked how several turned out. I know they aren't perfectly sharp I shot all of them handheld, but I was usually out and about

I don't want to start a pile on, but my problem with cinestill (ignoring the ongoing corporate controversy) is that every single one of these would look better without being covered in red halation blobs

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Nice ergodox nerd

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
You're welcome. I have the exact same one at home and the black one at work.

On topic question: do y'all have multiple size development tanks? Right now I only have a Paterson 3 reel but I feel like I'd like to have a single reel tank so I don't *have* to shoot 3 rolls.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
How do you deal with inversions when it's going to be taking the film totally out of the liquid?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Outside of Leicas what are some good rangefinders? I wanna get one for my carry everywhere camera since my Dynax 9 is a big ol’ tank that makes it hard to constantly have on me. I’m big into Minoltas so I was looking at the CLE but I’m open to all suggestions really. I want to compare my options before I drop money on one

Fwiw, the CLE is my favorite camera I own and I landed on it after trying multiple fixed and interchangeable lens rangefinders

e: fair warning though, after collecting a handful of m mount lenses I decided that I could justify a digital leica

e2: its biggest downside is its frame lines. The lack of 35 and 50 is a bit of a hindrance if you want to have a lot of lenses

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 25, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah I considered the Hexar but ended up being able to get a better deal on the CLE. It's hard to know if it's hyperbole

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
The Olympus SP was my runner up but the model I got had an inaccurate meter so I gave up on it

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's kind of everywhere online yeah

https://filmphotographystore.com/products/35mm-color-harman-phoenix-color-200-1-roll

e: looks like fpp is on backorder

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1790521-REG/harman_photo_1182094_harmon_phoenix_color_negative.html

https://www.freestylephoto.com/1182094-Harman-Phoenix-200-ISO-35mm-x-36-exp.-Color-Film

https://brooklynfilmcamera.com/collections/35mm-film/products/harmon-pheonix-color

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 3, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
"I'm just holding it for a friend" uh huh sure thing buster

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's actually tied to the model I think, not even the individual unit. I bought a scanner that came with it, returned it because of an issue, and got a new one, but didn't have to change my license from the key I got with the first

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Not a knock on him but i did think the "explosives in a flash???" thing was kind of funny when flash powder existed

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Do they do it in house or send it out?

I expect you're not going to get even vaguely acceptable lab scans without going to a dedicated lab that either already knows the film or with the commercial scanning sheet from Harman in hand.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I don't directly but it looks fine https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Tri-x%20rodinal%2035mm

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I hate FedEx so much and I wish MPB and KEH would let me choose anything else

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah I've gotten "film tested" cameras that had fatal issues, it's not a magic incantation. But somebody with a reputation for CLA'ing cameras is going to be pretty drat trustworthy

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

carticket posted:

Any suggestions for getting Rodinal in the US in under a week? Might be pushing it and maybe that roll will have to wait for the next batch. The shop might actually have some Rodinal on hand with the darkroom chemicals, but I'm waiting to hear back.

https://www.freestylephoto.com/12054-Adox-Rodinal-Film-Developer-500-ml

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Oh wow, that looks amazing. I have a retina iia somewhere that works but is in pretty poor condition. How much did it cost to cla?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
F5 works fully with AF-S G lenses but not E

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 4, 2024

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's an SLR right? I know horizontal calibration can be an issue with rangefinders, but I've never heard of such a thing in an SLR... If you look at something with parallel lines in the viewfinder do they look parallel?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Megabound posted:

One day I’ll own a Plaubel Makina 67

There was one in Jason Lee's shop for like 24 hours but it was gone by the time I went in. Probably for the best for my wallet

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Are there any mail in labs that give dngs or whatever kind of raw/editable files. I really really hate dealing with scanning

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

a dingus posted:

I feel like the vision 3 stocks are slept on a bit because I normally only hear about the non cine stuff, but these pics look great.

This is wild to me. I feel like it's the exact opposite and I almost exclusively hear about the vision stocks (and the god awful halation)

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's not so bad in ECN-2 but it was so overhyped for a while that I still have a bit of a kneejerk negative reaction to it.

Actually, that reminds me, I saw someone talking about processing Ektar in ECN-2 and I was curious what difference that makes. I thought it was a pretty similar process to C41 just with some steps specific to the remjet

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Typically the advice is 1 stop per decade of expiration

Re: pushing: you shoot the film as if it's 400 iso and it's important that you or your lab know that it was pushed because development also needs to be adjusted

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
That's a terrible clock you have failed the Alzheimer's test

great prints :)

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Everything I've heard that doesn't seem like cope is that all fujifilm is discontinued, they just have some back stock

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Don't overlook some of the fixed lens ones either. https://cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah generally around f/8 is good. Usually it's like a couple stops above maximum aperture to a couple stops below minimum aperture

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

theHUNGERian posted:

^Nice!

Re: Velvia 50. Roberts Camera had some in stock, they just arrived, and they have a decent expiration date (07/2025).

Ordered 5 rolls. Don't know when I'll shoot it but it'll go in my fridge for one day

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
A week or two ago Samys had Provia and Velvia in stock online and I almost pulled the trigger but didn't want to commit like $300 to it. I should've just done it

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

lollybo posted:

Wow these are gorgeous! I really like all of them. What developer did you use?

I ordered some Velvia and it came into my mailbox over the weekend (Saturday). I was out of town this weekend so the film was sitting in the mailbox until I got back today (Monday night) where I live in the Southeast, it dipped into the low 80s for a few hours in the afternoons. Would the film still be good? Looking back, I wish I asked a neighbor to bring them in.

Speaking of, I just finished a roll of velvia yesterday. Shot it mostly around my apartment complex's pool over a couple days of being out there with kids and friends swimming and barbecuing.

Megabound posted:

XP2 is a C41 black and white film. You can cross process it with black and white chemistry but that looks like it was done in C41

Not to gatekeep or yuck anybody's yum, this is just a personal thing, but c41 b&w feels very wrong to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Velvia is uh, not the best for skin tones.

Yeah I've seen people say that but the examples I've seen... I kind of feel like people are blowing it out of proportion. I'm hoping it makes up for it in really vibrant pool water and foliage, but hey if it sucks, lesson learned. Plus I also shot some portra 400